New Member from New Zealand

Introduce yourself and Meet the rest of the crowd
NightMorph
Town: Wellington
Vehicle: Hilux YN67

New Member from New Zealand

Post by NightMorph »

Hi Everyone,

I am a new member and a proud owner (recent) of an awesome SA imported 1991 4x4 Hilux YN67 double cab ute. I recently purchased this vehicle for $4k (NZD) and have had to do quite a bit of work to get it to a warrantable standard ( warrants of fitness (WOF) in NZ are the checks done every year to ensure roadworthiness). All up I've spent $1800.00 on parts and my own labour would easily match that. But I no mind, because this Hilux is just such a great vehicle and much better than my Nissan pathfinder (due to the fact it's more of a work horse than a round towner - don't get me wrong, I loved my pathfinder too - it was a '98)

I'm 47 and have an awesome wife, and two wonderful children (boy 9 and girl 17 (oh 17!!! Arrrggghhhhh) and live in NZ's capital - Wellington. I'm looking forward to getting out and about in my new acquired beast, and see some of the "real NZ" as we have a lot of awesome territory of varying geography. Especially wellington's south coast and red rocks/devils gate.

I've referred to this site many a time over the past month to help me through some tuff repairs, and must say that the community here is just awesome. So thank you!!!!

Looking forward to be an active member an sharing some adventures :)
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Crooza VX 80 EFI
Club VHF Licence: HC 127

Re: New Member from New Zealand

Post by zepplin »

Welcome Adrian. One thing you need to understand is that the guys (and girls) over here, unlike the Saffer expats over there, can't read so well and prefer pictures! :slap:

Let's see what the 'bakkie' (ute) looks like. :subscribed:
Crooza VX 80 efi - fully locked.
NightMorph

Post by NightMorph »

Already uploaded, your finger is a bit too quick on the trigger! :P
4x4BEES
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0V6

Post by 4x4BEES »

Welcome :thumbup: :thumbup:

Hope you enjoy it here on the forum and your truck looks awesome :thumbup:
NightMorph

Post by NightMorph »

Thank you both for the Welcome :)

...soooo, did you check out ma bakkie? huh? huh? huh??

Oh you did! big smiles!
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by zepplin »

Aaahhh........... Now I see where you hid the pic! :shock2:

Looks pretty stock to me...............LET THE MODIFICATIONS BEGIN!!! :yahoo: :yahoo:
Pote
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Hartbeespoort
Vehicle: Fortuner D4d 4x4 & VW Passat
Club VHF Licence: X228

Post by Pote »

Very welcome Adrian.

I know you will enjoy it here with us... :thumbup: :thumbup:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Welcome aboard, Adrian!! :thumbup: :thumbup:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Derren
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: 2001 Hilux KZ-TE D/C

Post by Derren »

Welcome!! :wave:

My sister and her husband live in Wellington, NZ. They're into 4x4ing (red Toyota Surf) as well and belong to CCVC.
Toyota Hilux D/C KZ-TE 2001
TJM Bumper, TJM XGS Suspension (with Bilstein shocks), Gomad Alu-Canopy, Snorkel, Chip & Intercooler, Dual Battery
Hyundai ix35 2.0 2011

Four Wheel Drive Club - Western Cape
Hilux4x4.co.za Club
FIRSTGEER
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Hi there Adrian and welcome to our forum.
NightMorph

Post by NightMorph »

Thank you to everyone for the very warm welcome! Awesome!

@Derren - Would be keen to meet up with your sibling and maybe even go on an adventure or 10 :)

@ Zeppelin - I am the sort of guy that likes "sneaky mods" - you know, the type when people see the 4x4 they go "nice stock ute....oh wait a minute, a stock 4x4 can't do that!" Let the sneaky mod suggestions begin! :D
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Let the sneaky mod suggestions begin!
The 4Y motor is slow but it's awesome off-road - maybe bump up the KW with an EFI conversion if you want to keep it, otherwise Lexus V8.
Then OME suspension for some better flex, lift and ride comfort.
The '91 model should still have the jap 3rd member diffs front and back - some ARB lockers (pricey) would make it killer.
Perhaps some new 'shoes' - the speedo reads true with 32" tyres but the 4y is most comfortable with 31's.

;-)

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
NightMorph

Post by NightMorph »

@ Mud dog - thank you for the advice. Yeah I wanna keep the 4y. It seems like a good strong engine, and already has shown more modern 4x4's up in the ability to get one to where one needs to go ( maybe that's the running gear as well mind you). I will be considering fuel injection, and am already running 31s on her feet.

Tell me more about the OME Suspension.....that is one area I definitely want to tackle sooner that later :) And what is this ARB lockers thingymajig? How would tell if have the 3rd gen stock jap diffs?

I just installed a new head unit and speakers, and I swear it makes the bakkie run heaps better :P
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Ah, hell yes, some serious "boom boom" sound will always make a car go faster, same like having challenge stripes over the hood! :twisted: :twisted: :D:

OME = Old Man Emu, the suspension kits are made in Aus, so should be easy for you to get, as are ARB diff-lock units.

Have a look at the front diff and compare it to the rear one. The front will be the original Jap diff and the 'pumpkin' is tapered into the axle housings. These diffs are tough. I did not mean 3rd generation, but 3rd member - that means that the actual diff is removed intact from the housing for replacement / service purposes - there is no removable rear cover plate on the diff.

I suspect that with your model the rear diff will be the same. If however the rear one has a removable cover plate and is more round (not tapered into the axle housings), then it's a Gearmax diff produced here in RSA, and will use a different diff-lock system. Both diffs have a 4.855:1 ratio.

As I said, the 4y has excellent low down torque and L2 (2nd gear / low range) at just above idle speed will get you almost everywhere unless you need to crawl a little slower like through rocks, then use L1.

Happy trails! ;-)

zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by zepplin »

A 'doef-doef' sound system is hardly a sneaky mod Adrian, but you say, it makes it go heaps better. :twisted:

The ARB 'thingymajig' is a diff lock system that gets installed in your diffs (front & rear if you want a killer machine, or just rear will suffice) that, with the push of a button, locks the two drive shafts together giving you 100% power to both wheels on that axle even when one wheel is in the air.
GMan
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Toyota

Post by GMan »

Good to have you on the forum. Now we have someone to abuse when the Boks play the All Blacks..
Derren
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: 2001 Hilux KZ-TE D/C

Post by Derren »

Hi NightMorph

Sorry for the delay... don't always get the time to hang out on the forum.

Have a look here http://www.ccvc.org.nz at the club they (Kerry and Shaun) belong to.
Shaun is leading the next trip which is this Saturday (31st).

I believe they have trips where non-club members are available.
Toyota Hilux D/C KZ-TE 2001
TJM Bumper, TJM XGS Suspension (with Bilstein shocks), Gomad Alu-Canopy, Snorkel, Chip & Intercooler, Dual Battery
Hyundai ix35 2.0 2011

Four Wheel Drive Club - Western Cape
Hilux4x4.co.za Club
Thunder02
Town: East Rand
Vehicle: IFS Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC105

Post by Thunder02 »

GMan wrote:Good to have you on the forum. Now we have someone to abuse when the Boks play the All Blacks..
:laugh2:
Welcome aboard :wave:
Not all those who wander are lost!

Scout motto:be prepared....
www.4x4direct.co.za
Email: boksburg@4x4direct.co.za
IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!

Return to “Meet the People”