Wild Coast in a Picanto

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
Tokkie
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Gordons Bay
Vehicle: 1999 Hilux D/C 2.7

Wild Coast in a Picanto

Post by Tokkie »

Im looking for info on the gravel roads between Coffee bay and Mazeppa bay. Myself and the woman are flying to Durban for Indaba in May and looking at driving down the Wild Coast afterwards. Only problem is we have a rental Kia Picanto. We have 7 nights to get from Durban to PE neva been that side of the country so any help will be apreciated.
Image Image
http://www.umkulu.co.za" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.breederiverraftingtours.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.orangeriverrafting.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Wild Coast in a Picanto

Post by Mud Dog »

It's been a while since I have been to either, and with the condition of the roads changing with little or no maintenance, you might want to confirm my comments.

You shouldn't have any hassles getting to Coffee Bay. Turn off at Viedgesville (just a little south of Mthatha / Umtata), otherwise you can go via Qunu (Mandela's birthplace), but that's a longer way round and I think the Viedgesville road is in better condition. Either way, the Picanto should'nt have any problems getting you there ... might just be a little slow going in places. Signposting from the N2 should be no problem.

Getting to Mazeppa may be a little more challenging for the Picanto, but still doable. Road was good for the most part but some seriously potholed / eroded sections that would require slow, careful driving so allow some extra time. The turn-off is just before you enter Butterworth from the north.

All that said, it's worth the effort, very scenic and both beautiful places to visit (pop over to 'Hole in the Wall while you're at Coffee Bay). My comments are not meant to discourage you, just to forewarn you.

Enjoy and remember to take plenty pics that you can include with your report-back once you return. :D: ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

P.S.

Here's a little map which is not correctly orientated nor to scale (a little laterally compressed), but it might help to give you a better idea / perspective. ;-)

wildcoast_map.png
(276.8 KiB) Downloaded 126 times

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
KOBUSL
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: WOLSELEY
Vehicle: '96 HILUX 2.8 HILUX DC 3i BMW 540 RANCHERO UTE 4 Li

Post by KOBUSL »

Tokkie wrote:Im looking for info on the gravel roads between Coffee bay and Mazeppa bay. Myself and the woman are flying to Durban for Indaba in May and looking at driving down the Wild Coast afterwards. Only problem is we have a rental Kia Picanto. We have 7 nights to get from Durban to PE neva been that side of the country so any help will be apreciated.
ANY rental makes a very good off road vehicle. :lol:
Word te vinnig oud en te stadig wys.
Tokkie
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Tokkie »

ANY rental makes a very good off road vehicle. :lol:[/quote]
Ek stem kobus drive it like you stole it
Thanks oom Andy sal baie kiekies neem will I be able to get the picanto on the kei pontoon dont want to drive all the why down that side off the river and then not get over the river
Image Image
http://www.breederiverraftingtours.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.orangeriverrafting.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

The access road to the pontoon is fine, you should have no problem there at all as it's in daily use. :thumbup: ;-)

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Just thinking .........It would be much easier if you were to go back to the N2 at Butterworth and make your way down from there.

If on the other hand you have the time and want to do the scenic back-roads, you would have to take the Kentani turn-off about half way between Mazeppa and Butterworth. From Kentani you would take the Seagulls road ..... Seagulls is also a nice place to stay for a night or two, but if that's not your intention, then you would have to take the "Pont" / "Kei Mouth" turn off about 7 or 8 kilo's before Seagulls ..... That will take you down to the pont.

Once you've crossed the Kei on the pont, you will be in Kei Mouth ..... very much like a rural settlement with some holiday homes, but if you have the spare time, pop over to Morgans Bay (about 15 / 20 mins to the south) ..... It's a really quaint little village with some beautiful vistas .... nice little place to sleep over as well if you want to.

One last important point ...... You cannot use the N2 exit from East London without a permit! That permit is only available from me once you popped in to say HI! :D:

;-)

Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Hi Zak,
Tar road with plenty overnight options along the South coast road until Port Edward. From there is tar to Port St. Johns with overnight options on both sides of the river. From there is tar as far as Umtata/Mthatha, then follow Andy's advice to East London. The ferry at Kei Mouth is operational with about 1/2 to 1 hour waiting time. Kei Mouth & Morgans Bay have various overnight options, then on to Andy in East London. I stay 60 km's from Andy if you want to avoid the coastal Road (King William's Town). PE is 250 km's from King William's Town. I will be away from 2013/05/22 to 2013/06/16.
Edge
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
Froll
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vioolsdrift
Vehicle: 2010 4.0 V6 Fortuner 4x4
Club VHF Licence: N/A

Post by Froll »

Yes Zak, you must enjoy the trip. I have not been to that area since the early 1970 s and it was a beautiful piece of the world. Take lots of pics as that will bring back some great memories for me. Those days some of the south coast places you had to park and walk to some fishing spots. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Haboob wrote:Hi Zak,
Tar road with plenty overnight options along the South coast road until Port Edward. From there is tar to Port St. Johns with overnight options on both sides of the river. From there is tar as far as Umtata/Mthatha, then follow Andy's advice to East London. The ferry at Kei Mouth is operational with about 1/2 to 1 hour waiting time. Kei Mouth & Morgans Bay have various overnight options, then on to Andy in East London. I stay 60 km's from Andy if you want to avoid the coastal Road (King William's Town). PE is 250 km's from King William's Town. I will be away from 2013/05/22 to 2013/06/16.
Edge
Depending on when Zak passes through this way and if he can spare the time, we could perhaps have a "meet-n-greet" over a meal somewhere. :think:

Tokkie
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Tokkie »

Thanks for the help guys really looking forward to the trip and will definitely catch up with you. Andy and Edge if you can pm me your numbers pls. Straight after Wild Coast we are doing Caracal Route up the West Coast :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: with the Hilux thanks Hoppy for the gearboks hy ry soos n droom.
Image Image

Return to “Open Discussion”