Another scary "how not to" video

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
smokintyres
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Windhoek
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 V6, relatively standard; for now...

Another scary "how not to" video

Post by smokintyres »

Not for the sensitive :shock2:
phpBB [video]

View Original
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Re: Another scary "how not to" video

Post by CasKru »

Daai mater kan @#$@% bly wees hy is nog met ons. Hoop ander kan uit sy foute uit leer
To God be the glory
b4runner
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: oregon US
Vehicle: 1981 Toyota Trekker

Post by b4runner »

Contributory on both the Jeep owner for not having his bumper properly affixed to his jeep and the bystander should not have been where he was. he should have stood further off to the side.
1981 Toyota Trekker. Full internal Roll Cage, Dual Transfer Cases (2.28x4.7) 5.29 gears = 220:1
35" Goodyear Kevlar MTR's
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

And a kinetic strap isn't the best option in mud when the vehicle is bogged down like that. That's looking for trouble!
Last edited by Mr_B on Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Mr_B wrote:And a kinetic strap isn't the best option is mud when the vehicle is bogged down like that. That's looking for trouble!
If you are bogged down like that, of the rope/strap type recovery equipment, the snatch rope/strap is the only one that has a chance.
To God be the glory
IISARGE
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: brackenhurst ext2
Vehicle: 2700i 4x2 hilux

Post by IISARGE »

i secand that 1 caskru :thumbup:
Piece of Cake...!
ImageImage
Die$eL
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Midrand
Vehicle: 06' Hilux 3.0 D4D 4X4

Post by Die$eL »

my word!!! Hectic!!

When will people learn to get properly clear of tow ropes!!
Real drivers use three pedals
jacques kotze
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 2,8 4x4 Auto Fortuner. 2,8 4x4 Hilux singlecab.

Post by jacques kotze »

Maybe they learned something for the day! I hope!!
JJBotes
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Witbank
Vehicle: KZ-TE

Post by JJBotes »

Eina!!!!!!!!!!!
:thumbup:
Baasvark
Town: Virginia
Vehicle: '97 D/C with all the trimmings & 2011 Troopy

Post by Baasvark »

To quote Forrest Gump: " Stupid is as stupid does!"
Aint it ironic that "Common Sense" aint so common after all...
Gideonvanzyl
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux 2.7 D/C 4x4

Post by Gideonvanzyl »

ouch !!!
Toyota Hilux 2.7 Legend 35 (Bullnose) 2003 d/cab 4x4 with Cooper Discoverer AT 3's on with unichip and Powerflow exhaust. Name: Blouwillebees
Froll
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vioolsdrift
Vehicle: 2010 4.0 V6 Fortuner 4x4
Club VHF Licence: N/A

Post by Froll »

Hope he learned something from that episode. :shock2:
TOYODA
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '89 YN67R with Ford V6 3.0

Post by TOYODA »

:shock2: WTH!!

What was he thinking....... :?:

No, wait...... :confused:

He wasn't!! :slap:

OUCH!!
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

daai stuk bumper was darem NABY aan sy kop verby !!!
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Ek dink daai ding het hom teen die kop getref maar gelukkig net skrams

Hier tref hy sy hand
Hand.JPG
Hand.JPG (20.29 KiB) Viewed 2460 times
En twee frames later lyk dit of hy hier sy kop tref
Kop.JPG
Kop.JPG (21.2 KiB) Viewed 2460 times
To God be the glory
Thunder02
Town: East Rand
Vehicle: IFS Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC105

Post by Thunder02 »

Just plain crazy and stupid :naah:
Not all those who wander are lost!

Scout motto:be prepared....
www.4x4direct.co.za
Email: boksburg@4x4direct.co.za
IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Thunder02 wrote:Just plain crazy and stupid :naah:
maybe the Amricans are not all that stupid .....

MAYBE 1 or 2 photos of these disasters should be added to the packaging of all snatch straps !! People "see" a recovery, and have no idea of what is at play, then when they get stuck it is just "Balls to wall" and BAMMM !!
Klong se Pa
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: 1995 Isuzu KB280LE 4x4 d/c

Post by Klong se Pa »

Dit is flippen scary.

Net 'n paar millimeter en die ou was dood. Dan was dit 'n fratsongeluk. Frats? Nee!!! Hulle kon mos dink dis gevaarlik om so naby daai tou te staan.

Maar ja, ek weet ons hier op die (en ander forums) probeer verantwoordelik optree, maar by hoeveel ander speelplekke wat julle van weet is dit ook so. Daai paar kere wat die los Jeep so geruk het aan daai tou wys my klaar die manne se opleiding of ervaring laat veel te wense oor.

As 'n kinetiese tou so misbruik word, is dit net 'n voorspel tot moeilikheid. Ek is geleer jy recover een, of op die meeste twee maal met 'n kinetiese tou. As die vasgevalle voertuig dan nog nie los is nie, maak jy 'n ander plan.

Die manne is cowboys, hoop nie ek moet ooit saam sulkes speel nie. Ek wonder sterk of dit 'n alkohol-vrye operasie was.
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Klong se Pa wrote:Dit is flippen scary.

Net 'n paar millimeter en die ou was dood. Dan was dit 'n fratsongeluk. Frats? Nee!!! Hulle kon mos dink dis gevaarlik om so naby daai tou te staan.

Maar ja, ek weet ons hier op die (en ander forums) probeer verantwoordelik optree, maar by hoeveel ander speelplekke wat julle van weet is dit ook so. Daai paar kere wat die los Jeep so geruk het aan daai tou wys my klaar die manne se opleiding of ervaring laat veel te wense oor.

As 'n kinetiese tou so misbruik word, is dit net 'n voorspel tot moeilikheid. Ek is geleer jy recover een, of op die meeste twee maal met 'n kinetiese tou. As die vasgevalle voertuig dan nog nie los is nie, maak jy 'n ander plan.

Die manne is cowboys, hoop nie ek moet ooit saam sulkes speel nie. Ek wonder sterk of dit 'n alkohol-vrye operasie was.
Feite. En eers grou jy die meeste van die sand en dinge voor die aste and wiele weg voor jy begin snatch
To God be the glory
Klong se Pa
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Klong se Pa »

Allthough I've got no formal 4x4-training, and very little experience, my commen scence tells me the following regarding recovery by means of snatching, in no specific order.

1. Try to recover only once or twice, for the elasticity of the rope can be lost, which may cause the rope to break.
2. For the fact that the rope can break, place some means of energy absorbers like empty bags, jackets, floor mats etc. over the rope at each end.
3. For this very same reason, all bystanders and helpers in the nearby vicinity must be a safe distance away from the rope to prevent injury in case the rope snaps.
4. When purchased, every snatch rope should be carrying a specification sheet, with information regarding the maximum pulling force it can perform, as well as the length to which it can be stretched. I would think not more than one-and-a-half times it's normal length.
5. Pull from the recovery vehicle must be exercised as fluent as possible, with no jerks on the rope. Once it is stretched to the recommended length, the recovery vehicle must come to a complete standstill.
6. Never pull at an angle. The two vehicles must at all times be in a straight line to each other.
7. When attaching the rope to the two vehicles, make double sure that the ancor points will be strong enough. Rather use hitching points put on the vehicle by the manufacturer than aftermarket towbars, bumpers or bullbars.
8. Remove as much as possible muck from the stuck vehicle's wheels (sand, rocks, logs, mud etc.) in order to keep the strain on the rope as little as possible.
9. Last but not least. Make use of old common scence, and rather to much than to little caution. In other words: Better be safe than sorry, because allthough a snatch rope is one helluva helpfull recovery accessory, it can also be pretty dangerous if used without caution.
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Klong se Pa wrote:Allthough I've got no formal 4x4-training, and very little experience, my commen scence tells me the following regarding recovery by means of snatching, in no specific order.

1. Try to recover only once or twice, for the elasticity of the rope can be lost, which may cause the rope to break.
2. For the fact that the rope can break, place some means of energy absorbers like empty bags, jackets, floor mats etc. over the rope at each end.
3. For this very same reason, all bystanders and helpers in the nearby vicinity must be a safe distance away from the rope to prevent injury in case the rope snaps.
4. When purchased, every snatch rope should be carrying a specification sheet, with information regarding the maximum pulling force it can perform, as well as the length to which it can be stretched. I would think not more than one-and-a-half times it's normal length.
5. Pull from the recovery vehicle must be exercised as fluent as possible, with no jerks on the rope. Once it is stretched to the recommended length, the recovery vehicle must come to a complete standstill.
6. Never pull at an angle. The two vehicles must at all times be in a straight line to each other.
7. When attaching the rope to the two vehicles, make double sure that the ancor points will be strong enough. Rather use hitching points put on the vehicle by the manufacturer than aftermarket towbars, bumpers or bullbars.
8. Remove as much as possible muck from the stuck vehicle's wheels (sand, rocks, logs, mud etc.) in order to keep the strain on the rope as little as possible.
9. Last but not least. Make use of old common scence, and rather to much than to little caution. In other words: Better be safe than sorry, because allthough a snatch rope is one helluva helpfull recovery accessory, it can also be pretty dangerous if used without caution.
Agree with almost all. The highlighted statement is incorrect though. Those anchor point are not rated for recovery but for strapping the vehicle down and maybe towing. You always want to use a purpose manufactured recovery point attached directly to the chassis and preferably in-line with the chassis.

I also just remembered that there is quite a difference between the kinetic straps and the kinetic ropes. With the straps you must wait a while (can't remember how long it takes to recover but it's quite a while) before doing a second attempt. A rope can be used more than once (so in this case the guys were not abusing it)

The reason is that with a strap, the physical fibers of the strap is elastic and stretch. With a rope, the kinetic action is caused by the weave of the rope. The fibers are not elastic and cannot stretch so they do not need recovery.
To God be the glory
smokintyres
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Windhoek
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 V6, relatively standard; for now...

Post by smokintyres »

CasKru wrote:Daai mater kan @#$@% bly wees hy is nog met ons. Hoop ander kan uit sy foute uit leer
Hy kan bly wees! :blackeye: Dit is as hy nog met ons is, soos jy in die twee frames wys is dit moelik om te se of dit sy kop getref het of nie. Maar hy sou seker lights out gewees het. Lyk ook asof hy meer bekommerd oor sy hand as einige iets anders is. Hy was maar baie baie lucky gewees!!
Wat my bekommerd maak is dat die voertuie ver van standard is. Mens sou gedink het, hulle weet wat hulle doen, maar of hulle het net ter veel geld en niks common sense, of soos genoem was hulle nie heeltemal nugter nie.

Ek hoop net sulke videos wys 'n paar meer mense hoe gevaarlik 'n recovery kan wees as jy nie die reels volg nie. :think:
Klong se Pa
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Klong se Pa »

Thanks Cassie. Never too old to learn. Didn't know one gets ropes and straps, only know the ropes.
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Kyalami
Vehicle: Hilux 2006 3.0D4D 2x4 DC

Post by Mikie »

I know nothing about recovery but its pretty much common sense that you shoudlnt be standing right next to that rope/cable/or whatever you are using to pull.

Even the other guy was too close in my opinion
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Thanks for another great training video! This happens way too often!! Please, can we all learn from this example of utter daftness. Spectators and everybody not involved in recoveries stand as far away as possible.
Klong se Pa wrote:As 'n kinetiese tou so misbruik word, is dit net 'n voorspel tot moeilikheid. Ek is geleer jy recover een, of op die meeste twee maal met 'n kinetiese tou. As die vasgevalle voertuig dan nog nie los is nie, maak jy 'n ander plan.
Not true, the kinetic rope is not being abused in this video, it is not even being used near it's operating capabilities. If it was, the "victim" would not have been alive. As Cassie said, a kinetic rope can be used repeatedly unlike a snatch strap. The proof of this is that the whole bumper failed, not the rope.

Use only rated recovery points on your vehicles that are fitted with proper high tensile steel bolts directly to the chassis. Spread the load over 2 recovery points.

Besides rated points, only use rated equipment. That way you can identify the weakest link in your chain, and apply counter-measures to avoid injury or damage to vehicles.

Use lanyards to absord the kinetic energy of the "missile" should something break off.

I agree with Cassie, the factory fitted points are not designed for this kind of recovery as they are not rated and basically intended for towing the vehicle over flat surfaces. Have the proper stuff fitted.
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...

Return to “Open Discussion”