Introduce yourself and Meet the rest of the crowd
raztec
Town: Victoria
Vehicle: subaru

hello and questions

Post by raztec »

Hi

New to forum here.

I live in Canada and looking to purchase a 2002 Hilux Japan import with the 1KD engine. This one here: https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/ctd ... 46063.html

I don't know anything about this particular year or engine and was wondering if people can tell me what to look for when purchasing and what questions to ask.

Many thanks,
Raz
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: hello and questions

Post by Mud Dog »

Welcome Amir ! :thumbup:

The pics of the vehicle look good, looks in fair condition and the 1 year transmission warrantee is a bonus. Mileage is still fairly low for a 2002 model so that's also a plus, as is the assurance that the timing belt has already been done.

The engine is an old diesel that pre-dates the KZ motor and I'm somewhat surprised to see it in a model as late as 2002. However, they were tough and reliable motors but sluggish for a 3 litre - the turbo and intercooler will undoubtedly wake it up a bit.

One thing that might worry me a little is the availability of spares if this imported model or similar model was not available in your country. Mechanical spares shouldn't be a problem but the body panels and cosmetic trims might be.

Overall it looks like a good buy but if I were to compare pricing to our local market, I am inclined to think that the asking price is just a little high - maybe you can knock them down a bit.

Good luck! :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
coetzer94
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Pretoorsdorp
Vehicle: Silver Hilux DC 2.8 GD-6 2016

Post by coetzer94 »

Im a bit confused. Andy, you mention the engine to be old and under powered, but according to the add it has 170Hp, which is about 126 kW...so that puts it in the same league as the D4D. Considering that japan has (probably) better fuel quality, and the fact that they will most likely receive the latest tech first, i suspect that this may be a D4D engine?? It also states that the engine is the 1KD, which is the D4D model am I not correct? I dont mean to contradict you Andy. It would just be interesting to have clarity on which engine it is as there are some discrepancies.

If that is the case this will be a very good buy.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Working on my bucket list only makes it longer
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

OOps, my bad ... you're correct Vian, it is the D4D motor. I was actually thinking of the 5L motor for some reason (probably because of the year model in relation to our local market motors of the time) ..... this is what comes from posting in the early hours of the morning instead of sleeping. :laugh2:

So yes, it would be a good buy. :winkx:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
coetzer94
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Pretoorsdorp
Vehicle: Silver Hilux DC 2.8 GD-6 2016

Post by coetzer94 »

No worries, wish we had that motor in the KZ shape bakkies!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Working on my bucket list only makes it longer
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

Judging by the shape and layout it looks like the D4D engine. I'm just not sure if there were different derivatives of the 1KD as our vehicles have the 1KD FTV engine. It probably is as the predecessor is said to be the KZ engine. I see that it was already introduced in 2000. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_KD_engine

This is a bullet proof engine which is relatively powerful and light on diesel. If everything on it checks out then you cannot go wrong. Mine has done just over 300 000 kilometers and is still running great.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Think a Surf with 1KD engine must be a marvelous vehicle. Like Mars said it is realiable and economical engine and spares should be available since it is a very popular engine.
Wish we had those down here.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Tassiejames
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Hobart
Vehicle: Hilux kzn165 33" Muddies 1KZ-TE Locked front and rear ..

Post by Tassiejames »

what side of the road do you drive in Canada ?
Mars

Post by Mars »

They drive on the wrong side of the road which is the right side! :)
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Mars wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:28 am They drive on the wrong side of the road which is the right side! :)
:laugh2:

raztec

Post by raztec »

Tassiejames wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:44 am what side of the road do you drive in Canada ?
The right side. So it will be the "wrong" side for this vehicle.
Not as safe, but we have no alternatives.
Getting these in LHD is next to impossible.

Thanks for the info. I'll check it out next week.

R
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Oh man, this will be one brilliant truck!

Legendary IFS comfort and dependability xombined with the 1KD's power and economy....Toyota South Africa sure did miss some great opportunity here!

I'm sure you will make great memories un this truck!
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
raztec

Post by raztec »

I'm a little confused. Is this 1KD engine different than the D4D engine?
And if so, which is the more reliable? Is the D4D turbo charged?

What's the difference between those and the 1KZ-TE engine?
I've heard that engine is legendary for its reliability.

I'll be looking at another vehicle that's 5 years older and has the 1KZ-TE engine with a much more options. Is this a better deal than the original 2002 above with the 1KD engine? https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/bnc/cto ... 31110.html

Many thx again.
Raz
Mars

Post by Mars »

Sorry for the confusion. The Vehicle is known as the Hilux 3.0 D4D but the engine identification number is the 1KD-FTV which is the upgrade and the replacement of the 1KZ-TE engine. Both are turbo charged. The other surf would probably be the nicer vehicle although this one looks really nice too. Both engines are legendary wrt their reliability. The 1KZ-TE engines have a tendency to crack cylinder heads in the region of 400 000 ks but this is in a hot country like South Africa so I am not sure if you would get the same thing in Canada. The 1KD-FTV engine develops more power and torque than the KZ-TE and is more fuel efficient.
raztec

Post by raztec »

This is interesting...I just got word from a friend who's been a consultant for an insurance agency for many years here in Canada. He says that the Japanese Hilux are not built to the same standards as those for export. Apparently, they don't rust proof vehicles there and the steel used in the diesel engines are of much lower quality and they are prone to head gasket leaks or cracks. The rationale is that people in Japan rarely take their vehicles off road or keep them for more than 100,000km.

Has anyone heard the same thing about the domestic Japanese Hilux vs the export version?
JamesC
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Potchefstroom
Vehicle: SRX 2.5 4x4 D/C

Post by JamesC »

Yes, I have also heard that. Whether it is folk lore or fact, I cannot comment on.

The 1KZ engine is not legendary and I totally disagree with the statement that it is a good motor. Good for cracking its head perhaps, but not much else. Not Toyota's proudest moment...the 1KZ.

Stick to the D4D.
James Cameron

Return to “Meet the People”