Dadz Toy - 1988 SFA YN Hilux DC 4Y

Tell us a bit more about your Hilux (or other 4x4) and show off with some pictures.
Dadz Toy BFI

Dadz Toy - 1988 SFA YN Hilux DC 4Y

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

The Plate says it all! :lol:

I'll never sell (but they keep asking/begging)!!!!!

Still got the original 2.2 engine and planning to change, advice very welcome! :roll:

Rich
Attachments
Dadz Toy.jpg
Last edited by Dadz Toy BFI on Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Ottosdal
Vehicle: Rocky's

Re: Dadz Toy-WP - 1989 Hilux D-Cab (Raised and restored)

Post by ToyX4 »

Hi Richard

Welcometo the forum.

You'll get lots of advice here regarding engine modsand stuuf. Hve you read through some of the threads?

I can't give you advice, but my personal favourite is the Lexus V8. But the 7MGTE engine, out of the Supra I think, also looks very tempting.

I'm sure you'll enjoy this forum!
ImageImage
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Thanks for the Welcome Riaan

Read the threads and still undecided!!

Hoping to get a reply from someone who's "been there, got the t-shirt"!

Thanks again for the welcome!!

Cheers!

Rich
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2006 Hilux DC V6 Auto 4x4 Oldman Emu suspension

Post by Cookie Monster »

Hi Rich

Welcome I am sure you will find lots of information here chat to Bennie(Benhur) and Ewald(7MGTE) they are the experts when in comes to the 7MGE motor mod which was found localy in the 3L Cressida and the same motor with a turbo was fitted to the Supra. As far as V8`s go the guys to talk to are Zantus and hilexo8. :mrgreen:

CM
2006 Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V6 Old Man Emu suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank and a LA Sport Sump Guard, Natko railings with spade and high lift brackets, LA Sport high lift jack mounts, Powder coated Hilux Nudge Bar, Hella LED light bar, LED Work Light
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Hi welcome here.

It depends on what you are after. If you are looking for a newer technology engine with great reliability and has enough bucks to spare then you can look at a 3RZ motor like in the 2.7i Hiluxes. These are good motors but expensive to buy. (over R30k just for the motor was the last I saw)

If you really want horses then the Lexus engines is the way to go. But with the Lexus engines you need to do a complete change of engine and transmission as the stock Hilux gearbox / transfer case /diffs are not designed for so much power or else you need to drive it very carfully.

The 7M range will work well as just a engine swap all you need to do is get a Cressida bell housing and flywheel. The 7MGE and 7MGTE engines that you source from the Engine importers are all coming from Supra's with flexplates from auto gearboxes. The imported 7MGE from the Supra only differs from the Cressida's throttle body and alternator as far as I can see. The Supra engine also (due to this difference) produce about 5kw more IIRC.

The 7MGTE is also a beast but it depends on your application. If you want to play off-road then Turbos arent always the best idea.

Both the 7M engines has only one weel point and that is the Head Gaskets. So it is advisable to replace the gasket and torgue the head to about 20% more then the Toy spec. Other than that is is a solid motor with lots of potential for performance enhancement if you require.

The 7MGE will go for around R 5k, the 7MGTE for around R10K and the Lexus with autobox for the about the same. With all these engines you will need a engine management system that you can buy for R 2K - R 5K. Also a larger radiator. At this stage it seems the BMW 740i one is the most popular one to use.
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

The 7M engine sounds right for my application.

My key requirement being a tad more power and better fuel efficiency.

If I can acheive that around R10K (self-fit) I'd be more than happy.

Thanks for the awesome advice!!!!

Rich
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Even if you do it yourself you need to budget more than R 10K.

In my case We bought the engine, Mr Turbo Management system (not recommended, rather go Dicktator) Cressida Bell Housing, Cressida Flywheel + skim, new clutch kit, New larger Radiator (BMW 740i recommended) Electric Fan, Cressida Aircon Pump (I gave my old one in and got a reconditioned one) High pressure fuel pump and some sundries. IIRC it amounted to about R15K but I am not 100% sure anymore and I can find my invoice as I had mine done at a workshop. I was still involved regularly but had a "pro" do the "dirty" work

Another guy I know also paid R 16K for his.
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Yeah, 16K is Ok, got a quote to have it done at a workshop: R28,5K is a bit steep!

Thanks Man

Rich
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Do you have decent engine importer in CTN where you can source a motor. If you are lucky you can get a motor with a flywheel already (but they are usually a couple of bucks more). Definitely rather go for an original 3.0 Cressida bell housing instead of these after market moulded ones as it seems that they are not always 100% true. This friend that I talked about earlier did his conversion the same time as another guy he know. Both used the moulded ones and both could not get the clutch shudder resolved until they replaced it with original Cressida ones.

Let us know when you start as we can offer some advice, and you can learn from our mistakes and do it better first time. :wink:

Return to “Members' Vehicles”