Problems with Hilux Vigo

Introduce yourself and Meet the rest of the crowd
theresa
Town: Port of Spain
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Vigo

Problems with Hilux Vigo

Post by theresa »

Hi Members,

I am new to this Forum and I am seeking help. My family purchase a new Hilux Vigo a year ago and have been having problems. The dealer changed the Turbo thus far but the problem is still there. Here is the problem, white smoke comes from the exhaust when you accelerate and them come to a stop e.g at a traffic light. In addition to this there is a black water like substance runs out when the vehicle is parked. If the substance is left on the tiled area, it becomes gummy the next day. The vehicle is not burning oil and performs well. The dealer is trying to tell us that there is nothing wrong but we find it very difficult to accept. Member suggestions and advice will be appreciated. We live in the Caribbean.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Re: Problems with Hilux Vigo

Post by pietpetoors »

Welcome to the forum Theresa
Does it use water?

Normally white smoke = engine oil burning.
If driving short distances the black water might be condensation and because the inside of the exhaust is black due to diesel fumes the water becomes black. But if you drove a far distance and water is still coming out from the back it is not normal.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
theresa

Post by theresa »

pietpetoors wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:35 pm Welcome to the forum Theresa
Does it use water?

Normally white smoke = engine oil burning.
If driving short distances the black water might be condensation and because the inside of the exhaust is black due to diesel fumes the water becomes black. But if you drove a far distance and water is still coming out from the back it is not normal.
Thank you for responding. We have been monitoring that and it does not need water.
GRWLR ZN
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Richards Bay
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux - Lexus V8

Post by GRWLR ZN »

Good day Theresa,
Welcome to the forum.

I assume that this is a new vehicle? All new vehichle's exhaust systems are fitted with catalytic converters.
The function of these are to convert the harmful exhaust gasses into water vapour and less harmful gasses.
Like Pieter said, if you travel mostly short distances it is normal to have some water present, but even with a catalytic converter fitted it should go awayif you travel longer distances.

Massive puffs, or a constant column of white smoke could point to a more serious problem. Oil burns white,however it will have a blue-ish to grey-ish tinge to it and will smell quite bad.

A bit of "steam-ish" white smoke is not to worry about.

Very hot and humid weather conditions can also contribute water vapour build up in the exhaust, especially when the vehicle is parked overnight.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Welcome Theresa! :thumbup:

I'm not a diesel head, but if it's water it can only come from four places - window washer, air conditioner condensation, leaking coolant or condensation from the exhaust due to ambient moisture over night or due to leaking coolant passing through the motor. From what you describe as it bring "gummy", neither of those possibilities seem likely unless it's coming from the cat and I'm wondering if it's not possibly diesel fuel related. :think:

Where in relation to the vehicle dies this discharge occur? Engine area? Centre or rear of the vehicle? Have you checked from underneath to see where it's coming from?

What is the mileage on the vehicle? Black smoke is normally from excessive fuel and white smoke is from oil - it could well be that there is a turbo problem again or even a problem with the valve stem seals. You say it's not burning oil, but how often do you need to top it up?
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
theresa

Post by theresa »

GRWLR ZN wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:42 pm Good day Theresa,
Welcome to the forum.

I assume that this is a new vehicle? All new vehichle's exhaust systems are fitted with catalytic converters.
The function of these are to convert the harmful exhaust gasses into water vapour and less harmful gasses.
Like Pieter said, if you travel mostly short distances it is normal to have some water present, but even with a catalytic converter fitted it should go awayif you travel longer distances.

Massive puffs, or a constant column of white smoke could point to a more serious problem. Oil burns white,however it will have a blue-ish to grey-ish tinge to it and will smell quite bad.

A bit of "steam-ish" white smoke is not to worry about.

Very hot and humid weather conditions can also contribute water vapour build up in the exhaust, especially when the vehicle is parked overnight.

Thank you for your response. To answer your question, it is a new vehicle. The present mileage is 16,000 km and the problems has been there from the start. The vehicle smokes constantly when it is under load like going uphill, no loss of power, no overheating, never had to top up oil.
theresa

Post by theresa »

Mud Dog wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:48 pm Welcome Theresa! :thumbup:

I'm not a diesel head, but if it's water it can only come from four places - window washer, air conditioner condensation, leaking coolant or condensation from the exhaust due to ambient moisture over night or due to leaking coolant passing through the motor. From what you describe as it bring "gummy", neither of those possibilities seem likely unless it's coming from the cat and I'm wondering if it's not possibly diesel fuel related. :think:

Where in relation to the vehicle dies this discharge occur? Engine area? Centre or rear of the vehicle? Have you checked from underneath to see where it's coming from?

What is the mileage on the vehicle? Black smoke is normally from excessive fuel and white smoke is from oil - it could well be that there is a turbo problem again or even a problem with the valve stem seals. You say it's not burning oil, but how often do you need to top it up?
theresa

Post by theresa »

Mud Dog wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:48 pm Welcome Theresa! :thumbup:

Thank you for you response. The discharge comes from the exhaust. The vehicle's mileage is 16,000 km and the problem has been there from the start. We never had to top up with oil. Today I had to go to a client who lives on a hill and the vehicle smoked all the way up, no loss of power, no over heating.
GRWLR ZN
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by GRWLR ZN »

Do you fill up at the same filling station every time?
Have you ever had to run with the fuel tank very low for a while?
Obelix and Dogmatix
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: ROODEPOORT
Vehicle: HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix, donated to some clown, HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix II Onca front and rear Amade extreme Suspension and under water breathing apparatus

Post by Obelix and Dogmatix »

Okay, shot in the dark but is the diesel pump properly calibrated? if it is over fuelling it could also cause a lot of smoke. may be worth a check.

And good Luck
Rules are there to make you think before you break them!!!
God made man before
woman so as to give him time
to think of an answer
for her first question
COMMON SENCE IS NOT A GIFT, IT IS A PUNISHMENT!! BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO DEAL WITH EVERYONE WHO DOES NOT HAVE IT!!!
Mars
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

I think the water out the exhaust is due to condensation. If it does not use any oil at all then it is a diesel fuelling issue in all likelihood.
theresa

Post by theresa »

Obelix and Dogmatix wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:47 am Okay, shot in the dark but is the diesel pump properly calibrated? if it is over fuelling it could also cause a lot of smoke. may be worth a check.

And good Luck
Thanks, I will have the calibration of the fuel pump checked. If the calibration is out, will the smoke be white?
GRWLR ZN
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by GRWLR ZN »

theresa wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:44 pm
Obelix and Dogmatix wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:47 am Okay, shot in the dark but is the diesel pump properly calibrated? if it is over fuelling it could also cause a lot of smoke. may be worth a check.

And good Luck
Thanks, I will have the calibration of the fuel pump checked. If the calibration is out, will the smoke be white?
No, overfueling will cause black smoke. It is highly unlikely that the calibration will be out after 16000kms.
The only time that there would be any "white smoke" from fuel is when there is compression without combustion.That is then the diesel/petrol vapour coming from the exhaust, but your vehicle runs fine.
Is it A LOT of smoke or steam, or wisps and twisps?

Another shot in the dark could be water in the fuel itself, but you say engine performance is fine. None-the-less..
Check the diesel water seperator and drain it. To be entirely certain that there is no water in the diesel, drain out about 500ml into a coke bottle or similar, seal it and let stand over night. if there is water present the next day, have all the fuel drained and use a different filling station.

If there is no water present in the diesel at all and there is no other signs of other fluid use, perhaps have the dealer double check the catalytic converter. A by product of its function is water vapour, maybe it is over catalysing. It is possible that there might be an additive to the fuel there that is causing the over reaction, if that is the problem.
GRWLR ZN
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by GRWLR ZN »

Let me just be clear, when i say drain out a bit of fuel, it must be from the fuel tank and not the filter or water seperator.
theresa

Post by theresa »

GRWLR ZN wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:40 pm Let me just be clear, when i say drain out a bit of fuel, it must be from the fuel tank and not the filter or water seperator.
Thanks for all the information and advice. I will have all these things checked out over the weekend and I will get back to you with the findings.
theresa

Post by theresa »

Hi guys,

Thanks to all who participated in the discussions concerning my Hilux Vigo and the smoking problem. You were all very helpful. Obelix and dogmatix suggested that I check the calibration of the fuel pump. Well the dealer calibrated the fuel pump and the injectors and the problem is gone. They were not taking me seriously until I made a video showing the vehicle going up a hill and that did it. The vehicle is at 17,000 KM so I do not know whether the dealer received it like that or whether someone tampered with it. Thanks again to all. :celebrate:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Happy to hear that it's sorted now. Happy motoring. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Mars
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

Glad you have it sorted. Thank you for the feedback

Return to “Meet the People”