1981 Toyota Trekker

Tell us a bit more about your Hilux (or other 4x4) and show off with some pictures.
b4runner
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: oregon US
Vehicle: 1981 Toyota Trekker

Re: 1981 Toyota Trekker

Post by b4runner »

added a set of MRAP retractable shoulder harnesses. Should make the trail a little safer and more comfortable than the normal 4 point harnesses.
The anti sub belt will be removed
need to paint the harness bar but the worst of the work is done
1981 Toyota Trekker. Full internal Roll Cage, Dual Transfer Cases (2.28x4.7) 5.29 gears = 220:1
35" Goodyear Kevlar MTR's
b4runner
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by b4runner »

After paying $42 to refill my CO2 tank I started looking for alternative fast air sources.I thought about a Viair system but didn't think $400 was worth it.
Decided to give ebay a shot with a seller I have had good luck with in the past, picked up one of these, only bidder at $99
Heavy Duty 150PSI Portable Air Compressor 12V High Volume Extreme 35" Tires | eBay

It basically looks like a generic Super Flow MV-90
it sucks a ton of juice but is fast
Filled the empty 35x12.50 from 0 to 30 psi in a little over 2 minutes
1981 Toyota Trekker. Full internal Roll Cage, Dual Transfer Cases (2.28x4.7) 5.29 gears = 220:1
b4runner
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by b4runner »

I was recently scored a set of Trail-Gear trunnion bearing eliminators from a local guy hard on his luck.
$150, couldn't pass it up:
Over the weekend I replaced my 4 tie rod ends, test drive showed everything was good to go.
I headed out monday morning to head out to the forest to run some trails with some friends over the Memorial Day holiday.
about 2 miles from the meet up location i had a really bad shimmy. Pulled over and checked things out, everything looked fine, tightened the lug nuts, no issue there. Tried again, at 35 it was bad so headed the 40 miles home never being able to get above 30 mph
So I got to thinking i could have blown a trunnion bearing on my last run and might as well start the replacement process.
I did find some play in the bearings, but nothing that would account for the sudden onset of death wobble.
I had the front end rebuilt 6 years ago by a friend who needed some cash, he didn't mention that the driver side knuckle ball looked like birfield had exploded.
Passenger side looked pretty good
inner axle seals were is relatively good shape

it was also good to see that the Trail-gear Dirty 30 axles were still looking good after 6 years and several thousand miles.

so no smoking gun but I am going to replace the wheel bearings too, swap out the steering shaft and button it up hopefully over the weekend.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Cool! Let us know how it goes and if the wobble is gone afterwards. :thumbup:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Raino001
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: "D-Rod -- Thomb Raider" Hilux Raider D4D 4X4, 33" Muds, Body lift , 76 Free flow

Post by Raino001 »

Nice Truck ,

Even Better Job done

:thumbup:
b4runner
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by b4runner »

Mud Dog wrote:Cool! Let us know how it goes and if the wobble is gone afterwards. :thumbup:
Will do.
Raino001 wrote:Nice Truck ,

Even Better Job done

:thumbup:
Thank you sir.

I haven't a lot of time to get the front end back together but got a little bit closer.
Part of the trunnion bearing eliminate is to get rid of the 'stock' steering pivots.
i probably could have used a vice to drive the pins out but opted to pick up a 12 ton press.
It made short work of the pins
Plan is to clean up the axle housing and repaint the steering arms and knuckles.
I may also drill the stock spring mount and move the axle forward an inch or so. I am pretty sure i could as far forward as 2" with out binding my steering linkage.

Return to “Members' Vehicles”