Introduce yourself and Meet the rest of the crowd
demond1
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: Fortuner V6 4.0 4x4 2007

New owner of Hilux 2.5 SRX D4D 4x4

Post by demond1 »

Hi. I am the new owner of a Hilux. Looking forward to the upcoming adventures.

One small problem I have with the vehicle. After about 5 - 10 minutes of driving in 4x2 mode, the 4x4 engage light (green light with 4 wheels)comes on (flashes). It drives me insane because after a while it looks like an indicator. If anyone has had any experience with that I would appreciate some advice on how to fix it.
pieta.swanepoel
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2017 Toyota Hilux 2.4 GD-6 SR 4x4 SC

Re: New owner of Hilux 2.5 SRX D4D 4x4

Post by pieta.swanepoel »

That light should come on when you engage 4x4. Shifting from 2H to 4H. Possible that it can be the switch that is suspect? Not sure where it is located though.
(Corrected my previous mistake)
Last edited by pieta.swanepoel on Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Groot berge en lang grondpaaie
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

I think you meant 2H to 4H Pieta.

It flickers if you select 4x4 but there is a problem engaging. As you are in 4x2 there should be a "problem" engaging 4x4 as you did not actually select 4x4. i.e. the 4x4 controller is thinking that it should be going into 4x4 but it is not thus giving the flickering signal. I also suspect a sensor on the gearbox/transfer case. I would check all the wires leading to the different switches on the gearbox. If memory serves there are three going to the gearbox.

Does it engage 4x4 when you select it and does the light then stay on?
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Welcome Dean! :thumbup:

The flashing light indicates that 4x4 has been selected but has not engaged. By default your model will only permit engagement when in low range so something sounds a little odd here. Is the 4x4 switch on?

Have you tried it in L4 on a soft surface like grass, gravel or sand to see if the ADD on the front diff kicks in? (The light will stop flashing and light continuously.) If it does, then switch off the 4x4 mode and drive in a straight line for a metre or two, otherwise rock the vehicle backwards and forwards to see if the light goes off. Then go back to H2 and see if the light comes back on.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Mars

Post by Mars »

Andy
Are you not confusing 4x4 selection with diff-lock selection? Then again perhaps Dean also is?

The diff-lock will only engage in 4L if the bakkie is unmodified. In 2H and 4H the difflock light will flash if you have pressed the diff-lock button but will not engage.
FIRSTGEER
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Howzit and welcome to the forum Dean.I also drive the same vehicle as you do and have modified it into a dedicated campervan.
I have experienced the exact same problem with my hilux and after chatting to Dylan (AM RACING) on the forum ,he advised me to check the actuator on the front diff.

I stripped mine and serviced the the contacts and electric motor within the actuator,reassembled and the problem was solved.
PM me should you require further advice on how to go about this service.
Good luck
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Welcome to the forum...
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
demond1
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by demond1 »

Mars wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:37 am I think you meant 2H to 4H Pieta.

It flickers if you select 4x4 but there is a problem engaging. As you are in 4x2 there should be a "problem" engaging 4x4 as you did not actually select 4x4. i.e. the 4x4 controller is thinking that it should be going into 4x4 but it is not thus giving the flickering signal. I also suspect a sensor on the gearbox/transfer case. I would check all the wires leading to the different switches on the gearbox. If memory serves there are three going to the gearbox.

Does it engage 4x4 when you select it and does the light then stay on?
Hi Mars

That is exactly what I think the problem is. I will check the wires out and see if I can see anything wrong there.

It does engage 4x4 perfectly. Also, the rear diff lock works normally.
demond1
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by demond1 »

Mars wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:30 am Andy
Are you not confusing 4x4 selection with diff-lock selection? Then again perhaps Dean also is?

The diff-lock will only engage in 4L if the bakkie is unmodified. In 2H and 4H the difflock light will flash if you have pressed the diff-lock button but will not engage.
Definitely not confusing 4x4 with diff lock
demond1
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by demond1 »

FIRSTGEER wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:25 pm Howzit and welcome to the forum Dean.I also drive the same vehicle as you do and have modified it into a dedicated campervan.
I have experienced the exact same problem with my hilux and after chatting to Dylan (AM RACING) on the forum ,he advised me to check the actuator on the front diff.

I stripped mine and serviced the the contacts and electric motor within the actuator,reassembled and the problem was solved.
PM me should you require further advice on how to go about this service.
Good luck
Excellent, thank you so much!
FIRSTGEER
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.

Post by FIRSTGEER »

The actuator on the front diff has a set of contacts inside and a minute electric motor which turns a small gear which in turn moves the actuator arm back and forth.
This motor ha contacts similar to a wiper motor and thus stops moving in either selected position .Because of the faulty contacts.the gear stopped at the incorrect position and this caused the light to flash as it was neither engaged or disengaged completely.The signal to the green 4wd light is sent from these contacts.

I hope you come right and good luck.
demond1
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by demond1 »

So after a week of having the vehicle, the problem has disappeared.

The previous owner said that he had the problem for some time. After giving it some thought, I actually think that the vehicle has not had 4x4 mode engaged for years. After a week of having it, I have engaged it plenty and the problem is gone.

Will still have a look at the actuator though.
Mars

Post by Mars »

According to the Toyota Hilux Driver manual you should engage 4x4 on a monthly basis and drive for a specific distance. 9kms if I remember correctly. What probably happened is that the contacts with moving more now are making better contact. I hope it stays sorted.
FIRSTGEER

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Glad you came right there Dean.

Return to “Meet the People”