Hello all

Introduce yourself and Meet the rest of the crowd
gmgdnj
Town: Montichiari
Vehicle: 1989 Toyota Hilux

Hello all

Post by gmgdnj »

Hey all how's it going. My name is Gregg, I from the US but live in Italy. Picked an 89 HiLux last year for my son, first vehicle. When it's running it's great. Kind of slow, not much power, but he is new to driving so I don't mind. This little thing tho keeps having a starting problem. Oh well that's for another thread.

Great to be here and hope to find out some cool things to do to this truck, or at least be able to maintain it.

L8s

Gregg
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Hello all

Post by Mud Dog »

Welcome aboard Gregg! :thumbup:
The old Hilux pick-ups were notoriously slow but their toughness and reliability is legendary. Post some more details (what motor - petrol or diesel) and some pics that might assist us in diagnosing the starting problem. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Froll
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vioolsdrift
Vehicle: 2010 4.0 V6 Fortuner 4x4
Club VHF Licence: N/A

Post by Froll »

Welcome Gregg, hope you enjoy it here on the forum. Post some pics. :thumbup: :thumbup:
lynx
Town: Norfolk
Vehicle: Toyotas

Post by lynx »

Hello! :cooldude:
De Wet
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: centurion
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D4D

Post by De Wet »

Welcome Gregg,you came to right Forum.The Guys on this forum knows and Loves their Hilux Trucks.Any ? Will be answered.Hope u enjoy it here!!
FIRSTGEER
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Howdy and welcome Gregg.Post some pictures of your hilux to share with us.You will see that the Hilux has a great following here in sunny South Africa.
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Welcome to the forum...
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
mcw
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: krugersdorp
Vehicle: Prado 90 V6 3.4 Auto
Club VHF Licence: X100

Post by mcw »

Hullo

welcome to forum ,great vehicle to have as a first one ,problem is he will never want anything else

Martin
4x4BEES
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0V6

Post by 4x4BEES »

Welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy it here :thumbup: :thumbup:
Baasvark
Town: Virginia
Vehicle: '97 D/C with all the trimmings & 2011 Troopy

Post by Baasvark »

Welcome!

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk
Aint it ironic that "Common Sense" aint so common after all...
gmgdnj

Post by gmgdnj »

Hey thanks for the welcomes. Martin: that's for sure, he doesn't want to give it up. His girlfriend is pregnant and this truck is a 2 seater....

It's diesel, LN110 series. The starting problem is intermittent. Battery has been replaced (not related), starter replaced, power and ground cables replaced. Tonight I'm going to bypass the relay to see if that works. I took apart the relay yesterday and noticed some serious scorching. If this doesn't work, then I'll bypass the switch.

Basically what's happening is, I turn the key to on, wait till it's ready, then try to crank. I will here a loud low freq knock (from the relay) then a second click from the starter side once I release the key. Starter does not turn. I can't pinpoint a situation to say that it only happens after driving a certain way, or the temperature, nothing. I could run out start the truck to leave, then turn it off cause I forgot something, come back out and nothing, need to push start it.

Oh yeah, push starting works all the time. Also, sometimes and I only do this cause I have read it somewhere else, if it doesn't start, to turn the key on-off-on-off ( not all the way off just the release from crank position) multiple times. Sometimes this works. But I am nervous that may cause another problem.

Ok so there it is. Maybe should have made a new thread? Lol

I will post some pics when I log in from PCI not letting me from the phone.

Thanks guys.

Gregg
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Your problem is usually the contacts inside the starter motor (at the rear of the motor) but since you have replaced the stater it will more likely be the starter solenoid itself. Was that a new or used starter that you replaced the old one with? :think:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
gmgdnj

Post by gmgdnj »

Thanks for the reply mud dog. It was new. Bought and installed it in November, 260euro.

Return to “Meet the People”