Bundubasher

Tell us a bit more about your Hilux (or other 4x4) and show off with some pictures.
bundubasher
Town: Brighton + Bulawayo
Vehicle: Africa: Hilux Surf: 3.0 TD 1KZ-T, 750/16 Firestone MTs on steel splits, enlarged radiator, hardwired fan, OME HD suspension, ARB bullbar, SAFARI snorkel. IPF spots on the roof, IPF fogs on the bullbar, custom hilift jacking points. UK: 4L Jeep Cherokee

Bundubasher

Post by bundubasher »

Hi - I'm based in Zim and am looking for a reliable source of Hilux spares as I need an engine rebuild to get my truck back on the road.

We've done alot of travelling as we also spent 3 years living and travelling in East Africa.

Anyway, look forward to getting to know you guys.

enzo
Attachments
image008.jpg
bb_nairobi_600.jpg
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Bundubasher

Post by Mud Dog »

Hi Enzo, and welcome to this forum! :thumbup:

That 'Bundubasher' of yours is seriously kitted out to say the least .... the only thing I don't see is the kitchen sink, but I'm sure it's packed in there somewhere. :D: The guys closer up your way would be able to give you better advice on where to source spares. What motor is in there, the V6? 3lit or 3.4lit?
All the best of good fortune in your travels. :wink:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
bundubasher
Vehicle: Africa: Hilux Surf: 3.0 TD 1KZ-T, 750/16 Firestone MTs on steel splits, enlarged radiator, hardwired fan, OME HD suspension, ARB bullbar, SAFARI snorkel. IPF spots on the roof, IPF fogs on the bullbar, custom hilift jacking points. UK: 4L Jeep Cherokee

Post by bundubasher »

Thanks for the welcome.

Parts are very expensive in Zim and there are alot of dodgy characters around. My vehicle was imported from the UK and has the 3.0L 1KZ-T engine. On a night run up to the Falls, I put a bolt through the engine - dumped all the coolant and subsequently cracked the head. Since then the vehicle has been parked up in Bulawayo whilst I do some teacher training in the UK and so I feel I may actually now need either a second hand, or reconditioned, complete engine (inc fuel/water pumps etc).

My idea would be to get the vehicle fixed in situ or even towed down south as there must be some decent guys south of Beitbridge. Any ideas?
Last edited by bundubasher on Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Bennie / Mark, any ideas? ... :think:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

I agree don't try to source parts or a motor in ZIM rather get a motor at one of the South African based Jap Engine importers like Boston Jap Tech and ship it to ZIM or get your van transported down here to Gauteng where you will find many competent people to do the swap for you.

Not sure what the regulations wrt getting the engine over the border are
bundubasher

Post by bundubasher »

Thanks Bennie - any recomendations so that I can start shopping around?
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Enzo, I have sent you a "PM".

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

[quote+"Me"]What motor is in there, the V6? 3lit or 3.4lit?[/quote]

Ok .... I see in your updated profile it's a 3lit KZ turbo. :wink:

Turbo
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Brackenfell Cape Off-road Country
Vehicle: Range Rover Classic 3.5 V8

Post by Turbo »

Welcome Enzo, :wave:

I love your rig.Very well kitted. :clap:
I'm sure you will get sorted very soon with good advice and service.

Good Luck with the repair. :thumbup: It is not nice when a good looking truck like that is not running. :(
.Only when we are no longer afraid,do we begin to live
www.capeoffroad.co.za
bundubasher

Post by bundubasher »

Thanks for the great welcome and all the good advice. My problem is that I'm presently in the UK whilst my vehicle is rotting at home in Zim. Like everyone, I don't have loads of cash to throw at the problem and so have to tread carefully. I'll contact the people suggested and try to get something worked out. Luckily/unluckily, I won't be going home till June/July so I've got a bit of time to try and sort it.

For anyone interested, there are trip reports (by year) and loads of pics etc on my website - anyroad keep the suggestions coming! Thanks!
Attachments
bundu_2007.jpg
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Bump (on behalf of Enzo) .... any more suggestions? :think:

Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Nice rig, best of luck Enzo ;-)
bundubasher

Post by bundubasher »

Hi Guys - sorry been busy - will chase up all advice asap! Thanks!
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Welcome Enzo :thumbup: Sorry unable to assist you here as I do not know any one that can help you near Beitbridge :thumbdown: Perhaps someone in the Louis Trichardt / Pietersburg area?

I will pm you a number. He is up somewhere in Limpopo. Happened to speak to him last week. Perhaps he can help you. :thumbup:

Best of luck, let us know of your progress :thumbup:
2.8 d/cab SFA
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: Yamaha R1

Post by 2.8 d/cab SFA »

any hassels with those 16 tyres, touching ?
John
Real Trucks Don't Have Sparkplugs!
ImageImage
bundubasher

Post by bundubasher »

The tyres I am currently running are 750/16 Firestone MTs (before I had Michelin XZLs) on LC steel split rims. I have never really noticed any problems - definately no rubbing, no problem with offset or braking but maybe full lock is slightly compromised but it has never really made any difference. I took the wheel arch flares off to narrow the vehicle as they looked silly with these Marie Biscuits!

I hope the extra inch (1/2 inch?) of clearance has been usefull but I definately like the leaner look.
Attachments
Stallion.jpg
Stallion.jpg (25.39 KiB) Viewed 3026 times
Hiluxonian
Town: Devon
Vehicle: Hilux & Landcruiser

Post by Hiluxonian »

Plenty of 3 litre surfs in the UK all going cheap I break 79-97 SFA hilux pick ups so can only help with 2.4 na engines though.
2.8 d/cab SFA
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: Yamaha R1

Post by 2.8 d/cab SFA »

ok txs
John
Real Trucks Don't Have Sparkplugs!
ImageImage
gompie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: louis trichardt
Vehicle: sfa hilux s/c, Fortuner d4d 4x4(ma sin)

Post by gompie »

hi enzo

will pm you a guys number here in louis trichardt,he knows a hilux back to front left to right etc.
good luck and welcome
bundubasher

Post by bundubasher »

Thanks! However I've been thinking about it but I have run out of options. We'll be back in Bullies in July and will need a vehicle as we want to go up to Kariba and the Falls - since I'm out of the country and I cannot get the vehicle down to BB or LT, so am looking to get a Jap import engine fitted in Zim.

Return to “Members' Vehicles”