Sad news, and new toy:)

Tell us a bit more about your Hilux (or other 4x4) and show off with some pictures.
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Re: Sad news, and new toy:)

Post by Family_Dog »

If that is the same colour as Bulldog, then the paint code is 4E9. Best colour ever for a bakkie, veral if it drives on gravel roads most of the time!

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Boltz
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: '94 Hilux D/C

Post by Boltz »

Have a quick question and seeing as some of you guys have done these conversions. Back in the beginning of this entire process I bought all the suspension goodies shocks etc, (but my planning was a bit poefies). I lifted the car and after all the changes in height and movement of certain suspension mounting point the shocks are way too short (about 20cm each) so I have a brand new set of Gabriel Kubu's that have never been fitted and will not work for my car now matter how good my imagination is :)

Which shocks will fit? do I have to look at OME or ironman, or do I need to go exotic on this one (Fox, Bilstein etc - ie adjustable external resevoir shocks.)

Any advice is greatly appreciated :)
Hi-Hilux
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Tsumeb
Vehicle: 1991 Hilux2.2 ---1987 Hilux D/C Hella 1000, Rancho RS9000XL shocks, Good Year M/TR, Warn Winch, STK bullbar, Extended shacles, Kenwood VHF-SOLD

Post by Hi-Hilux »

Thanks for the code uncle Eric.

I fitted Rancho RS9000xl shocks and im so happy with them!
Is gebed jou spaarwiel of jou stuurwiel?
'Life is a coin. You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it ONCE'
Boltz
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Boltz »

Have read here and there about the Rancho shocks, and general opinion about them is pretty good.....how do they compare to the bilstein 5100 series? anyone know :wth: if you don't mind what's the ballpark figure on the shocks?

Ok so next on the hitlist as stated before is the brakes and the wiring, brakes will be done from scratch, will keep the drum setup for now and change the front disks for Power brake discs, with the upgraded pads. Going to replace all hoses with new longer stainless braided hoses, and replace the master cylinder and all other brake components. Then the wiring wil happen next week (for the next 2 weeks) everything is being done from scratch.....front to back, top to bottom.

Then the new interior, glass, rubbers and then last but not least connect engine management and fire the puppy up :) The exhaust will be done by Van Der Linde in JHB, Stainless branches, and stainless 3 inch pipe front to back, single :) so that is the next month in my cars life, hopefully everything goes according to plan and I will keep you guys informed.
SACruiser79
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Harrismith
Vehicle: Land Cruiser 79 4.2D Pick-Up

Post by SACruiser79 »

Jeez this is killing me!!!

This is the best restoration thread for a while now, and I have been checking it everyday for progress, but still nothing. Please post and update if anything more has been done, this is of great interest to me, as it is what I would like to do for my next project.

Goodluck
Boltz
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Boltz »

Sorry guys for not updating in a while :oops:

Been Crazy busy at work and have not been able to get online for a while. I am getting a photo update of the vehicle this weekend and will post the pics as soon as I have them....but I will let you know what has happened in the meantime.

Got all my interior plastics back from the plastic repair shop......they refurbished everything for me....and all the plastics are now...pitch black....to match the new leather dash (pics will be posted this wknd) and full black interior....incuding leather seats seen earlier. My new cluster has been ordered from Toyota and that should be at home on monday..... (original one did not have rev counter) so now the odometer will start at zero km's as it should, and everything will be new and shiny.....

The electrician will start work on monday as well, the guy (Dirk) comes to your house and rewires it right there.....awesome :) he says it will take 6 or 7 days and i will give him 10 so lets see how it goes......all wires are going to be foam wrapped and neatly stashed away....no rattles...and my dash and speedo will be fitted. Interior will be installed last to hide all the wires etc, and i don't want it damaged at this point. Hopefully together with the car being wired the engine guys will come and finalise the connection and test running of the motor...... everything included in origional purchase price of the motor....I like it :)

one word of advice for anybody doing this.....take your original cost estimate and timeline and multiply by 3 :) but in the end it will be worth it...

Update pictures on the weekend :)
Maddoglips
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: P.E.
Vehicle: Raider 2.2 4x4; Mikem 50mm raised suspension, long range tank, Monroe gasses all round.

Post by Maddoglips »

Brilliant work going on there.

Glad to hear things are taking shape, looking forward to the pics.

Keep it Alive I say :lol:
It's better to Burn Out then Fade Away.
Boltz
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Boltz »

Some of the new goodies, and some better pics of the seats....will post more pics of the car tomorrow. The tank on the left is an extra 60lts, i'm thinking of running the exhaust between the two tanks, only place it's really going to fit. The wiring starts tomorrow, ordered my new lights and odometer from toyota, so holding thumbs that the monster starts coming together.
Attachments
08052010034.jpg
08052010033.jpg
08052010032.jpg
08052010024.jpg
08052010020.jpg
08052010018.jpg
SACruiser79
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by SACruiser79 »

Man oh man, this is going to be one of the bst looking SFA luxes in SA. I really like the 318 seats, I am looking to get some for my LC79 as well, where did you get yours, and what did they cost you?
2.8 d/cab SFA
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: Yamaha R1

Post by 2.8 d/cab SFA »

nice seats
John
Real Trucks Don't Have Sparkplugs!
ImageImage
Boltz
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Boltz »

Got the seats for free, a friend owed me a favour so lucky me :) had to recover them and tha cost me about R2800 bit pricey but I like the end result! Car went in to the brakes and the rest of the goodies sorted so it will be about a week before I have any more pics to show you guys......it's really time for this project to get finished now......damn.......he heh e
Derrick
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: Hilux 2007 4.0V6 DC 4X4

Post by Derrick »

That Hilux looks so good well done cant wait for the action pictures! I dont think I will take it outside will park it my lounge and look at it all day!
HILUX RAIDER 4.0V6 4X4 DC 2007. One day it will be my bundu basher with my boys!
Maniac
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: 1993 Hilux SFADC
Club VHF Licence: X25

Post by Maniac »

Really ambitious build. Looking great. Would like some feedback on the engine and performance of it with the original loom and ecu, with all the "tuners" screaming that it is not the best idea.

Voorspoed!
93 D/C Hilux Not 4Y, 33" Bighorns, 29 MHz, OME 3" Lift
No Ditch Too Deep, No Hill Too High!!!
SACruiser79
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by SACruiser79 »

Hey Boltz!!!

I have been checking back at this thread almost everyday for the last two months since the last post. What is going on, is this build still on, please post some updates and pics.
Boltz
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Boltz »

Been out of SA for 7 months so things kinda went a bit slow, but the project is still on....some minor updates to follow....car is currently in for brakes :)
Attachments
15072010063.jpg
15072010064.jpg
15072010065.jpg
Al hoe meer kar!.jpg
Boltz
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Boltz »

Some more pics
Attachments
15072010059.jpg
15072010062.jpg
kfxnando
Town: Germiston
Vehicle: Ford V6 3.4 Courrier soon to be powered by Yamaha!! Jeep GC 4.7 V8, Aygo broken traded for a Kia Picanto.2ex, 2012 Jeep GC 5.7 V8 Ovrrland

Post by kfxnando »

WOW!!!! :yahoo: :yahoo:

that is the way to do it!!

1st time that I have seen this thread, will be following it!!

:goodjob: :goodjob:
http://www.youtube.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://community.webshots.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/kfxnando/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Boltz
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Boltz »

In short......NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER take your vehicle to BIG BOSS AUTO, my car has been there for almost 2 months to get the brakes done, and low and behold they have done nothing.....blaming it on all kinds of retarded stuff......and now I have to get a court order to get my car away from them.........how in the hell are companies like this still in business......I have spent over R100 000 so far on this car and now some retarded inbred twat does not want to give back my car or do the work.......and the cherry on top, they subcontract the work out.....and when I spoke to those guys they only got called 2 weeks ago to work on the car....so for at least a month my vehicle just stood there.......
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Cornelius... lay a charge of theft at the police... they have no right what-so-ever to withhold your vehicle, especially if the agreed work has not commenced...

Disgusting... sadly this is not the first time I've heard this type of story!
cyborg
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Richards Bay
Vehicle: 1984 Toyota 4Runner 4x4 SFA ; 2011 Fortuner 4x4 ; BMW 650 GS

Post by cyborg »

Boltz wrote:In short......NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER take your vehicle to BIG BOSS AUTO, my car has been there for almost 2 months to get the brakes done, and low and behold they have done nothing.....blaming it on all kinds of retarded stuff......and now I have to get a court order to get my car away from them.........how in the hell are companies like this still in business......I have spent over R100 000 so far on this car and now some retarded inbred twat does not want to give back my car or do the work.......and the cherry on top, they subcontract the work out.....and when I spoke to those guys they only got called 2 weeks ago to work on the car....so for at least a month my vehicle just stood there.......

That's just not right hey... :o:
I say we organise linchen' party and go TAKE your van out there! :blackeye:
Besides, check out the sweet brakes F_D has sourced... (Not sure what you're getting put in, (or should I say not getting put in...) not funny)
viewtopic.php?f=92&t=12311&p=157921#p157921" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's looking flippen AWESOME so far!
Hilux 4x4. . . . :thumbup:
Boltz
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Boltz »

It just saddens me that's all, i'll get it all sorted and I just have to stay focused on getting the Beast completed, it has been a mission that i will seriously have to rethink beforeI do it again.

So further details on the Brakes, replacing all the lines with stainless lines, and all the hoses are being done in stainless braided hoses, the rear drum brakes will remain (Not planning to carry any load on the bakes or drive like a monkey, so I don't see the need for the additional braking force provided by disks) up front, I spoke to Power Brake and they said that they could not help me, as their package won't fit behind my current rims which is understandable. So the solution was to have special disk manufactured (ventilated, slotted etc - std brakes are solid disks) I have also upgraded from the std Single pot callipers and going for Two pot calipers off the Land cruiser, not sure what model, but the adapter pates are being done. Also replacing all Boosters, and the Master and slave Cylinder with new Toyota parts.

This all will happen once I actually get the car back though......and just to reiterate how retarded these ppl are I have even paid them for the work they claimed they have done, just so that i would get the car back.
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Pathfinder 2.5 LE AT
Club VHF Licence: X81

Post by Traveler »

Cornelius, I hope you get it back from them soonest. Cannot wait to see how the process goes from here.

Know what you don't know.
cyborg
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by cyborg »

Why won't it fit? (The Power Brake that is?)
Is it the Rim size or the type of rim you have? I recall somewhere on their site that they were asked to make something to fit a 16" Wheel, do they not cater for 15"?
Boltz
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Boltz »

The rim size is the problem, I have a 15" rim and like you said the full kit only fits on the 16" and bigger, my Tires only fit 15" rims so I have to stay with that size. They also don't offer the normal disk upgrade for the SFA, so the way I am going is my only option. I should have some more pics of everything by the end of the week so finally I can share the progress properly :cool:
GeorgeJvR
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Louis Trichardt
Vehicle: 2008 Prado 4.0 V6, 1989 SFA S/C 2.2 1998 SFA LTD 22RE

Post by GeorgeJvR »

Cornelius just something i've heard of;
IFS Master and front calepers with the cruiser discks front(60 series i think)
Prado rear disc settup as on Eric's Pradog
To Buy and sell a vehicle is my hobby
Make a deal that no one else thought possible is my aim

Kom wat wil ek bly 'n Bul!
Boltz
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Boltz »

So I finally got my baby back a couple of days ago and the new guys working on it have already accomplished a fairly substantial amount of work.

The pics is of my baby when it got home and of the new front disks that have now been installed :) I am going to fit the Callipers from the Land Cruiser on it (needs some minor modification) also using the Cruiser Master Cylinder and Booster.

Stainless braided hoses have been purchased and will be installed this week . Will post more pics at the end of next week :)
Attachments
SDC13700.JPG
SDC13726.JPG
Gunta
Vehicle: 1996 80 series Land Cruiser VX 4500 EFI UK Import. Long range tank, Iron man suspension, ARB Bullbar, Front and rear diff locks, 33" BFG muds, Snorkel and attitude.

Post by Gunta »

Cornelius, what did the brake setup cost you. I am thinking of upgrading mine as well.
Worry about the things you can do something about, If you can't don't worry.
Live life to the fullest with no regrets.
Boltz
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Boltz »

Mark, Currently it is at about R9000 for everything I have purchased thus far (Front hub kits, disks, back brake kits, Braided hoses and front callipers) I still have to get the Mater cylinder, brake booster and get the front callipers machines so that they fit propoerly with the new disks. Once I have the entire system installed I will come up with and entire price list of everything that was done :)

I will also give a report on how everything works once I finally get to drive it, which is hopefully by the end of October :think:
Gunta
Vehicle: 1996 80 series Land Cruiser VX 4500 EFI UK Import. Long range tank, Iron man suspension, ARB Bullbar, Front and rear diff locks, 33" BFG muds, Snorkel and attitude.

Post by Gunta »

That would be great. I am sure you are itching to get in your truck, its been a long haul.
Boltz
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Boltz »

Some more pics for you guys because I know you love them :) :)

The grill is the std hilux grill I just removed the little fins inbetween and reprayed it satin black. Then i fitted the mesh behind to keep the big debris from hitting the radiator.
Attachments
Callipers.JPG
Grill.JPG
jontheron
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: jhb
Vehicle: 95 hilux

Post by jontheron »

gud to see im not the only mad person out there :yahoo: she is looking insane awsome job
Boltz
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Boltz »

An update for all the ppl :) been ages I know but we are almost there :)
Attachments
Full Front.JPG
Full.JPG
Side.JPG
Front.JPG
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Looking good! :thumbup: Don't slack off now at the end! ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2006 Hilux DC V6 Auto 4x4 Oldman Emu suspension

Post by Cookie Monster »

wow she is looking great I love the ARB bumper!
2006 Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V6 Old Man Emu suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank and a LA Sport Sump Guard, Natko railings with spade and high lift brackets, LA Sport high lift jack mounts, Powder coated Hilux Nudge Bar, Hella LED light bar, LED Work Light
2.8 d/cab SFA

Post by 2.8 d/cab SFA »

nice!
John
ImageImage
Boltz
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Boltz »

been quiet for a long time now.....3 yrs and a crap load of cash and the BEAST is done.....will post pics soon....final dyno and she is good to go :) :) :) :) :) :)
krazy_kameleon
Town: Fourways
Vehicle: 1993 Hilux D/C 4X4 2.4 22R (fuel injection in the pipeline)

Post by krazy_kameleon »

Boltz wrote:been quiet for a long time now.....3 yrs and a crap load of cash and the BEAST is done.....will post pics soon....final dyno and she is good to go :) :) :) :) :) :)
I know what you mean...

I am 1 and a half years now and still going...

I bet I can give you a good competition for the MOST expensive SFA in Africa :think:

Its really looking good so far, cant wait to see those finished pics :thumbup:
Gunta

Post by Gunta »

Looking good there, can't wait for the pics and dyno.
Boltz
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Boltz »

Picking her up this afternoon and will post pics then :-)
louis fourie
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2003 Hilux Raider Facelift D/C 3.0 KZTE
Club VHF Licence: X101

Post by louis fourie »

Why are we waiting???? :?: :?: for the pics :razz:
cyborg
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by cyborg »

louis fourie wrote:Why are we waiting???? :?: :?: for the pics :razz:
I agree. . . The suspense, AAHHH. . .

(well unless he can't get away or out of it, it's so awesome)
Boltz
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Boltz »

How do I post pics from an Android Tab? been struggling for 4 days now......gees
2.8 d/cab SFA

Post by 2.8 d/cab SFA »

yes show us the pics
John
ImageImage
SACruiser79
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by SACruiser79 »

Hi Boltz

Any new updates and pics??

Please could you tell me who did the body restoration for you and what it cost to get it fixed and resprayed?
ROOFER
Town: grassy park cape town
Vehicle: 99 s/c hilux 4x4 2.7i long range tank & dual battery; 2003 nissan x-TRAIL (4X4)

Post by ROOFER »

Great rebuild !!!!where is the evidence ,why are there no PIC'S?????????? :shock2: :shock2: :shock2: :taunt:
Boltz
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Boltz »

Sup guys, have no idea how to get pics posted from my android tablet so it might be a while tille there are pics but I will keep trying....promise....

Body restoration was done by a collection of people and to be honest it is best if you do it yourself...I have spent about 50K on the body....things add up damn fast...I replaced everysingle bit of trim with original Toyota bits so I went the pricey route....can get it done for about 20 but you have to check up on every step of the work.

so far total spend is over the 300K mark but it is my dream car so I dont really mind......I have realized I have to replace my seats for something with a lower profile....any ideas?
scout
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: White River
Vehicle: 91 Hilux dc -pro comp , arb bb , winch , 33'' muds

Post by scout »

any pic updates boltz?
I say money well spent
" Yes I know we are lost , but we are making good time "
Gunta

Post by Gunta »

Boltz wrote:
so far total spend is over the 300K mark but it is my dream car so I dont really mind......I have realized I have to replace my seats for something with a lower profile....any ideas?
Holy cr#p I spent about R180k on mine and I thought that was bad. You need a cake. No smiley cakes otherwise I would give you one. :mrgreen:
the BuTch3R
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: '89 Hilux SFA - SOLD; '95 Hilux - STOLEN; '67 Series 2A Land Rover; 3.5 V6 Pajero; 120 Prado VX 4.0

Post by the BuTch3R »

Hell's Bells...can somebody please help Cornelius with them Android pics :beg: :beg: :beg:
Boltz
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Boltz »

Started new topic with pics of the little truck :angel:

Return to “Members' Vehicles”