how does the new vehicle modification law affect 4x4 s

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
Wurmscooby
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape town
Vehicle: 1996 2.4 SFA

how does the new vehicle modification law affect 4x4 s

Post by Wurmscooby »

Hi all.just wanted to know how does this new law affect the 4x4 community. Example bigger tyres,bumpers etc. as most of our vehicles are not as per manufacturer's standard. I have read it's not gazetted yet, but cops are stopping vehicles(cars) and retaining discs.
mossie89
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Paarl
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 4x4 4.0 v6

Re: how does the new vehicle modification law affect 4x4 s

Post by mossie89 »

Dis eitlik nie n nuwe wet nie, na regte moet jy jou voertuig weer deur die toets vat met elke verandering op jou voertuig se onderstel of grooter wiele, n mens kort net n slim speedcop
4x4BEES
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0V6

Post by 4x4BEES »

Ek het my bakkie gekoop NA sy mods gedoen is.
Hy is deur roadworthy sonder probleem. 33" bande en al.
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

In die Kaap probeer hulle die street racers vas vat met daai wet.Hulle het wel gese hulle gaan dit doen as die voertuig onveilig raak met modifikasies.So weet nie eintlik hoe hulle dit gaan toe pas nie
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Wurmscooby
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Wurmscooby »

Can i safely say its directed to streetracers ,if so then they pull off cars with lowered suspension or bigger wheels other than standard.i hear the mods must be done by a registered mechanic,or welder that is certified.personally i think they approaching it the wrong way.i do not think they will get street racing off the streets.they even want to fine the spectators.they will definitely have the motor industry up in turmoil and once again creating unemployment.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

guys you need to SEE some of these street racers !!!!

cutting torch and angle grinder is their best friends in making space for a Lexus v8 inside a small 80's Corolla !!

NO attempt at strengthening the chassis after the butcher job.

insane speeds with the old drum brakes still at the back ....

these things are incredibly fast coffins .....

the news release speaks of some 80 odd cars inspected and only 6 or 7 impounded. So it is NOT an "impound all" exercise, but rather get the death traps off our roads.
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

Maybe they should just try to get the taxi excercise implemented successfully first....IMO they are worse than the street racers, they kill more people around them whilst racers more often kill themselves
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Stef wrote:Maybe they should just try to get the taxi excercise implemented successfully first....IMO they are worse than the street racers, they kill more people around them whilst racers more often kill themselves
should see how the DO inspect the local taxis a couple of times PER WEEK :shock2:

on the main routes they have very regular roadblocks purely for taxis.

fact is, the local cops aint half bad.
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

ChrisF wrote:
Stef wrote:Maybe they should just try to get the taxi excercise implemented successfully first....IMO they are worse than the street racers, they kill more people around them whilst racers more often kill themselves
should see how the DO inspect the local taxis a couple of times PER WEEK :shock2:

on the main routes they have very regular roadblocks purely for taxis.

fact is, the local cops aint half bad.
Remember Chris. We live in the Cape.The Vaalies are not use to this :twisted:
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Stef »

Maybe they could send a few this way....regular road blocks here as well, but plenty death traps still around.

I drive through 2 townships to get to work, seems the street racing thing has become a big thing in the townships, with more & more guys on superbikes these days and reckless as hell.

They should leave the 4x4's alone, just an easy target because they think you have money for bribes.
Obelix and Dogmatix
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: ROODEPOORT
Vehicle: HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix, donated to some clown, HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix II Onca front and rear Amade extreme Suspension and under water breathing apparatus

Post by Obelix and Dogmatix »

Except for Stef you all live my the mountain or close enough. Has anyone experienced / witnessed the removal of disk / cars from the streets in any of the other provinces?
Rules are there to make you think before you break them!!!
God made man before
woman so as to give him time
to think of an answer
for her first question
COMMON SENCE IS NOT A GIFT, IT IS A PUNISHMENT!! BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO DEAL WITH EVERYONE WHO DOES NOT HAVE IT!!!
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

So how will the cop next to the road know that a certified mechanic or installer manufactured or installed the mods?

Must you have a certificate for each mod with you?
Or can you just tell them "of course it was built by a factory in Jo'burg
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Kykdaar
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Vehicle: Hilux V6

Post by Kykdaar »

:crazy:
Attachments
Lowered suspension.jpeg
Wurmscooby
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Wurmscooby »

pietpetoors wrote:So how will the cop next to the road know that a certified mechanic or installer manufactured or installed the mods?

+ 1 .that is just my point,how do they justify this.(on the spot) not all car drivers is street racers.even be it a lowered car.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Wurmscooby wrote:
pietpetoors wrote:So how will the cop next to the road know that a certified mechanic or installer manufactured or installed the mods?

+ 1 .that is just my point,how do they justify this.(on the spot) not all car drivers is street racers.even be it a lowered car.
from here - http://4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php?t=210413" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and here - http://www.iol.co.za/motoring/industry- ... MCaI0eUe9y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

now read this press release from the City of Cape Town :
Press release from coct:

City has no designs on legally modified vehicles

A front-page report in today’s Cape Argus claims that the City of Cape Town plans to target drivers of modified vehicles. The article is worryingly inaccurate and the misinformation has spread to other media platforms, including social media.

For the record, the City of Cape Town’s Traffic Service is mandated to enforce the provisions of the National Road Traffic Act No. 93 of 1996 – a national piece of legislation which states that any modification of or tampering with a vehicle’s safety design renders the vehicle unroadworthy unless it is done by the manufacturer or a registered body builder. If a registered body builder decides to make any alterations, they are required to re-register the vehicle and send it to the South African Police Service for clearance before the alteration is considered legal. This is very rarely or never done on motor cars and will normally take place when dealing with heavy vehicles like buses or trucks.

In addition to the National Road Traffic Act, the SANS 047 (South African National Standard) is extensively used by our motor vehicle examiners when conducting roadworthy checks on vehicles. The SANS 047 is very specific on unroadworthy issues such as suspensions and springs, steering columns, vehicle headlights and fog lamps, tinting of windows, and brakes, etc.

The City has no issue with motor vehicles that have been modified legally and in line with the legislation and standards as outlined above.

What we do have an issue with is the large number of vehicles that are modified illegally, rendering them unsafe. Alterations done by mechanics, welders, boilermakers, etc. who are not registered to do so are illegal and the law is very clear about the issue.

Contrary to the information in the article, City traffic officers are clamping down on modified vehicles and the statistics from our illegal street racing operations indicate as much. Of the more than 400 vehicles that had gathered for an illegal street race in Ottery this past weekend, only seven were suspended for illegal modifications and all of them were involved in races, because operationally it would be virtually impossible to check each and every vehicle at the location. Eight suspects were arrested for participating in illegal races, putting their lives as well as the lives of other road users in jeopardy.

Currently, City traffic officers can arrest motorists who participate in illegal races on charges of reckless and negligent driving. Officers can also suspend illegally modified vehicles from the road, in spite of the article incorrectly quoting me as saying we cannot.

What we want (and I have made this clear on a number of occasions) is the enactment of new regulations that will allow us to impose stricter penalties on illegal street racers, with very specific emphasis on those who evade or elude lawful instructions from an authorised official to pull over, including impounding their vehicles. We are also calling for harsher impoundment fees for these vehicles and want to ensure prison time for the offenders. The act of being a spectator at the races also needs to be included with a suitable penalty, as we are inundated with complaints about their behaviour and the impact on surrounding residents. We want to discuss with the National Prosecuting Authority and the Transport MEC certain significant cases where the courts have failed to address this matter adequately and where repeat offenders have been let off too lightly by prosecutors and magistrates who apparently do not understand the gravity of the situation.

NOTE - 7 out of 400 were taken off the road !!!!!!!!

this is NOT some mindless witch hunt !!

SAD how the public would rather complain about the cops DOING their work than try to get their facts right .....
louis fourie
Vehicle: 2003 Hilux Raider Facelift D/C 3.0 KZTE
Club VHF Licence: X101

Post by louis fourie »

......and the last half is street racing and street racing and.....
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

louis fourie wrote:......and the last half is street racing and street racing and.....
exactly.

this hole drive is aimed at street racers, and specifically those with unsafe vehicles.

frankly street racers have caused enough deaths that even street legal racing cars should be confiscated. :banned:

ask Dodging how it SHOULD be done if you have the need for speed :cooldude:
dalkill
Town: Cape TOwn
Vehicle: 2.4 GD6 SR D/C 4x4

Post by dalkill »

does this mean if i buy me a lowering kit and have it fitted by Speedy , I'm ok or not?
no boilermakers involved here?

the law is not clear. Does this make me illegal and street racer? If it looks like a street racer you must be street racer.... if you wearing mini skirt does it make you a lady of the night?

I agree they need to get rid of the street racers for safety of other road user, but this route is not the answer.

Many moons ago, my second car was 160 corolla. Lowering kit, 15" mags, K&N filter, powerflow exhaust... all the classy go faster kits of the time. All was bought new and fitted and reputable establishments. I never raced with the car. Just loved the sleek low profile look of it, and the sound of exhaust and filter. So glad I got that out my system before this crappy rule was imposed. It's a right of passage for every middle income young lad to go thru this. Even if he not a racer. As Will Smith said... 2 miles per hour so everybody sees you.

As the article and Chris pointed out, they want to weed out backyard specials. But lack of clear regulations as to what is illegal and not that is what worries me.
I will probably pass by 9/10 cops who will see this is no street racer car... but that 10th one, who just got out of bed the wrong side that morning, can now use this law to rip off my licence disk just to make sure he is not the only one having a bad day.

This vehicle above i looked after like my own child. I even took off the mags to wash them on inside.
It would have run roadworthy circles around many a stock standard car on the road.
Just this afternoon i saw stock Uno, both back wheels wobbeling as if they going to fall of any moment. But come roadblock, my 130 corolla with 15" mags now will be pulled over before this Uno. Because it's all based on face value.

Same mentality they have with beach driving. Because oyester catchers number was declining, 4x4 banned off the beach. I wrote to the then DEAT to ask what EA was done, and if we could not work out another way... dedicated routes above high water mark, courses for responsible beach driving, peer review (snitching) mechanism to weed out guys with no respect for fauna and flora... All i got back was discussion is now closed. While later i heard they took the most sensitive of areas , St Lucia as their case study ... Ja St Lucia must now stand as precedent for rubbish dump called strandfontein... where I'm now expected to park my 4x4 on the other side of dune while fishing !!

This is the ostrich mentality i'm referring to. Why not give racers legal avenue to vent, in controlled environment. Yes there will always be the street racing, but don't hold rest ransom because of them. That would be like banning all 4x4'ing because of few individuals not respecting the mountain trails.
2016 2.4GD6 SR D/C 4x4 (Oct 2022 - current) (Buraaq VI)
2007 d4d 3.0 D/C 4x4 (Mar 2016 - July 2022) (Buraaq V)
2003 Isuzu KB300 D/C 4x4 (May 2015 - Feb 2016) aka Buraaq IV
2000 hilux DC 2.7 4x4 (Jul 2011 - Sep 2012) aka Buraaq III
1999 RXI 20v (Nov 2009 - Jul 2011) aka Quicksilver
1990 hilux DC 2.2 4x4 (Jun 2008 - Jul 2011) aka Buraaq II
1997 corolla 160i GLE (Feb 2007 - Sep 2009) aka Green Goblin
1990 GLI twincam (still my fav rolla) (Oct 2005 - Mar 2007) aka Wit Blitz
Golf GTI 2.0 (temp insanity for 2months) (Jun 2005 - Aug 2005) aka A mistake
1993 hilux SC 2.2 4x4 (April 2003 - Sept 2005) aka Buraaq

TOYOTA IS MY LEWE
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

dalkill wrote:This is the ostrich mentality i'm referring to. Why not give racers legal avenue to vent, in controlled environment. Yes there will always be the street racing, but don't hold rest ransom because of them. That would be like banning all 4x4'ing because of few individuals not respecting the mountain trails.
take it you dont know of the efforts to get the street races done on the landing strip at Wingfield ..... memory serves me it ended in a shooting incident, or such like ....

our "ostrich" cops HAVE tried a LOT over the years to provide safe venues, and to get "it" off the public roads
Cleaner
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4l V6 4x4 Auto
Club VHF Licence: X31

Post by Cleaner »

dalkill wrote:That would be like banning all 4x4'ing because of few individuals not respecting the mountain trails.
Very interesting points made. One specifically caught my attention.

The above statement. And how long before they decide there's another cow to milk.

Another reason we have to be so careful in what we do when we are on that mountain trail.

Problem is, that this is now being read by the converted, but the parra with his uncle's borrowed truck is the one that will be seen messing it up and then everyone is bad again. Is there any way of proactively preventing this? Perhaps going ahead and enforcing the idea of accreditation before you are allowed to go off road? (Which seem to have died a slow death)
ImageImageImage
"Every loaf of bread is tragic story of grains that could've become beer, but didn't. - Walter Thornburgh"
"The best cure for Sea Sickness, is to sit under a tree. - Spike Milligan"
dalkill

Post by dalkill »

this was my 160 corolla with 17" mags on.

Judge for yourself... is this deemed illegal?

This is the type of view the cop would get from distance before he decides to pull me off or not.

THis car was stock standard with just mag added. It looks lowered as the 17 fills the wheel arches. The wheels did not scrape only when i had 3 adults in the back.. which i never had cause i knew it will scratch the tyre when i hit a bump.

due to lack of clear legislation for example...

lowered car max 40mm drop .i have seen cars dropped so much they cannot drive out the driveway - i too this is ridiculous and unsafe.
Cut spring - illegal
lowering spring with standard shocks = illegal (bottom out more)
lowering springs with shorter shocks designed for those springs = OK.

yes this may be above the knowhow of many spietkop, but then either train them what to look out for, or have vehicle go thru roadworthy again, with the above examples clearly stated, and not current law that says any aftermarket parts different from OME = fail.

Chris, I'm fully with you... get them deathtraps off the road, and no more street racing. But don't take away the right of individuals to express themselves who are clearly not a danger to others - and by clearly , i mean rules in black and white and not up to cop judgement.

End of last year I was driving stock corolla 130... no mags... stock as they come .... in the week my front number plate about to fall off... put it on the dash , and just procrastenated a bit too long to fix it... Sunday morning, roadblock, cop tells me cause of the street racers, he can't let me off with warning, R500 fine. This is what i mean... clear rules, not up the cops discretion. Yes in my case, the law was clear.

But like the stats said 7/400 cars had licence removed... what was the criteria? As young lad out there right now, i would feel very confused as to what i can / cannot do to my corolla i was handed down from my dad.
Attachments
Image029.jpg
Image029.jpg (50.27 KiB) Viewed 3830 times

TOYOTA IS MY LEWE
dalkill

Post by dalkill »

ChrisF wrote:
dalkill wrote:This is the ostrich mentality i'm referring to. Why not give racers legal avenue to vent, in controlled environment. Yes there will always be the street racing, but don't hold rest ransom because of them. That would be like banning all 4x4'ing because of few individuals not respecting the mountain trails.
take it you dont know of the efforts to get the street races done on the landing strip at Wingfield ..... memory serves me it ended in a shooting incident, or such like ....

our "ostrich" cops HAVE tried a LOT over the years to provide safe venues, and to get "it" off the public roads

The ostrich mentality pops up again. They wanting to make alcohol blood level 0 because of some irresponsible drunk drivers.
I don't drink so, i don't care much for this ruling, but i know some of you may enjoy a wine / beer with you meal, now you cannot have anything. Few rotten apples.. rest held for ransom

TOYOTA IS MY LEWE
Big D
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: SFA Hilux 2.2 BFi

Post by Big D »

Maybe they should approach this in a different way, By forcing vehicles to go through road worthy every 2 years or so? That way you cover the modified as well as the un-modified vehicles. There are plenty of standard cars that dont get maintained, the tyres are done, brakes not to standard, etc. Those also pose a big threat to other road users, if not bigger. O yes and test the CO2 aswell! Saw a vehicle this morning leaving a trail of smoke.
'94 lux, 3rz, Dual Tcases, 4.7, Lifted, Locked, 33"
ImageImage

"My worse fear is when i DIE, my wife will sell my car for what I told her I spent on it..."
Having a 12 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet; You're going to surprise a bunch of people, but in the end you're still gay.
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Stef »

Sheesh I don't know 'bout the 2 years RWC....personally my 4x4 needs 4 new tyres @ R10 000 which I don't have, but I also do not drive it much at the moment, now my RWC expires b4 I could put new tyres on, now I'll pay fines for late RWC etc plus the R1000 plus as there is now a new "market".

I say leave as is, if a cop pulls you over & orders a RWC test then you go to the municipal station gratis..again application...

They should go back to having traffic cops & SAPD & nothing else. These metro Cops are half the bloody problem IMO
Big D
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: SFA Hilux 2.2 BFi

Post by Big D »

Stef, and Others,,

Beware that if you are in an accident and tyres are found to be worn, you will have issues with your insurance. On a even more serious note, If its a fatal accident and somebody looses their life, the authorities will check your vehicle, and if your Tyres are worn, or brakes not working as they should, you will be in very deep sheep

Most of us with SFA, make sure those brakes are working, even more so when running larger tyres!
'94 lux, 3rz, Dual Tcases, 4.7, Lifted, Locked, 33"
ImageImage

"My worse fear is when i DIE, my wife will sell my car for what I told her I spent on it..."
Having a 12 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet; You're going to surprise a bunch of people, but in the end you're still gay.
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Stef »

That goes without saying....that was not the point....

Let's say you're waiting on parts for whatever reason...now your RWC expires and the parts haven't arrived yet

And let's say the powers that be decides that the rule must be that your vehicle is scrapped after 21 days of not renewing...(yeah I do think they'll be that stupid)

It's just like COC's for your house....a Farce (I'm in the industry, and I've been down that road with a house I bought and I did not get anywhere with the authorities)
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

How quickly do we forget? The statement by Dalkil about the authorities wanting to ban 4x4's because we mistreat the environment? It is under way guys. The whole NOW thing is all about exactly that. Luckily somehow NOW and DEAT has become quiet about it now due to some dodgy stuff going on, but dont for a second think it is all over. The Norms and Standards are there..... maybe not implemented yet, but all it takes is a politician with an itch.
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Stef »

ThysdJ wrote:How quickly do we forget? The statement by Dalkil about the authorities wanting to ban 4x4's because we mistreat the environment? It is under way guys. The whole NOW thing is all about exactly that. Luckily somehow NOW and DEAT has become quiet about it now due to some dodgy stuff going on, but dont for a second think it is all over. The Norms and Standards are there..... maybe not implemented yet, but all it takes is a politician with an itch.

Calm b4 the storm....been waaay too quiet
hansman
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: pretoria
Vehicle: hilux sfa

Post by hansman »

Hi
Most of the metro cops sitting under trees and bridges don't have drivers licences. They don't know the diverence between their elbow and a......I don't think we must worry to much about well done mods
Hansman&Vaaltyn
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

ThysdJ wrote:How quickly do we forget? The statement by Dalkil about the authorities wanting to ban 4x4's because we mistreat the environment? It is under way guys. The whole NOW thing is all about exactly that. Luckily somehow NOW and DEAT has become quiet about it now due to some dodgy stuff going on, but dont for a second think it is all over. The Norms and Standards are there..... maybe not implemented yet, but all it takes is a politician with an itch.
If history is anything to go by - and doomed be he who ignores history - we just had a cabinet shuffle ....

new brooms and all that ... dont be surprised to one morning wake up and here there EXISTING norms were again put out for comment and are now law.

we HAVE seen it happen time and again !
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Stef »

Uphauled maybe....but surprised? Not ONE bit!!
"South Africa has a story to tell" this will be the one where we killed local tourism in thename of conservation while we allowed the Chinese to rape our continent.

Return to “Open Discussion”