When does a Hilux stop being a Hilux?

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

I posted this on the Hilux4x4.co.za Facebook group... Some heated debate is expected there, as those guys dont hold their punches like you guys here on the Forum... But this is an interesting question, and I guess we can get some interesting responses here too...

Listen to the scenario below and give you honest opinion.

You buy a Hilux (new or used doesnt matter, you still pay premium because of the good resale value)... First thing you do is fit an aftermarket suspension..(OME, Ironman, Tough Dog whatever).

After a while the rims go and you fit a snazzy set of A-Line mags and some even snazzier tyres (low profile/muds/A/T's whatever)...
You decide to rip out the headlight bulbs and replace with HID or similar aftermarket kit because one night on a dark side road you almost hit a guy on a bicycle..

You dent/scratch the bumper doing a light trail and decide to replace with ARB/TJM/Onca/Whatever bumper. They also throw in a set of rock sliders, as well as a rear bumper/towbar for a special price... More Hilux parts gone...

Your mates talk you into doing an upgrade to the engine... You decide to put in a chip (overriding Toyota's electronics which are now basically used to control the window winders and the ABS) and also replace the exhaust and cats with an aftermarket free flow system.

The chip and other upgrades do not tickle your fancy and you replace the engine with something else. Not a Hilux engine, Lexus v8, Ford V6, Isuzu V6, Lumina V8 or whatever. This leads to all sorts of upgrades, like side shafts, diffs, gearboxes and transfer cases. Mostly with non Hilux stuff....

At this stage basically the only real Hilux stuff left over are the body panels and the seats??? It looks like a Hilux but is it still a Hilux??

This is an extreme scenario, I admit, but believe it or not, there are people who do this, and they are here on this page...
There is nothing wrong with modifications to your vehicle if it is going to satisfy your needs, that is not what this post is about...
We are not going to go into long discussions about the advantages and disadvantages. We want to know:
AT WHAT STAGE DURING YOUR MODIFICATION EXERCISE DOES A HILUX STOP BEING A HILUX??
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Thunder02
Town: East Rand
Vehicle: IFS Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC105

Re: When does a Hilux stop being a Hilux?

Post by Thunder02 »

To me, a hilux is not a hilux when you have taken it's heart out and replaced it with an other brand engine.
Not all those who wander are lost!

Scout motto:be prepared....
www.4x4direct.co.za
Email: boksburg@4x4direct.co.za
IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!
antlo69
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Pretoria North
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 D-4D, leveling kit, 17" with A/T BFg's, sadly stil some Tupperware, wish list growing by the day

Post by antlo69 »

For me these things gets to me:
Low profile 20" mags.
Autostyle chrome grills
Fake air scoops
None Toyota engine.
"Must be a Toyota, must be a diesel and must run on BFG's"
Hilux 1
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: 2011 Raider 4x4 Double cab 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC137

Post by Hilux 1 »

Thunder02 wrote:To me, a hilux is not a hilux when you have taken it's heart out and replaced it with an other brand engine.
+1000000
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

So the drivetrain then, Neil? But the suspension is also an integral part of the vehicle and its offroad capability?
Thys de Jager

Houkswyn
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Parow
Vehicle: Fortuner 4.0 V6 4X4

Post by Houkswyn »

I would say when the drivetrain has been changed.

I would even go as far as saying its not a hilux when a non hilux engine is fitted, even if it is a toyota engine.
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Ek sien dit so. Ek is ek. Of ek nou 'n been verloor, in 'n rolstoel is, met krikke loop, vol tattoos is, 'n heup vervanging gehad het, vet is , maer is, 'n hart oor planting gehad het, lewer of niere, of ek tekkies of plakkies dra... ek bly ek.

'n Hilux bly 'n Hilux alhoewel jy dalk net nie meer so 'n betroubare Hilux het na al die mods nie.
To God be the glory
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

CasKru wrote:Ek sien dit so. Ek is ek. Of ek nou 'n been verloor, in 'n rolstoel is, met krikke loop, vol tattoos is, 'n heup vervanging gehad het, vet is , maer is, 'n hart oor planting gehad het, lewer of niere, of ek tekkies of plakkies dra... ek bly ek.

'n Hilux bly 'n Hilux alhoewel jy dalk net nie meer so 'n betroubare Hilux het na al die mods nie.
Okay Cassie... maar as jy 'n breinoorplanting gehad het en 'n hartoorplanting... is jy nog jy?? Of lyk jy nog net nog soos jy?? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

Derren
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2001 Hilux KZ-TE D/C

Post by Derren »

As long as the body still looks like a Hilux then it's a Hilux..

.. although changing the engine is a grey area.
Toyota Hilux D/C KZ-TE 2001
TJM Bumper, TJM XGS Suspension (with Bilstein shocks), Gomad Alu-Canopy, Snorkel, Chip & Intercooler, Dual Battery
Hyundai ix35 2.0 2011

Four Wheel Drive Club - Western Cape
Hilux4x4.co.za Club
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

If Toyota wanted to, and were willing to drop their profit, they too could fit a superduper suspension to their 4x4s. But, to keep production costs in check, they fit a pretty basic suspension setup that just makes the grade... so for me a suspension upgrade is all in order. When the engine gets changed... the heart beat of the vehicle is changed!

Maar ja... I haven't seen an oke's personality change after a heart transplant... haha! I say... do what makes you happy! You want a Ford V6 in... then put a Ford V6 in... who said you can't?

Ok... so if the chassis is Toyota... then it's still a Toyota!
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Maklik!

Waneer die liksens papiere nie meer 'Hilux' lees nie!
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Mr_B wrote:If Toyota wanted to, and were willing to drop their profit, they too could fit a superduper suspension to their 4x4s. But, to keep production costs in check, they fit a pretty basic suspension setup that just makes the grade... so for me a suspension upgrade is all in order. When the engine gets changed... the heart beat of the vehicle is changed!

Maar ja... I haven't seen an oke's personality change after a heart transplant... haha! I say... do what makes you happy! You want a Ford V6 in... then put a Ford V6 in... who said you can't?

That is basically what it boils down to. In other words, if you find a vehicle in a parking lot, how do you determine what vehicle it is?
To God be the glory
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

CasKru wrote:
Mr_B wrote:If Toyota wanted to, and were willing to drop their profit, they too could fit a superduper suspension to their 4x4s. But, to keep production costs in check, they fit a pretty basic suspension setup that just makes the grade... so for me a suspension upgrade is all in order. When the engine gets changed... the heart beat of the vehicle is changed!

That is basically what it boils down to. In other words, if you find a vehicle in a parking lot, how do you determine what vehicle it is?
Get under it and inspect the chassis! :lol:

Honestly... who cares? Some okes love modifying the cr@p out their vehicles... be it VW, Toyota, Audo, Landy...

Here's an example...

It's called a VW Taro... but we all know it's a Hilux!
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Oh.... an Audo is a heavily modified Audi!

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Cosmetic changes like after-market rims/tyres, front/rear bumpers etc have no bearing in this debate IMO.

Almost all vehicles that are applied off-road undergo a suspension change/upgrade, the standard units being more for road use and the street legality thereof in some European countries - and as Bretton mentioned, production costs. So no real debate there either.

Looks like the general consensus is that things change when a non Hilux motor conversion is done, but to me it still doesn't mean it's not a Hilux .... more like a hybrid.

Generally I think we buy these vehicles because we know that they are built tough, and that goes way beyond the power plant, although a motor conversion could likely affect the reliability that the Hilux is so well known for.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
ôita
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Piet Retief
Vehicle: 1994 Toyota Hilux D/cab 4x4 SFA, 3RZ conversion,TrailGear Duel Transfercase with 4.7gear,Front & Rear Difflocks,2" Lift,OME & Mikem Suspention,Snorkel,L/R fuel tank, 32" M/T tyres, my son in the passenger seat

Post by ôita »

Vir my sê ek wanneer die enjin en/of drivetrain verander word.Hoe kan dit nog 'n Hilux wees as altwee vervang is? Dit lyk vir my of meeste ouens daardie siening het of gaan hê.....Ek sien gladnie fout daarmee as suspensie,wiele,bullbars,tanks,EFI's/carbs ens. geruil word nie....
"Stronger than a New Zealand Kauri tree and, as we found out, virtually indestructible, the Hilux is an unapologetically manly car." - Top Gear Verdict
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Mud Dog wrote:Cosmetic changes like after-market rims/tyres, front/rear bumpers etc have no bearing in this debate IMO.

Almost all vehicles that are applied off-road undergo a suspension change/upgrade, the standard units being more for road use and the street legality thereof in some European countries - and as Bretton mentioned, production costs. So no real debate there either.

Looks like the general consensus is that things change when a non Hilux motor conversion is done, but to me it still doesn't mean it's not a Hilux .... more like a hybrid.

Generally I think we buy these vehicles because we know that they are built tough, and that goes way beyond the power plant, although a motor conversion could likely affect the reliability that the Hilux is so well known for.
By the same token Andy, changing any part on the vehicle to an aftermarket one could have a detrimental effect on reliablity and longevity... oil pump, alternator, oil filter, fuel pump... etc, etc... at least thats what Toyota would have us believe! What Toyota don't say is that the vast majority of these auxillary OEM parts are made by 3rd parties anyways!
Obelix and Dogmatix
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: ROODEPOORT
Vehicle: HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix, donated to some clown, HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix II Onca front and rear Amade extreme Suspension and under water breathing apparatus

Post by Obelix and Dogmatix »

Thunder02 wrote:To me, a hilux is not a hilux when you have taken it's heart out and replaced it with an other brand engine.
Exactly what i said on the face book page give or take a word or two
Rules are there to make you think before you break them!!!
God made man before
woman so as to give him time
to think of an answer
for her first question
COMMON SENCE IS NOT A GIFT, IT IS A PUNISHMENT!! BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO DEAL WITH EVERYONE WHO DOES NOT HAVE IT!!!
Obelix and Dogmatix
Vehicle: HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix, donated to some clown, HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix II Onca front and rear Amade extreme Suspension and under water breathing apparatus

ThysdJ wrote:
CasKru wrote:Ek sien dit so. Ek is ek. Of ek nou 'n been verloor, in 'n rolstoel is, met krikke loop, vol tattoos is, 'n heup vervanging gehad het, vet is , maer is, 'n hart oor planting gehad het, lewer of niere, of ek tekkies of plakkies dra... ek bly ek.

Okay Cassie... maar as jy 'n breinoorplanting gehad het en 'n hartoorplanting... is jy nog jy?? Of lyk jy nog net nog soos jy?? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
like +1,

Ek sien Thys se hout leppel is uit en in die pot vandag :lmao:
Last edited by Obelix and Dogmatix on Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
God made man before
to think of an answer
for her first question
COMMON SENCE IS NOT A GIFT, IT IS A PUNISHMENT!! BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO DEAL WITH EVERYONE WHO DOES NOT HAVE IT!!!
Obelix and Dogmatix

So if you put in a engine of a different pedigree, say a fix or repair daily (ford) v6 (don't know why you would want to do that??) would you still take it to a Toyota garage to repair? or more likely a back yard mechanic that is willing to work on the hybrid as someone said higher up??
God made man before
to think of an answer
for her first question
Die$eL
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Midrand
Vehicle: 06' Hilux 3.0 D4D 4X4

Post by Die$eL »

Why specifically Hilux? This question would apply to any and all vehicles...

There is more to a vehicle that just the engine/gearbox/suspension

drive train, shell, interior, electronics (adding a chip only changes boost, ignition timing and fueling, there is still alot the ECU does) etc.

i'd say the vehicle itself remains a Hilux but the parts which are changed are not...
Real drivers use three pedals
antlo69
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Pretoria North
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 D-4D, leveling kit, 17" with A/T BFg's, sadly stil some Tupperware, wish list growing by the day

Post by antlo69 »

Ek dink 'n mens moet jouself die vraag vra, wat beteken dit vir my om 'n Hilux te besit? Vir my gaan dit oor meer as net betroubaarheid, inruil waarde ens ens. Vir my gaan dit oor wat ek kan doen met my Hilux.

Die ander dag was daar 'n man by my wat sy Hilux "gedrop" het en hy kruip oor die spoed walletjies. Daai Hilux sal in sy lewe nooit 'n grondpad eers sien nie en nog minder 'n bietjie gewig laai. So vir my is dit 'n platkar met Hilux badge.

Ek het al baie gespreke gehad om 'n kampvuur oor die onderwerp en baie was al gese oor IFS vs. SFA, m-*-f-f-i-e knoppies vs. OLD school manual elbow grease ens ens. Maar ons hier op die Forum gaan ons Hilux's anders gebruik as die drywer van ons geliefde Eskom in hulle platkar Hilux.

As n man 'n 1987 Hilux het en sy engin is gedan, hy het toegang op n goedkoop Ford V6 en kan nie iets anders soos Lexus bekostig nie laat hom dit doen, dis sy Hilux, sy keuse en hy betaal vir dit.

Ek vir een het een groot reel....geen pirate parte meer in my Hilux nie.
"Must be a Toyota, must be a diesel and must run on BFG's"
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

If it's yours, call it what you like... You pay the bills and remain responsible for the consequenses there-of...
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
Thunder02

Post by Thunder02 »

The other thing that also alters the vehicle is if you want a 4x4 machine for obstacles or an overlander, most Hiluxs can be used for overlanding without much mods.
So is a over modified 4x4 machine still a hilux and should Toyota get the credit :?:

Thys, I think you scratching were it does on itch :twisted:

:laugh2:

:surrender:

www.4x4direct.co.za
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Strand WC
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4, 2.41t Raider 1998 DC - front & rear difflock, 140lt fuel tank, 31" BFG a/t, snorkel, drawer system, alucab canopy, driver with attitude.
Club VHF Licence: X112

Post by GI Jane »

I think when you replace the engine with a non-hilux engine then it is no longer a hilux...... Those that attempt to sell Hilux's with anything but Hilux engines in them, mostly recommend putting the old Hilux engine back in the vehicle, because they do not sell readily with other non-hilux engines..... so I would think that the general (ie I said general), consensus I would say from the population, is that the engine that is running the body and its attachments is what defines the vehicle.... I.M.O. :cooldude: :cooldude: :cooldude:

And yes Thys, you and I have had this debate a number of times before. eg. If you took your Jeepie engine out of that body and put a Hilux engine in it.... well then you would have another Hilux disguised as a Jeep....
DawidT
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Witbank
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux, 2.5D4D, DC 4X4

Post by DawidT »

Eish, I was hoping to get my hands on an ex Geniel de Villiers, Dakar model........ now it not a Hilux anymore..... :shock: Sal maar n stock standard, ware Hilux koop.... :twisted:

Would you call your highly modified vehicle after the most expensive part fitted to it....??? :?

Very interesting topic :thumbup:
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

Customizing or enhancing a vehicles capabilities to suit your specific needs doesn't mean you're changing it's name, it still stays a Hilux or whatever, it only means you are not one of the masses, you don't want to walk out of the mall and search for the correct licence plate, your vehicle has to stand out, it has to look the part and have superior capabilities, even swapping the motor for a different brand won't change it's identity.There are a many 110's, Jeep Cherokees and Range Rovers with Lexus V8's, Wranglers with Chevy V8's and Toyota Diesels etc. The main reason that there is so many Hiluxes with other engines is that the rest of the vehicle lasts so long and is still in good nick, but the engines becomes outdated, the same can be said for the Jeep Wrangler/CJ. The Dakar hilux Giniel drives (not the one with the chrome and stickers) has a modified Lexus V8 engine, (not Toyota) as toyota insists that Lexus uses no toyota parts, the frame is a tubular racing unit with all imported custom built suspension hubs and axle, the gearbox are built by a french company, but the composite body resembles a Hilux and it has the badge. Some engine manufacturers supply there engines to different makes, like Iveco that suplies the WL aka 2.5 and 3.0 Ford/Mazda engines, the Yaris shares it's engine with Peugeot and Citroen, in the eighties, Toyota Lancruiser used ADE engines and Yamaha still supplies the High performance Toyota engines, in the states Cumins supplies almost all diesel engines, rumor has it that the new Toyota Tundra will run with a Cumins engine, Landrover used there own, Rover, Jaguar, Mercedes, and now some Tata engine built by Peugeot. Jeep used Iveco and Mercedes diesel engines and the same v8's found in some Chryslers and Jeep manual boxes are suplied by AISAN (Toyota), the list goes on and on. So i think it's fair to say that the power plant is also not the "heart and soul" of a vehicle.
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
Kaspaas
Town: Wellington
Vehicle: 1998 Land Cruiser 105series GX

Post by Kaspaas »

@Andy and Val,

What is a "non Hilux" engine? :disgust:

The 22R was in a Hi ace, Hilux, Cressida , ect?

For me its the brand not the model that's important.

Kaspaas is a Hilux, it has a TOYOTA Cressida engine and for me that's all that counts.

I own a Toyota 4x4. Nuff said!

Onother thing: If you argue that a Hilux, is a Hilux, Is a Hilux, and is based on the unbreakable SFA Hilux, then a Vigo & Bullnose is not a Hilux??
:stir: :twisted:
Last edited by Kaspaas on Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1998 Toyota land Cruiser 105 series. 4.2 D

"I am human, I make mistakes, and that is okay, I have my own permission."
Thunder02

Post by Thunder02 »

Hoppy wrote:Customizing or enhancing a vehicles capabilities to suit your specific needs doesn't mean you're changing it's name, it still stays a Hilux or whatever, it only means you are not one of the masses, you don't want to walk out of the mall and search for the correct licence plate, your vehicle has to stand out, it has to look the part and have superior capabilities, even swapping the motor for a different brand won't change it's identity.There are a many 110's, Jeep Cherokees and Range Rovers with Lexus V8's, Wranglers with Chevy V8's and Toyota Diesels etc. The main reason that there is so many Hiluxes with other engines is that the rest of the vehicle lasts so long and is still in good nick, but the engines becomes outdated, the same can be said for the Jeep Wrangler/CJ. The Dakar hilux Giniel drives (not the one with the chrome and stickers) has a modified Lexus V8 engine, (not Toyota) as toyota insists that Lexus uses no toyota parts, the frame is a tubular racing unit with all imported custom built suspension hubs and axle, the gearbox are built by a french company, but the composite body resembles a Hilux and it has the badge. Some engine manufacturers supply there engines to different makes, like Iveco that suplies the WL aka 2.5 and 3.0 Ford/Mazda engines, the Yaris shares it's engine with Peugeot and Citroen, in the eighties, Toyota Lancruiser used ADE engines and Yamaha still supplies the High performance Toyota engines, in the states Cumins supplies almost all diesel engines, rumor has it that the new Toyota Tundra will run with a Cumins engine, Landrover used there own, Rover, Jaguar, Mercedes, and now some Tata engine built by Peugeot. Jeep used Iveco and Mercedes diesel engines and the same v8's found in some Chryslers and Jeep manual boxes are suplied by AISAN (Toyota), the list goes on and on. So i think it's fair to say that the power plant is also not the "heart and soul" of a vehicle.
Now that you have stated it that way Hoppy, I tend to agree, It's the passion for the brand and the ability to modify it to suite our needs, they are basically giving us a great platform to work with.

www.4x4direct.co.za
Thunder02

Post by Thunder02 »

Kaspaas wrote:@Andy and Val,

Kaspaas is a Hilux, it has a TOYOTA Cressida engine and for me that's all that counts.

Onother thing: If you argue that a Hilux, is a Hilux, Is a Hilux, and is based on the unbreakable SFA Hilux, then a Vigo & Bullnose is not a Hilux??
Watch it........

:acute:

www.4x4direct.co.za
Kaspaas

Post by Kaspaas »

:surrender:

Thunder02

Post by Thunder02 »

Kaspaas wrote::surrender:
:thumbup:

:cooldude:

I think Thys just wants to stir the forum up............. :subscribed:

www.4x4direct.co.za
Kaspaas

Post by Kaspaas »

Thunder02 wrote:

Watch it........

:acute:
Thats a topic for another day, Thys can use it in the future if wants to kick the hornets nest again! :tease:

ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Got you guys thinking a bit there... :twisted: :twisted: I got bsuy, and couldnt join in, but I have replies yo just about every single one of you... :D: :D:
Thys de Jager

4x4BEES
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0V6

Post by 4x4BEES »

Ek dink oom kort 'n vakansie :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
4x4BEES
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by 4x4BEES »

Too add to the topic,

I think a Hilux stops being a Hilux when you can't recognize it anymore
from a vision perspective.
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

a Hilux is what you want it to be, anything from basic transport to overlander, courier service, tow truck, race truck, moms taxi, etc. etc. You can turn it into anything you need and it will handle anything you throw at it. Modifying and or enhancing it will maybe change its character, but not its identity.
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Cobus, I suppose it's more from a purist perspective ... although Toyota motors, Hilux's were never supplied with MGE / JZ / UZ motors.

@ Allan - The UZ (Lexus V8) is surely a Toyota motor if Lexus is a division of Toyota and the motor even has the Toyota emblem and name on the tappet cover. ;-)

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

4x4BEES wrote:Ek dink oom kort 'n vakansie :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Kevin, lyk my jy't weer een van daai tik foute begaan ...... was seker veronderstel om te lees "Ek dink kort oom vat 'n kansie" :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

louis fourie
Vehicle: 2003 Hilux Raider Facelift D/C 3.0 KZTE
Club VHF Licence: X101

Post by louis fourie »

ThysdJ wrote:

Okay Cassie... maar as jy 'n breinoorplanting gehad het en...............?? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Nee, dan is Cassie slimmer:twisted:

Sent from my IdeaTab S6000-H using Tapatalk
Kaspaas

Post by Kaspaas »

Looks like I'll have to put a Cressida 4x4 sticker on my tail gate like the Ranger guys with their Cortina branding....... :twisted:

Baasvark
Town: Virginia
Vehicle: '97 D/C with all the trimmings & 2011 Troopy

Post by Baasvark »

I see it this way, as long as the drive train, engine or whatever is of the toyota brand, it doesn't really matter.

Might not be a Hilux but is still a Toyota (albeit my modified version of what I would like a Toyota to be :twisted: )

Once the other engine makes etc are used it technically becomes a Hybrid.

Doesn't matter to me. I can still appreciate someone's passion and knowhow if he made the effort to modify his vehicle according to his needs/likes.

Suspension, tyres etc are like shoes - different types for different applications - but not the heart of the vehicle.

Ultimately we all love 4x4ing and that's what it's all really about :thumbup:
Aint it ironic that "Common Sense" aint so common after all...
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

Wanneer die Hilux meer kan nie en deur die Smelt oond gaan... nie dat dit baie gebeur nie. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kaspaas

Post by Kaspaas »

Baasvark wrote:I see it this way, as long as the drive train, engine or whatever is of the toyota brand, it doesn't really matter.

Might not be a Hilux but is still a Toyota (albeit my modified version of what I would like a Toyota to be :twisted: )

Once the other engine makes etc are used it technically becomes a Hybrid.

Doesn't matter to me. I can still appreciate someone's passion and knowhow if he made the effort to modify his vehicle according to his needs/likes.

Suspension, tyres etc are like shoes - different types for different applications - but not the heart of the vehicle.

Ultimately we all love 4x4ing and that's what it's all really about :thumbup:
:clap:

Give that man a Bells!

peetvdw
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: Jeep

Post by peetvdw »

Isn't the name Hilux related to a Make and Model aka a Toyota with a specific shape. Doesn't any car make and model work like this.

Using the old Corolla and Conquest as an example. Although most models were identical in the front and under the bonnet, because the one is a hatch back and the other is not they got different names...

So when is a Hilux not a Hilux? When you put another body on the chassis.

When does a jeep stop being a jeep? Think the same applies...
Peet van der Walt
http://www.youtube.com/user/MonsterHilux" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thunder02

Post by Thunder02 »

peetvdw wrote:Isn't the name Hilux related to a Make and Model aka a Toyota with a specific shape. Doesn't any car make and model work like this.

Using the old Corolla and Conquest as an example. Although most models were identical in the front and under the bonnet, because the one is a hatch back and the other is not they got different names...

When it gets to the first obstacle, then becomes a sheep :twisted:

www.4x4direct.co.za
3UZ-BLOUES
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Stilbaai Wes Kaap
Vehicle: Hilux SFA 3UZ

Post by 3UZ-BLOUES »

Die oomblik wat jy n Ford enjin in hom sit
peetvdw
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by peetvdw »

Thunder02 wrote:
peetvdw wrote:Isn't the name Hilux related to a Make and Model aka a Toyota with a specific shape. Doesn't any car make and model work like this.

When it gets to the first obstacle, then becomes a sheep :twisted:
:lmao: :lmao:
Peet van der Walt
http://www.youtube.com/user/MonsterHilux" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
4x4BEES
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by 4x4BEES »

Mud Dog wrote:
4x4BEES wrote:Ek dink oom kort 'n vakansie :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Kevin, lyk my jy't weer een van daai tik foute begaan ...... was seker veronderstel om te lees "Ek dink kort oom vat 'n kansie" :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Ek wens ja :twisted:
Maar, daai oom is langer as ek :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Maak dit saak watter badge jou kar op het?

As jy lekker ry en kom waar jy wil wees is dit mos reg?
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Oupa Stig
Town: Johannesbug
Vehicle: Hilux KZTE 4X2 "Stagger Lee", Hilux IFS 2.7 4x4 "Loretta"

Post by Oupa Stig »

^^^
Sê die ou met die LR in sy driveway...

A Hilux stops being a Hilux the day the bits that are left over after it has been stipped for spares gets squashed at the scrapyard.
I feel a lot less wise at 45 than I did at 15.
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4, 2.41t Raider 1998 DC - front & rear difflock, 140lt fuel tank, 31" BFG a/t, snorkel, drawer system, alucab canopy, driver with attitude.

Post by GI Jane »

Eish.... and Thys, is sitting back (probably in his Jeep), reading this thread, wooden spoon in hand, laughing his butt off.... :mocking: :mocking: :mocking: :mocking:
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

Ja maar dis die siel wat tel. Die Siel bly nog altyd jy, al dra jy plakkies..... So die vraag is eintlike wat is die siel van die Hilux....as jy die siel verander dan is dit nie meer n Hilux nie.... en ek glo die siel is die enjin...
peetvdw
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by peetvdw »

Is die siel van 'n Hilux nie die man agter die stuur nie?
Peet van der Walt
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

peetvdw wrote:Is die siel van 'n Hilux nie die man agter die stuur nie?
:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: of die vrou.... :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:
peetvdw
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by peetvdw »

GI Jane wrote:
peetvdw wrote:Is die siel van 'n Hilux nie die man agter die stuur nie?
:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: of die vrou.... :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:
Jammer :beg: of die vrou...
Peet van der Walt
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Jeezz Louizze. You are getting really deep now. Youre right Val I did have a good chuckle here and there.

This is how I see it. A Hilux is a Hilux as long as you want it to be a Hilux. So there is no right or wrong answer to this question... The purists will tell you the moment you install a pirate oil filter that it is no longer a true Hilux. So we can deduct from this that most, if not all of the respondents are not purists.....
Thys de Jager

Return to “Open Discussion”