She might be mine?

Tell us a bit more about your Hilux (or other 4x4) and show off with some pictures.
the BuTch3R
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: '89 Hilux SFA - SOLD; '95 Hilux - STOLEN; '67 Series 2A Land Rover; 3.5 V6 Pajero; 120 Prado VX 4.0

She might be mine?

Post by the BuTch3R »

Greetings to all.

So what you're seeing here, this very first post of mine, is just my enthusiasm, fueled by the intriguing stories and photos on this awesome site, getting the better of me. The fact is that I don't even own a 4x4, and never have, but I'm hoping this will change within the next week or so.

While scouting the local paper for a decent 2nd hand vehicle with low mileage, I stumbled across a 1990 Hilux Surf 2.4 with about 200 000 kms on the clock. Not at all what I was looking for, but I couldn't resist checking it out......and I haven't stopped thinking, no, dreaming about it since. It's in good condition, considering it's age, but needs a bit of work (exhaust replacement, starter motor). Now I've just got to agree on the price with it's current owner and "she will be mine".

I've always wanted an offroad toy like this and I'm even more excited about the fact that these surfs are so rare around here, plus it's Toyota!!!

Will keep you posted on how the deal goes and will post pics as soon as it's officially mine. In the meantime I look forward to any views the experts may have on this vehicle. :wth:
Last edited by the BuTch3R on Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dadz Toy BFI

Re: She will be mine. Oh yes, she will...be mine.

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Welcome Shaun :thumbup:

Firstly; that Surf is a 2ltr 3y with EFi, the owner's rep doesn't really know the vehicle, never the less it's a great vehicle at the right price. The Transfer Case is making a hell of a bad knocking noise and it's bone dry due to a bad leak - the repair could be very costly.

Otherwise its a runner IF the papers are put in order; it won't be straight forward since it was last registered in 2006 and is legally still in Zambia :o:

I'd love to see it fall into good hands like your own, best of luck mate; I'm rooting for you :thumbup: :thumbup:

R :wink:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Welcome Shaun, and of course we share your enthusiasm :thumbup: The Surf is by all accounts a fantastic vehicle and mechanically are pretty much the same as the hilux, so spares are'nt a problem. It's only when it comes to body panels and trim etc. that you may find a little difficulty. Worst case scenario is that you may have to import these parts from Aus.

Some time ago, someone posted a nice pic of a Surf which I liked and added to my "Toyota Album". Drool if you will ... here it is ... :wink:
Wide_Flares[1].sized.jpg
Wide_Flares[1].sized.jpg (54.93 KiB) Viewed 4539 times
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
wacky
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Vehicle: 1996 dc raider 2,4

Post by wacky »

Oh Dear; I was about to ask u Shaun why not buy a hilux bakkie.U definately right when u say the surf is rare.the hilux is local and u can get spares for the hilux.I dont know about the surf.(not to step on anybodies toes.)If U want the surf ,then go for it. :thumbup:
the BuTch3R
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: '89 Hilux SFA - SOLD; '95 Hilux - STOLEN; '67 Series 2A Land Rover; 3.5 V6 Pajero; 120 Prado VX 4.0

Post by the BuTch3R »

I'm speechless. I really didn't expect any responses at all. Thanks so much to all for the words of advice and encouragement.

My dream has taken a slight knock following Rich's reply, but at the same time I'm happy that you've actually seen and driven the vehicle and were able to point these problems out to me. Me who absolutely no experience in motor mechanics and would definitely have been done in otherwise. I'm still very keen on the surf though. I think it's an awesome vehicle (Not nearly as awesome as the one in Mud Dog's pic....but has the potential).

So it really comes down to the price. I've got to make the owner an offer, bearing in mind that I will have to pay someone else to repair the knocks and leaks (among other things). Any idea what these repairs could amount to Rich? I've got to be realistic here as my current budget is very close to the asking price of the surf.
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Noob wrote:I'm speechless. I really didn't expect any responses at all. Thanks so much to all for the words of advice and encouragement.

My dream has taken a slight knock following Rich's reply, but at the same time I'm happy that you've actually seen and driven the vehicle and were able to point these problems out to me. Me who absolutely no experience in motor mechanics and would definitely have been done in otherwise. I'm still very keen on the surf though. I think it's an awesome vehicle (Not nearly as awesome as the one in Mud Dog's pic....but has the potential).

So it really comes down to the price. I've got to make the owner an offer, bearing in mind that I will have to pay someone else to repair the knocks and leaks (among other things). Any idea what these repairs could amount to Rich? I've got to be realistic here as my current budget is very close to the asking price of the surf.

I thought long and hard about Buying this myself Shaun it has soooo much potential :think:

The mechanic side should be taken into account when making your Offer; it could cost you LARGE (approx. 30-50% of asking price) to rectify, but the parts are all Hilux so they are available locally, 2nd hand or new :o:

My main doubt is the paperwork; if she can sort it out then great but beware this is the 2nd time this Baby has been on the market and I fear that the Papers are the stumbling block. :thumbdown: :Geek: :problem:

The missing body trim (rear right fender) will be difficult to source but not impossible if you are a patient man. :wink:

It would be a crying shame if this one ends up going for breaking only, let's face it you could almost re-coup the asking price in breaking alone - all it's gizmos are fully functional and it's a real beauty.

You'll not be the only one putting in an Offer, it's keeping a number of us awake at night :problem:

A Sale will have to be Conditional to the Legalities being complete, the lady cannot sell it otherwise without flaunting the law.

My heart says BUY IT, SFA and mechanically right it using Dadz as the Donor; scrapping Dadz and using the money to transplant a 3.4 Prado- but my head says otherwise...... :problem: :shifty:

Would be great to see this Surf staying in the Kaap, best of luck Shaun :thumbup:

Ps... Be quick man, before I change my mind :twisted:
wim
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Vryheid
Vehicle: 95 hilux d/c Hilex

Post by wim »

Shaun if jou decide to buy I can maybee stil help with a transfercase that i took out of a surf that im rebuilding.I have sold it already but the bloke said he isint gonna use it anymore if i now of someone that needs one he has stil got it.Make sure of the paper work because thats the reason why im rebuilding our surf for ofroad use only.
Attachments
hilux forum fotos surf 009.jpg
ImageImageImage
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

I did'nt see Richards post at the time of posting mine, but it seems he is familiar with the vehicle.
:eh:
The papers, transfer box leak / noises are not minor problems. Go carefully here ... do not fall into the trap of buying emotionally. :think: Compare this possible purchase against an SFA Hilux D/C, which being local means that there are more for sale, better choice and competion amongst the sellers. I think you would get more vehicle value for your money, and in the longer run more versatility and enjoyment. Then also, SFA is better than IFS for more rugged off-road use. Don't rush into this. Unless if on the other hand you don't have a limited budget, and can spend to cover all the mods and requirements. :roll: Give it some serious thought and buy with your head, not your heart. :think:

I'm not trying to dash your dreams, but rather to enhance them with the right choice of vehicle. :wink:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
the BuTch3R
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by the BuTch3R »

Geez guys. I'm not going to get any sleep tonight. Thanks again for all the input. I'll have to think long and hard on this one....and hope Rich doesn't beat me to it. :wink:
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Noob wrote:Geez guys. I'm not going to get any sleep tonight. Thanks again for all the input. I'll have to think long and hard on this one....and hope Rich doesn't beat me to it. :wink:
Don't worry Shaun you've got 1st crack at it (2nd as I know of one other offer from a Forum Member) :wink:

I'll only intervene to prevent her from going to the breakers :angel:

I've got peekchaz of her but I'm not posting till you and the other friend from the Forum have had a fair chance. :wink:
Duwayne
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Strand
Vehicle: 89 Toyota Hilux D/C 4x4 - 3Y & '92 Hilux D/Cab 4x4 2.7i

Post by Duwayne »

hi Noob,
how are you, well I am - was your opposition. So we are chasing the same girl for a date here :)
I went to look at the surf on Sunday. i have been keeping Rich up to date as well. if you want my side of the chase send me a pm or email me at dfox@rrs.co.za even got videos of the engine running (nokia software though)
I have lots of pic - long emails that i sent to Rich :) spilling my heart and asking his advise if I should propose :)
Ja the paper work seems to be a problem. Since my wife really really really doesnt like it, i think i will be giving up the chase soon. i will give you the run down of the problems i saw in case you missed something. my cell is 072 786 4087
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Duwayne wrote:hi Noob,
how are you, well I am - was your opposition. So we are chasing the same girl for a date here :)
I went to look at the surf on Sunday. i have been keeping Rich up to date as well. if you want my side of the chase send me a pm or email me at dfox@rrs.co.za even got videos of the engine running (nokia software though)
I have lots of pic - long emails that i sent to Rich :) spilling my heart and asking his advise if I should propose :)
Ja the paper work seems to be a problem. Since my wife really really really doesnt like it, i think i will be giving up the chase soon. i will give you the run down of the problems i saw in case you missed something. my cell is 072 786 4087

Does this mean the relationship is over Duwayne :o: :eh: :lol:

Will Miss my Agony Aunt role mate :( :wink:

(Guess what/who I dreamed of last night - she's getting to me too :!: )
the BuTch3R
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by the BuTch3R »

Thanks Duwayne, I'll mail you :thumbup:
Duwayne
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Duwayne »

:shock: not just yet - 1 or 2 afternoon dreams to go :shock:
the BuTch3R
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Re: She might be mine?

Post by the BuTch3R »

I appreciate all the info, advice and reality checks. I now am able to make a well informed decision on this vehicle. I realise that this is definitely not going to be an easy sale and that she has many demons that need to be exorcised before "she will be mine"..............but I still can't resist her :twisted:
So I'm putting in an offer this afternoon. One that suits my pocket, considering the work that's still to come (and subject to all legalities being addressed) I'll let you know what happens.

Failing this I'll have to settle for a bantam :shh: in the meantime and put my TOY on hold for another year or 2........ or there's always the SJ410 as a cheaper alternative until I can afford a HILUX. :shifty:
jsrossouw
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: 2.7i Hilux

Post by jsrossouw »

Hi Shaun,

Have you considered the SFA hilux? It goes for around R50k and it is all you need in an offroader. I am sure it can literally drive straight over a bantam bakkie :D: :D: :D: :D:
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

I repeat.
Compare this possible purchase against an SFA Hilux D/C, which being local means that there are more for sale, better choice and competion amongst the sellers. I think you would get more vehicle value for your money, and in the longer run more versatility and enjoyment. Then also, SFA is better than IFS for more rugged off-road use.
I don't even know all the facts about this vehicle, but from what I've read here, my money would be on the SFA's ... no doubt about it.

Stephan is in my opinion, correctly suggesting the same.
Have you considered the SFA hilux? It goes for around R50k and it is all you need in an offroader.

wacky
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Vehicle: 1996 dc raider 2,4

Post by wacky »

SFA ,SFA,SFA u go boy :lol: :thumbup:
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Looks like you're being steered away from her hey Shaun :roll:

BUT

If you've made her a "decent proposal" and she doesn't come to the party then; hey she was not the right gal for you then :shifty:

However; If the she accepts :idea:

Then you'll get all the support and advice from this Forum guaranteed bru :thumbup:

In the meantime, do some more reading; the Forum Archives are Full of great stuff Shaun, but beware - this Forum is terribly addictive :twisted:
the BuTch3R
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Re: She won't be mine?

Post by the BuTch3R »

Well, I tried :thumbdown: . But anyone paying more than what I offered could have rather spent it on a decent SFA, considering all the work required, and politics surrounding this vehicle. Would love to know what finally becomes of her. Will she ever be freed?

Me, I just simply can't afford a SFA right now, so I'll have to put that on hold for a while. I've got my eye on another "runaround" now. One that suits my wallet nicely (with some spare change for those unforeseen repairs and upgrades). It's not a hilux :oops: , but at the very least, it's driven by a Toy 2L Diesel motor.....for what it's worth.

Will probably not get away with calling it "the Beast".........it's more like "The Tortoise" :D:
Dadz Toy BFI

Re: She won't be mine?

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Noob wrote:

Would love to know what finally becomes of her. Will she ever be freed?

So would I, would be a crying shame if she ends up being a breaker, but I fear that is her destiny in SA :(

Noob wrote:

Me, I just simply can't afford a SFA right now, so I'll have to put that on hold for a while. I've got my eye on another "runaround" now. One that suits my wallet nicely (with some spare change for those unforeseen repairs and upgrades). It's not a hilux :oops: , but at the very least, it's driven by a Toy 2L Diesel motor.....for what it's worth.

Will probably not get away with calling it "the Beast".........it's more like "The Tortoise" :D:

Hang in there mate, there's a Hilux out there somewhere :thumbup:

"with your naam on it" :wink:
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Well, I tried . But anyone paying more than what I offered could have rather spent it on a decent SFA
Why don't you do just that .... put it towards a decent SFA. You don't have to get something with all the bells and whistles, just the basic vehicle in good condition, and then modify from there as the pocket allows and according to your desires / needs. :wink:

the BuTch3R
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by the BuTch3R »

Would love to Andy. The only reason the Surf was ever an option is 'cos it was REALLY cheap (almost half the price of what I'm looking at for a basic double cab SFA).
But, perhaps, if I'm patient enough, I'll find something that's affordable.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Hmmmm ..... there are ways around the registration paper problem, you know! :D: :wink:

the BuTch3R
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by the BuTch3R »

I'm so sick of Gumtree already :crazy: . I've been watching it like a hawk and still a few nice bakkies have slipped through my fingers. But I might just have a winner. Taking it for a drive tonight.

Watch this space!
Piesang
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Grabouw
Vehicle: '99 Hilux SRX d/c 4x4

Post by Piesang »

Noob have a look at viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7472

"Onderwerp julle dan aan God; weerstaan die duiwel, en hy sal van julle wegvlug." Jak 4:7
the BuTch3R
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by the BuTch3R »

VERY NICE !!!!
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Watch this space!
We're watching, and waiting in antici . . . . . pation! :wink:

the BuTch3R
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by the BuTch3R »

The search is over. Meet Roy in Member's rides .....(too technically challenged to add the link) :wth:
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

The link is here.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7478
:thumbup: :wink:

GOOSENZ
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: pukekohe
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 4x4

Post by GOOSENZ »

well to being a owner of a hilux as they are one of the best 4x4s ever to of been made. i have 2 of my own. i had 6 of them when i was staying in south africa.
the BuTch3R
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by the BuTch3R »

Thanks Anthony. And I'm really looking forward to seeing your project completed. It's gonna be one mean looking truck!!!
the BuTch3R
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by the BuTch3R »

By the way....does anyone know what became of the Zambia SURF? :?:
GOOSENZ
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by GOOSENZ »

those hilux surfs are extremely cheap over here to buy as i saw one of them sell for $800 nz dollars
the BuTch3R
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by the BuTch3R »

$800nz, that is cheap, considering this is almost what you paid for one of your tyres :lol:
GOOSENZ
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by GOOSENZ »

i through those super swampers away and bought a whole new set of maxxis creepy crawlers they are 37x 14.5x 15 and are fitted to a set of 15 X10 inch rim that all up came to $3000
the BuTch3R
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by the BuTch3R »

GOOSENZ wrote:i through those super swampers away and bought a whole new set of maxxis creepy crawlers they are 37x 14.5x 15 and are fitted to a set of 15 X10 inch rim that all up came to $3000
:eh: Do you have too much cash lying around or something :eh:

:wink:
GOOSENZ
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by GOOSENZ »

i just have a good job thats all. and i have been saving up for this project for a long time. i have a new picture of the truck and im just trying to get in onto the site for you all to see
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Noob wrote:By the way....does anyone know what became of the Zambia SURF? :?:
The "other guy" from the Forum is still chasing it, still hoping she'll get papers 1st :roll: :wink:
Spikevz
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Rustenburg
Vehicle: Toyota Stout Hilux 4X4 1980, Hilux de lux 1974 rw, Corolla

Post by Spikevz »

What is the newest on the surf. Want to make it disappare into the Karoo. Not for any one to find and it to be happy! Send me details like prise and no. pls. No need for any papers on a farm.
Toyota Stout Hilux 4X4 Driver
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Spikevz wrote:What is the newest on the surf. Want to make it disappare into the Karoo. Not for any one to find and it to be happy! Send me details like prise and no. pls. No need for any papers on a farm.
You're probably it's greatest hope.

Still no papers (and shalt never be in my books) :cry:

PM "Duwayne Fox" for the Owners details :wink:
Spikevz
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Spikevz »

Thanks bro
Duwayne
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Duwayne »

Hi Guys,
I am still trying to chase this one down. I must say it is a frustrating game as the owner is overseas and has a representative (nice lady) but not too interested in selling the vehicle. It seems that the papers are in Zambia still, so most likely it was not a legal import to SA. Papers, Papers!!!! I test drove the vehicle, runs well just needs work. Exhaust is like an aero chocolate bar - full of holes :) but the biggest worry is the transfer case - bad oil leak and horrible noise when engaged. Hoping it is just bone dry inside. Standard 3Y-EFI. Now this was very tempting for me as my Hilux has a 3Y at the moment - would of loved to get the EFI for the Hilux if it was a breaker. But to destroy this one would be a shame. Body not too bad - drivers door the worst! Interior is good, all the "creature comforts" of that time. BUT - Windscreen cracked, paint faded, steering wheel tinny :roll: but all in good time! If the papers are available i wont think twice of getting this one, especially now that my wife loves it as well! they say a pic says a thousand words, well my wife hated it in pictures but took her on a skelm outing to go view it and now she loves it the height and all. looks butch in our books. Has rancho adjustable shocks as well. not electronic anymore by looks of it.
lets try upload some pics that i have been drooling over - like thy say beauty is in the eye of the beholder - so she is stunning in my books and especially in my eyes for the future once back in good nik! P.S: I found a place overseas that sells the wheel arches like these for +/-US$300 plus freight. Apparently from will fit on hilux but the back is a problem.
Attachments
05072009(025).jpg
05072009(016).jpg
05072009(009).jpg
05072009(011).jpg
05072009(007).jpg
05072009(018).jpg
05072009(018).jpg (22.04 KiB) Viewed 3975 times
05072009(024).jpg
05072009(004).jpg
the BuTch3R
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by the BuTch3R »

:( :( :( :( :(
GOOSENZ
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by GOOSENZ »

there are tons of those hilux surfs here in nz just look on this website, it is www.trademe.co.nz
Duwayne
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Duwayne »

hi guys,
papers are not gonna happen. Owner prepared to sell without papers, Spikevz was next in line for her. He can update us on the outcome of this one and how she drives especially wots up with the t case.
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

This is bad news, as you would not be able te register this vehicle in the RSA without the proper documentation. She'll have to become a donga warrior.. :shock: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Duwayne wrote:hi guys,
papers are not gonna happen. Owner prepared to sell without papers, Spikevz was next in line for her. He can update us on the outcome of this one and how she drives especially wots up with the t case.

Pieter (Spikevz)

Promise you'll treat her like a lady :?:

Duwayne and I would like visiting rights asblf :wink:
Spikevz
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Spikevz »

Can be organised
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Spikevz wrote:Can be organised
Pieter

please keep us up to date with your new love affair - at that prys it's a gift nê :P

Return to “Members' Vehicles”