Spotlight warning

And this is the part where we moan. If somebody rendered real bad service, weewee'd you off, caused you damage or cheated you (vehicle related), please please let us know by posting it here.
Forum rules
Disclaimer: The views expressed on this entire web site are of the poster only, and do not necessarily represent the views of http://www.Hilux4x4.co.za" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or it's members.

We do encourage our members to please make sure that they can proof the facts they post in the bad service section if they do comment on bad service. We also request our members to please do not get carried away when complaining about bad service. This is a public web site. We would like everybody to know when somebody delivered a bad service bad we do not want it to leave a bad taste in the mouth.
ratel's raider
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 1995 Toyota hilux SFA, 2007 2x4 hilux 3l d4d

Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:19 pm

I went to renew my vehicle licence on the 30th November 2007, and went off with no worries as I received a letter from the registering authority, reminding me to renew my licence disk and it also detailed that I had zero outstanding fines. Well very proud of myself for that one, I went off to renew the licence and was then informed that my hilux had a 1A5 vehicle administration mark query from eNaTIS. Now trying to find out what the a 1A5 is, was a huge mission as I was then informed that I must be dead. So now trying to tell the chap behind the desk that as he can see I a not dead as I am standing in front of him, this logic did not impress him and I was sent on a wild goose chase trying to find someone who could tell me what a 1A5 is till closing time curtailed my frustrated and swearing search. Monday I headed off to another traffic department to try and get to the bottom of this story, and lo and behold all that was need was for someone to call up the 1A5 and print it. Ok now it seems I have spotlights on my rollbar. OK no problem I thought, remove the spots and all is forgiven, Ha not so fast. I contacted a very nice lady at the eNaTIS audit office and she told me to take off the spots, then get an examiner to verify that the spots are off. So I thought OK no problem, removed the spots took my vehicle in to try and find an examiner. No joy, the examiner told me to book the vehicle in for a new road worthy test. I contacted the nice lady at eNaTIS and oops, yes you need to redo the road worthy, then fax the examiners report in before the case goes before a board which will deceide whether to remove the mark off my vehicle record so I can be issued with a new road worthy, and then my licence disk. So I enquired as to how come I have not been fined for having spots on my vehicle (I only use the rollbar spots in the bush), and what proof the traffic dept. has that I use my spots on the road, I was informed the spots are illegal and they don't have to justify or prove anything, it's up to me to prove they are not on my vehicle anymore.

Ok so end result, spots on the rollbar, even if they aren't used on the road, are illegal, it has so far cost me a road worthy three days away from varsity and now I have to wait for the outcome of the board hearing. Not to mention the cost of driving around. Anyway, just thought I should warn anyone out there with spots on your rollbar, best they are removed... And so far I have been very disappointed at how the traffic Dept. has handled this whole episode.
Natural stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time

Scooter
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: JHB
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:33 pm

Now that just sucks but of course have we come to expect anything less of our fantastic JMPD. :evil:
Are they saying that only spots on the rollbar are illegal or spots on the bullbars too? If that is the case then all fitment centres should be warned about it to tell customers (of course that would not happen as money is to be made) :(

I wonder why they are illegal? Is there anyone out there who can shed some 'light' on this subject?
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."

ratel's raider
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:46 pm

When I enquired, they say that no lights on a vehicle may be higher than the headlights, so that rules out rollbar spot lights. Yes the fitment centres should warn people that even having spots above your headlights is illegal.

Knersus
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Kathu
Vehicle: 2.4 Hi Lux 4x4 DC 95'
Club VHF Licence: ZS3EP

Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:47 pm

Well that is now a new one. I am not sure why it is a problem to have spots on the roll bar/ roof rack. This is surely a money making business.

Another question why were we forched to pay additional R30 fee on every license renewal. We are paying for eNatis and it is also screwing us :x :x :x
Eben Pienaar
2.4 Hi Lux 22R 95'
Codan HF radio; Kenwood VHF Hi band; Tait VHF midband; Snorkel; OME suspension; Diff lock on next shortlist. Dis lekker om 'n mens te wees....Jy moet net 'n lekker mens wees

CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:50 pm

I had the luck of inporting two vehicles at the time of the eNatis upgrade. Wat 'n nagmerrie. The R30 bucks is to pay for the new system (which has been hacked a few times already I might add)
To God be the glory

Papa Joe
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: CT - North of the Boerewors curtain
Vehicle: LEGEND 35 - 2004 2.7 D/C Hilux 4x4

Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:07 pm

Back to the spotlight issue ...

Ditto - Spots may not be above the std driving lights!

ALSO, beware, these really cool 4x4 spots most of us have, with the CLEAR LENSES (no reFRactors, .. not reflector, refractor that disperses the beam) are also illegal thru' the Durbanville testing station. Commonly referred to as "landing" lights. (Most makes of Warn, KC, etc) The vehicle will NOT pass roadworthy. (Spotlight covers might work?)
44444-WP
Papa Joe

CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:14 pm

Thanks for the heads-up guys.... was thinking of buying me a decent pair
To God be the glory

DOELLOOS

Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:15 pm

OK, no spots then....

Arri
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 2.7VVT-i Raised Body Raider s/c lwb 2008

Thu May 15, 2008 9:31 pm

What about all these new imports that come out with cheap rollbars and spots on them, How do they pass the roadworthy?
And the Nissan PAth Finder with Hyper roof rails with driving lights all of these are above the driving lights.
Arriwyks
Toyota Fan
arriwyks@gmail.com

ImageImageImageImage

LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Thu May 15, 2008 11:00 pm

Interesting. Like you say Arri, how do Nissan bypass their X-Trail with the Build in "fog" (spots) on the roof. Another, what of the big trucks on the N1 at Colesberg that look like Chrismas trees with lights everywhere they could find them that shine the living daylights out of you at night. Some of my customers fitted the spots on their rollbars with we telling them it is illegall. Some just say it is for above trucks, some say it look nice and then other say they will tale responsibility for it.

But yes, if it goes for 1 it goes for all. It should be possible to cover them with spot covers to solve the matter(that is what they do in Auz), we also tell our customers the spots we fit is for offroad use only.

If you clever also ask the fitment centre if they do not have the driving spots(you will see it has the reflector glass), these will give you also a bit side light aswell and distance, but less distance. I think KC should have available and so will IPF.

Best Regards,
Louis
4x4 Megaworld

Arri
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Fri May 16, 2008 3:26 pm

I have seen many spots with refractive glass lenses, In the old days the law use to be that you need cover any auxilary lights that are above standard wattage or rollbar spots and so on
to show you are not using them on public roads. Nowadays it doesn't matter what you do they can put you through so much incovenience unless you just pay the bribes like at the weigh bridges where they have standards rates for getting passed whether you loaded to spec or overloaded doesn't matter you pay you go , and if you don't pay you suffer. T.I.A like they say.
You get nice upgraded bulbs for your driving lights these days besided the xenon and HID kits; OSRAM produces the Hyper range that runs on stock standard wirring and is just slightly above average the normal output , but delivers up to: 2400/1750 Lumens on your normal headlights, they would have to take out the globe and read the fine print to catch you out, I have heard that they do it on some of these blue globe xenon lookalikes that you can spot in daylight and then a traffic official will check and expect a bribe to let you go by.
You can purchase them from: http://www.rallylights.com/hella/H4.asp#HYPER , the postage is a bit steep on this one though.....
Arriwyks
Toyota Fan
arriwyks@gmail.com

ImageImageImageImage

LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Fri May 16, 2008 6:03 pm

I fitted the IPF H4 fatboys to my Hilux headlights, normally it is 60/55W but these give you an equivalent of 190 Watt on the low beam and 150 Watt on the high beam. Just 2 things wrong is that everyone bright you with your "normal" lights on and the price is tooo high,R2200 :oops: .

I adjusted the headlights a bit down to get away from everyone brighting me.

Regards,
Louis

Arri
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Fri May 16, 2008 8:15 pm

Did you upgrade the wiring harness too? I see IPF offers a simple wiring upgrade that plugs in and draws power straight from the battery.
The pricing is steep on these IPF globes though: http://rocky-road.com/toyipfH4.html

Regards
Arri
Arriwyks
Toyota Fan
arriwyks@gmail.com

ImageImageImageImage

LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Sat May 17, 2008 2:41 pm

Arri,

No, I did not upgrade the wiring, the Fatboys do not require it, before fitment we always inspect your existing loom for cracked insullation, bad connectors and fuse sizing, from there we will tell you if you have to upgrade or not(Price for loom R1800) . The other H4 globes 170/110Watt you do need to upgrade the wiring loom of your bakkie.

Like I say, pricing is tooo high on the globes and the loom. But for someone that do a lot night driving it compares relative to spotlight pricing.

Regards,
Louis

Bushwacker
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vryheid Natal
Vehicle: 2003 HILEX, 35" maxxis. 2009 Prado 120 VX

Mon May 19, 2008 7:47 pm

On my old SFA 2.2, I had 5x Biggies spots with 100W globes on a removable bracket on the rollbar and I only fitted them when going offroad. The two Hella's with 100W globes on the bullbar were brighter than them, but they do work well when it comes to shining over long grass. I can not see the point of it being illegal.

Arri
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Tue May 20, 2008 5:38 pm

That sounds like the solution for high level spots, fitting them on a removable bracket and putting them on when going ofroad, But I'm wandering, say you go on a off road weekend and
fit them, and forget to remove them when passing thorugh some small village, if they spot you , will you still need to do the road worthy over again like the original post's ordeal?
For on road use I would like a headlight upgrade too, not an extreme one baking the paint off the car in front and blinding everybody in the opposite lane of the freeway for two klicks,
but just a decent wide and clear light to spot those dogs , drunk pedestrians and broken vehicles without tail lights in due time .
Arriwyks
Toyota Fan
arriwyks@gmail.com

ImageImageImageImage

ratel's raider
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Tue May 27, 2008 5:12 pm

Just a quick one, when this originally happened my spots were covered by white hella 500 covers. So whether your spots are covered or not they don't see a difference. The second is that I never received any fines or warnings on my spots. So if you have them and some traffis is having a bad day all he has to do is report you and you will find out at your next licenece renewal. So what to do, I have made mine removable, and only use them when I work in the bush. There is not one rule for all in this country, judging by the number of vehicles I see everyday with rollbar spots. Have them if you want to take a chance, but the chaps at roadworthy told me they were doing five a week just on spotlights.

Engel
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: Datsun & Nissan 4x4

Wed May 28, 2008 9:13 pm

And I was going to put some on the rollbar. Thought it had to be covered. Willshelf it for now :evil:
For anything offroad: herman@angeloffroad.co.za
Pofadder recovery kits @ wholesale prices

Pora
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Brakpan
Vehicle: Hilux 2.5 d4d

Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:09 am

I think i know why they might have made it illegal

I know a guy that drove his lux on a quiet road with this spots on "why i dont know" a car was coming towards him and couldn't see clearly
i think he was being blinded so he flashed him letting him know his spots where blinding him
So the guy flashed him back as he was coming closer and couldnt see and he was in the wrong lane, he swerved out the way and totaled his hulix against a tree

so yea u do get people that think their funny sometimes and then boom rights of there hilux because of stupidity

SWARTLUX
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Gauteng
Vehicle: '05 LEGEND 35 2.7 DC 4x4, Monroe Gas allround, Long range tank, UniQ Chip. Platkar '06 Polo 1.6 Comfortline hatchback

Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:27 am

Engel wrote:And I was going to put some on the rollbar. Thought it had to be covered. Willshelf it for now :evil:
Wou self ook op die rollbar sit maar sal dit nou maar eerder los en geld op iets anders spandeer

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:51 pm

The ordinance clearly states that no driving beams to be fitted above the standard head-lights.

At one time I also wanted to fit high level spots and made enquiries ... the local officials were quite OK with it as long as it was on a separate switch altogether and not connected to the normal driving lights.

The problem comes in where you go on a trip and pass through a principality that enforces the letter of the law and you end up with a problem like in the first post. That I can do without, so the idea was shelved .... furthermore, the Lux is quite high already so the height of the legal spots is actually adequate. Then there is always the risk of high level lights getting snagged by branches / brush etc. Yeah, it looks cool but in the overall analysis it's not practical IMO unless one has a 'clip on / clip off' light bar that connects with something like a Brad Harrison plug, and you only fit it when required in off road conditions where it's not likely to get snagged. Becomes a pain in the butt, so for me, not something I want for my vehicle.

;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Andre du preez
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: somerset west
Vehicle: hilux 2.2

Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:38 pm

Sorry vir die een manne maar nog steeds het hulle tyd vir die soort van goed. Ek weet dit is seker dom om so daar aan te dink maar hoeveel mense is dood van spots op dak van 4x4 teen oor taxi's wat omval of ongelukke veroorsaak of wat nie na gegaan word soos hulle moet nie omdat die manne in blou te :twisted: besig is met ander belangrike goed soos... :twisted: :evil:

Black Sam
Town: Pietermaritzburg
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4.0 V6 4x4 Double Cab.

Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:40 pm

I took Black Sam to the testing station during November 2011 as is and it went through test as is, according to the road traffic act these lights on the roll bar should not be categorized as spotlights but as off-road lights and should be covered, I also have 4 Hellla's on the bumper. No problems.
Attachments
Black Sam Spots.jpg
"LIFE'S A JOURNEY, ENJOY THE RIDE"
"WHERE THERE'S A 4X4....... THERE'S A WAY" .
"LEXUS - THE PURSUIT OF PERFECTION"

jacques kotze
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 2,8 4x4 Auto Fortuner. 2,8 4x4 Hilux singlecab.

Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:53 pm

Mud Dog wrote:The ordinance clearly states that no driving beams to be fitted above the standard head-lights.

At one time I also wanted to fit high level spots and made enquiries ... the local officials were quite OK with it as long as it was on a separate switch altogether and not connected to the normal driving lights.

The problem comes in where you go on a trip and pass through a principality that enforces the letter of the law and you end up with a problem like in the first post. That I can do without, so the idea was shelved .... furthermore, the Lux is quite high already so the height of the legal spots is actually adequate. Then there is always the risk of high level lights getting snagged by branches / brush etc. Yeah, it looks cool but in the overall analysis it's not practical IMO unless one has a 'clip on / clip off' light bar that connects with something like a Brad Harrison plug, and you only fit it when required in off road conditions where it's not likely to get snagged. Becomes a pain in the butt, so for me, not something I want for my vehicle.

;-)
Ek het nog nooit van ligte op n rollbar gehou nie. . .maar dis maar net ek.
Ek weet al vir n paar jaar dat enige ligte wat bo jou bakkie se hoofligte is, is onwettig. Die rede hoekom die Nissan's dit kan doen is omdat die voertuig so vervaardig word deur Nissan self en die ligte nie n modifikasie is nie.

Piesang
Town: Grabouw
Vehicle: '99 Hilux SRX d/c 4x4

Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:39 pm

Ek het al 5 jaar terug uitgevind by die plaaslike verkeerd dep dat geen ligte bo jou hoof ligte mag wees nie, ek wou ook ligte op my rollbar sit.

:think: :think: Nou wonder ek net as jy 4x4 se hooflige uithaal, die gate toe bou en jou hoofligte op die dak sit en al die ligt ewat jy kan op kty op die bullbat sit, wat gaan hul dan doen :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ek het so twee weke terug 'n stel rally's gekry wat 190/150 is :shh: vir my lux en golf. :think: Moet ek 'n ekstra relay insit?

"Onderwerp julle dan aan God; weerstaan die duiwel, en hy sal van julle wegvlug." Jak 4:7

Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:01 pm

Piesang wrote:................................

Ek het so twee weke terug 'n stel rally's gekry wat 190/150 is :shh: vir my lux en golf. :think: Moet ek 'n ekstra relay insit?
Pieter hulle sal werk sonder relays maar die kopligte en spots sal sukkel om genoeg krag uit een voer draad te kry. Kry ieder een groot relay (30 A) met dikker kabels wat hom voer en na die spots to gaan , of jy sit 'n relay in vir elke spot, ook met dikker kabels. Kabels behoort direk aan die battery gekoppel te word met 'n 'inline' fuse op elke kabel. Persoonlik sou ek die laas genoemde roete vat. As daar 'n probleem ontstaan kan jy onmiddelik sien op watter voering dit is. Verder het jy 'n extra relay om te gebruik indien nodig as daar êrens op die bakkie een groet terwyl jy ver van hulp af is (dan koppel jy tydelik altwee spots op een relay).

;-)

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:48 am

Mud Dog wrote:furthermore, the Lux is quite high already so the height of the legal spots is actually adequate. ;-)

Except maybe in a dusty convoy where the roll bar spots will be more visible but then I would imagine that one would not want them too bright...

Admittedly I've never had a need for additional spots although properly fitted spots on the roll bar do look cool...

A friend of mine mounted a spot under the roll bar facing rearwards and it works with the reverse lights which I thought to be a nifty idea :thumbup: not so much for off road use but more when backing out your drive way at night...to spot skelms. Wonder how legal that is?

Sebata
Town: Cosmo City
Vehicle: '06 Hilux 4.0l V6 auto 4x4, Iron-Man front bumper, Ali3n Rock-sliders, Old man Suspention, Snokel, 31" Pireli Scorpion Muds
Club VHF Licence: X125

Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:14 am

Engel wrote:And I was going to put some on the rollbar. Thought it had to be covered. Willshelf it for now :evil:
Well that's too later coz I just had 4 Hella's fitted on my rollbar......looks cool, will just have to see what Ekurhuleni metro says......they must just get over it :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: coz those lights don't come cheap
Tau Sello
Sebata, Lion enjoys hunting with Hynas...

Mud Dog

Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:20 pm

Stef wrote:
Mud Dog wrote:furthermore, the Lux is quite high already so the height of the legal spots is actually adequate. ;-)

Except maybe in a dusty convoy where the roll bar spots will be more visible but then I would imagine that one would not want them too bright...

Admittedly I've never had a need for additional spots although properly fitted spots on the roll bar do look cool...

A friend of mine mounted a spot under the roll bar facing rearwards and it works with the reverse lights which I thought to be a nifty idea :thumbup: not so much for off road use but more when backing out your drive way at night...to spot skelms. Wonder how legal that is?
Not legal Stef ..... would have to be on a separate switch at least, not coupled to the reverse lights .... even then I'm not sure that they are legal on a civilian vehicle. I've had them for years without any hitches from traffic officials ..... see this topic re latest comments ....
viewtopic.php?f=153&t=22854" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:24 pm

As far as I know one's not allowed to have a mounted spot the can be swivelled around (like the Escom guys used to have). I guess if it is on a seperate switch or even the aux they should be OK. those on your canopy look like it was 'factory fitted' :thumbup:

Black Sam
Town: Pietermaritzburg
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4.0 V6 4x4 Double Cab.

Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:13 pm

The actual use for the spots on the roll bar is for off-road driving specially in grass were the height of the grass covers your head lights, the the top spots become handy, also as mentioned in dusty situations for visibility. :thumbup:
"LIFE'S A JOURNEY, ENJOY THE RIDE"
"WHERE THERE'S A 4X4....... THERE'S A WAY" .
"LEXUS - THE PURSUIT OF PERFECTION"

Return to “Bad Service”

• Information