Through Our Eyes- Good Idea/Bad Idea?

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
patrickr
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Durban
Vehicle: 1987 SC 2.2 Hilux 4x4, '86 D/C Hilux 4x4

Through Our Eyes- Good Idea/Bad Idea?

Post by patrickr »

Morning chaps,

I quick introduction here before I get too carried away. My name is Patrick Rimbault, hence the username of "patrickr". I am 18 years old, and finished off my schooling in Durban at the end of last year. I have been trying to run a home improvement company for the last year, but things have not been working out as well as I had planned. This has given me the opportunity to have another go at an idea I had a few years back. I did discuss it on the forum, but I can't seem to find it now.

The idea is for me (and possibly others) to do a long roadtrip through South Africa. There was a show on SABC 3 a few years back called "Going Nowhere Slowly". This was my weekly inspiration, and I watched it religiously. For those who didn't see it, it was basically 2 or 3 people (4 sometimes!) travelling around the country in an old red car. I loved it because they seemed to be so free. This was music to my ears in a time when everyone else around me making life decisions about varsity, and I wanted nothing of it.

Anyways, back to the present.

What is my plan/idea?

I am going to travel form my hometown, Durban, to as many other towns, big and small, as possible. My route will basically be the four furthermost points of the country. So that would be Kosi Bay (East), Messina (North), Alexander Bay (West) and Cape Agulhas (South). I will visit every single town on the way. Some I may even go out of my way to visit. The route is not set by any stretch of the imagination, so that leaves a lot of doors open. The core of this idea is really just a trip, but surrounding this nucleus are many electrons.

So, what are these electrons?

They are many things. Income streams, possible advertising for companies, a view of this country through a young persons eyes. Let me elaborate on that last point a bit. How many travel shows are seen from a young persons eyes? Close on none. That is a niche I would like to exploit, and let's face it , me and my buddies are the future of this country. So, surely the country as a whole would like to know what its future thinks of it? Maybe, I'm not sure. I guess thats why I am posting this here. I want to document everything I do. I will start a YouTube channel, and post biweekly videos of my experiences and discoveries. I plan on keeping a daily blog, writing about whatever it is that I choose. I could even take it as far a broadcasting, but that may involve too many complications. I will be looking for sponsorship of things like fuel, GPS, some photography/video equipment, etc.

So what do you chaps think? You have all been my age before (I hope), and can all look back with a great deal of experience.

Is this a path worth following? Would I be able to take from a dream into a reality? Most importantly, would anybody care about what I think?

Please do write anything and everything. I will not comment anymore, just answer questions. The floor is now open ;-)

Regards,
Patrick
Take nothing but photographs and leave nothing but footprints
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Re: Through Our Eyes- Good Idea/Bad Idea?

Post by ThysdJ »

Patrick, dude! If you manage to get your electrons in a row, take your nucleus and go for it! It sounds like a huge adventure and a lot of fun. Just remember to visit us when you get to CT!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Another idea is to get the local Hiluxers in each town involved, and do some fun stuff. :twisted:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
patrickr
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by patrickr »

Why do you think I posted here Thys? You guys have been great in helping me out in the past, so I figured it would happen again. This is a big forum, full of people I would really like to meet.

Another motive behind posting here is that there may be people that could help me with regard to finding sponsors. I am young, and I have very little money. I therefore would only be able to make this trip possible with some sponsors.

Just to give some ideas to anybody who may be of assistance, the biggest cost is going to be fuel. We all know how alcoholic our four wheeled friends are when they smell petrol, so this will obviously be a big expense for me. I do also need things like a camera/video camera if I am going to document it. I do have my "Ou Trokkie", so that is all sorted out.

Another concern is food and accommodation. I can camp, and eat tinned food for the whole trip but um :sick: ya. So anybody able to accommodate me for a few nights would be greatly appreciated. A note to anybody with a BnB, I would be more than happy to promote your establishment, so you could see it as some advertising/marketing.

Any sponsors would obviously be looking for some gain on their side. This would come from advertising, be it a sticker on my truck, a mention in my documentary or even a link on my future website.... Give it some thought guys :thumbup:
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Nice idea Patrick, go for it :thumbup:

Have you approached any local companies in your area or any of your mates?
Perhaps a good idea to list the requirements you will have like tents, food, music, batteries, first aid, fuel, and,and,and to a list and take it from there. Then some members may see an opportunity to see if they can contribute? Just a suggestion :thumbup:
patrickr
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by patrickr »

To be totally honest Mark, I have not had time to make a list! I only started to think about this seriously last night. I stayed awake most of the night my mind was so full of ideas. I am in the process of typing up a document that will outline everything. I will then start with contacting people that I think may be interested.

I posted this morning to bounce my idea off a few people- things may seem all rosey from my side, but on the other side I may seem totally blinded and silly.

But yes, watch this space for more info :)
Blaps
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Rustenburg
Vehicle: Hilux 4x4 Ford V6

Post by Blaps »

:thumbup: Yo Boeta, you're young with no serious attachments, responsibilities, go head first for it!!! All-out :yahoo: Full-blast forward :yahoo:
Yes your biggest challenge will be sponsors, this is where the real work comes in :acute: The harder you work at it the bigger the payoff :beg: :beg: :beg:
I'm sure a lot of forum members will accomodate you on your trip cause they are also flippen nice adventure loving people :yahoo:
Good Luck!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:
:bye:
Go, just go.... Somewhere.... Out There...
patrickr
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by patrickr »

Thanks alot Ben. Yeah, sponsors are really what is stopping me from putting clothes in a bag and leaving now. Well not really sponsors, rather money. If I had loads of it, I wouldn't need sponsors. Anyways, thanks for you encouraging post- see you got a bit too excited, and posted twice :razz: :razz:

Okay, I'm back, back with a list. These are the things I think I will NEED, not want, for this trip:

1) Fuel
2) Accommodation (be it at a B n B, in a reserve camping or just at somebodies house or farm(I would love to live on a farm for a bit on this trip ;-) ;-) )
3) Food and Drink. Hopefully this will go hand in hand with accommodation.

Then, there are the nice-to-haves:

1) A tough, waterproof canvas dome tent for those nights in the open, closed in the tent :D:
2) A GPS (handheld or for my laptop) so that I can firstly know where I am, and also so that I can let followers online know where I am
3) A mobile internet connection
4) A camera and video recorder so that I can let people know how I am, what I am doing and anything else.

I would very much like to make this a fairly public trip- letting the country/world know what it is I am doing. I think it would be a rather interesting experience to watch or read about.

Let me know if you can help me in any way with any of the above mentioned things.

Oh BTW I have started a blog. Please go and put a comment or two if you feel the need. Here's the link: http://through-our-eyes-patrick.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards,
Patrick
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Hi Patrick.
Great idea you have.
My opinion is that if you want to have sponsors you will need to have a more precise goal.
To give you an example.I once met 2 people that wanted to travel for a year and they joined a group that wanted to collect data on the health and nutrition of rural communities.I really cant remember the names. With making this there goal they where able to raise funds for there trip.So basically they had there tripped paid for and once a week they connected with communities and gathered some data and talked about nutrition.I think there could be quite a few opportunities.
Just look at old Kingsly H :wink2:
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

I don't think that there is anything wrong with your idea. Success will be determined by the research, effort and dedication that you put into it .... don't loose your entusiasm, It's this that is contagious to a would be sponsorship prospect, but know where you're going so that they can 'feel' it as well in your presentations. You're going to get turned down a lot, so be prepared and don't loose sight of your dream .... SWSWSW (Some Will, Some Won't, So What!).

Remember that many of the most successful businesses / companies / corporations started with a dream and a vision .... remember also that that you only fail at the point when you give up.

Best of luck! :thumbup: ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “Open Discussion”