commander
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: benoni
Vehicle: jaguar

Newbie - Paragliding

Post by commander »

Good day to members

I found this forum while I was looking for advice about the right 4 x 4 to purchase. I know very little about 4 x 4 although I did travel throughout SWA (Namibia) 30 years ago in a Nissan Patrol. While I did get stuck occasionally in sand it was usually my fault for not letting down tires or even being in 4 x 4 mode.

I recently took up Paragliding and soon found out that this means getting to a mountain and then getting up the mountain and my road vehicle (FWD) is just not suitable even though it has done admirably so far.

So my need is for vehicle which travels comfortably on tar 85 to 90% and gravel & mountain tracks 10% to 15% of time with 4 persons. The vehicle must be suitable for the wives to be able to drive up and down the mountain (we fly down) and longish distances on gravel roads / tracks. the vehicle will then be loaded with more people and paragliding kit since everyone always needs a lift.

Occasionally we may even need to camp out overnight.

Since this is an occasional weekend sport, it is not worth buying new and a good reliable 4 x 4 is being sought.

A Hilux double cab has amongst others been recommended. It is amazing how around a fire the very vocal opinions of people can get around the most suitable vehicle from soft 4 x 4's to most rough and tough.

Please feel free about giving advise to a newbie.

Regards
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Newbie - Paragliding

Post by Mud Dog »

Welcome aboard, Craig! :thumbup:

Yep, by the sounds of it, a 4x4 double cab 'bakkie' is the best suited for your needs to carry both persons and gear. When you enter this territory, the Hilux has proven itself over the decades for rugged reliability. Not bashing any other brands here, but facts are facts. The big question is whether it will be used as a daily (or regular) runabout as well .... Hiluxes are not renowned for good fuel economy. (The flip-side of that coin is that what you save on repairs and maintenance more than off-sets the cost of the extra fuel.)

One can pick up an old SFA (Solid Front Axle) Hilux in still fair condition for about R80K +, they cannot be killed and will just about climb trees, but they're not built for comfort. It's replacement model was the IFS, also tough, but the Independent Front Suspension provided better ride comfort. Here one can spend about R110k + for something in reasonable nick. Depending on your budget you could look for the latter day Vigo shape,(which is also comfortable independent front suspension), but then you'd be looking at about R160K+.

Good luck with your decision. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Thunder02
Town: East Rand
Vehicle: IFS Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC105

Post by Thunder02 »

Welcome Craig, I see you in our neck of the woods, you should join up at one of our events, and see what the different toyota products are like offroad.
Not all those who wander are lost!

Scout motto:be prepared....
www.4x4direct.co.za
Email: boksburg@4x4direct.co.za
IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!
commander
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by commander »

Thanks Mud Dog, especially for indicated pricing for used. What sort of year are we talking here for SFA and IFS?
What about extras fitted. Do these come "free" or does this add to typical used pricing eg dual battery, roofrack, storage drawers?

Thanks Thunder02. How do I join up at one of your events - I would really like to do so. The other vehicle suggested as suitable is the Fortuner - although the used 4 x 4 models are a lot more expensive.
Thunder02
Town: East Rand
Vehicle: IFS Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC105

Post by Thunder02 »

SFA - pre 1999
IFS - 1999 to 2005
Vigo - 2005 to present
Revo - release 2016

Keep an eye on GTG's, we will be posting the next event shortly.
Not all those who wander are lost!

Scout motto:be prepared....
www.4x4direct.co.za
Email: boksburg@4x4direct.co.za
IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Craig, add-on extras would certainly influence the price a little, depending on what they are. However, typically the seller recovers very little IRO the cost of extras and it's often too much of a schlep to remove and try sell separately. So the buyer often benefits handsomely with modifications / extras.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Welcome Craig,
The other matter to remember is that the newer the model, the better the ride comfort, fuel consumption, power and everything else that goes with the vehicle. The vehicles are all very good and reliability is built into them, but obviously, the older the vehicle, the more likely it is to start needing a bit of attention here and there.
I see you ride a Jaguar, so if you are looking for something which is more universal, you can look at the bigger engined Toyota's for the Power in the Hiluxes/Fortuners or the Toyota Cruiser range...
Your Jag may be able to go faster, but the mentioned Toyotas can just about go anywhere...
Good luck with your choice and go out with the fellows in your area, You will see that they are mostly all down to earth people with similar outdoor interests to your own and will accept just about any make of vehicle that you decide to choose. You will be the deciding factor...
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
Bugzy
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Rustenburg
Vehicle: 2015 Hilux S/C 4X4 Dakar1996 2.8D s/c 4x4 Hilux with 3CT Toyota motor
Club VHF Licence: X56

Post by Bugzy »

Welcome Craig. Hope you enjoy it here
commander
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by commander »

Just an update. I purchased a 1993 Hilux Raider 2200 D/C from its owner since new. Total mileage 170000km but engine was replaced 40000km ago with new (same) Y4 engine and 20000km ago set by Steves. Vehicle condition inside and outside is in great original condition even though vehicle has done multiple trips to Botswana and Namibia etc. Extra's fitted is old man Emu suspension, stainless steel exhaust system, dual battery, winch, rear diff lock, front and rear towbars, roof rack with roof tent and roof luggage box, canopy and tinted windows all round, extra spare wheel, all terrain tyres, side tent, drawer system inter alia.

Decision to buy this vehicle was greatly influenced by articles in this forum.

Thank you for assistance all.
4x4BEES
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0V6

Post by 4x4BEES »

Congratulations on the purchase Craig.

Hope you enjoy it and it takes you to wonderful places.
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Well done!

If interrested, a mate has got a wing for sale. Apparently the bees kneed iro flying.
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Obelix and Dogmatix
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: ROODEPOORT
Vehicle: HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix, donated to some clown, HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix II Onca front and rear Amade extreme Suspension and under water breathing apparatus

Post by Obelix and Dogmatix »

There is only one problem with your vehicle Craig, it seems like you have nothing else to add to the vehicle so you will miss out on kitting it out yourself.

Welcome to the club
Rules are there to make you think before you break them!!!
God made man before
woman so as to give him time
to think of an answer
for her first question
COMMON SENCE IS NOT A GIFT, IT IS A PUNISHMENT!! BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO DEAL WITH EVERYONE WHO DOES NOT HAVE IT!!!
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Congrats! Sounds like you got a good buy! :thumbup:

zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Crooza VX 80 EFI
Club VHF Licence: HC 127

Post by zepplin »

Welcome Craig.

Move to Cape Town and you can drive to the take off sites in a low slung Golf if you want. It'll save you the frustration of deciding on which Hilux to buy. :cooldude:
Crooza VX 80 efi - fully locked.
commander
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by commander »

Having flown in Wilderness - all sites easily reachable with basic hire cars.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

commander wrote:Having flown in Wilderness - all sites easily reachable with basic hire cars.
maar os weet mos n AVIS Golfie is die beste 4x4. :twisted: :twisted:

Does a double cab offer enough seats for your trips back to the other vehicles ??

Would have thought a 7 seater might be better suited ... (?)

When in the area - EXCELLENT paragliding spot at Hermanus ! :thumbup: Often see more than 10 gliders hanging in the updraught.
commander
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by commander »

I once took a Avis Golf 4 x 4 in Namibia. Was actually astounded just where a basic car can take you.

An open truck and trailer is best for trips back as it can haul many pilots and kit if you out with bunch of pilots.

Double Cab or SUV is fine otherwise.

Will have to try Hermanus one day.

Thanks.
commander
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by commander »

It seems ChrisF was right. I have now acquired a 7 seater and will be probably be shot by all the forum members now. Purchased a Ford Everest Ltd. Did a trip to Barberton and used it there.

So now I need to sell the Raider SFA. Will be advertising it shortly.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

EXCELLENT vehicle !!

Friend has one, and did the Orange River trail with us, including all types of vehicles.

The Everest idled through where many were bottoming out.

Gave them very good service.
Attachments
Chris and Greta-282 (Small).jpg
_26B3062 (Small).JPG
Dadz Toy
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 95 Series Prado - Diesel Dog
Club VHF Licence: HC 286

Post by Dadz Toy »

commander wrote:It seems ChrisF was right. I have now acquired a 7 seater and will be probably be shot by all the forum members now. Purchased a Ford Everest Ltd. Did a trip to Barberton and used it there.

So now I need to sell the Raider SFA. Will be advertising it shortly.

Pistols at dawn!!

Enjoy your Vrot man!

Rich :cooldude:
Rich :cooldude:

Return to “Meet the People”