Pressure switch - help!

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
jacques kotze
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 2,8 4x4 Auto Fortuner. 2,8 4x4 Hilux singlecab.

Pressure switch - help!

Post by jacques kotze »

I need some advice on a switch, I think a pressure switch will be the right type switch. Have a look at the pics of my mobile telescopic tower that I've build.
ImageImage
How it work is I use a normal 12 000lbs, 12v winch that you normally use on your 4x4, I use the winch to erect the tower from 6m to 15m.
Now what I need is a kind of switch to cut the power when the tower reach 15m. Otherwise the sections will be pushed out of each other and the tower will collapse. But there must be power to retract the tower after use.
So in short, the power must be cut on the going up part at 15m, but must be available for the down part.
a Good example is a electric sliding gate motor. It has a switch that cut the power when the gate is closed but you can still open it when you push the button and the other way round.
Any help/advise please and if possible where to find this kind of switches. It must be 12v please. :beg:
Royco
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: '09 D4D 3.0 Raider 4x4 D/Cab
Club VHF Licence: X88

Re: Pressure switch - help!

Post by Royco »

I won't be able to offer much help, sorry.
But you mentioned the gate motor... can't you use that?
Ours has a battery backup - so I presume it's a 12v motor with 12v electrics... or does it use an inverter?
Image Image Image Image
Bulletjie-3
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: Hilux Raider SFA met 7M-GE engine

Post by Bulletjie-3 »

Magnetic switches ?
jacques kotze
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by jacques kotze »

Royco wrote:I won't be able to offer much help, sorry.
But you mentioned the gate motor... can't you use that?
Ours has a battery backup - so I presume it's a 12v motor with 12v electrics... or does it use an inverter?
If the gate motor can push out 800kg it will be great, but I doubt it will.
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Daai magnetic switch op die hek motors reverse die rigting van die stroom sover ek weet. Dit is gekoppel aan 'n sensing circuit.

So wat ek dink jy sal kan doen is jy sit daai switch op die pilaar en 'n magneet op die deel wat verby hom geweeg. Op die oomblik wat hy verby beweeg dan gooi hy die switch in reverse. Jy behoort relays te kan gebruik dat wanner hy dan daai switch gegooi het, die relay die stroom in 'n ander rigting vat maar dat jy byvoorbeeld eers weer 'n push button moet druk om hom weer te laat sak
To God be the glory
jacques kotze
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by jacques kotze »

Bulletjie-3 wrote:Magnetic switches ?
I think it will be the way to go. I'm going to look into it and if won't work I will be back with more Questions.

jacques kotze
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by jacques kotze »

CasKru wrote:Daai magnetic switch op die hek motors reverse die rigting van die stroom sover ek weet. Dit is gekoppel aan 'n sensing circuit.

So wat ek dink jy sal kan doen is jy sit daai switch op die pilaar en 'n magneet op die deel wat verby hom geweeg. Op die oomblik wat hy verby beweeg dan gooi hy die switch in reverse. Jy behoort relays te kan gebruik dat wanner hy dan daai switch gegooi het, die relay die stroom in 'n ander rigting vat maar dat jy byvoorbeeld eers weer 'n push button moet druk om hom weer te laat sak
My Swaer het ook die voorstel gemaak om heavy duty door mags te gebruik wat die stroom binne in die solinoid box sny.
Ek wil die ding net simpel maak sonder ingewikkelde electronics want die ding gaan op n myn gebruik word so hy moet redelik eenvoudig wees.
Dankie Cassie. :thumbup:
FJCruiser-ZN
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Durban
Vehicle: FJ Cruiser 4.0 V6 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X224

Post by FJCruiser-ZN »

Jacques

What you need is a limit switch, there are various types available.

Your best bet would be to speak to someone who services and repairs overhead cranes.

I would be very skeptical to use something that is not suited for the application, as a failure could be catastrophic.

My job is to design transmission towers using PLS Pole and PLS Cadd, whereby we model the structural properties of towers against various design criteria, weather being one. There are SANS Standards that govern towers so be careful that your design doesn't infringe any Standard. If you are not a Professional Engineer, I would strongly suggest that you seek the advice of an engineer before placing a tower where the public's safety may be at risk.

T
If you don't own an FJ Cruiser you probably won't understand...
Until we meet on a dusty road someday, somewhere, keep on Cruisering....
2013 FJ Cruiser 4.0 V6 4x4 AT
2012 Jurgen's Xcape
jacques kotze
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by jacques kotze »

Legend35-ZN wrote:Jacques

Your best bet would be to speak to someone who services and repairs overhead cranes.

I would be very skeptical to use something that is not suited for the application, as a failure could be catastrophic.

My job is to design transmission towers using PLS Pole and PLS Cadd, whereby we model the structural properties of towers against various design criteria, weather being one. There are SANS Standards that govern towers so be careful that your design doesn't infringe any Standard. If you are not a Professional Engineer, I would strongly suggest that you seek the advice of an engineer before placing a tower where the public's safety may be at risk.

T
Thanks for the advice Tony,
I'm selling the tower to a mine in Mpumulanga. When I hand over the trailer unit it becomes the responsibility of the Engineers on the mine to make sure the unit is operated properly. I have engineer drawings for all my towers/masts. This mobile unit is my 4th one I'm building, the first three is sold to a company in Namibie. This will be the first one in S.A. I just want to make sure I can eliminate any human error when operating this mobile unit. The structure also have safety catches on 1 meter intervals in case a cable snap. I can also make a stop using steel like when the sections go over the designed height, it will stop when the steel parts make contact. But what I'm afraid of is that the winch will be to strong and bend something or brake a pulley or cable.
legend
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Brakpan
Vehicle: Hilux Raider
Club VHF Licence: Lema,

Post by legend »

jacques kotze wrote:

T
I'm selling the tower to a mine in Mpumulanga. When I hand over the trailer unit it becomes the responsibility of the Engineers on the mine to make sure the unit is operated properly. I have engineer drawings for all my towers/masts. This mobile unit is my 4th one I'm building, the first three is sold to a company in Namibie. This will be the first one in S.A. I just want to make sure I can eliminate any human error when operating this mobile unit. The structure also have safety catches on 1 meter intervals in case a cable snap. I can also make a stop using steel like when the sections go over the designed height, it will stop when the steel parts make contact. But what I'm afraid of is that the winch will be to strong and bend something or brake a pulley or cable.
Halo Jacques!

Ek gaan my pel se nom vir jou gee, hy het sy eie kraan besigheid. Sy naam is Jan Nuewehout 0842345878.
Hy is die beste ou om met te gesels vir daai switches.

Groete: Legend
jacques kotze
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by jacques kotze »

legend wrote:
jacques kotze wrote:

T
Halo Jacques!

Ek gaan my pel se nom vir jou gee, hy het sy eie kraan besigheid. Sy naam is Jan Nuewehout 0842345878.
Hy is die beste ou om met te gesels vir daai switches.

Groete: Legend
Dankie Legend,
Ek sal hom Maandag oggend bel en bietjie hoor wat hy het of kan voorstel.
Ek waardeer dit baie, dankie :thumbup: :thumbup:
jacques kotze
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by jacques kotze »

Legend,
Ek het nou net met Jan gepraat, dit lyk vir my of hy my gaan kan help.
DANKIE :thumbup: :thumbup:

Return to “Open Discussion”