Those arabs at it again...

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
Ali3n
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Jeep Commander 3.0 Limited
Club VHF Licence: B338

Those arabs at it again...

Post by Ali3n »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rvACiBc ... ata_player" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PRESENTLY DISADVANTAGED
ImageImageImage Link BrokenImageImage Link Broken
Custom built Rock Sliders, Bumpers, Belly protection.... Anything you can think of
Cell: 076 122 3744 E-Mail: fpanaino@gmail.com
Bear Grylls calls it "Ultimate Survival", overlanders call it "Camping"
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Those arabs at it again...

Post by Mud Dog »

That's some CRAZY sh-t right there! :shock:

Also some pretty good driving skill ..... no jockey wheel and those okes moving around like that! :thumbup:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
kfxnando
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Germiston
Vehicle: Ford V6 3.4 Courrier soon to be powered by Yamaha!! Jeep GC 4.7 V8, Aygo broken traded for a Kia Picanto.2ex, 2012 Jeep GC 5.7 V8 Ovrrland

Post by kfxnando »

maybe me totally wrong, however me would like to call this BS!!
sorry!!

1st, look at the rear propshaft, the universals are not moving!!
regardless of the type of differential that one has on there, it will either turn in the same direction as the side wheels if it has a locker, or in the opposite direction if it has open differentials!!

am far from an expert on Diffs, however this is from my limited knowledge!!

then with the guys moving around on the vehicle, its a fine balance and with the movement me prity sure the vehicle will move!!

used to do this trick on my quad, yes just me alone on the side two wheels

me say trick photography!! maybe me wrong!! if so pls show me why!!

thanx :surrender:
http://www.youtube.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://community.webshots.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/kfxnando/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ali3n
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Jeep Commander 3.0 Limited
Club VHF Licence: B338

Post by Ali3n »

Fernando, now I hear what you are saying and am also no expert but the quality of the video is not so great to be sure for certain that the prop is not turning. At around 3:20 I think I noticed that the rear prop was turning but could not be certain. I know those arabs are crazy and would not put this stunt past them. If it is true it is awesome. :thumbup: I was also wondering about the balance with them moving around like that.
PRESENTLY DISADVANTAGED
ImageImageImage Link BrokenImageImage Link Broken
Custom built Rock Sliders, Bumpers, Belly protection.... Anything you can think of
Cell: 076 122 3744 E-Mail: fpanaino@gmail.com
Bear Grylls calls it "Ultimate Survival", overlanders call it "Camping"
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Also wondered if it was done with CGI, but if you look at 0.36 you will see that the prop is definitely moving and that would be some awesome CGI, so although I was suspicious, I gave the benefit of the doubt. The point about the diff would certainly hold true under normal circumstances, but that could have been modified for the stunt. A stunt like that would require some serious practise over a long period, so if they were that intent on pulling it off, the diff mod would have been a minor issue for them.
:think:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

I also call BS. Although I do see the propshaft and universals turning (@2:30) why are the wheel hub not turning and why don't they show where the car goes onto and of the two wheels
To God be the glory
HennieJ2
Town: Witbank
Vehicle: Hilux D/C D4D 4x4, Hilux KZ-TE D/c 4x4

Post by HennieJ2 »

Only way they can do it, is if they have both difflocks on or LS diffs, which will make the other wheels turning, making that an impossible stunt. A normal diff transfer all power to wheel with the least resistance and hence then the wheels that are in the air - what makes this car going then? :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
Hilux D/C D4D 4x4 ; Hilux 2700i S/C 4x4
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

the Gunston stunt team was doing this in the late 60's.

Last year there was an insert on tv of some local racers that are doing it at Killarney.

YES, it does take a bit of wizardry with the diffs, but it can be done.

however, not even the experienced racing drivers were driving THAT straight on two wheels ... it is a continual balancing act, with constant movements to keep the balance .....
kfxnando
Town: Germiston
Vehicle: Ford V6 3.4 Courrier soon to be powered by Yamaha!! Jeep GC 4.7 V8, Aygo broken traded for a Kia Picanto.2ex, 2012 Jeep GC 5.7 V8 Ovrrland

Post by kfxnando »

ChrisF wrote:the Gunston stunt team was doing this in the late 60's.

Last year there was an insert on tv of some local racers that are doing it at Killarney.

however, not even the experienced racing drivers were driving THAT straight on two wheels ... it is a continual balancing act, with constant movements to keep the balance .....

yes its a continuous balancing act
and when I used to do it on my quad, it was exactly that
http://www.youtube.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://community.webshots.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/kfxnando/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HennieJ2

Post by HennieJ2 »

Yes it can be done - but with ALL wheels turning and believe me- they won't stop that wheel whilst still spinning - not with one hand!! The guys that do the stunt, has diff-locks on, in order to propel the vehicle.

HJ
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

A diff can be modified so that it no longer acts as a differential but supplies constant power to one wheel only .... the wheel in the air would have no drive at all and would not be turning.

Don't know if that's CGI or not, but the stunt is possible if the driver can hold the balance long enough.

HennieJ2

Post by HennieJ2 »

Mud Dog wrote:A diff can be modified so that it no longer acts as a differential but supplies constant power to one wheel only ....
Mmmm, never heard of it and it would be interesting to know how they do it? Only way is to remove one sideshaft completely (who has the wheel bearing on at the back?) and weld / lock the other sideshaft permanently to the crownwheel?

I don't think so - this stunt is fixed with technology - my opinion :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

HJ
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Mmmm, never heard of it and it would be interesting to know how they do it?
Simply removing the spider gears from the carrier and then welding / fixing the ½ shaft drive gear to the carrier on whichever side you want to have the permanent drive will do the trick. One might have to fit a spacer bar between the two drive gears on the two axles to keep them in position since the spider gears will no longer be there to do that. No more differential and drive to only one side. ;-)

ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Bet you that driver would have pooped himself if one of the guys outside said:
"OOPS there goes the wheel... " :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
MOFASA
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1998 JEEP XJ 4.0............ 4 inch lift.... more mods to follow............ Old vehicle was MOFASA
Club VHF Licence: X119

Post by MOFASA »

Well said

You cant see the front wheels turning left and right constantly to keep the balance
With the people moving around on the vehicle and then the wheels weight moved around the vehicle.
They would be weaving all over the road so i say its a well done stunt but they are standing still....
To get the prop to move is easy just take out the side shafts.........
Live Life in the FAST lane....
Forget the past, Embrace the FUTURE!!!!
To 4x4 or not to 4x4 thats the question....
IT'S A JEEP :yahoo: ..... You wouldn't understand....
ImageImageImage[rimg=206x128]
SYRON CONVERSIONS
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

so what at least they had fun.
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan

Return to “Open Discussion”