Toyota warranty

And this is the part where we moan. If somebody rendered real bad service, weewee'd you off, caused you damage or cheated you (vehicle related), please please let us know by posting it here.
Forum rules
Disclaimer: The views expressed on this entire web site are of the poster only, and do not necessarily represent the views of http://www.Hilux4x4.co.za" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or it's members.

We do encourage our members to please make sure that they can proof the facts they post in the bad service section if they do comment on bad service. We also request our members to please do not get carried away when complaining about bad service. This is a public web site. We would like everybody to know when somebody delivered a bad service bad we do not want it to leave a bad taste in the mouth.
pietdevs
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Mosselbay
Vehicle: Toyota Land Cruiser Troopy

Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:48 pm

Article from Leisure Wheels by Rick Last
Warranty? What Warranty?

Following a rather unsavoury experience with Toyota South Africa, I obtained a law professional’s interpretation of the legal implications of a Toyota vehicle’s warranty. Toyota owners will be astounded to discover how worthless their new vehicle “warranty” actually is. In fact, it provides one with no assured protection at all. If a vehicle’s engine fails, the owner of that vehicle has virtually no recourse.

How could this be? A couple of phrases in particular hand all the power over to Toyota South Africa.

“The obligation under the vehicle warranty is limited to an election by Toyota to repairing or replacing such parts which are in its opinion (NO ONE ELSE’S) defective,” reads the warranty. The lawyer I consulted interprets the sentence in the following way: Under this warranty Toyota alone will decide if a particular vehicle is defective and whether the company will deign to repair it. Should a Toyota owner encounter a defective component that the owner reasonably expected to be covered under the manufacturer warranty, they will find (as I did) that the input and opinions of any external technical experts recognized by the motor industry can, with impunity under the “warranty” contract, be entirely disregarded by Toyota. The “warranty” (read “indemnity”) would simply be unenforceable in a court of law in the face of Toyota’s unilateral discretion and consequent decision as to whether it will repair or replace any defective parts.

The “warranty “ also states that: “Consequential damage/cost arising from a component failure is not covered by the “warranty”.

This means that Toyota will repair or replace only parts that it deems to have been defective. It will not repair any damage that was caused by that defective part.

For example, should one’s engine have a defective head gasket that fails (as occurred in my case on a relatively new vehicle) there is a very high probability that the vehicle will suffer catastrophic engine overheating without any warning signs. My vehicle’s engine overheated, which cracked the engine block, warped the head and scoured the pistons. In short, my vehicle’s entire engine needed to be replaced. The Toyota warranty, however, did not cover the damage caused by the defective head gasket. Toyota was only required to replace/repair the head gasket, and then only if it deemed the gasket to actually be defective.

My vehicle has been subjected to multiple independent expert inspections with corroborating laboratory analyses performed by the SABS laboratory, and conclusive proof of a manufacturing defect was found.

In order to protect itself, Toyota has attempted to make me out to be a liar, without providing any supporting technical data or evidence of its own.
To add insult to the above, a critical component relating to the vehicle’s safety in an accident situation (a steering spindle that triggers the release of air bags) was removed from my vehicle by McCarthy Toyota Pietermaritzburg and inserted into an unsuspecting Toyota client’s vehicle as a warranty replacement. This was all done during the time that my vehicle was in Toyota’s care whilst under investigation for the engine failure. It was done entirely without my knowledge or consent, my vehicle then being returned to me (months later) with a refusal to repair it and no mention made of my family’s compromised safety.

I leave it for the reader to draw his or her own conclusions about Toyota and whether it is safe to do business with them in the context of “warranty” claims, and, in leaving one’s vehicle in their care.
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: Prado 90 VX 3.4 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:56 pm

It makes my blood boil reading this kind of thing. :punch: I wonder what will there side of the story be.
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
pietpetoors
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:18 pm

Definitely worrying.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC. Rear diff-lock, Red Peppor Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Kirisun radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Rear Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front, 25watt LED Spots
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:36 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock:
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
FJCruiser-ZN
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Durban
Vehicle: FJ Cruiser 4.0 V6 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X224

Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:04 pm

I'm not too sure if Toyota's stance on their warranties wording will stand in a court of law.
There are documented cases where common law has prevailed over contract law especially where risk is unfairly proportioned. Notwithstanding there is the Consumer Protection Act and the National Credit Act that offers the consumer added protection.against unreasonable terms. The Consumer Protection Act requires policy wording to be in plain English and furthermore the terms need to be explained to the consumer so it can be properly understood. I wonder how many Toyota's Toyota would sell if they told the consumer their warranty isn't worth anything. If I had catastrophic failure on a vehicle that's still under manufactures warranty and they reneged, I'd seek legal recourse.
I'd park the vehicle in front of their showroom with all the failed parts in full display with a big sign saying buy a Toyota and walk home.
T
If you don't own an FJ Cruiser you probably won't understand...
Until we meet on a dusty road someday, somewhere, keep on Cruisering....
2013 FJ Cruiser 4.0 V6 4x4 AT
2012 Jurgen's Xcape
Kykdaar
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux V6

Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:39 pm

When i bought my bakke second hand recently i was offered an extended warrent by the Toyota dealer.

Asked for the policy doc and read it at home.

My view - not worth the paper it is written on.

Knowing you have no warranty is better than believing you have one when, in fact, you dont.
Hilux V6 - the logical choice @ R13/lt
pietpetoors
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:13 pm

Agree with Andre on those extended guarantees. I had that on one vehicle and nether again. (this was a non-toy third party cover)
There is always some excuse why they do not cover what went wrong. On the vehicle I had it the rear crank seal leaked which caused the clutch to slip and the clutch and pressure plate had to be replaced. Long story short, extended warranty does not cover any leakages..... and related damage. The problem was not that the clutch packed up, the seal leaked first, then the clutch slipped which was the related damage.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC. Rear diff-lock, Red Peppor Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Kirisun radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Rear Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front, 25watt LED Spots

Return to “Bad Service”