Petrol vs diesel

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
GMan
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Toyota

Petrol vs diesel

Post by GMan »

Hi there !
I am new to the forum and I do not own a bakkie.. Yet. I am in the market for a 3.0 d4d xtra or single cab. Cannot afford a new one, so I will have to buy second hand. Have seen an xtra cab 2011 for R199000 but the petrol vs diesel is bugging me. I had a 2.8 TDi Colt Rodeo and never had any problems but the Hilux I am looking at has 180000 km on the clock. Just not sure what to do. Any opinions ?

Gerrie
Baasvark
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Virginia
Vehicle: '97 D/C with all the trimmings & 2011 Troopy

Re: Petrol vs diesel

Post by Baasvark »

180 000km on a hilux is just run in - if the previous owner looked after it properly.
Don't think you should have any problems. Mate of mine bought his 2007 model with similar mileage and it's still going strong!
Aint it ironic that "Common Sense" aint so common after all...
TOYODA
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '89 YN67R with Ford V6 3.0

Post by TOYODA »

Hi Gerrie,

Do a search an the forum for "what mileage on your Hilux", or sent an PM to antlo69 (Antonie) on the forum.
Antonie had/has a 4x2 D4D with a lot of mileage on the clock.
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
Club VHF Licence: X122

Post by Donkey »

Drove petrol since my first car. My bakkie was my first diesel, I'm hooked and doubt I'd ever buy a petrol bakkie. Also depends what your application will be for the bakkie. Diesel = torque, petrol = speed, though with technology today's diesels can be quick, but it's something I still can't wrap my head around.
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage
JEEPIE
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Official hilux 4x4 club recovery vehicle
Club VHF Licence: X 43

Post by JEEPIE »

i have a 2.5 d4d
stay in roodepoort
if you wanna tet it give me a shout
OFFICIAL HILUX 4x4 RECOVERY VEHICLE

if you want to change this to recovered , first recover me - and have a relevant picture / foto to prove it !
ADVANCED 4x4 DRIVER COURSES DONE : US 254135 / US 254154
(STILL AWAITING SO-CALLED TETA CERTIFICATION VIA THE SERVICE PROVIDER AFRICAN OFF-ROAD ACADEMY - WHAT A JOKE)
4ePikanini
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: East London - Thorn Park
Vehicle: Touareg R5 TDi

Post by 4ePikanini »

Buy the best condition one. Both engines are bullet proof although the petrol is much thirstier than the diesel.
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Gerrie, The D4D 3.0 S/C only came out in 2010 so they are scarce and will only start becomming available next yeat in about March when the Service Plan is depleted. The D4D 2.5 was available a lot longer, but still the S/C is a lot more scarce than the D/C. Cab and 1/2 only became available after 2010 (I think) so could be more scarce/harder to obtain.
This depends what you want to use the vehicle for. You have not elaborated in your post. Do you need the Power/Speed, and what are you going to use the vehicle for.
Will it be running empty all the time or will it be fully loaded for expeditions. The answer to these questions will determine what vehicle you will purchase.
Probably your biggest factor to take into consideration is the cost of the vehicle you are purchasing. IF YOU LOOK LONG ENOUGH YOU WILL FIND WHAT FITS THE BUDGET.
If you are in a hurry then you must find the best buy at the best price.
Before buying you can get the VIN number and check the service history at any Toyota dealer that will help you to see what faults were rectified on the vehicle before laying out your hard spent cash.
This will not always give an indication of any hidden problem, but usually the previous owner would have taken it in to try and rectify the problem before selling.
When he sees that it is not covered by the warranty, then he will try and get rid of his problem.
Good luck in your search.
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
GMan
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by GMan »

Hi,
Thanx for all the comments. I want to use the bakkie mainly for longer trips and then it will mostly be loaded. As a rule I do not drive very fast, 120 km/h being more than adequate. The D4D that I was looking at only has a service history up to 90000 km, thereafter nothing. For all practical purposes it is possible that it was not well looked after. It is a 2011 model which means that it did more than 40000 km per year which is quite a lot, but that would not have been a problem if it was properly maintained ( I think..)
I am planning to do my first trip next year July to Vic falls, so I have a bit of time to look around. Only pain in the backside is that I sold my Camry and Corolla and now have to use my "gatsaag" (bicycle) to get to work and back or use the wife's car. Fortunately I live less than 2 km from work.
G
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear

Post by Donkey »

If you do that route twice daily(as in going to work then back home and repeating :laugh2: ), you'd be ready for next year's Argus while waiting to get your truck. :mocking:
Tumelo Maketekete
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

ImageImage
GMan
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by GMan »

If all goes well I should have my first Hilux by next week Wednesday ! I ride my bicycle , but I do believe that the internal combustion engine is here to stay... As for the Argus, I did that on A motorbike the last two years. I was part of the tv crew that was responsible for the broadcast.
yotaman
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Hartenbos Western Cape
Vehicle: '99 2.7i Hilux 4x4 S/C

Post by yotaman »

With the older Hilux's, the petrol engines outlast the diesels by far. They thirsty but they don't break! New Hiluxes, the petrol engines in my opinion will still outlast the diesels but not by such a huge margin. The D4D is very good and definitely a good choice, and definitely lighter on fuel than the petrol engines but its the petrol that will still have the edge afa longevity is concerned. In summary: Toyota petrol engines are thirsty, slow (especially the older versions) but they do not break and they do outlast the diesels save perhaps for the the old stalwart 2.4 diesel which is most probably the best diesel ever! .., slow,sluggish,noisy,smelly but it simply "never say die"
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world.

Albert Einstein
Rianc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2.8GD6 Double CabHilux 4X4

Post by Rianc »

Ek begin my rug op 'n plooi te trek! Eks was petrol lover en wou nie oorskakel diesel toe nie, tot die dag dat 'n 3d4d my gat geskop het met my 2001 Hilux DC 4x2, nogals robot to robot! My lied het toe verander en vir my 'n 4x4 2007 DC Hilux in die driveway gepark. Ek was verstom oor die ekonomie en gemak. Na 6 jaar se gebruik en 170 00km het ek 'n fantastiese inruil waarde gekry! Ek het nie een dag se problem gehad met die diesel nie!
GMan
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by GMan »

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418096016.861279.jpg
(129.64 KiB) Downloaded 306 times
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418095991.539772.jpg
(121.09 KiB) Downloaded 306 times
So I got a Hilux 3 D4D, 2011 model with 110000 on the clock. Don't you think that canopy is just awesome ?!? Now the RTT, Fridge, long range tank etc. Where do I start ?
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Congrats - that canopy really is something!!

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

4x4BEES
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0V6

Post by 4x4BEES »

Awesome :thumbup: :thumbup:

Congratulations :yahoo: :yahoo:
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Strand WC
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4, 2.41t Raider 1998 DC - front & rear difflock, 140lt fuel tank, 31" BFG a/t, snorkel, drawer system, alucab canopy, driver with attitude.
Club VHF Licence: X112

Post by GI Jane »

As to where to start (besides the sky being the limit)...... definitely a fridge to keep the food and drinks cold, and if you intend going to more remote areas, a long range fuel tank, particularly I would imagine if you are using 50 ppm... not always available in remote areas. The roof top tent, their is lots of factors to consider whether it is the best option.... worth looking into the pros and cons of them before making a final decision...

Congratulations on a very good looking vehicle. Hope you have years and years of good memories and trips in it...
Derren
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2001 Hilux KZ-TE D/C

Post by Derren »

Congratulations! Many happy kilometres.

That canopy is cool! very interesting, very nice.
Toyota Hilux D/C KZ-TE 2001
TJM Bumper, TJM XGS Suspension (with Bilstein shocks), Gomad Alu-Canopy, Snorkel, Chip & Intercooler, Dual Battery
Hyundai ix35 2.0 2011

Four Wheel Drive Club - Western Cape
Hilux4x4.co.za Club
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Haboob »

Congrats, very very nice. You gave no indication of the costs involved...
Rebel 4x4
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2020 Toyota Fortuner GD-6 4x4 Auto

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

Rianc wrote:Ek begin my rug op 'n plooi te trek! Eks was petrol lover en wou nie oorskakel diesel toe nie, tot die dag dat 'n 3d4d my gat geskop het met my 2001 Hilux DC 4x2, nogals robot to robot! My lied het toe verander en vir my 'n 4x4 2007 DC Hilux in die driveway gepark. Ek was verstom oor die ekonomie en gemak. Na 6 jaar se gebruik en 170 00km het ek 'n fantastiese inruil waarde gekry! Ek het nie een dag se problem gehad met die diesel nie!
Het jy hom nuut gekoop?
Sent from my iPhone
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Haboob »

So I got a Hilux 3 D4D, 2011 model with 110000 on the clock. Don't you think that canopy is just awesome ?!? Now the RTT, Fridge, long range tank etc. Where do I start ?

Where do I start ?
You want to use it for long trips , Overlanding.
See what you are likely to need the most. I think that somewhere you said you were going to Namibia?
You will only need a Long Range Tank if you will be doing the route along the Kunene and over van Zyl's Pass, Marienfluss Puros to Sesfontein.
All other places are within your range in Namibia.
Next, do you have a tent? If so you can use that. If not you must decide if you want a RTT or a fridge/freezer.
Whatever you decide, buy the best that you can afford, rather than trying to do everything at once.
Do without something this time, so that you can buy the best that you will need, of whatever you buy...Be it a fridge/freezer or a RTT.
Of course this is only applicable if you are sure that this is the type of holidays you will be having for a long time to come...otherwise it will cost you dearly.
You see a lot of caravans/camper trailers, etc advertised as : used only once or three times, etc. You & your spouse should start cheaply until you are sure that this type of thing will be enjoyed by both of you. The other thing is, the more trouble it is to do(the more work yoyu have to put in) the less you are likely to WANT to do it again or often...
Happy shopping...
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

Congregations!
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
Masekind
Town: Lichtenburg
Vehicle: 2005 Hilux 4x4 v6, LR tank, ARB Bumper. (iJzer)

Post by Masekind »

Baie nice
If you don’t build your dreams someone else will hire you to build there’s
GMan
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by GMan »

Rebel 4x4 wrote:
Rianc wrote:Ek begin my rug op 'n plooi te trek! Eks was petrol lover en wou nie oorskakel diesel toe nie, tot die dag dat 'n 3d4d my gat geskop het met my 2001 Hilux DC 4x2, nogals robot to robot! My lied het toe verander en vir my 'n 4x4 2007 DC Hilux in die driveway gepark. Ek was verstom oor die ekonomie en gemak. Na 6 jaar se gebruik en 170 00km het ek 'n fantastiese inruil waarde gekry! Ek het nie een dag se problem gehad met die diesel nie!
Het jy hom nuut gekoop?
Nope, die goed is nuut bo my vuurmaakplek. Ek het R230 000 betaal, wat vir my nog steeds wild is, maar hy is darem in 'n goeie toestand en ek het 'n 220000 km/ 6 jaar waarborg gekry wat seker ook iets werd is.
GMan
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by GMan »

Haboob wrote:So I got a Hilux 3 D4D, 2011 model with 110000 on the clock. Don't you think that canopy is just awesome ?!? Now the RTT, Fridge, long range tank etc. Where do I start ?

Where do I start ?
You want to use it for long trips , Overlanding.
See what you are likely to need the most. I think that somewhere you said you were going to Namibia?
You will only need a Long Range Tank if you will be doing the route along the Kunene and over van Zyl's Pass, Marienfluss Puros to Sesfontein.
All other places are within your range in Namibia.
Next, do you have a tent? If so you can use that. If not you must decide if you want a RTT or a fridge/freezer.
Whatever you decide, buy the best that you can afford, rather than trying to do everything at once.
Do without something this time, so that you can buy the best that you will need, of whatever you buy...Be it a fridge/freezer or a RTT.
Of course this is only applicable if you are sure that this is the type of holidays you will be having for a long time to come...otherwise it will cost you dearly.
You see a lot of caravans/camper trailers, etc advertised as : used only once or three times, etc. You & your spouse should start cheaply until you are sure that this type of thing will be enjoyed by both of you. The other thing is, the more trouble it is to do(the more work yoyu have to put in) the less you are likely to WANT to do it again or often...
Happy shopping...
Thank you, these comments are just what I needed. I was offered a RTT on loan so we will be able to see whether we like it or not. I think I will also start with a gazebo with sides to use as a shelter/awning. I am going to attempt to build a drawer system and buy just a fridge/freezer and water tank for now. Will keep you posted and stay in contact for tips..
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Haboob »

Gerrie, you're welcome. Enjoy...
GMan
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by GMan »

I found a second hand Eezi Awn rtt for R1300 ! Need to maybe replace the mattress but otherwise in great condition. The only thing missing is a ladder. Does anybody have an old one lying around that I can buy ? Seems wrong to pay more for a ladder than what I paid for the tent! Not that I have a hell of a lot of that left after installing that long range tank..
rayray
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Brackendowns
Vehicle: Fortuner & Hardbody
Club VHF Licence: X197

Post by rayray »

I've got one you can have if u can collect in Alberton or Randburg. Its metal square tubing. I took it off and replaced with one that is aluminium
GMan
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by GMan »

Appreciate it ! How do I get hold of you ?

Return to “Open Discussion”