Rear diff strip

Introduce yourself and Meet the rest of the crowd
meob
Town: Upington
Vehicle: Hilux

Rear diff strip

Post by meob »

Hi I am new to this forum.
I have a build up hilux with hilux single cap body but KZte double cab 4x4 undercarriage.
the engine is a chev 383 stroker v8.
I went on a namib desert dune drive trip and on the first day stripped the crown wheel and the pinion.
the load was heavy and I think the main reason for strip. I had to complete the trip with only front wheel drive and was a huge challenge, but with the help of the guide I made it through to Walvisbay.
the ratio is 3.27. 41 and 11 teeth gears.
do you suggest I stay with ratio or do I change it and where can I find the replacement gears or diff.

thanks and see you guys soon in the Namib desert.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Rear diff strip

Post by Mud Dog »

Hi Gert and welcome! :thumbup:

I'm open to correction, but that sounds like it's the KZ (diesel) diff ratio. Diesels have plenty torque but not the rev range of a petrol motor, which is why they use the longer ratio, but the V8 should have enough guts and is also not a high revving motor, so I would leave it as is - also, it will give you longer legs on the open road. The only downfall is that the diff will strain a little more and as you say, the heavy load along with the V8 power is more than likely the cause for having stripped it. Another reason why I would keep the same ratio is that if you change the back, you also have to change the front and that can become a pricey exercise without really gaining much. If it were a competition vehicle, then yes, it would be justified, but not for an overlander.

You might be able to get a second hand or reconditioned unit, just visit your local diff / gearbox centre. You could even try scrapyards, but there's no guarantee and you never really know the condition of the unit, so this should be a last resort for reliability on long distance travelling.

Hope you get sorted. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
meob

Post by meob »

thanks mud dog. i will rather then repair with toyota parts. they gave me a quote and not that bad.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Best option! :thumbup:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
louis fourie
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2003 Hilux Raider Facelift D/C 3.0 KZTE
Club VHF Licence: X101

Re: RE: Re: Rear diff strip

Post by louis fourie »

meob wrote:thanks mud dog. i will rather then repair with toyota parts. they gave me a quote and not that bad.
Hallo Gert en welkom

Wat het Toyota jou ge-quote?
meob

Post by meob »

ek koop parte by toyota vir so R7500 en dan beteel ek werktuigkundige nog n R1000 werk te doen

Return to “Meet the People”