Family_Dog

Introduce yourself and Meet the rest of the crowd
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

I was going to remain in the background, but seeing you're all being so courteous, I figured I should also introduce myself.

Single, live in Klerksdorp (yeah, enough of that!) and have three Hiluxes. Like Simon says, no kids, so have to spend your $$ elsewhere.

The first Hilux I bought was the 2.7i which IO bought new in 1999 when my 190E was rammed from behind whilst I had stopped and was waiting to turn right into school grounds at an intersection. The youngster who rammed me from behind was busy eying out the opposite sex who were exiting the school... he never realised I was stationary, with the right flicker on. So I figured the car will be at the panel beaters for a while, and had always wanted a bakkie... I ended up buying a new Raider DC 4x4 instead of the SWB 4xs SC that I had originally intended to buy, bu I definitely have no regrets over that! :D BTW, the car was finished in less than two weeks and all they replaced was the right tail light lens and the rubber/plastic bumper. The guy who rammed me had to have a whole new front section fitted to his car, from the windscreen forward. Towbars really can be effective... :mrgreen:

Then two years ago I swapped out a 1984 Honda Ballade that had only 55,000 genuine KMs on it for the SWB 4x2. The SWB was in need of a paint job and some minor repairs, I had it resprayed, I posted a full story of its progress with [pictures on the old 4xforum, but that unfortunately went belly-up :( It has a 3Y engine fitted, although it was originally 2.4D, but the previous owner did the conversion before I got the vehicle. This one is my daily runabout.

The 1987 DC SFA has to be my favourite bakkie! I bought it about a year ago from a chap w3ho had just completed a Botswana trip, piston-slap & all! This vehicle had done over 300,000Km and I decided to spend some money on it as I enjoyed it so much. It is totally rattle-free, the engine was replaced with a Midas 4Y engine, although I am now in the process of having the original engine re-conned as well, I like top keep my Hilux all Hilux! I am debating about sending it in for as complete paint job, not really needed but it has some places where the original paintwork has been polished away(!) as well as small rust spots here and there. Still deciding on this though, total respray to same colour is R8,000.

Other interests are power-boating on the Vaal River (20 minutes away), Caravaning, Audio & Home Theatre, and vintage audio equipment. I have built a number of valve amplifiers (yeah... those funny glass bottle things...).

For a living, we sell & service two-way radios and Garmin GPS receivers. My work address is based exactly one kilometre from my home, and on rough mornings I might have to wait for four or five cars to pass by at the one and only Stop street on the way to work. Damn!

Finally, yes, I love my dogs! Having lost two of them earlier this year through old age, I have just acquired a Staffie puppy who keeps all of us on our feet, including Rusty, the Jack Russell. Tammy is now nearly five months old and wakes me up every morning by licking all over my face, tail wagging 90 beats to the dozen.

What do I look like? Well, I really searched to find any photos of me on the computer... sorry, it's all I have :o

Me as a baby...

Tammy Staffie
at 6 weeks
10 minutes ago, at 5 months

Rusty

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Re: Family_Dog

Post by pietpetoors »

Finally I can put a face to the name. Thank you for posting your picture and details.
Welcome again Eric.
At least now we know who we can contact for advice on GPS and Radios.
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Hi Piet,

The only photo I have of myself on this computer was taken when I was about two years old, in black & white and with what looks like a Beatles haircut... I preceded the Fab Four!

I took the photo of Tammy especially for this thread, do you think I could get her to sit or stand still??? Not a chance!! It was taken outside, was already dark, and my camera battery was flashing as "LOW BATTERY"... I never knew the battery icon turned red when the battery was low, I now know so :)

Will give whatever advice I can on GPS & radios with pleasure, we have sold many more Quests than any other GPS, although we have flogged a couple of 276Cs. I have never heard of an unhappy Quest owner!

-F_D

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

Hi FM

Nice to put a face to the name.

Garmin Quest is awesome. I have a number of questions but first (or rather last) I will ready the manual before asking.
SYRON CONVERSIONS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

Old Valve Radios, well well well, I have a nice little baby, but I am not sure if I can post a photo of it here, send me an email and I will send you a photo of it, it is a 6 volt unit, it still works, consists of two sections joined together with some cloth covered wires, I think the one section is also the speaker, nice short green grass in your garden,

(who cuts the grass?)
Oh what wonderful cute little friends you have, this evening when I got home at 19h00, was out helping my friend Marion with his 2004 Landrover Defender 110, there is a noise in his Landy's Transfer case, ugly noise sounds like R15 000. or R20 000. rands worth of damage, ah shame why do I drive a Hilux :o

Anyway Marion is taking it to my other mate who has a workshop to take the gearbox out to be repaired.

But getting back to your grass :wink: I know why it is soooo green

Must be the fertilizer that you use :)

Thank's for the photo's, always thought you were married, wondered who kept your vehicle so nice and clean? :shock:
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

Old Valve Radios ??? :oops: :oops: If you have a picture please post because I have been wondering what FM was on abought. I suspect before my time 8) 8) Maybe call it education:!: :!:
SYRON CONVERSIONS

Got the thing in the garage too cold to go outside now, will take photo tomorrow and then post here for you to see.
:)
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2006 Hilux DC V6 Auto 4x4 Oldman Emu suspension

Post by Cookie Monster »

Hay FD

Really cool to put a face to the Famous Dog :mrgreen:
2006 Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V6 Old Man Emu suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank and a LA Sport Sump Guard, Natko railings with spade and high lift brackets, LA Sport high lift jack mounts, Powder coated Hilux Nudge Bar, Hella LED light bar, LED Work Light
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Hi FD
Nice to put a face to the name.We should call you uncle FD from now :wink:
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
SYRON CONVERSIONS

But we already have an Uncle here, thus I suppose two will not make a difference, Andries that Farmer recons so :roll:

simoan
Rite1
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Rite1 »

Hey there FD. Nice to meet you
EX :05 2.7VVT-i SRX S/C , 29MHZ Radio , Warn M8000 , Hella Dynaview Spots , National Luna Dual Battery & Contoller , BFGMT 16" , Garmin Quest

08 3.0D4D TUNA, 29MHZ RADIO (P21), Warn M8000, Hella Rally Spots, National Luna Dual Battery & Controller, Full Iron Man Suspension, Engel 40lt, 500w & 150w Inverter, Garmin Quest & Nuvi 500, Ipod Prep
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Well.... I suppose being called "Uncle" is better than being referred to as "Oupa" :mrgreen:

My niece & her husband (early thirties) call me Uncle, but their kids, one 7 year-old boy and 13 year-old daughter, call me "Eric". Image

But guys, I stopped having birthdays many years ago, so I remain............................33 Image

-F_D
<Frisky_Dog>

BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Family_Dog wrote: But guys, I stopped having birthdays many years ago, so I remain............................33 Image
-F_D
<Frisky_Dog>
Eric

Jy weet wat sê hulle van ou honde :twisted: :twisted:

Now man you are only as old as the music you listen to, and judging from the CDs you sent me annerdag 33 seems just right.

I also think it is a good idea to stop having birthdays. Today in the bank while I was waiting for the check to pay for Charmaine's new (secondhand), car the lady informed me that it is exactly 5 month before my birthday. I think I also prefer to stay 33 :wink:
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Cookie Monster »

Hi FD

Hope you dont mind I borrowed your idea for you signature :?: :mrgreen:

Regards
CM
2006 Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V6 Old Man Emu suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank and a LA Sport Sump Guard, Natko railings with spade and high lift brackets, LA Sport high lift jack mounts, Powder coated Hilux Nudge Bar, Hella LED light bar, LED Work Light
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Hi Justin,

I like it! Actually, Bennie inspired me :mrgreen:

-F_D

Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Cookie Monster »

Cool :mrgreen: Then I have joined a very exclusive club :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Ottosdal
Vehicle: Rocky's

Post by ToyX4 »

Hi F_D

Can I get the new Garmap V1.5 DVD from you?

I have a nuvi 610, registered the software. Looking for the upgrade DVD, which also contains the topographic maps.

Let me know

ToyX4
ImageImage
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

You can indeed, I'm just not sure what the procedure is for a pre-loaded SD card. Are you able to "over write" what is already on the card? Sounds dof, but we have never yet sold Nuvi, mainly Quests & 276C, so I have no experience how this would work. But I will definitely query Avnic on this tomorrow.

-F_D

ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Ottosdal
Vehicle: Rocky's

Post by ToyX4 »

I did receive the Garmap cd with my unit, suppose to reload if the card fails or something.
But yes it will work.
I think the DVD is free for registered users, and a license is bought online to access additional
features( eg Topo)

Looking forward to your reply

ToyX4
ImageImage
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Yep, if you already have SASM version 1, then the upgrade is free. If you want to add topo, then you pay an additional amount (Not sure how much now, about R320 or so) for the topo *if* you have version 1 SASM v1. But combined, they use up over 800Mb memory, so I just put in the topo details that I thought I would probably use. If you want any additional countries not yet on version 1, there is a small upgrade fee as well.

If you ever come to Klerkies, I'll help you.

-F_D

Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Hey Guys,

I've been learning some new tricks!!

Go to this page http://www.idodogtricks.com/index_flash.html

and type in some tricks for me to do... I can

Bark
Roll
Sleep
Beg
Fetch
Jump
Sit
Play Dead
Walk
Lie

and I am still learning new tricks!

-F_D

Return to “Meet the People”