Dogs in confined spaces

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Dogs in confined spaces

Post by pietpetoors »

I don't know if it is just me
I think people who hold large dogs like a German Shepherd on a small space (like 400sqm stand of which home takes up 90% of space plus a pool)
are mean and selfish?
Or is there any logical reason why people will do something like that?
Or is it not as bad as I think it is?
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Re: Dogs in confined spaces

Post by CasKru »

Ek stem... daar is darem die versagtende omstandighede waar die eienaars darem gereeld die honde vat om te gaan loop
To God be the glory
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

That is just wrong Pieter.. A big dog needs space to run and expend its energy. If they dont they end up getting frustrated and fat. It is not good for their heath. I LOVE big dogs, but our yard is not big enough for anything bigger than a Fifi doggy.. One day when we move to the Kalahari!!

Even Jorsie, our beagle, gets frustrated with the size of our yard and needs to be walked every evening and twice on weekends.. he DEMANDS it.. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Even Jorsie, our beagle, gets frustrated
Know the feeling :lol:

I am no expert,but you can put dogs in a large cage,but as long as they get the right exercise and training they are OK.
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
dustbuster
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Richards Bay
Vehicle: Rebuilding 91 D/C Hilux Mboza Body, OME 4Y EFI, & 91 S/C 4Y Hilux

Post by dustbuster »

I agree :frustrated: :frustrated: :frustrated: :frustrated:

Our municipality by law states that

a person may not keep any dog on any premises on which a fenced unobstructed enclosure of at
least forty square meter per dog cannot be provided.
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
Club VHF Licence: X122

Post by Donkey »

Someone please take boooma for a walk in the sea :laugh2:
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage
Pote
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Hartbeespoort
Vehicle: Fortuner D4d 4x4 & VW Passat
Club VHF Licence: X228

Post by Pote »

I Agree with the to small spaces for a dog.
I have 4 dogs (1 Bull Terrier, 1 Irish Terrier & 2 Jack Russels)but at least they have a 1200m² yard to run in.
Appart from taking them for walks..
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Offtopic
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

My Neighbours kept one of their German Shepherds in a *very* confined space, some 20m by 1.5m, right next to my bedroom (about 2 metres). This caused the poor dog to howl & bark all night long, many a time I phoned them at 1:00in the morning to complain, until they eventually put the phone on an answering machine. Eventually, I built a new bedroom for me on the opposite side of the house, could not take the lack of sleeping any more as I only averaged 3-4 hours sleep per night and I am one of those guys who really needs my sleep.

The one dog has since died, but I had already spent a great deal of $$ on the new room, so have remained there although this room does tend to get the early morning Sun which also wakes me up!

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

You are a good man Eric.
I will nether go to that extend

I found the best way to teach a dog to shut up is through a bucket of water over the wall. He must nether know where the water comes from. You do it 3 or 4 times and in most cases your problem disappeared. Not even much water, about 2 or 3 cups is more than enough.

But to come back to the original post, why on earth would people want to keep such animals if they going to lock them up in such a small space.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Family_Dog wrote:My Neighbours kept one of their German Shepherds in a *very* confined space, some 20m by 1.5m, right next to my bedroom (about 2 metres). This caused the poor dog to howl & bark all night long, many a time I phoned them at 1:00in the morning to complain, until they eventually put the phone on an answering machine. Eventually, I built a new bedroom for me on the opposite side of the house, could not take the lack of sleeping any more as I only averaged 3-4 hours sleep per night and I am one of those guys who really needs my sleep.

The one dog has since died, but I had already spent a great deal of $$ on the new room, so have remained there although this room does tend to get the early morning Sun which also wakes me up!

-F_D
I feel SORRY for "problem" animals ... WISH it was legal to put down PROBLEM OWNERS !
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

I feel SORRY for "problem" animals ... WISH it was legal to put down PROBLEM OWNERS !
:thumbup: +1
FJCruiser-ZN
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Durban
Vehicle: FJ Cruiser 4.0 V6 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X224

Post by FJCruiser-ZN »

Shooo my poodles are spoilt, they have 2000sq/m of terraced grass to play on.
T
If you don't own an FJ Cruiser you probably won't understand...
Until we meet on a dusty road someday, somewhere, keep on Cruisering....
2013 FJ Cruiser 4.0 V6 4x4 AT
2012 Jurgen's Xcape
Gideonvanzyl
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux 2.7 D/C 4x4

Post by Gideonvanzyl »

Maybe they keep the dog / dogs for security reasons, the larger and more aggressive the dog the better to keep the thieves away. I can't think of any other reason. I agree it's cruel to keep such a large dog in such a small space, especially if the owner do not give the dog or dogs much attention. However, you get people that will treat their dogs better than they would treat a human. The dog might be alone by day in a small area but when the owner gets home the good life begins.
Toyota Hilux 2.7 Legend 35 (Bullnose) 2003 d/cab 4x4 with Cooper Discoverer AT 3's on with unichip and Powerflow exhaust. Name: Blouwillebees
kfxnando
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Germiston
Vehicle: Ford V6 3.4 Courrier soon to be powered by Yamaha!! Jeep GC 4.7 V8, Aygo broken traded for a Kia Picanto.2ex, 2012 Jeep GC 5.7 V8 Ovrrland

Post by kfxnando »

pietpetoors wrote:I don't know if it is just me
I think people who hold large dogs like a German Shepherd on a small space (like 400sqm stand of which home takes up 90% of space plus a pool)
are mean and selfish?
Or is there any logical reason why people will do something like that?
Or is it not as bad as I think it is?
pietpetoors wrote:
:thumbup: +1
+1

Had a similar issue, however it was 1 house away, Boerboel locked up in a 2m x 9m every weekend and sometimes during the week and I work shifts and also need my beuty sleep in the mornings

spoke to them, phoned them confronted them, eventually took the attitude of there is many ways to skin a cat
and I never said I was a nice person
and love all animals and no animals were hurt in making my point
:laugh2:

however in the mean time they built another house on their property about 150 shares with a zink roof
what a great target for a ketty in the middle of the night
then started to dump my rubbish along their wall, and even some of it over
A lot of take ways rubbish
it looked bad
people aroundI here commenting how dirty those people were

Remember I never said I was a nice person

Then If I had to go into work on a call out late at night or early hrs of the morning
a cracker by the Windows of the new house
and I don't do the fire works things, however desperate times calls for desperate measures

put out adverts on lamp poles with their number

if I can't be at peace, neither will they, it's not the dogs fault it's the owners fault

there were times where I saw them trying hard to clean the mess, when we bought a new flat screen put the box outside his house, attracts attention
We used to hoot when driving past his house

eventually after the last talk/confrontation
he accusea me of the crackers the rubbish and the stoning of his roof :laugh2:
I asked him did you see me??

He promised to keep his dog quiet, the rubbish went away, the stunning of the roof stopped as the big bangs at night

dog is quiet, and we allI live in peace

However it took years to come to this point

dog right next door, try feeding him, worked with the idiots small dog at the back

I never said I am a nice person
push me me and I will bite back

woof woof :lmao: :laugh2:
http://www.youtube.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://community.webshots.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/kfxnando/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

I found the best way to teach a dog to shut up is through a bucket of water over the wall. He must nether know where the water comes from. You do it 3 or 4 times and in most cases your problem disappeared. Not even much water, about 2 or 3 cups is more than enough.
I did just that at 6:00 one morning, using my dogs' metal water bowl. Only thing is I filled it and heaved the whole lot over the concrete wall. Imagine my surprise when the dish glipped out of my hands and followed the water over the wall.

As I wondered how the hell am I going to get it back, I heard someone begin to laugh... the neighbour from across the road had just entered my neighbour's yard to feed their dogs while they were away (hence the barking). The water splashed all over him :siffler: :siffler: :siffler:

But he took it in good style and gave me my dogs' water dish back, one of those pricey big stainless steel ones.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

JEEPIE
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Official hilux 4x4 club recovery vehicle
Club VHF Licence: X 43

Post by JEEPIE »

what about housing 2-3 husky's on a small area ?
OFFICIAL HILUX 4x4 RECOVERY VEHICLE

if you want to change this to recovered , first recover me - and have a relevant picture / foto to prove it !
ADVANCED 4x4 DRIVER COURSES DONE : US 254135 / US 254154
(STILL AWAITING SO-CALLED TETA CERTIFICATION VIA THE SERVICE PROVIDER AFRICAN OFF-ROAD ACADEMY - WHAT A JOKE)
Rianc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2.8GD6 Double CabHilux 4X4

Post by Rianc »

My Pug was very fond of water. Years ago when I stayed in a duplex complex with a small 60 sqr garden with only a four ft fence surrounding. The big fat lady next door tried this water throwing idea but backfired. The dog was not barking because op space or food, since he had 24/7 access to the house. However was barking at this women to drown him a water flush. The only time he started barking was when she came out of the back door to water her garden and the dog could not wait to get watered! When ever she turned the hose of he started to bark again. Even late at night when she went out for a smoke on the stoep, she had to turn on the water for him to play. He loved her for this, she hated him and moved.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Rianc wrote:My Pug was very fond of water. Years ago when I stayed in a duplex complex with a small 60 sqr garden with only a four ft fence surrounding. The big fat lady next door tried this water throwing idea but backfired. The dog was not barking because op space or food, since he had 24/7 access to the house. However was barking at this women to drown him a water flush. The only time he started barking was when she came out of the back door to water her garden and the dog could not wait to get watered! When ever she turned the hose of he started to bark again. Even late at night when she went out for a smoke on the stoep, she had to turn on the water for him to play. He loved her for this, she hated him and moved.
you gotta LOVE animals :)

NICE story !!!!
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Big dogs = heavier feeding and maintenance costs, so it has to be a deliberate choice which given the state of our crime problem must surely be security. This was initially my motivation, but I got so fond of the breed and their protective, loving nature that I have three of them.

That said, on my 1853 sq.m stand they have plenty space to play and chase each other, but I agree that it's unfair and even cruel to the animals when they're confined in too small an area, especially if they're not taken out for walks or a run in the park / on the beach.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “Open Discussion”