Sleeping bags???

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Sleeping bags???

Post by OOOOMS »

I was a looking at sleeping bags this week and my 'looking' came to a sudden halt, when I looked at some options and prices..... :o:

Some I looked at:
Oz-Tents Xtra large rated -10 @ R1200 nice as I like the extra space (rating worries me ....)
First Accent Ice Nitro -5 @ R2400 http://www.outdoorwarehouse.co.za/first ... g-bag.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
First Accent fusion 900 -15 @ R3599 http://www.outdoorwarehouse.co.za/first ... g-bag.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (holly molly...I never new they could get that expensive...... :shock: )

Your experience and comments would be appreciated :thumbup:
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Pathfinder 2.5 LE AT
Club VHF Licence: X81

Re: Sleeping bags???

Post by Traveler »

Have used a K-Way Cowl for 7 Years. Never been sorry for buying 2, one for me and one for Nadine.

Know what you don't know.
WayneSchalk
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Krugersdorp
Vehicle: 2019 Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD-6 4X4 DC Auto
Club VHF Licence: X117

Post by WayneSchalk »

I bought 2 Camp master sleeping bags from Makro, nice thing about them is you can zip 2 together to form one big one :thumbup:

but I cannot remember the price, about R600 i think.
Borntofish
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Hilux 86

Post by Borntofish »

I bought 2 Camp master sleeping bags from Makro, nice thing about them is you can zip 2 together to form one big one :thumbup:

Een = Slaapsak,
twee aanmekaar gezip = streepsak
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Borntofish wrote:

Een = Slaapsak,
twee aanmekaar gezip = streepsak
Werner, jou stoutgat...... :mocking: :mocking: :mocking:
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

Mark, I also looked and decided that the ones I have must just do 2 x -5 and 2x 0 degrees.An other option to inprove the sleeping bags is to sow 2 fleece blankets (singles) together to create an inner (can easily be removed and washed). It is a hell of a lot cheaper than buying new s-bags
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Niel wrote:Mark, I also looked and decided that the ones I have must just do 2 x -5 and 2x 0 degrees.An other option to inprove the sleeping bags is to sow 2 fleece blankets (singles) together to create an inner (can easily be removed and washed). It is a hell of a lot cheaper than buying new s-bags
Janee, goeie plan Niel :thumbup:

Since my hiking days are over...I am told :shock: By myself! I find some of these prices pretty hefty :blackeye:
Gideonvanzyl
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: Hilux 2.7 D/C 4x4

Post by Gideonvanzyl »

I bought x2 TNF Dolomite sleeping bags last weekend for the kids. -5 @R749 a piece. Have not used them yet, need now x2 for me and mommy, something that can zip together. I will go look at Makro.
Toyota Hilux 2.7 Legend 35 (Bullnose) 2003 d/cab 4x4 with Cooper Discoverer AT 3's on with unichip and Powerflow exhaust. Name: Blouwillebees
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

OOOOMS wrote:I was a looking at sleeping bags this week and my 'looking' came to a sudden halt, when I looked at some options and prices..... :o:

Some I looked at:
Oz-Tents Xtra large rated -10 @ R1200 nice as I like the extra space (rating worries me ....)
First Accent Ice Nitro -5 @ R2400 http://www.outdoorwarehouse.co.za/first ... g-bag.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
First Accent fusion 900 -15 @ R3599 http://www.outdoorwarehouse.co.za/first ... g-bag.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (holly molly...I never new they could get that expensive...... :shock: )

Your experience and comments would be appreciated :thumbup:
Gideonvanzyl wrote:I bought x2 TNF Dolomite sleeping bags last weekend for the kids. -5 @R749 a piece. Have not used them yet, need now x2 for me and mommy, something that can zip together. I will go look at Makro.
Tx Gideon! This worries me though, your -5 for R749 and OW -5 for R2400.......

Are these rating correct & how will one know? This leaves a question mark in my kop :idea:
Borntofish
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Hilux 86

Post by Borntofish »

Just remember, those ratings are not meant that you will be comfortable in the sleeping bag when it is minus -5. I still feel that the army way is the way to go. Buy an average sleeping bag and get an thermal inner liner For when you are somewhere where it is really cold in South africa. A -10 bag is uncomfortable when you are in the lowveld in winter.
http://www.kway.co.za/microfibre.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Borntofish on Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Borntofish wrote:Just remember, those ratings are not meant that you will be comfortable in the sleeping bag when it is minus -5. I still feel that the army way is the way to go. Buy an average sleeping bag and get an thermal inner liner For when you are somewhere where it is really cold in South africa. A -10 bag is uncomfortable when you are in the lowveld in winter.
I see the OZ one has a removable inner flees, but the salesman at OW told me it's a rubbish product......

Anyone tested the OZ?
HennieO
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Bellville
Vehicle: '98 Hilux DC 2.7;2012 MB ML350;2016 MB C220 BLUETEC; 1999 VW GOLF 1.6; VW Caddy P/V

Post by HennieO »

I see the OZ one has a removable inner flees, but the salesman at OW told me it's a rubbish product......
I don't know if you can believe a word of what any salesman at OW says. The salesmen at OW in CT (Willowbridge) are possibly the least informed/worst trained bunch ever to work in any store............ :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

That being said: I don't like sleeping bags - I tend to tie myself into a knot thats almost impossible to get out of! I now zip mine open and use it like a blanket, together with a fleece blanket. Ilse also lines the kids' bags with a fleece, seems to work very well! :thumbup:
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

First Accent Ice Nitro -5 @ R2400 http://www.outdoorwarehouse.co.za/first" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... g-bag.html
I still do not quite understand why the huge price difference with the two I compared........ :?:
Niel

Post by Niel »

HennieO wrote:I don't know if you can believe a word of what any salesman at OW says. The salesmen at OW in CT (Willowbridge) are possibly the least informed/worst trained bunch ever to work in any store............
Hennie, ek stem saam hulle is verby useless.

Die Safari Centre ouens gebruik van die produkte hulle self en kan baie beter terugvoering gee :thumbup: Hulle is groot op OZ
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Totally agree Neil... when I bought my Garmin GPS, the sales staff at Makro knew their products so much better than the okes at OW Willowbridge... in fact after asking some basic questions about the new models I saw told to go elsewhere cause they had no clue! :thumbdown:

Mark, I can promise you, most of the time, most of the stuff you buy from OW is totally overpriced... look at camping chairs, they take a generic no-name brand chair, print some fancy branding on, and put it in a nice(ish) bag, suddenly it's R799, while Agrimark sell the same unbranded chair for R299(or less)... I've been caught like this... never again!
HennieO
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Bellville
Vehicle: '98 Hilux DC 2.7;2012 MB ML350;2016 MB C220 BLUETEC; 1999 VW GOLF 1.6; VW Caddy P/V

Post by HennieO »

Maybe worth it to try Cape Union Mart. They have a good range of sleeping bags. :thumbup:
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 99 IFS DC 4x4

Post by niclemaitre »

Hi there

The major difference in sleeping bags is down vs synthetic/hollow fibre.

Down is lightweight and packs smaller and has the best weight:warmth ratio of any substance known to man. It doesn't work well when wet and is a pain to wash (take it to the manufacturers and get them to wash it for you). Down sleeping bags also must NOT be rolled into their bags, stuff them in rather. They must also NOT be stored in their bags but rather in a larger bag (most are sold with a storage bag). This prevents the down being crushed irreparably. Down bags are great for hiking wear both weight and packing space are important. Down bags need some time to "loft" (fill with air) before they will be fully insulating. Down is also much more expensive than hollow fibre.

Hollow fibre is heavier and does not pack well. It's weight to warmth ratio is worse than down. It does however work when wet and is easy to wash, just chuck it in the washing machine. It can be rolled in to its bag and can be stored rolled up and will not be damaged. Hollow fibre doesn't need time to loft. Hollow fibre is cheaper than down.

So for most guys on this forum who will be doing car camping rather than hiking and space/weight is less of a concern; hollow fibre is better choice.

In my experience First Ascent make really good quality gear and their after sales service is really good. Also, all of their sleeping bags zip together (just get a "Left zip" and a "Right zip" one). They are more expensive than Camp Master etc but it is well worth the extra. If you do go for one of the cheaper bags then look out for YKK zips because they have a lifetime guarantee. Sleeping bag liners make a BIG difference, even if they are just made out of cotton, they make the bag much warmer - like a sheet on a bed - and then you only have to wash the liner rather than the bag.

However, nothing can beat the feel of a good down bag!
Happy trails
Nic

SFA '97 DC - affirmatively shopped
SFA '87 DC "Rooies" - sold
IFS '99 DC "Benny"
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Pathfinder 2.5 LE AT
Club VHF Licence: X81

Post by Traveler »

HennieO wrote:Maybe worth it to try Cape Union Mart. They have a good range of sleeping bags. :thumbup:
K-Way Sleeping bags.
I'll buy one again. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Know what you don't know.
Jaco Versfeld
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Western Cape
Vehicle: Moms Taxi, 2001 Prado (The Barbie Cruiser)) Sold - Mufasa: '86 Hilux DC 4Y EFI
Club VHF Licence: X69

Post by Jaco Versfeld »

OOOOMS wrote:
First Accent Ice Nitro -5 @ R2400 http://www.outdoorwarehouse.co.za/first" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... g-bag.html
I still do not quite understand why the huge price difference with the two I compared........ :?:
Hi Mark, the First Accent is most probably "Gans dons", what is it called in English?? Where the OZ might be hollow fibre, if I have to take a guess at the price difference.
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Jaco Versfeld wrote:Hi Mark, the First Accent is most probably "Gans dons", what is it called in English??
Goose Down
MOFASA
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1998 JEEP XJ 4.0............ 4 inch lift.... more mods to follow............ Old vehicle was MOFASA
Club VHF Licence: X119

Post by MOFASA »

Tentco has some very nice s bags and the price if im not mistaken is R399...
Nice light weight thick and warm when you put your hand inside....
Swambo and I are gonna be getting some soon....... :thumbup:
Live Life in the FAST lane....
Forget the past, Embrace the FUTURE!!!!
To 4x4 or not to 4x4 thats the question....
IT'S A JEEP :yahoo: ..... You wouldn't understand....
ImageImageImage[rimg=206x128]
Niel

Post by Niel »

niclemaitre wrote:Hi there

The major difference in sleeping bags is down vs synthetic/hollow fibre.

Down is lightweight and packs smaller and has the best weight:warmth ratio of any substance known to man. It doesn't work well when wet and is a pain to wash (take it to the manufacturers and get them to wash it for you). Down sleeping bags also must NOT be rolled into their bags, stuff them in rather. They must also NOT be stored in their bags but rather in a larger bag (most are sold with a storage bag). This prevents the down being crushed irreparably. Down bags are great for hiking wear both weight and packing space are important. Down bags need some time to "loft" (fill with air) before they will be fully insulating. Down is also much more expensive than hollow fibre.

Hollow fibre is heavier and does not pack well. It's weight to warmth ratio is worse than down. It does however work when wet and is easy to wash, just chuck it in the washing machine. It can be rolled in to its bag and can be stored rolled up and will not be damaged. Hollow fibre doesn't need time to loft. Hollow fibre is cheaper than down.

So for most guys on this forum who will be doing car camping rather than hiking and space/weight is less of a concern; hollow fibre is better choice.

In my experience First Ascent make really good quality gear and their after sales service is really good. Also, all of their sleeping bags zip together (just get a "Left zip" and a "Right zip" one). They are more expensive than Camp Master etc but it is well worth the extra. If you do go for one of the cheaper bags then look out for YKK zips because they have a lifetime guarantee. Sleeping bag liners make a BIG difference, even if they are just made out of cotton, they make the bag much warmer - like a sheet on a bed - and then you only have to wash the liner rather than the bag.

However, nothing can beat the feel of a good down bag!
Down will make all my allergies go bos so I am stuck with hollow fibre
Royco
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Vehicle: '09 D4D 3.0 Raider 4x4 D/Cab
Club VHF Licence: X88

Post by Royco »

Niel wrote: Down will make all my allergies go bos so I am stuck with hollow fibre
... and you don't get those little feathers sticking into you!
I'm very happy with hollow fibre!
Image Image Image Image
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

My question is still the 'ratings'.....

Yes, I understand the 'duck down' I have two and plenty of hollow fire sleeping bags.

How can
First Accent Ice Nitro -5 @ R2400
Oz's sleeping bag be rated -10?
legend
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Brakpan
Vehicle: Hilux Raider
Club VHF Licence: Lema,

Post by legend »

OOOOMS wrote:My question is still the 'ratings'.....

Yes, I understand the 'duck down' I have two and plenty of hollow fire sleeping bags.

How can
Oz's sleeping bag be rated -10?[/quote

Hi there Mark :thumbup:

I bought a -40 hollow fiber sleeping bag at Outdoor Warehouse 7 years ago and is rated -2 to -5 deg comfortable and i never looked back. I am a active hiker and did Lesotho in the snow with my sleeping bag and camping gear. All depends on what you gonna use it for?
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Me don't wanna get cold...... :thumbup: In winter in a tent :D:
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

I have got 2 of these http://www.outdoorwarehouse.co.za/360-d ... g-bag.html
We dont get cold.
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

george wrote:I have got 2 of these http://www.outdoorwarehouse.co.za/360-d ... g-bag.html
We dont get cold.
Tx George, that's the kinda info that helps :thumbup: :thumbup:

PS Waar is jylle nou?
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=26094&start=30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SuidWes
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: Prado 120 VX
Club VHF Licence: B35

Post by SuidWes »

Mark, weet van mense wat 'n elektriese kombers van 'n inverter af harloop net vir so uur voor hul gaan slaap.... :)
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away - George Carlin
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

SuidWes wrote:Mark, weet van mense wat 'n elektriese kombers van 'n inverter af harloop net vir so uur voor hul gaan slaap.... :)
Ja, maar ek het ongelukkig nie plek vir nog 'n ietsie in my lorry nie......
SuidWes
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: Prado 120 VX
Club VHF Licence: B35

Post by SuidWes »

Ek het nog nooit baie van slaapsakke gehou nie maar so 2 dae voor ons Baboons trip die jaar het ek besluit om een te kry. Stap toe by Sportmans WH in en vra vir die eerste verkoopsman... Die ou het my so gekyk en gese massive .... en ek bly stil :wth: en daarna begin die outjie erg te verduidelik :lol: Ek stap toe daar uit met 'n 360 degree massif slaapsak :D: en dit het goed gewerk - Ook hollow fibre, lekker groot met 'n kappie en kom in 'n compression bag so pak nie te groot nie :thumbup: :bye:
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away - George Carlin
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

SuidWes wrote:Ek het nog nooit baie van slaapsakke gehou nie maar so 2 dae voor ons Baboons trip die jaar het ek besluit om een te kry. Stap toe by Sportmans WH in en vra vir die eerste verkoopsman... Die ou het my so gekyk en gese massive .... en ek bly stil :wth: en daarna begin die outjie erg te verduidelik :lol: Ek stap toe daar uit met 'n 360 degree massif slaapsak :D: en dit het goed gewerk - Ook hollow fibre, lekker groot met 'n kappie en kom in 'n compression bag so pak nie te groot nie :thumbup: :bye:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: 99 IFS DC 4x4

Post by niclemaitre »

OOOOMS wrote:My question is still the 'ratings'.....

How can
Oz's sleeping bag be rated -10?
You are paying for the quality of the materials and the complexity of the manufacturing process with the FA bag. They have complicated things like internal baffles that hold the down in place and prevent it moving around. Also their factory is in Muizenberg so getting it repaired when a dog chews a hole in it (looong story :razz: ) is not difficult.
Happy trails
Nic

SFA '97 DC - affirmatively shopped
SFA '87 DC "Rooies" - sold
IFS '99 DC "Benny"
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Tx Nic, that explains it :thumbup:

Return to “Open Discussion”