THE BOSS NEEDS OUR HELP!!!!!

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
Scorpion
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Emmarentia
Vehicle: 1988 Hilux 4x4 D/C with more attitude than Mike Tyson

THE BOSS NEEDS OUR HELP!!!!!

Post by Scorpion »

So guys, I’ve decided to post this here as Pieter needs our help, but doesn’t want to ask for it. (Sorry for you, Pieter, but sometimes you need a few friends and many hands make light work :tongue: ). Okay so here’s the story:

As we all know Pieter is importing snorkels from China at about 40% of the price of the “branded” rip off’s. Now Safari has gotten wind of this and is threatening to sue the boss for “registered design infringement”. Now I put this in inverted commas because Safari actually does have registered designs, but those designs were only registered in the South African market in February 2010. The rules clearly state that if you want to register a design it must be 1. New and 2. not already available in the marketplace.

They have tried to intimidate companies all over the world that do the same thing as Pieter (even in their home country, Australia), and they have failed dismally when it eventually reached the courts (they even lost a case against Ironman whose snorkels come from the same factory as Pieter’s). As I understand they even tried to shut down the factory in China, but that attempt also left them with their tail between their legs. It seems like they are only trying scare tactics to protect their market share and force the consumers to spend their hard earned cash on their products (and of course you can name your price when there are no competitors :evil: ).

So, to now call on all the members here: Pieter needs our help (no, he doesn’t need money – yet! :twisted: ) to prove that snorkels were on the market long before August 2009. What we are asking you guys to do is to search for pictures in posts (or any literature that can be dated) and post the link here. Nothing more! Below are the pictures of the designs Safari alleges they registered. If Pieter can provide proof (with pictures) that these designs were on the market long before Safari alleges they registered the designs, their designs may probably be revoked and will open the market to affordable alternatives.

Forum links are very useful since they contain dates of the posts.
799.jpg
799.jpg (8.33 KiB) Viewed 17880 times
800.jpg
800.jpg (9.5 KiB) Viewed 17880 times
802.jpg
802.jpg (15.27 KiB) Viewed 17880 times
213-1.jpg
(12.04 KiB) Downloaded 11778 times
219.jpg
219.jpg (4.53 KiB) Viewed 17880 times
798.jpg
798.jpg (5.43 KiB) Viewed 17880 times
801.jpg
801.jpg (4.92 KiB) Viewed 17880 times

Now I don’t think that is too much to ask? Let’s give back a little to the man that gave us this great forum and fostered a love for our Hiluxes in a lot of us :thumbup: .
Attachments
1238.jpg
1238.jpg (7.37 KiB) Viewed 17880 times
1988 Hilex D/C 4x4 (Import spec), Lexus V8; Marlin Crawler; Custom Suspension: front and new 4 link in the rear; Disc Brake conversion rear; 35" Cooper STT tyres; Xenon lights; Custom bullbar;Next? Aircon; new front seats, redo the whole interior in nice soft leather, Respray, Double Lockers
1978 Land Cruiser HJ45
1971 Mercedes Benz 280S Automatic
2011 Land Cruiser 79 V6 (60th Anniversary Edition)
Scorpion
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Re: THE BOSS NEEDS OUR HELP!!!!!

Post by Scorpion »

Okay, so I'll start shall I? :twisted: I've found these 2 so far:

http://www.fjccentral.info/showpost.php ... ostcount=1 September 2007.
Also 2007: http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/ ... ost1941195[/quote]
1988 Hilex D/C 4x4 (Import spec), Lexus V8; Marlin Crawler; Custom Suspension: front and new 4 link in the rear; Disc Brake conversion rear; 35" Cooper STT tyres; Xenon lights; Custom bullbar;Next? Aircon; new front seats, redo the whole interior in nice soft leather, Respray, Double Lockers
1978 Land Cruiser HJ45
0000DS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Roodekrans
Vehicle: Tuna, 4X4, Longrange Fuel tank, BF's AT, Intergrated bumber, Roofrack, Awning, Air suspension,winch

Post by 0000DS »

Here are a few:

http://www.4x4community.co.za/photopost ... photo/2358" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - 14 April 2008

http://www.4x4community.co.za/photopost ... photo/5275" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - 26 Feb 2009

http://www.4x4community.co.za/photopost ... photo/5379" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - 12 March 2009

http://www.4x4community.co.za/photopost ... photo/4517" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - 14 NOV 2008 LR TD5
Hilux 1
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2011 Raider 4x4 Double cab 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC137

Post by Hilux 1 »

i do hope this will also help
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/t ... post168207
02-12-2008

http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com/tech_2 ... orkel.html

Tacoma snorkel - Feb 2008 - SA Design F2010/00802 and F2010/00799
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

Well it is a group buy isn'ts it? Okes put their names on a list and the order was placed. Who are they to say we can't buy elsewhere? What if Pieter is not making a profit... :?:
Klong se Pa
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: 1995 Isuzu KB280LE 4x4 d/c

Post by Klong se Pa »

Johann

So as ek jou reg verstaan: My KB300 Isuzu se Safari-snorkel is opgesit rondom Oktober 2007. Ek moet daai faktuur soek, dit scan, en dan hier post. Sal dit help?
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Pieter.... ek is seker ek het 'n paar fodies iewers wat ek geneem het tydens die 2007 en 2008 Reg Raid. Sal bietjie gaan soek
To God be the glory
NicoP
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Vehicle: Hilux 2.7, SFA conversion, 33" Maxxis, 4.5 inch lift

Post by NicoP »

Nou kan mens sien hoe die mark gemanipiluur word. Manne ek eis bly almal staan saam. Net jammer myne is eers Feb 2011 opgesit. Dammmmmm
Sal kyk wat ek kan doen van my kant af onder al my pelle
Maddoglips
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: P.E.
Vehicle: Raider 2.2 4x4; Mikem 50mm raised suspension, long range tank, Monroe gasses all round.

Post by Maddoglips »

I'll gladly try and help no probs, will start looking.

Just a point though, if they have already tried to close the factory and didn't succeed and Iron man can continue, Pieter just needs to use there case studies as evidence and get a letter from the manufacturer stating that he is only purchasing the items from them under a business logo/name.

As long as all permits and import licences are up to date along with any duties paid big TOFFY to them.

Pieter, did they have the designs in there data base, or did you supply design paterns, this is where things may become sticky, but if they had them and can prove there intent was before the patent/registration, I can't see any ligit leg to stand on.

PS. because of this, Pieter you let me know when the container arrives with the SFA snorkels and I'll then buy 1 and take off my Safari even if it means I have to replace the fender and respray it.

&^%&^$#%$%*&^&(*& Bastards
It's better to Burn Out then Fade Away.
Hilux 1
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: 2011 Raider 4x4 Double cab 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC137

Post by Hilux 1 »

if in need of a brilliant lawyer, please contact me (PM) as my Brother is a lawyer. :crazy: ain't it.
Just thought i'll drop that add in here. :dance1:
Bugzy
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Rustenburg
Vehicle: 2015 Hilux S/C 4X4 Dakar1996 2.8D s/c 4x4 Hilux with 3CT Toyota motor
Club VHF Licence: X56

Post by Bugzy »

Here is a link to a report tat Safari published with referance of the Africa market: http://www.dont-get-burnt.com/report.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Maddoglips
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: Raider 2.2 4x4; Mikem 50mm raised suspension, long range tank, Monroe gasses all round.

Post by Maddoglips »

Ok been doing some surfing, here's a link to 1 company that supplies and manufactures accessories for vehicles and 4x4's since 2002.

I will look further into it and see what else I can find, but there designs are extremely similar to these posted above, now please keep in mind I haven't read all the details yet just putting a pile together and then will look more into it.

http://jrautic.en.alibaba.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pieter, again best of luck and I'll keep looking and making a stink, it's bull that asshoiles like this can dictate and control a market.
Doctor V
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: Land Cruiser FJ62 3F

Post by Doctor V »

ek dink net mens begin maar net daai bliksemente se produkte te boikot. En vertel jou tjomme, en hulle tjomme. en elke ou wat jy by `n 4X4 dag ontmoet
'07 D4D Fortuner 4X4, OME with BF AT's
0000DS
Vehicle: Tuna, 4X4, Longrange Fuel tank, BF's AT, Intergrated bumber, Roofrack, Awning, Air suspension,winch

Post by 0000DS »

ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

I just had a CLOSE look at my Ironman snorkel - EXACTLY the same design as those in the pictures in the first post - apart from the "Ironman" imprint.

Clearly somebody copied somebodies designs .....

BUT, and this is a very important but, there are very clear guidelines for registering a design\trade mark. For starters it must be a new CONCEPT. The "concept" of a snorkel has been around for decades !

Did previous (early) snorkels have the ("A") design to prevent rain from entering the system - as the Safari one DO make claims on this .... ?

Note: If Safari can make a case that these imports are "knock off copies", then they can get customs to impound the next shipment ! :(

Best we get our ducks in a row.
legend35
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Hilux 2700i
Club VHF Licence: HC262

Post by legend35 »

http://www.4x4community.co.za/photopost ... photo/1105" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2004 Hilux 2700i 4x4 Legend 35
ImageImageImageImage
Cowley branch and freeflow,long range tank,dual battery system,home made front and rear bumpers.
legend35
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by legend35 »

http://www.4x4community.co.za/photopost ... photo/2241" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fortuner - March 2008
ImageImageImageImage
Cowley branch and freeflow,long range tank,dual battery system,home made front and rear bumpers.
Scorpion
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Scorpion »

ChrisF wrote: Note: If Safari can make a case that these imports are "knock off copies", then they can get customs to impound the next shipment ! :(

Best we get our ducks in a row.
I wouldn't worry too much about that. They will not be able to convince the authorities that Pieter's snorkels are "fakes', as it is not purporting to be a Safari product. It is purely another brand. Nope, Safari will have to fight this in court if they want to try and bully Pieter into submission! If they confiscate a shipment it will amount to theft.
Doctor V wrote:ek dink net mens begin maar net daai bliksemente se produkte te boikot. En vertel jou tjomme, en hulle tjomme. en elke ou wat jy by `n 4X4 dag ontmoet
Vir 'n feit! Ek soek self na 2 snorkels (nog steeds een vir my Hilex en een vir my nuwe bakkie) en sal beslis nie 'n Safari produk meer koop nie, hoewel hulle heel bo aan my lys was voor hulle met Pieter begin skoor soek het. :evil:
1978 Land Cruiser HJ45
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Pathfinder 2.5 LE AT
Club VHF Licence: X81

Post by Traveler »

I am scouring magazines, let's see, should find something there as well.

Safari will not get any support from me. :evil: I'll sommer boikot Safari Dried Fruit as well. :laugh2:

Know what you don't know.
Maddoglips
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Maddoglips »

Morning All

Gotta say this sucks, looking at Big Red this morning with the Safari Snorkel didn't have the same taste, although she looks good with it on, can't deny it.

Well abit of "Hear Say" for you all, now please note the words Hear Say.

Sounds like the SA side of Safari has the following outlook.

It's rumoured that they gave their clients who wanted to sell Chinese and Safari snorkels a big No and as a result, many of these places are no longer allowed to sell the Safari Snorkels.
This has also I believe, lead to some places been prevented from further buying from them.
I'm also lead to believe that some big outdoor group wanted to sell some of the chinese snorkels up until they were given the same Story from them.

Now if this is all true, isn't it a load of bull, how 1 place is able to manipulate the others, and in so taking away our freedom of choice. Maybe it's Safari's instructions to them, or maybe it's there own idea of how to do things.

Somethings just leave a bad taste no matter which way you look at it.
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

Think i'm going to grind my Safari logo off and cover the mark with a "hilux 4x4.co.za" sticker
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
Doctor V
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: Land Cruiser FJ62 3F

Post by Doctor V »

wouldn't the same then apply for tires? they look the same?

and what about cars - I'm sure some of those Chinese imports look like more well known brands

and the list goes on and on and on. methinks unless they prove that some part of that snorkel is unique and trademark registered they can forget about it! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
'07 D4D Fortuner 4X4, OME with BF AT's
arnize2
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Wellington
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4X4

Post by arnize2 »

The tactics that are described here is exactly how it is in the world of business today. I would not worry to much if I was Pieter. If it does not say "Safari" or any other trade mark that they registered, on the snorkel, they have no case. It is all a big BLUFF to try protect their market share. :thumbdown:
shakir
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Vehicle: Hilux 2.7

Post by shakir »

It is really not prosperous to use such bad tactics to protect your market share. Why can't they just fight their war with a price war like a good gentleman would do. But don't worry, businesses who use such tactics in the end feel the crunch as the wheel of life turns against them.
Phat Cat
arnize2
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by arnize2 »

You are correct in your comment, Shakir. The thing is they do not want to get involved in a price war. They are used to the BIG profits and hate the competition. Something of a Mafia tactic. The more we talk about it, the more people will become aware of it and then one can make your own decisions.
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

IF such a case get to court, Pieter should put a question to them: If the stop him from selling his product, will the pay him a monthly fee the same as what he was making of this product?

Furthermore, they might have patent rights on THEIR product but that does not apply to ALL snorkels. Get hold and use the detail of the Oz court case.

Bad business IMHO.
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
jan30
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: brackenfell
Vehicle: HILUX 2.8 D DC

Post by jan30 »

http://www.desertstormer4x4.co.za/landcruiser.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hierdie firma bestaan al van 1997
http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/sho ... ostcount=5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Sorento Sept 2008
http://www.nissan4x4.co.za/forum/forum_ ... PN=0&TPN=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.4x4community.co.za/classifie ... 17/cat/all" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Fortuner - Nov 2009
IF YOU EVER FEEL TO TIRED TO CONTINUE, JUST DO IT ON YOU KNEES
shakir
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by shakir »

I wonder who copied who, look at this one
Dated 1990/02/27 by Donaldson Filters

https://dynamic.donaldson.com/webc/WebS ... item=18377
Phat Cat
shakir
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by shakir »

No Piet, really, I think you must tell these guys to make your day and go to court. They will waste millions because you will win and they will have to cover your cost.

Look at the 4th picture our educated friend posted. Looks like the DiD Pajero.
OOOODS posted the link of that snorkel dated June 2005.
http://www.foro4x4.com/foro/index.php?P ... 69#msg9369
That looks like Safari's SS35HF
http://www.safarisnorkel.com/snorkel/ss35hf/ss35hf.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

When did we get those Pajero's, 2006? I cannot believe that Safari only started selling those snorkels in 2010.
The best way would be in court to summons their sole distributor to hand in his import documents (which he is obliged to keep for 5 years minimum) and see if he imported some of those models before Aug 2009.

Another point that will make this a brilliant case, I presume this is Piet's competition in Centurion, look at the post
http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/sho ... hp?t=50134" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This guy started selling, already imported, started selling his snorkels publicly on 10 January 2010 and Safari registered their first designs in Feb 2010. Does this tell you a story or not?

The snorkel head in the design pictures looks exactly as the heads on Ironman snorkels, so why is Ironman allowed to sell it in South Africa but not Piet? Is it because Safari already lost the case against Ironman? I browsed the Australian design register and so far I could not find that Safari registered that head design in their own country, why do they come and try and misuse our system in our country?

No my friend, snorkels are not the type of thing we put on our rides but I say tell them to see them in court and make sure your attorney stretches the case as long as he can. They don't have a chance. I hope you have the best and most expensive patent attorney in the country, if not, drop me an email and I will refer you to one.
Phat Cat
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

I like where this is going... I think Safari this time picked the wrong fight..... one for all and all for one
To God be the glory
Maddoglips
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Maddoglips »

CasKru wrote:I like where this is going... I think Safari this time picked the wrong fight..... one for all and all for one

Cassie, we all believe in fairness, I guess.

I'd love to meet the A Hole who instigated this and fit the CRAP snorkel I have on my van to certain parts of his body so every time he takes a dump, he soils on his own head :twisted:
Scorpion
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Scorpion »

Guys, Pieter has a very good attorney, so no worries there, but he needs to provide them with the material to fight this case :aggresive: . In my professional opinion, I also do not believe they have a case, but I posted this here because Pieter is taking strain to get as much info together as possible in the very truncated time periods that Safari has demanded. So please :beg: , keep these images, links, etc. coming - every little bit helps! But we need more, much more!

Thanks for everybody's help and support so far! :thumbup: I'm sure Pieter will pop in here at some time to thank everybody when he has a minute (even though he didn't want me to post this :twisted: )
1978 Land Cruiser HJ45
cheetah
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: 1994 Hilux d/c 2.2

Post by cheetah »

Take them on Pieter :thumbup: but first get al the information, this forum is behind you :aggresive:
0000DS

Post by 0000DS »

0000DS

Post by 0000DS »

Last Pic of Johan's post
http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showpost ... ostcount=1
April 2007
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Here are some pictures of a September 2010 Ironman snorkel.

If these are not affected by the copyright, then the no-name cant be singled out ....
Attachments
IMG_7607 (Custom).jpg
IMG_6845 (Custom).jpg
IMG_6845 (Custom).jpg (26.95 KiB) Viewed 11537 times
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
legend35
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by legend35 »

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32318" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
July 2006

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/67150" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
June 2003
http://www.g20.net/forum/showpost.php?p ... stcount=30
July 2003

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/simple- ... post114458
April 2007
ImageImageImageImage
ThysdJ
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Ek het hierdie van Petrus Nieuwoudt gekry. Dis van 'n Safari snorkel wat op sy broer se Fortuner ge-installeer is in 2007.

Foto van die snorkel en afskrif van die "invoice".
IMG00095-20110602-1607.jpg
Invoice.pdf
(294.55 KiB) Downloaded 141 times
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
2.8 d/cab SFA
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: Yamaha R1

Post by 2.8 d/cab SFA »

http://www.overland.co.za/travel_report ... _07_08.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.overland.co.za/travel_report ... Turner.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.overland.co.za/travel_report ... t_2009.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.overland.co.za/travel_report ... lessis.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.overland.co.za/travel_report ... c_2008.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.overland.co.za/travel_report ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.overland.co.za/travel_report ... y_2008.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.overland.co.za/Photo_Albums/ ... pril_2007/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.overland.co.za/travel_report ... to_Moz.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.overland.co.za/travel_report ... a_2009.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.overland.co.za/travel_report ... t_2007.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.overland.co.za/travel_report ... c_2009.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.overland.co.za/travel_report ... h_2009.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.overland.co.za/travel_report ... l_2009.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.overland.co.za/travel_report ... p_2008.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:thumbup: hope this helps
John
Real Trucks Don't Have Sparkplugs!
ImageImage
Family_Dog
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

The overland site John posted above seems to be down?

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

Family_Dog wrote:The overland site John posted above seems to be down?

-F_D
Ek kon dit ook nie oop maak nie
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
2.8 d/cab SFA

Post by 2.8 d/cab SFA »

ok i can open the links pdf trip reports, not sure why it not working, i will download and mail it. Please which mail adress to mail to?
John
ImageImage
Piesang
Town: Grabouw
Vehicle: '99 Hilux SRX d/c 4x4

Post by Piesang »

Pieter ek kan nou nie by dra by die bewysse nie, maar ek bid jou alle sukses toe in Jesus Naam.

"Onderwerp julle dan aan God; weerstaan die duiwel, en hy sal van julle wegvlug." Jak 4:7
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

I would like to thank each and everyone of you for your input and help. Also a great thank you for the hundreds of emails of encouragement and support I received who did not want to openly post on the forum. It really is heart warming to see that we have so much support in this case, and not only from Hilux owners.

At first I was not very impressed with Johann for posting this in public, but now I am happy he did. From this post came some very good ammunition which I did not have before. Like the Donaldson Ram Head, many people wondered who really first invented the nifty ram head. From the links posted by one of you, I studied some of Donaldson's documentation and found literature dating back as far as 1986 with that head design. From the links you guys posted it seems like the designs they registered as "new" designs were in fact available in the open market as far back as 2003.

It seems like Safari's biggest issue is copy right on the templates. Luckily for us we started re-designing the templates soon after we sold the first snorkel. I realised that the templates supplied by the chinese were highly inaccurate and decided to do our own. So when Safari sent me the first letter I did not even bother to get hold of their templates to test it and see if it really were the same, I just told the design team that the templates must all be ready within a week. I am sure that I could get samples from them and prove that ours are not the same, but since they were inaccurate anyway it was not worth the effort. In fact while I am in the thanking mood I would like to thank Safari for forcing us to improve our product much quicker than planned. We still do not know if the old templates were really the same as theirs, but we really do not care, the new ones are much more accurate.

A lot of good came from all of this. I know about at least 5 people in South Africa who are importing chinese snorkels (those who acknowledge it to be chinese snorkels) All 5 are small businesses importing limited numbers of snorkels. Because of Safari's attempts 4 of the 5 are now helping and supporting each other. So where they had a couple of small competitions they are creating one huge competition for themselves. Besides the South African competiton, because of this I also received wonderful support from 2 Australian, 1 Canadian and one UK company. There are one Australian company in particular who were very helpful in helping me with information since they walked this road with Safari before. So all in all they just made us better and stronger. A great thank you for Safari and their team.

Then, the biggest joke of all is that snorkels are not as big a seller as everybody thinks. The stock are moving slow and it takes lots of space to store. It is expensive to import and expensive to courier. I make more money from my smaller products than from the snorkels. I actually decided that after my next container I will stop importing snorkels and just buy from one of the other importers and sell it on. But now, after having to put in so much effort and after making so many new friends because of this, I think I will continue. So if Safari did not send me their letter I would have been out of the game within 6 months from now, but now they showed me there might be a bigger potential market than I thought.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
2.8 d/cab SFA

Post by 2.8 d/cab SFA »

excellent, let me know when SFA ones will be ready.
John
ImageImage
Piesang
Town: Grabouw
Vehicle: '99 Hilux SRX d/c 4x4

Post by Piesang »

Now thats the spirit Pieter :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

"Onderwerp julle dan aan God; weerstaan die duiwel, en hy sal van julle wegvlug." Jak 4:7
Animul
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: Previously V8 supercharged Monster truck, Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. Now looking for a vehicle to rejoin the community

Post by Animul »

Hello Pieter,

Whenever you have one for a Wrangler, I'll be your first client!!

I shall wait then ....
sir shrek
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: '09 Hilux D/C 4.0 V6 AKA 'BULLET' Hilux D/C 7M-GE aka SIR SHREK(SOLD) Jetta MK5 2.0TFSI

Post by sir shrek »

One ant cannot kill a giant.
But an army of ants will eat this giant in minutes.
Good luck to you Piter and please let me know when those snorkels land.

Claude
3" suspension lift 31" bfg muds dual fuel tanks custom bushbar 7M-GE
Rear Diff Lock Custom made snorkel
UGLY LIKE SHREK,STRONG LIKE RUSSIA
Johan Kriel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Okahandja
Vehicle: 2.5 SC 4x4

Post by Johan Kriel »

Where are Safaris snorkels manufactured. I would not be surprised if its also in China. Maybe nothing to do with this tread, but China manufactured now a days many items inder their own name that was manufactured previously for other brand names. There are numerous.

But what one must make sure what is the originate of it China. The are original brand names, legal and illegal copies, and fakes.

Pieter take them on. Just for the sake of business.

For example the caterpillar machines that we bought are all manufactured in China, and sold here for 3 times the prices that it cost it Chine to manufacture, or put else one can buy the same spec machine with a China name for the third of the prices.
Johan Kriel

Legend 50
Scorpion
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Scorpion »

See Pieter? Hate to tell you I told you so... :twisted:

Anyway, thank you to each and every person who has helped and wished Pieter well. I am sure that what you guys have posted will definitely help immensely, but please continue to post any pics, links, etc when you stumble upon them. :thumbup:

Then as a side note, nobody has to worry about Safari pulling anybody else into this. Those that bought snorkels, did not buy anything illegal and those that post are merely voicing opinions and/or helping a friend. So IMHO and with all the proof above, it is very clear that Safari is not "playing ball". They are playing the man. What they should be doing is focusing on improving their product, starting a price war and building a good reputation. The money they are spending trying to shut down the competition should rather be used to on positive marketing and giving back to the consumer in the form of discounts and price reductions. Just M2CW... :evil:
1978 Land Cruiser HJ45
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Pieter while you are improving the product - have a look at the small bolts used to bolt down the riser pipe on the A-pillar.

These tend to get some surface rust ....

My Ironman has the same surface rust as the Chinese import ......

not sure it just want to "Coat" it, or replace it with SS ones.
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Chris, I saw that rust and it is the same as what some of the chinese products are doing. I cannot understand why they don't spend 50c more and use stainless bolts. If I were you I would rather buy stainless bolts and replace it with that especially because you are down in the Cape. Here by the sea even some stainless products rust.
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Way to go, Pieter!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Very happy that you've decided to continue with the snorkels! :D: ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
ThysdJ
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

So ja!! Justice will prevail... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Polarbear2008
Vehicle: 01 Hilux Kz-te 4x4 Raider d/c
Club VHF Licence: X49

Post by Polarbear2008 »

Pieter

Bly om te hoor dinge gaan beter! Kyk maar in die Bybel - elke keer wat Farao die Isealiete gekasty het, het hulle beter anderkant uitgekom. Ek het persoonlik die ervaring gehad met die vorige eienaar van die besigheid waarvoor ek werk!

Ek is bly om te sien dat die Hilux manne so vierkantig agter jou staan! Dit wys inbors! Geluk manne (en dames!)
01 Hilux 3.0L KZ-TE 4x4 Raider d/c
GME Gx300 29meg & Vertex VX2200 VHF radio
Mikem load springs with greasable shackles and polybushes
Monroe Gas Magnum shocks
Kumho Road Venture AT - 30x9.5x15
National Luna Dual battery system
Frontrunner roofrack with s/steel table
Twin rear high lift jack points
Hilux4x4club sticker! ('nuf said!)
Echo3 4x4 offroad trailer with NL 74 Litre Fridge/Freezer
Dual loadbox slides
Wishlist:
Alu canopy
Warn Winch
Unlimited Fuel & Travel Budget!
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Pieter will come out of this with his head held high! Sort of like David & Goliath... ;)

-F_D

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

"Life's problems would not be called 'hurdles' if there wasn't a way to get over them" Unknown
arnize2
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by arnize2 »

Ek dink Safari het met hulle aksie net" slapende honde" wakker gemaak. Rook hulle Pieter!!! :twisted: :twisted:
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Safari should have read Pieter's signature before "going with the flow"... ;)

-F_D

Return to “Open Discussion”