Squeaky noice when going over bumps in my Toyota fortuner

Introduce yourself and Meet the rest of the crowd
vleisie
Town: Robertsham
Vehicle: Toyota Fortuner

Squeaky noice when going over bumps in my Toyota fortuner

Post by vleisie »

Hi..... Im new to this community....... Need some help plz..... I own a 2010 Toyota fortuner and recently noticed a squeaky irritating noice everytime I drive over any small bump......
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Re: Squeaky noice when going over bumps in my Toyota fortuner

Post by CasKru »

Sounds like suspension rubbers making the noise. They tend to do this when they get old but wouldn't expect it on a 2010 Fortuner unless it has done a lot of dirt and mud roads or river crossings.
To God be the glory
pietdevs
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Mosselbay
Vehicle: Toyota Land Cruiser Troopy

Post by pietdevs »

Mine did this - I fitted grease nipples on the front steering joints and all possible suspension joints and greased it. Gone was the squeaks!
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Suspension bushings or shocks for sure, Does it sound like it's coming from the front or the back?
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
vleisie

Post by vleisie »

Sounds like its coming from the front
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Eish! The front is normally the worst to sort out, it's most likely to be the upper and lower control arm bushes, which just means stripping out the suspension if there are no grease nipples on the bush housings. If there are no grease nipples, then jack up, support chassis, wheel off, support the lower control arm, McPherson strut out and then you should be able to get to the bolts / pins that the control arms pivot on. Remove pins, replace if worn, inspect bushes, replace if worn, grease pins and replace.

Before you do all that, just check that it's not the shocks .... the stanchions could be dry - unlikely, but possible. Get some oil on them and see if the squeak disappears. If there's a concertina rubber dust protection boot, just loosen the lower clamp, lift and oil the stanchion. If it's the more common metal shroud, spray some Q20 or WD40 up into it. Note that this is only a temporary solution and it will soon start squeaking again - the shocks should be replaced. The other thing to check before any major stripping, is the torsion bar bushes.

Good luck. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Rianc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2.8GD6 Double CabHilux 4X4

Post by Rianc »

Stem saam met Andy, full lube service only last for a month or two and the squeak will come back! Could never sort out my Hilux, summers was better than cold winters.
vleisie

Post by vleisie »

damn......ok thanks guys I will try .....this noise gets worse as the car get hotter.....
its like those squeaky hammers kids used to play with .....

Return to “Meet the People”