new trokkie

Tell us a bit more about your Hilux (or other 4x4) and show off with some pictures.
jsrossouw
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: 2.7i Hilux

new trokkie

Post by jsrossouw »

Took ownership of my bakkie on friday. Took it up the swartberg pass on saturday. Awsome owning a bakkie like this. The previous owner took it to sac for the cam and chip and freeflow so it has lots of grunt. Getting about 8 km/l. Got a dual battery system, 120L long range tank. 2 12V sockets infront and a light in the canopy. Thinking of getting 31" but the current tyres have so much tread left, dont think its worth buying 6 new tyres. The spotlights dont work, he says that they are supposed to work with the brights. Prolly just a fuse or something, dunno. Will post more pics later.
26062009104.jpg
5100dfi_20.jpeg
Piesang
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Grabouw
Vehicle: '99 Hilux SRX d/c 4x4

Re: new trokkie

Post by Piesang »

Hi Stephan en welkom by ons.

Ek moet sê alhoewel die Toyota uitstaan is dit meer die Chevy langs hom wat my oog gevang het. Skies ander Toyota manne, maar wil jy nie 'n beter foto van die chevy ook plaas nie?

"Onderwerp julle dan aan God; weerstaan die duiwel, en hy sal van julle wegvlug." Jak 4:7
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Hi Stephan, welcome! ... A really nice bakkie you got there, looks well looked after. The spots not working is possibly the result of a poor connection or the relay is faulty, the latter being the most likely, but are quite inexpensive to replace. :thumbup:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Ja Stephan, plaas 'n mooi prenkie van die Luv ook... Min dat mens nog mooies van hulle sien.. Ek het 'n pel gehad wat 'n 350 Chevy V8 in so 'n Chev Luv ungebou het... Sy agter tyres het so 300km op 'n slag gehou :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
wacky
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 1996 dc raider 2,4

Post by wacky »

nice ride stephen always loved that shape.now let's see some offroad pictures :thumbup:
jsrossouw
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by jsrossouw »

Hey dankie ouens. Die Luv is my pa sin, sal soek virre foto of twee. Daai ding is 'n stuk yster. Hy was baie netjies voor my pa-hulle hom geroll het op die hou-hoek pass (weetie of dit reg gespell is nie). Hulle het hom nou gerestoreer tot waar hy nou is maar hy is nog nie 100% nie.

Dankie vir die info oor die spots, ek sal maar rond krap, my kennis van mechanics is maar bad maar ek laaik om rond te krap. Miskien moet ek 'n boek of iets kry? Is daar so boek, "Hilux mechanics for dummies"? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jong ja, oor die offroad pics. Ek moes gister gaan hout koop en opad soontoe sien ek so lekker sand heuwel en ek dog wag laat ek gou kyk maar toe chicken ek uit. Nog nooit self gaan 4x4ing nie so ek was bietjie bang ek roff my nuwe bakkie op. Toe ry ek maar straight deur al die sirkels opad huistoe om ontslae te raak van die jik. 8 ) 8 )
wacky
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Vehicle: 1996 dc raider 2,4

Post by wacky »

As die 4x4 gogga byt ,dan los hy nie weer nie.Doen jouself n guns en bel vir He & She driving school. hulle bied 4x4 kurse aan en jy kry n sertifikaart.daar is ook ander skole/acedemies :clap:
jsrossouw
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by jsrossouw »

Sorry, dis al wat ek nou kon vind. Die geel skaaptralies is nou swart, lol.
diéTROUE 058.jpg
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Nice one Stephan, congrats on your new baby :clap: :clap:

Don't you wanna come and show her off at the Two Oceans Trail on Saturday :?: :wink:
jsrossouw
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by jsrossouw »

Would have loved to but I am going to Agulas for the weekend, maybe play around on dunes, apparently really good training grounds.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Nice bakkie Stephen
The spot light problem will most probably be a fuse. Since they were probably installed afterwards I guess the fuse can be any place. When I got mine it had the same problem and it was the fuse.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2006 Hilux DC V6 Auto 4x4 Oldman Emu suspension

Post by Cookie Monster »

Hay Stephen

Great looking van I am sure you going to enjoy her :!: :mrgreen:
2006 Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V6 Old Man Emu suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank and a LA Sport Sump Guard, Natko railings with spade and high lift brackets, LA Sport high lift jack mounts, Powder coated Hilux Nudge Bar, Hella LED light bar, LED Work Light
jsrossouw
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by jsrossouw »

Thanks for all the nice replies. Had a look in the fuse box by the engine and took out every fuse and inspected it and put it back. All were fine. I saw about 4 relays but I dunno if I can just pull those out and see if they are fine. Should I also look in the fuse box in the dash? Other thing, I read in the manual that I should operate the bakkie in 4x4 for at least 16km a month. Does that mean full 4x4 with hubs and rear diff locked or just in H4? Thanks for the infoz guys.
MORNE
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: Isuzu E/cab 3.0 D-tec

Post by MORNE »

Ek het jou gister gesien ry in Plein str ,jy kan nie die bakkie mis met daai blou ligte nie.Ek bly ook in Durbanville en het dieselfde bakkie as jy,so maak n draai dan sort ons gou die spots uit.Ek kan vir jou verdere advies gee oor voertuig.PM my.
Big D
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: SFA Hilux 2.2 BFi

Post by Big D »

Baie Baie Mooi. :)
'94 lux, 3rz, Dual Tcases, 4.7, Lifted, Locked, 33"
ImageImage

"My worse fear is when i DIE, my wife will sell my car for what I told her I spent on it..."
Having a 12 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet; You're going to surprise a bunch of people, but in the end you're still gay.
2.8 d/cab SFA
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: Yamaha R1

Post by 2.8 d/cab SFA »

:thumbup: nice, welcome, my old isuzu spots worked with the lights on, put on bright and then spots on
John
Real Trucks Don't Have Sparkplugs!
ImageImage
jsrossouw
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by jsrossouw »

Hi Guys,
05072009139.jpg
My first offroad pics ever. Went to Agulhas this weekend and my dad showed me some stuff. Jinne offroading is fun.

Had an interesting situation this weekend. I went to the shop to buy electricity and I locked the bakkie. I forgot the card in the bakkie so I had to go back to go get it and then the remote did not want to unlock the bakkie at all. I pressed that button a million times, nothing. I saw the light was a bit dim. Went into the shop to get a screwdriver to open the remote to see what battery it takes to buy a new one. Some random guy came and gave me a small screwdriver and just my luck, its a big round flat battery. Just the type of battery the shop dont stock. Walked across to the garage to see if they stock it, nothing. Now my phone's battery was also empty and my house is far so I thought I would just walk home to go get the other car and go look for a battery and then I had a lightbulb moment. In my quest for the broken fuse I saw in the cab where the fuse box is, there was a hole that looked similar to the end of my remote. I took the chance and opened the bakkie with the key. Alarm went off and I quickly opened that lid and pressed the remote in there and it worked!!!! 8 ) 8 ) 8 )

Now whats bothering me is that later the day my wife successfully locked and unlocked the bakkie with the remote so the battery cant really be the problem. Any of you had this sort of issue before?
Piesang

Post by Piesang »

LEKKER OM TE 4X4 NE
Now whats bothering me is that later the day my wife successfully locked and unlocked the bakkie with the remote so the battery cant really be the problem. Any of you had this sort of issue before?
Ja die battery doen dit, dit het nou al 2 keer met my gebeur en as ek die batery vervang dan is als weer regvir so jaar of twee.

"Onderwerp julle dan aan God; weerstaan die duiwel, en hy sal van julle wegvlug." Jak 4:7
jsrossouw
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by jsrossouw »

Ag dankie Pieter, dis al wat ek wou hoor.

Janee, dis baie lekker om te 4x4. Ek gaan nou die naweek skurwekop loop doen, bietjie bang want ek weet nog nie veel nie maar die mense se dis maklik, level 3 of iets.
Niel
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

Stephan, jy het verlede week by my verby gery in Vierlanden - ek sien nou eers die pic met die blou ligte .... sal volgende keer op die hoetter druk :thumbup:
jsrossouw
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by jsrossouw »

Hey, ek is gewild, weet net nie waar vierlanden is nie. Weet tien teen een maar my kop is 'n sif. Ja ons kort 'n secret hoot dat jy kan weet dit kom van die ouens op die forum af. Anders staan jy die kans dat ek of my co-pilot signs uit die ruit uit gooi :D: :D: :D: Jy ken mos CPT drivers.

Ek het nou gister daai explorer seat covers op die bakkie gesit. Did het vir my gevoel ek trek 'n sak oor 'n super model se gesig want die son gaan dit verniel. Maar my vrou het my maak dit doen. Het enige van julle daai seat covers gebruik? Die voorste enes werk nice en sit nice maar daai agterste enes is nie gemaak virre hilux nie. Die seat base kannie los nie so jy kan dit nie onder om vas maak nie. Die mechanism wat die seat vas clip teen die bakwerk kort 'n opening in die seat cover wat nie daar is nie. Ek voel dieselfde oor my seats as cellphones. Mense sit al die stoopid kondoom agtige rubber sakkies op hulle fone want dit gaan krap en lelik lyk. So what, dan vervang jy die foon of sy covers. Nou sit jy met 'n foon inne stoopid sakkie wat net nie so lekker tik nie maar hy gaan nie 'n hell krap nie. Jammer as ek iemand in die gesig vat hierso maar ek is knorrig oor my nice leer seats wat nou gecover moet word. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
jsrossouw
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by jsrossouw »

Ai, Ek het my roadworthy gefail :( :( :(

My Agter linker briek werk nie. Die ding is sop nat van brake fluid. My swaer se dis net die wheel cylinder wat in sy tjops is. Sal dit moet vervang. Ek het nou rond gebel en die stealers vra R600 vir so wheel cylinder en Midas vra R100. Is dit dan 'n pirate part en is dit safe?

Ek was die naweek toe vir my eerste offroad trip. Groot Toren. Dit was great fun. Ek lui nou aan ontrekking symptome. Ek will oor iets groots ry!! Teer pad verveel my na daai 4x4 route.
IMG_0266_resize.JPG
IMG_0233_resize.JPG
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

What about a slave cylinder kit! All you need is a cheapie honing tool from Midas and the kit (pistons seals and boots). It may be more than the pirate if you include the honing tool, but then you have it for the other side cylinder that will need to be done shortly as well in all likelyhood, and you still have oem parts. :think:
On the other hand, if the pirate part is by a reputable manufacturer, it might be the better option to replace both sides at the same time.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
jsrossouw
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by jsrossouw »

:shock: I need a book or something! My swarry is a merc mechanic and will do all the work for a bottle of jack. He prolly has that tool stuffs I will suggest the slave cylinder kit idea to him. I am clueless in this area so I will repeat your word exactly. Thanks Andy.
Piesang

Post by Piesang »

Ek was die naweek toe vir my eerste offroad trip. Groot Toren. Dit was great fun. Ek lui nou aan ontrekking symptome. Ek will oor iets groots ry!! Teer pad verveel my na daai 4x4 route.
Daar is altyd 'n paar taxi wat goeie hindernisse maak... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ek was die naweek toe vir my eerste offroad trip. Groot Toren. Dit was great fun
Ja as daai goga jou eers gebyt het dan los hy nie :thumbup:

jsrossouw
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by jsrossouw »

Ai ja jai. Ons het gister die brieke gestrip en dit draai uit dis nie die wheel cylinder nie. Daar lek toe diff olie in die drom in. Ons moes die hele side shaft uithaal en gaan nou maar 'n hele bearing job doen met seals en als.
Bloues
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Hilux 2.2 D/C

Post by Bloues »

Welkom by die Hilux Familie......!!! Chevy lyk goed maar sit "attach point" voor op hom, die Hilux gaan hom nog baie aan die brand sleep......

Geluk, jou bakkie lyk Goed !!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Bloues
(Nie blou bul maar SHARKS ondersteuner)
Don't fence me in.....
'91 D/Cab 2.2(4y) AKA - Bloues. Lifted Suspension, Dual Battery, 80Liter Freezer, Bridgestone Dueler A/T, 29Mhz Radio, Mud Creeper Winch(Aus), EasyAwn Rooftop Tent, Roofrack, Garmin Nuvi, Long Range Fuel Tank, Jacks+straps for landi recovery.....
jsrossouw
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by jsrossouw »

Ag Dankie Solly.

Nuwe update op die brieke saga. Was vandag by N1 City se toyota om die bearing uit te press. Toe wys hulle my dat die vorige ou het die hele saak verkeerd opgesit. Dis seker hoekom die seels seergekry het. Hy het twee collars onder die abs rotor gesit en toe nog een na die rotor. Op die ou einde kon hulle dit nie af press nie toe moes hulle al daai collars en die rotor af slaan en vervang (R1000 later). Bearing makeer toe niks nie. Side shaft lyk nou spiekerish en gaan vanaand install word. Daai N1 City toyota is nogals vriendelik, hulle het my nie eers labour gevra nie :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
jsrossouw
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by jsrossouw »

Ha, lanklaas vir julle vertel wat aangaan met my bakkie. Sideshaft was toe lekker install. Alles loop toe goed maar na die installation rattle die bakkie as ek oor 100 gaan. Na 2 wheel balancing doen die ding dit nogsteeds. Ons haal toe weer die wiele af om te kyk of die seals nog lek. Daar was so bietjie olie maar nie genoeg om bekommerd te raak nie. Na dit is die rattle sommer weg, virre week. Laat my swarrie weer kyk en ons kon nie eers die wiel afkry nie. Draai toe uit, die linker agter wiel auto adjust homself vas met elke handrem trek. Hiertoe en daartoe en niks werk nie. Het toe die lever weg gebuig. Dit lyk vir my soos pirate parts. Sal maar later as ek weer ryk is OEM loop koop.

Ek raak nou lekker opgewonde oor die mozambique trip. Ek weet ek sal tien teen een baie goedkoper kan weg kom deur met die Megane te ry maar dis mos nou nie fun nie. Ons gaan in Xai Xai loop bly vir 4 weke. Ek kan onthou dat iemand hier 'n mechanical/parts checklist gehad het om seker te maak jy sit nie in die bos met jou vinger in 'n slegte plek nie. Kan iemand dit vir my link samblief. My plan is ook om die conti's te gebruik op moz toe en dan te vervang as ek terug kom met Kumho's.

Se my, wat se batteries is goed vir jou tweede battery? Ek isse willard fan maar ek weet nie van deep cycle af nie. Is daar enige specials aan die gang deesdae? Ek weet mica is besig om clearance sales te hou by willowbridge maar ek weet nie of hulle daai tipe batteries verkoop nie.

Anywai, Hilux FTW!
Bosfebok
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Roodekrans
Vehicle: 1995 Hilux Raider 2.2
Club VHF Licence: X248

Post by Bosfebok »

Hi Stephan

Send Mark (Ooooms) a PM. He has very nice deep cycles in his bakkie.. He also has a contact that might supply the batteries at a good price... he has not been able to get hold of the guy recently... but it still worths the try. I have also ordered a battery from him...

Use deep cycle batteries, as they are designed to be discharged much deeper than high cycle batteries. High cycle batteries are designed to be discharged more frequently but only a little bit... like when you start your motor. Deep cycles can be safely discharged down to 50% of capacity and recharged again without any damage to the battery. If you frequently discharge a high cycle battery down to 50% then it will not last long.

Good luck. :thumbup:
Otto X248
1995 Hilux Raider 2.2 EFI Turbo DC
Alucab Canopy with Kitchen and Recovery sections
National Luna Split Charge system and Dual Battery
80W solar panel and MPPT controller
20.5" LED BAR
5ton tow bar with recovery points
Nudge-M front bumper
80l Long Range Fuel Tank
90l Water Tank
Slide Drawer System
Safari Snorkel
Double Lockers - Toyota Electric selectable
Diff breathers
The worst anti hi-jack alarm system ever, SANJI!!

A bad day out is still better than a good day in!!
jsrossouw
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by jsrossouw »

Thanks Otto. What is a good price for a deep cycle battery? I saw ones at outdoor warehouse for R1600 but thought that was a bit steap compared to normal ones.

I see national luna has a product that you can connect on the battery that shows you with LED's how much charge the battery still has left. Do they work accurately? I know the latest models of fridges has a meter like that built in or you can get it in a battery box but those are really expensive.
Bosfebok
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Bosfebok »

Do a search in Google for "Deltec Deep Cycle" 105 AH or so. There are a couple of guys selling them from home at not to bad prices... Outdoor Warehouse is crazy :!: :!: :crazy:

If Mark's contact come through, you'll pay much less than that...

Also, phone Deltec directly...they sell to the public.. 011 786 4911

My bakkie has a National Luna split charge system, it was in already when I bought it. It has a monitor for my main battery and the auxilliary. The battery is the fitted in the back with a bracket and also with lekker thick wire (welding wire) to prevent voltage drop..

Search this forum as well for "dual battery", "deep cycle" "national luna" etc.. you will find a lot of threads on the issue...

I think I read a thread once with a guy in Klerksdorp that builds these systems from home... you must maar search...
Otto X248
20.5" LED BAR
Nudge-M front bumper
80l Long Range Fuel Tank
90l Water Tank
Slide Drawer System
Safari Snorkel
Diff breathers

jsrossouw
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by jsrossouw »

Hi Otto,

Thanks, will check into the Deltech. I have a dual battery system installed but it has not monitors installed. Very simple, got a knob under the bonnet that I switch the system to dual battery, single battery or switch between different batteries. Then I also have welding cables running along the body to the back, the guy put it inside a thick hose pipe to keep it from getting wet. Just need the battery :D :D I got a makeshift battery box, thinking of buying one of those charge monitors and fitting it to my makeshift box so I can see if the battery is running flat so I can start the bakkie and give it a bit of charge.
bosjakkals
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Harrismith
Vehicle: 97 Hilux SFA ,31 BF's, Bullbar,Warn winch, Hunting frame, 2 spare wheels, Long range tank, High lift jack, Gearmax rear locker diff, Suspension unknown but very soft)

Post by bosjakkals »

Jys ge------- vang

Hoek lyn en sinker

Welkom en geniet

CJ
03 - Cruiser 105 GX
97 - Hilux 2.4 D/C -
05 - Pajero 3.2 DID SWB ( Ma se kar)
01-Prado 3.0 d (Gesien -Geniet - GEROL))
Bosfebok
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Bosfebok »

jsrossouw wrote:Hi Otto,

Thanks, will check into the Deltech. I have a dual battery system installed but it has not monitors installed. Very simple, got a knob under the bonnet that I switch the system to dual battery, single battery or switch between different batteries. Then I also have welding cables running along the body to the back, the guy put it inside a thick hose pipe to keep it from getting wet. Just need the battery :D :D I got a makeshift battery box, thinking of buying one of those charge monitors and fitting it to my makeshift box so I can see if the battery is running flat so I can start the bakkie and give it a bit of charge.
I am thinking that the manual switches are better, since mine is broken and now my second battery does not get any charge. One thing is about the manual switches is that you might forget it engaged, thus draining your main battery as well.

There are a couple of nice 4x4 shops in Brackenfell(I used to live there). The National Luna Battery monitor is very nice. You get ones that you can mount in the cab and it shows the voltage of both your batteries individually... The monitor will work well on your battery box...

enjoy :thumbup:
Otto X248
20.5" LED BAR
Nudge-M front bumper
80l Long Range Fuel Tank
90l Water Tank
Slide Drawer System
Safari Snorkel
Diff breathers

jsrossouw
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by jsrossouw »

Hi Guys,

I was camping this weekend at Dwarskerbos and I ran into some fellow overlanders. The driver of the D4D told me that he would not buy a deep-cycle if he was me as it needs too much maintenance and a normal battery costs a fraction of the cost. He thinks a normal battery is a better buy seeing that you just need to keep an eye on it and charge it as it gets too low.

Had some drama with my bakkie's main battery this weekend. Kept going flat so I thought it was time for a new one. Then on Sunday I noticed that the wire of my light I have in the back of the canopy is hanging. Turns out that the light had a short of some sort and melted to bits, that caused my battery to run flat. Seems OK now. But from my experiance with batteries, once it went flat once or twice, its tickets.

Cheers!

Return to “Members' Vehicles”