New member, still looking for first Hilux

Introduce yourself and Meet the rest of the crowd
hugmin42
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 2003 Hilux 3.0 KZ-TE

New member, still looking for first Hilux

Post by hugmin42 »

Hi all

My wife and I are planning a trip as far up as Ethiopia. After much research we have decided that a Hilux is the only real option, specifically a model between 1998 and 2005 (preferably a KZ-TE).

I suspect this forum will be very helpful in our decision process and then we would also like to share our journey with you.
TertiusK
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Oudtshoorn
Vehicle: 1990 Hilux 2.4D 4x4 DC Full MIKEM Suspension front and back + 2007 Kia Sportage 2.0 CRDI 4WD

Re: New member, still looking for first Hilux

Post by TertiusK »

Hi Hugo.

Sterkte met jou soektog, gelukkig is hier manne met baie kennis op die forum. Daar is niks waarmee hulle nie kan en sal help nie.

Groete
Froll
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vioolsdrift
Vehicle: 2010 4.0 V6 Fortuner 4x4
Club VHF Licence: N/A

Post by Froll »

Welcome Hugo, you will get more replies in the week. Hope you enjoy it here on the forum. :thumbup: :thumbup:
hugmin42

Post by hugmin42 »

Dankie Tertius and Froll

Where on the forum is the best place to post a link to a gumtree ad to get some comments on whether members think it is a good buy or not? Just as an initial filter for whether the price seems reasonable, etc.
FIRSTGEER
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Howzit and welcome Hugo.I'm sure you will get all the help possible here on the forum.Be patient and the right Toyota will crop up.Happy hunting
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Hi and welcome Hugo! :thumbup:

Post the link right here, or otherwise in the "Wanted" section but you would have to start a new thread there. Hope you find your Hilux soon. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
hugmin42

Post by hugmin42 »

Thanks guys.

Here's the Hilux I had a look at today. Took it for a short test drive as well. It seemed very well maintained with a few nice additions like the aluminium canopy, etc. Aircon still working, almost brand new set of tyres.

https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-cars-bakkie ... 0062700109" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My gut tells me the guy is not trying to hide anything and took good care of it. He is reluctant to sell his baby, but since he is emigrating he doesn't have much of a choice.

I've negotiated the price down to R160 000, which I think might still be too high? What are your opinions?
ROOFER
Town: grassy park cape town
Vehicle: 99 s/c hilux 4x4 2.7i long range tank & dual battery; 2003 nissan x-TRAIL (4X4)

Post by ROOFER »

hi Hugo welcome !!
don't be in a hurry to buy look around !!
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

It looks clean, maintained and in good nick but his price is a bit too high. He is trying to recover the costs of his extras which just doesn't happen when selling - (nice extras by the way). I think a fair price would be in the region of 145k.
Don't forget about the head replacement cost that you might encounter down the line and here I have to say a lot depends on how hard the motor has been driven / how hard it has worked (heavy loads and towing etc.).

The economy is also slow and depressed right now, so I would give him a firm offer of 150k and wait. If it doesn't happen for you this time, there will be others.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Agteros
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota FJ Cruiser

Post by Agteros »

My opinion on this is slightly different.

If the vehicle is as well kept and serviced as indicated you may have to wait for a long time for a similar one to pass by. What will you have to pay then for one which say have no extras? R 105000?

You want to travel Africa so you actually need the extras? If you have to put them on yourself you are going to end up paying in any case R165000?

Yes, I think offer him R 150000.

I think you can pay a premium for a well looked after clean vehicle compared to a "normally (ab)used" one ;-)
2020 FJ Cruiser
1986 Hilux DC 4x4. Sold to the Boss :cooldude:
Agteros
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: Toyota FJ Cruiser

Post by Agteros »

I have only looked the pics of the bakkie now. Why is it hanging so heavily to the left? You can see it clearly on two of the pics - one taken from the rear and one taken from the front?

Maybe the mounted spare carrier? :D:
2020 FJ Cruiser
1986 Hilux DC 4x4. Sold to the Boss :cooldude:
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

R160K is a bit rough, but I also agree with Hugo.. to add them on yourself will cost more than R60k and then you sit with the risk of not recovering the money spent

Good Kz's should fetch about R120k easy in standard form IMO; add R20k for suspension, R12k for the bumper and a modest R20k for the canopy these 3 items alone are R52k on top of R120k...

So @ R170k he wants R110k for the vehicle and R60k for extras that are conservatively speaking +- R90k brand new...not that bad really
hugmin42

Post by hugmin42 »

Thanks for all the advice guys. I ended up buying it for R150 000. Took it to Francois at 4xLux for a service and everything seems tip-top. Just want to mention, excellent service from Francois.
Hilux.jpg
Already bought the Waeco fridge/freezer that was listed on the Bargain Alert forum. Now just a few more items before setting off.

EGT? Tyre pressure monitor? GPS with Tracks4Africa...
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

hugmin42 wrote:Thanks for all the advice guys. I ended up buying it for R150 000. Took it to Francois at 4xLux for a service and everything seems tip-top.
Very fair price with the extras. :thumbup:

Dadz Toy
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 95 Series Prado - Diesel Dog
Club VHF Licence: HC 286

Post by Dadz Toy »

Congrats!!
I hope you don't encounter the head problems I've had with my 1kz-te powered Pradog.

Cheers!

Rich :cooldude:
Rich :cooldude:

Return to “Meet the People”