Advice on lubricant leak from front wheel

Introduce yourself and Meet the rest of the crowd
kenbuk
Town: Kimberley
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 2.4 petrol 4x4 single cab 1998

Advice on lubricant leak from front wheel

Post by kenbuk »

Hi Gentlemen,

I own a Toyota Hilux 2.4 petrol 4x4 single cab 1998 with 195 000 km to it. I have been using her for my M.Sc. on black rhinos amongst other things, but unfortunately when it comes to mechanics I am an ignorant. Recently she started leaking oil or grease profusely from the inside of the right front wheel apparently from around the ball joint. I remember encountering a similar leak more than 7 years ago, and I believe just the seals were changed and all was good. Am I wrong to assume this is likely to be the problem again?

Lately it has also appeared as if the steering became hard to turn for a fraction of a second, and then there would be deep "gunk" sound from the steering as it regained its normal smoothness. Is this likely to be associated with the loss of lubricant from the ball joint or not?

Toyota's workshop in Kimberley is trying make me change all sorts of other parts, which sounds unnecessary and extremely expensive: front suspension, rear suspension and other things I am yet to see in writing. I will go there tomorrow for their explanations. Please advice if there are any parts it makes sense to change at this stage (195 000 km), now that Toyota is fiddling with the front axle. I assume seals on both sides ought to be changed, but is there anything else that is likely to be finished at 195 kkm? The natural thing would be to ask the Toyota workshop, but it appears to me their main mission is to rip off gullible costumers.

Thanks,

Kenneth Buk
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Advice on lubricant leak from front wheel

Post by Mud Dog »

Hi Kenneth and welcome to the forum! :thumbup:

This leaking at the knuckle that you describe is not uncommon with older units. Essentially what is happening is that the inner shaft seal is now leaking and weeping diff oil into the knuckle where it mixes with the grease, thereby thinning it. The grease being thinned then weeps past the knuckle felt seals.

A complete seal fit should be used to rectify this.

The "gunk" sound could be from something that's fouling against something else and is not impossible but not likely to be from the Birfields inside the knuckle. Check to see that the steering "J" arm and drag-link clear the U-bolts and leaf-packs on both sides.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
kenbuk
Town: Kimberley
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 2.4 petrol 4x4 single cab 1998

Re: Advice on lubricant leak from front wheel

Post by kenbuk »

Thanks Mud Dog. Will discuss with the workshop today.

Return to “Meet the People”