Piet Petoors(AKA die baas)' 1999 2700i Raider 4x4 Double Cab

Tell us a bit more about your Hilux (or other 4x4) and show off with some pictures.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Piet Petoors(AKA die baas)' 1999 2700i Raider 4x4 Double Cab

Post by pietpetoors »

Eventually after looking for a bargain for three weeks I found this one. She only had one owner, an old guy who went hunting very often.
I bought her in Jo'Burg and stopped at Rivonia Tyres to fit 31" Copper ST before I traveled down to Langebaan. Fuel consumption varies between 7.5 and 8 km/l. It came standard with a rear diff-lock.

Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
SYRON CONVERSIONS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

All you got to do now is change the registration number, this vehicle looks in a very excellent condition, I saw that you are looking for a snorkel, there are a few places that sell them, rather buy one new, when fitting the snorkel, make sure that all joints are sealed using sikaflex, this is a type of sealant that we use on the pantec trailers, it comes in black and white, the sealant must be used on the outside of the joint.

Carry a spare air filter in the vehicle as well, because if the air filter gets wet due to water entering the snorkel, maybe from rain or when you are driving through pools of water and it gets splashed up, it will make the air filter element wet.

A tyre plug repair kit is also a must, sometimes if you are quick enough you can plug a hole and then still carry on driving without having to inflate the tyre more.

Look after this vehicle and it will look after you.

Well Done :D
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
pietpetoors

Hilux

Post by pietpetoors »

Thanks Simon. In Langebaan one can only take a vehicle for roadworthy on a Tuesday, so I will sort out the number plate this week.

I already had first hand experience of the advantage of the tyre repair kit when we got a flat in Namibia earlier this year. It is much quicker to repair the wheel on the vehicle than to change tyres. So I will definitely not go anywhere without my tyre repair kit.

As I mentioned, the vehicle belonged to a hunter. This weekend I checked the diff and gearbox oils and noticed that there are no scratches or dents on the covers and beams underneath the transfer case and petrol tank. You can see the chassis has been sand blasted. So he did travel a lot of gravel road and he drove in the veld, but he surely did not do the type of off-road work we do. So I am very happy with the vehicle.
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
ratel's raider
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 1995 Toyota hilux SFA, 2007 2x4 hilux 3l d4d

Post by ratel's raider »

Hell your bakkie looks brand spanking new. What a buy. Welcome to the hilux clan, and thanks for the forum good to see that my hilux fanaticism is shared by others
Natural stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time
pietpetoors

Hilux

Post by pietpetoors »

a Good buy indeed. It do have 335,000Km on the clock and have a couple of bush scratches which gives it houding, but I got it for only R78,000.
It even has the right sticker on it:
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Hey Piet,

That is one awesome-looking vehicle! Congratulations on your new baby, I hope it gives you lots of good joy & happiness! :D

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Piet

So you've got your Larney 4x4 now. When are you buying your PlayToy aka SFA Hilux :twisted: :twisted: :wink:

I have the Pajero as my Larney 4x4 and is looking at a cheap run-around for the Missus (20-30K but it must be economical and reliable) so that I can have the Lux to myself exclusively as my PlayToy. Upto now the Lux was her daily runner because I traded her Golf in on it a couple a years ago so that I could buy the Lux without having to finance it.
pietpetoors

Hilux

Post by pietpetoors »

Thanx Bennie, I think it will be some time before I buy a play toy. I do not know if I will buy a SFA for a Toy. I think more in the line of something with a short wheelbase. Perhaps a shortened SFA Hilux suspension with a TAZZ or SWB Hilux bakkie on top. Or perhaps one of them very OLD SWB Cruisers, I think its a 40.
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Re: Hilux

Post by BenHur »

pietpetoors wrote:Thanx Bennie, I think it will be some time before I buy a play toy. I do not know if I will buy a SFA for a Toy. I think more in the line of something with a short wheelbase. Perhaps a shortened SFA Hilux suspension with a TAZZ or SWB Hilux bakkie on top. Or perhaps one of them very OLD SWB Cruisers, I think its a 40.
Mmm this is not acceptable, the owner of this website not having at least one SFA Hilux is a dirty rotten shame :twisted: :twisted:

The rest of you guys better back me here, we better twist Piet's arm around two or three times until he change his mind :wink: :wink: :wink:
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Piet,

I bought my 2.7 new, and used to use it fairly regularly. Then I got the Baby, and the 2.7 was used less. Now having got the SFA, I realise what real style and true fun is, and the 2.7 lies parked in my garage, suffering from withdrawal symptoms. It sulked so much that the battery went completely flat, in spite of having a CTEK charger on it, grrrr. I have since replaced the CTEK charger (just yesterday) so at least she should start when I try her again.

The old SFA is such a capable vehicle and so willing to go anywhere, that one just does not want to stop driving it! Refer the sketches that Benny made in the IFS vs SFA thread and you will see why! :D :D

Better grab one while you still can, they are becoming scarce!

-F_D

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

pietpetoors

OK Ok

Post by pietpetoors »

Ok you convinced me. My next one will be a SFA.

A friend of mine has a 1998 Ltd 2.4 with 33" tyres, body lift and dual lockers. The first one you see on the image at the top and the one which got airborne on he main page. We do go play regularly and I really like the SFA. My idea originally was to buy a SFA for around R70k but then I got the IFS for R78K and I could not say no.

BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

I hope your friend had a soft landing or some spare sideshafts :shock: :shock:
pietpetoors

Hilux

Post by pietpetoors »

They were two vehicles that went airborne, his Hilux and a Fortuner. The Fortuner was not that Fortunate, it actually bend the rear axle. It happened twice on the trip with the Hilux, we did a wheel alignment test afterwards and there is nothing wrong with the Hilux.
pietpetoors

Re: My 1999 2700i Raider 4x4 Double Cab

Post by pietpetoors »

OK Eric, here is the photo with the better number plate on:
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

pietpetoors wrote:OK Eric, here is the photo with the better number plate on:
:mrgreen: I see the number plates you use don't end in the province, I thought they all did?

I bet it sailed through the RWC with no problems. She certainly looks good!

Why do we always <?> refer to our babies as "She"?

-F_D

pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

I do not know why one calls a Hilux a "she" or "her". With vehicles like Isuzus and Landy I can understand, because they give their owners so much Sh@#%, that is why they call them "her" or "She"
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

That is another nice thing of the Cape. You can look at the number plate and see from which town the people come from. If you see CR, you know it is nice and friendly people from Langebaan.

Only the private plates ends with WP.
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

Hi Piet very nice and that for 337 000km will see her on the 4th.
spearo
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Struisbaai
Vehicle: 2.2 Hilux SFA 4x4
Club VHF Licence: spearo

Re: Piet Petoors(AKA die baas)' 1999 2700i Raider 4x4 Double

Post by spearo »

Beautiful vehicle, did the 2.7's ever come out with a SFA?
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

No, the guys ever put a solid diff in this model or they out a 2.7 engine in the old SFA models.
spearo
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Struisbaai
Vehicle: 2.2 Hilux SFA 4x4
Club VHF Licence: spearo

Post by spearo »

Baie dankie Pieter. Ek het so 'n bakkie gehad, en is nou weer op soek na een, hulle het maar net nie 'n gelyke nie. Sou jy 'n SFA insit, en indien, wie kan dit doen? Simon is 'n bietjie ver van ons af.
Gunta
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 1996 80 series Land Cruiser VX 4500 EFI UK Import. Long range tank, Iron man suspension, ARB Bullbar, Front and rear diff locks, 33" BFG muds, Snorkel and attitude.

Post by Gunta »

For a 99 model that lux sure looks good. I think you got a gem. :drinks: :drinks:
Worry about the things you can do something about, If you can't don't worry.
Live life to the fullest with no regrets.

Return to “Members' Vehicles”