Baviaans - road inaccessible

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
Wegbreek
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2001 Hilux KZTE

Baviaans - road inaccessible

Post by Wegbreek »

Received this today...

A meeting was held today facilitated by ECPTA with Roads and Public Works, DEDEAT and stakeholders regarding a way forward for the section of the R332 through the Baviaanskloof World Heritage Site. The outcome of the meeting was that emergency repair work would be undertaken to get the road to a condition that would only allow true 4x4’s with low range to access the reserve and travel between Poortjies and Colesky gates; no SUV type vehicles will be permitted access. An assessment of the road is being undertaken by GIB and a quote will be provided to DRPW for approval. Updates on progress will be provide on a regular basis to tourism associations and product owners.

The road remains closed between Poortjies and Colesky gates (through the reserve) and will remain closed until 15 December where after it is hoped that the emergency repairs will have been completed. The road remains inaccessible and water levels remain high, particularly at Drinkwaterskloof.

All queries regarding condition of the road and state of water levels are to be directed directly to the Senior Reserve Manager, Sizwe Mkhulise and his management staff on the following number:

Senior Reserve Manager: Sizwe Mkhulise 071 1669 495
Komdomo offices: 042 283 7912 / 13 / 14
Drinkwaterskloof: Lucky Gundula 049 839 9003
Nahoogte offices: 044 923 1061 / 044 272 9908

Booking information and queries are to be directed to reservations: 043 701 9600

Regards,

Wayne Erlank M.B.A (Environmental)
Manager: Regional, Routes and Reserves (West)
Eastern Cape Parks & Tourism Agency

Tel: 041 364 2570
Cell: 072 430 6423
Fax: 0866 193 569
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Re: Baviaans - road inaccessible

Post by ChrisF »

Thanks for the update - actually recommended to a friend that he could tackle this in his 4x2 Toucson .... OOOPPSSSS !

Will pass on this info to them tomorrow.
Jaans
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: 2005 4L V6 DC Hilux; Pajero Sport 2.5 4x4 M/T

Post by Jaans »

Hi Wayne

Thank you for the info I will contact them late I am going there this December. luckily after the 15th so I hope they stick to their dates.

Regards
Johannes
1 Kor 1:18 " Die boodskap van die kruis van Christus is wel onsin vir die wat verlore gaan, maar vir ons wat gered word, is dit die krag van God."
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

As ek "Baviaans kloof" hoor, verander ek sommer my vakansie roete

Dankie vir die info
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Hoppy en hy klink dan nou juis LEKKER op die oomblik .... wanneer ry ons ??
Wegbreek
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2001 Hilux KZTE

Post by Wegbreek »

We were also planning a trip to Baviaans in December, but due to the road conditions now, might have to postpone it.
At least the info helps to make alternative arrangements!

Return to “Open Discussion”