Rhino Patrol ?

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Rhino Patrol ?

Post by OOOOMS »

Nico Pienaar, (chairman of the Nissan4x4 Club) Henniej2 and myself had a little discussion on Saturday, regarding the whole rhino, disaster that we are currently experiencing in our country.

All agreed that throwing money at the Parks Board, is no longer an option, however......you and I with your 4x4 have access to area's many 'others' can not get to! That is probably why we have 4x4's?

There are plenty of farmers out there / parks etc. where we would be able to get a few vehicles together and offer our assistance by either.

1) driving a night patrol
2) making ourselves visible
3) assisting, by eg. fence repair or wherever is required

It must be "free and fun" outing at the same time :!:

For more info, if you are not aware, you can read here:
viewtopic.php?f=70&t=13005&hilit=rhino+poaching" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Who would be interested?
AM Racing
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: East London
Vehicle: Range Rover Classic V8

Re: Rhino Patrol

Post by AM Racing »

Sounds like a plan except I'm this side of the world. Just a question though, what happens when you come across heavily armed poachers? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
:aggresive:
ImageImageImage
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

AM Racing wrote:Sounds like a plan except I'm this side of the world. Just a question though, what happens when you come across heavily armed poachers? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
:aggresive:
Yeh Dylan, you bet they will be heavily armed, which I am sure they will be!!!

Don't have the answer to your question, this is currently a thought!
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

The idea of being of assistance appeals to me as well, and there are game farms in this area ... not necessarily with rhino, but other game which might be under threat from poachers. More of a problem in this area are the stock theft syndicates that target mainly sheep farms.

Even if we could get a group together, I'm not sure that we would be welcomed without being able to assure the land owner of our intentions, and that we are not going to be a part of the problem. Safety would be a further issue and radio comms between vehicles as well as with the land owner / authorities / police would be vital. Small groups would be vulnerable.

It's not impossible, but there are hurdles to overcome before even getting started. :think:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
kfxnando
Town: Germiston
Vehicle: Ford V6 3.4 Courrier soon to be powered by Yamaha!! Jeep GC 4.7 V8, Aygo broken traded for a Kia Picanto.2ex, 2012 Jeep GC 5.7 V8 Ovrrland

Post by kfxnando »

Mud Dog wrote:The idea of being of assistance appeals to me as well, and there are game farms in this area ... not necessarily with rhino, but other game which might be under threat from poachers. More of a problem in this area are the stock theft syndicates that target mainly sheep farms.

Even if we could get a group together, I'm not sure that we would be welcomed without being able to assure the land owner of our intentions, and that we are not going to be a part of the problem. Safety would be a further issue and radio comms between vehicles as well as with the land owner / authorities / police would be vital. Small groups would be vulnerable.

It's not impossible, but there are hurdles to overcome before even getting started. :think:
Andy has put in words what my thought are!! me not very good at putting thoughts to paper!!

from past experience
I'm not sure that we would be welcomed without being able to assure the land owner of our intentions, and that we are not going to be a part of the problem

from hunting to 4x4ing to quadding, the land owners response is sometimes not so good!! :evil:

am however in favor of the idea and think its a great idea!!

:beach:
http://www.youtube.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://community.webshots.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/kfxnando/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Re: Rhino Patrol ?

Post by OOOOMS »

Thanks for the response so far, that is what I was looking for!

As mentioned it may be a shot in the dark, but at least it is a start.

The main idea is for some to get out, become visible, doing something good for the community and at the same time enjoy the outdoors :thumbup:
GeorgeJvR
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Louis Trichardt
Vehicle: 2008 Prado 4.0 V6, 1989 SFA S/C 2.2 1998 SFA LTD 22RE

Post by GeorgeJvR »

I like the idea!
Lost about 5 sheep in the past two years and close to 10 on the nextdoor property.
Mostly over x mas and easter week end.

but not a lot of place to drive as it's in total 20ha.
To Buy and sell a vehicle is my hobby
Make a deal that no one else thought possible is my aim

Kom wat wil ek bly 'n Bul!
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

A very similar idea had crossed my mind about 2 years ago. (It was directed more at stock control amongst farmers, which is why I mentioned that aspect of it.) I had started with an action plan and an outline .... IIRC it was saved in a 'Word-Pro' document format .... must look for it and convert it to pdf, then I can post it here. There might be some pointers that can be used ... I still intend to get something going down this way ... it just dropped down on my priority list after my Lux was stolen last year. ;-)

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Found it .... cannot convert to pdf but it's not a lengthy document so I'll just copy / paste it here. Remember this was a draft to capture my thoughts at the time ... not a final product ..................

4x4 OPS
(4x4 Off-road Patrolling Services)

Mission

• To provide day or night fence patrols and area patrols to land owners / farmers / game parks to prevent poaching and stock theft by way of presence and vehicle patrolling.
• To report any bad fence conditions or suspicious / unusual activity.
• To provide off-road enthusiasts with the opportunity of day or night excursions.

Benefits
To Participants.
They get a free patrolling service.
Possible reduction in stock losses.
An additional presence on their lands which make them a less attractive target.
Report backs.
Possible vermin control.
Land owner doesn't need to leave his family unattended if he himself was doing patrols.

To volunteers.
They get free excursions.
Gain outdoor knowledge.
Gain off-road experience (new-comers).
Possible hunt invites.

Planning

• Identify willing participant venues (Participants).
• Organise willing off-road enthusiasts (Volunteers).
• Meet or communicate with prospective participants and outline the mission and benefits.
• Set up dates and times.
• Arrange briefings.

Execution

• Arrange communication with law enforcement if required.
• Volunteers to meet at predetermined RV and proceed to venue or meet at venue.
• Report to participant.
• Arrange communication medium with participant in the event of an emergency.
• Execute patrol.
• Note any incident on a log sheet with co-ordinates.
• Report to particpant when leaving (if not too late or inconvenient for participant).
• Submit / communicate report the following day if not done on departure.

If poachers / stock thieves are encountered, they are not to be engaged but observed from a safe distance and reported. If fired upon to retreat immediately.

Directives

• Any special requirements / cautions from the participant to be communicated to the volunteers at the briefing.
• Action to be taken (if any) when encountering vermin.
• Firearm policy.
• Routes to be patrolled.

Equipment

• Vehicles to be in a state of good maintenance with adequate fuel and serviceable spare wheel.
• Adequate lighting on vehicle.
• At least one hand held spotlight / search light.
• Own GPS unit
• Own recovery equipment.
• A log sheet.
• An outline or map of the farm borders and patrol route.
• Own cell phone with participant, volunteer and law enforcement numbers saved.
• Own two way radios.
• Own binoculars (or night vision if possessed and required)
• Own first aid kit.
• Licensed side arm (if permitted).
• Own foodstuff / beverages (NO alcohol permitted).

General conduct

• No alcohol.
• No raucous behaviour
• No reckless driving
• No new tracks without permission.
• No littering
• General courtesy.

Vis
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Marble Hall
Vehicle: Hilux xtra Cab 2014,Isuzu 250 dtec 2011 ,Fortuner d4d 4x4

Post by Vis »

Very good idea,friend of ours lost 1 rhino,and 4 was wounded 2 weeks ago.He was on Carte Blanche about a year ago when he lost 3 rhinos.
Elvy
2011 Hilux D4D 4x4 s/c
2008 Fortuner 4x4
1993 Hilux d/c sfa
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Pathfinder 2.5 LE AT
Club VHF Licence: X81

Post by Traveler »

Very good idea. I'd like to test my .416Rigby on a man sized target..............

We cannot be everywhere, but where we can be we are extra eyes and ears. And the poachers have started targetting the Eastern Cape Rhino already.

Know what you don't know.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Other benefits for volunteers might include things like

Sharing of bush-craft knowledge
Sharing of wild life knowledge
Night navigation

And of course the elevation of the 4x4 enthusiasts in the eyes of the land owners / public.

Traveler wrote:Very good idea. I'd like to test my .416Rigby on a man sized target..............

We cannot be everywhere, but where we can be we are extra eyes and ears. And the poachers have started targetting the Eastern Cape Rhino already.
Yes, but they might be a little far afield ..... maybe once it gets going and the word gets out we could spread our wings. I envisaged this as an inter-club thing ... everyone welcome. Who knows.

AM Racing
Vehicle: Range Rover Classic V8

Post by AM Racing »

I like! Maybe Mpongo Park would be interested on our side Andy?!
ImageImageImage
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

AM Racing wrote:I like! Maybe Mpongo Park would be interested on our side Andy?!
Fred Burchell was on my list of possibilities, but I think he sold up .... would have to do some leg work anyway. And then there's Inkonkwezi as well. They had rhino. :think:

OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Mud Dog wrote:Other benefits for volunteers might include things like

Sharing of bush-craft knowledge
Sharing of wild life knowledge
Night navigation

And of course the elevation of the 4x4 enthusiasts in the eyes of the land owners / public.

Traveler wrote:Very good idea. I'd like to test my .416Rigby on a man sized target..............

Yes, but they might be a little far afield ..... maybe once it gets going and the word gets out we could spread our wings. I envisaged this as an inter-club thing ... everyone welcome. Who knows.
100% correct Andy, that is exactly what I was getting at :thumbup:
Bossie1
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Modimolle
Vehicle: Toyota LC & Hilux

Post by Bossie1 »

In order to execute this great idea in an organised manner, I suggest that you run it by the WRSA (Wildlife Ranching South Africa) office. Since many rhino are on private land, WRSA will be the organisation to "sell" the idea to its members.
An important point was already mentioned - convincing the land owner that the participants will not be part of the problem!! To allow "strangers" onto your property nowadays just seems like a risk, so keep this in mind.
Bossie1
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Modimolle
Vehicle: Toyota LC & Hilux

Post by Bossie1 »

Sorry - contact WRSA 012 335 6994
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Bossie1 wrote:In order to execute this great idea in an organised manner, I suggest that you run it by the WRSA (Wildlife Ranching South Africa) office. Since many rhino are on private land, WRSA will be the organisation to "sell" the idea to its members.
An important point was already mentioned - convincing the land owner that the participants will not be part of the problem!! To allow "strangers" onto your property nowadays just seems like a risk, so keep this in mind.
Thanks, for the info :thumbup:
SKRIK NIKS
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: krugersdorp
Vehicle: hilux 3.0kzte

Post by SKRIK NIKS »

klink na n goeie idee :thumbup:
ImageImageImage
SKRIK NIKS
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

If, or rather perhaps when we do this, it will be done in an organised manner, and although each area will obviously orchestrate their own activities, it would be nice to have the blessing of an umbrella body like WRSA and perhaps even the AAWDC. This is something that is bigger than individuals and individual clubs ... my vision was to get something like this going and pass it on to someone (person / persons or organisation) with more time and dedication, but to maintain an active roll. :think:

Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
Club VHF Licence: X122

Post by Donkey »

I will help where I can :thumbup:
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Thanks for the feedback and response so far all!

Nico and others involved in this are also watching this thread :thumbup:
000MSS
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Western Cape
Vehicle: Anything i want :)

Post by 000MSS »

OOOOMS wrote:Nico Pienaar, (chairman of the Nissan4x4 Club) Henniej2 and myself had a little discussion on Saturday, regarding the whole rhino, disaster that we are currently experiencing in our country.

All agreed that throwing money at the Parks Board, is no longer an option, however......you and I with your 4x4 have access to area's many 'others' can not get to! That is probably why we have 4x4's?

There are plenty of farmers out there / parks etc. where we would be able to get a few vehicles together and offer our assistance by either.

1) driving a night patrol
2) making ourselves visible
3) assisting, by eg. fence repair or wherever is required

It must be "free and fun" outing at the same time :!:

For more info, if you are not aware, you can read here:
viewtopic.php?f=70&t=13005&hilit=rhino+poaching" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Who would be interested?
i know 2 people that are interested.
ONE LIFE! DRIVE A TOYOTA!

DUST IS A DIFFERENT KIND OF STATUS SYMBOL!!!
KPC
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Krugersdorp
Vehicle: 3.0 d4d d/c

Post by KPC »

Yes you can count me in
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

KPC wrote:Yes you can count me in
Clint ek het geweet jou sou :yahoo:
arnize2
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Wellington
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4X4

Post by arnize2 »

Sal definitief belangstel indien ons so iets kan reel. Hier is nogal 'n paar renosters in die Suid Kaap. :thumbup:
Piesang
Town: Grabouw
Vehicle: '99 Hilux SRX d/c 4x4

Post by Piesang »

Hier by ons is nou nie renosters nie, behalwe vir 'n paar ouens wat hul so gedra :lol: :lol: , maar dit is om die rede dat ek aangesluit het as eere natuurbewaarder by Weskaap se Natuurbewaaring. Net jammer dat hier nie veel georganiseer word nie en ons kom ook nooit bymekaar vir bespreekings nie Ek het al probeer om met die hoof van natuurbewareing in aanraking te kom, maar dit sal geduurinde werks ure moet wees en dan is ek vas.

Maar wat ek wel wil sê vir die ouens wat wel belangstel werk saam met Sanparke, sluit aan as eere/hulp bewaarder. Julle sal opleiding kry waar nodig en vir wat nodig en sal dan deur/saam of onder leiding van die parkeraad 'n goeie plan kan uitwerk, moet nie die wiel van vooraf probeer ontwerp nie, gebruik hom tot jul voordeel. Passop net vir ouens wat wil deel wees net om verniet op plekke te kan inkom en dan doen hul hul eie ding, dis nogal wat ek hier by ons sien.

"Onderwerp julle dan aan God; weerstaan die duiwel, en hy sal van julle wegvlug." Jak 4:7
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Nogal 'n idee en 'n moontlikheid, Pieter. :thumbup:

Piesang
Town: Grabouw
Vehicle: '99 Hilux SRX d/c 4x4

Post by Piesang »

Mud Dog wrote:Nogal 'n idee en 'n moontlikheid, Pieter. :thumbup:
Om deel van Sanparke se hulp bewaarders te word is daar 'n kursus wat gedoen moet word met werkstukke wat in gehandig moet word. Ek het so jaar terug 'n eendag kursus wat hier by ons aangebied is gaan bywoon en dit is nogal insigewind. Ek sal dit nogal aanbeveel.

Ek sien al hoe kom hier 'n nuwe groep by op die forum HILUX ERE BEWAARDERS of so iets

"Onderwerp julle dan aan God; weerstaan die duiwel, en hy sal van julle wegvlug." Jak 4:7
SuidWes
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: Prado 120 VX
Club VHF Licence: B35

Post by SuidWes »

Naam is saam :thumbup:
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away - George Carlin
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

SuidWes wrote:Naam is saam :thumbup:
Mooi man Jaco!

Nico and I are meeting tomorow morning at my place at 11h00, anyone wanting to join are more than welcome to attend. Pm me for address details should you want to join in :thumbup:
KPC
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Krugersdorp
Vehicle: 3.0 d4d d/c

Post by KPC »

Ek is besigheid met rugby.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

KPC wrote:Ek is besigheid met rugby.
Gedink jy gaan pak? Jy gaan sonder iets ry Namibia toe Clint....! :lol: :lol: :lol:
blom
Town: Landrovia
Vehicle: xj jeep & SERIES 3 & Isuzu KB 300 Dtec DC

Post by blom »

:clap:
ek's game
Grensvegter van LANDROVIA
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler