New Member Introduction + Trip To Kenya

Introduce yourself and Meet the rest of the crowd
ERJ
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 3L Hilux 4x4 Xtra cab

New Member Introduction + Trip To Kenya

Post by ERJ »

Hey All, thank you for adding me to the pool.

I just (Thursday) picked up my new (new to me, 2013) 3L Hilux Xtra cab 4x4 with 100 000km on the clock.
So finally after many years of drooling I am now officially a Toyota owner.

I live in Stellenbosch and work for a Port &Coastal Engineering firm. We specialize in all structural engineering work within the marine (salt water) environment.
I currently have a project up in Mombasa Kenya and plan to drive up with my “new” Hilux. I will be working on rotation (6 weeks on, 2 weeks off) and during my 2 weeks off my wife will fly up and join me for a little 4x4 site seeing adventures.

My current ETD from home (RSA) is 15th of Aug. So I do not have a lot of time left, yet I have many questions.
So as the rookie here, I sincerely apologize for just barging in, but I need some advice on the following:

In order of priority (in my opinion), that I still need to procure before the trip:
1. Aluminium Canopy for the xtra cab
I have shopped around I found the Alu-Cab to my liking.
Any other recommendations?
Cape Town area only

2. Rooftop tent
I’m looking for a second hand TENTCO
Any other brands that you would recommend ?

3. Extra fuel tank
I have a quote for a 65L tank @ R6600, or a 70L @ R5150.
If possible, I want to keep the spare wheel in place and rather install behind the existing fuel tank, but whatever works best?
Client will be paying for my fuel while on site, so when I leave site every 8 weeks I plan to fill her up, properly!

4. GPS
The on board Toyota Satnav? Price? Is this really worth it?
I was thinking to just buy the entry level TomTom or Garmin.

5. National Luna fridge 50L Twin Tub
Most probably plan on buying new.
Recommended retailer?

6. Duel battery system (to power fridge only)
OK, so I have shopped around and my plan is the following.
Buy an additional Battery from Midas for R 1600.
Buy the DIY Kit for +-R 2250. This is the standard entry level solenoid system.
DIY my own battery bracket (or buy one from Safari Centre for R500).

7. Race chip for the 3.0L D 4D
Will this be more fuel efficient?
What brands do I need to look into.

8. Spare wheel
I already have the one spare wheel, is another one really a necessity ?
What about rather taking with an inner tube and to do a temporary side wall repair if need be?

9. Recovery equipment
Other than a shovel, long tow rope + D-shackles, air pump, voltmeter, tire repair kit, standard jack and some tools.
What am I missing?
Attachments
20160702_103227.jpg
FIRSTGEER
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Re: New Member Introduction + Trip To Kenya

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Howzit and welcome to the forum Ruben.Great set of wheels you have there.I suggest a few extra items such as a high lift jack and a decent air compressor and if possible,I would really consider fitting an extra spare wheel on the vehicle.
I know I will possibly be shot down for my next suggestion,I would rather leave the chip out and keep the hilux standard as I doubt whether a competent technician would be readily found in Kenya.

Good luck with your project and I wish you many miles of safe travelling and kindly share some the moments and pictures with us on the forum.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Welcome aboard, Ruben! :thumbup:

• A good canopy with RTT and possibly a roof rack for some extra goodies that you might like to take along on your excursions. Not entirely necessary with just two of you and with the extra-cab, your load bin is at least a fair size. However you might want to fit a solar panel to charge the 2nd battery when the vehicle is standing, and a RR would be needed to mount it.

• Tentco is good enough, otherwise EeziAwn but they're more pricey.

• Extra tank is a must. Not sure of what it looks like under your vehicle but instead of under the spare wheel you could do a side-by-side and re-route the exhaust or perhaps even add on to the existing tank as I have done here viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15977&p=487342" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; You can always carry an extra jerry can or two.

• Just get a Garmin. You can use it in your other vehicles and even on hiking trails.

• A 50 lit spilt unit is not going to give you a lot of space, will be good for weekend trips - much longer than that you're going to take strain. Most often you can get the odd supply here and there along the way, but at other times not. Even a 65lit - that extra 15 lit will help.

• Shop around for the 2nd battery, You can get a 105Ah for better than that. Try 4x4Direct, they carry Dixon batteries and while you're at it get a Cole Hersee solenoid and some wiring from them as well - you will save a sizeable packet! Wire that solenoid with a cut out switch in the cab. Look at why and how I did it here viewtopic.php?f=14&t=24935&p=464639" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and here viewtopic.php?f=41&t=41340&p=486259" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Everything you need you can get at 4x4Direct at prices that are more than competitive.

• A second spare is almost an essential, but the very least is as you say to carry some gators and spare tubes. The "snot plug" repair kits are also handy for the smaller punctures like from nails or even thorns.

• Like Tony says, a High-Lift jack is almost a must. It's a dangerous piece of equipment if not used correctly, but it's extremely versatile, you can even winch with it. Jack points on the front, back and sides (on the rock-sliders that you should still fit - those OEM side bars are normally inadequate), would be required. As Tony also said, a small compressor that you can keep behind the back seat is a must. Have decent recovery points fitted to the chassis front and back - it's not worth the risk of trying to recover off the OEM rear bumper / tow-hitch or OEM tow hook in front. The forces with off-road recoveries can easily far exceed what these can handle. Sand tracks are useful and not too much extra weight, for space saving mount them under the rock-sliders (that you still have to fit).
You can really go overboard quite easily with recovery equipment, but extra weight is always the big factor. You need to weigh up your options carefully, but with a HL jack, spade, decent tow rope / bow shackles and tracks you can get yourself out of almost any sticky situation. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Stekel01
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: 3D4D Fortuner
Club VHF Licence: HC241

Post by Stekel01 »

Do you get a inner tube for that size of tyre? Everyone said to me the max tube size is 14inch

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Froll
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vioolsdrift
Vehicle: 2010 4.0 V6 Fortuner 4x4
Club VHF Licence: N/A

Post by Froll »

Welcome Ruben. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Stekel01 wrote:Do you get a inner tube for that size of tyre? Everyone said to me the max tube size is 14inch

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Yes, still available.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
ERJ

Post by ERJ »

Thank you all for the warm welcome and advice, much appreciated (Mud Dog and Firstgeer)!
I will regroup my thoughts and then update you guys on a later stage (in a new post)

Groete
lize.w@iafrica.com
Town: Boshof
Vehicle: Hi lux/Cruiser/RAV
Club VHF Licence: N/A

Chip etc suggestions

Post by lize.w@iafrica.com »

Welcome Ruben, I would consider no chips to keep it simple and standard. A fuel tank in the place of spare wheel area can spring a leak when rear wheels fall in ditch or hole. Your high lift jack can act as puller or you just get a standerd hand operated ratchet puller. I used that even getting vechile back on wheels. Its cheap and slow but how many times are you going to need it. Take spare filters etc and just drive softly. The rest has been said and sure you are going to enjoy it. Groete, Gerrit.
ERJ

Post by ERJ »

Dankie Gerrit, dis n goeie voorstel! Ek skryf op my To-Do / To-Buy lys.

Return to “Meet the People”