Dodgy 2nd hand Toyota's

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
WayneSchalk
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Krugersdorp
Vehicle: 2019 Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD-6 4X4 DC Auto
Club VHF Licence: X117

Dodgy 2nd hand Toyota's

Post by WayneSchalk »

It seems like there is more than one person who bought 2nd hand a Hilux or Fortuner or other from reputable dealerships just to find out all is not what it's made out to be. :silent:

I read up on a couple of threads where the cars was supposed to be write offs but the dealers manage to get these cars back on their stands and sells it to unsuspecting customers.

My toppie took is brother in laws Hilux to Darryl's workshop to raise the suspension a bit. By taking the wheels off they discovered that this Hilux was in an accident which prompted a dodgy repair job. Worst of all, this car was bought from Automark. :shock: On inspection Darryl found that the shocks was extended by cutting the shaft at the bottom and extending it by welding in a spacer :? , and the left side coil did not match the right side. There is also some bushes that is completely worn and needs to be replaced. ( Cannot say if it is caused by the accident or normal wear and tear)

So the purpose of this post is to warn anyone that is in the market to buy a 2nd hand car. Go through everything before taking delivery! Get a report from the AA, or take someone who knows what to look for or even take the VIN number and check with insurance companies what is the history on the car.

I got caught by Auotmark, and don't want to go through it again! hopefully this does not happen with you!

PS. Once again Darryl and the team at Mikem delivered the best service you could imagine :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Attachments
IMG-20150211-WA0001.jpg
Rianc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2.8GD6 Double CabHilux 4X4

Re: Dodgy 2nd hand Toyota's

Post by Rianc »

Glad you discovered this! Bloody scary to say the least. Doesn't Automark also have a 1000 point checklist on the vehicle? Dodgy! Will take them to court if I were you.
WayneSchalk
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by WayneSchalk »

Rianc wrote:Glad you discovered this! Bloody scary to say the least. Doesn't Automark also have a 1000 point checklist on the vehicle? Dodgy! Will take them to court if I were you.
I am sure he will go to Automark and take it from there, I just want to post it so would be buyers does not end up with the same problems :silent:

It is unbelievable, to say the least.
4x4BEES
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0V6

Post by 4x4BEES »

Thanks for the heads up and advice.

Hope no one else gets caught out like that.
Rianc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: 2.8GD6 Double CabHilux 4X4

Post by Rianc »

Well, I bought a vehicle from them some years ago, and discovered that the km's was spinned back with 100000km. This was discovered when I asked for a 120k service, they said they need to do the 220k service at another dealer. The history was printed for me and low and behold, it was due for the 220k service well..........................
Tenk
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Hilux Country
Vehicle: 07 hilux dc 4L v6 manuel, alu canopy, rock/s, full ome sport, Hoppy s/s custom exhaust, 33 grabber muds, compressor, exstra 80L f/t, dual battery,body lift,redpepper bumper,custom sound with sub,afternarket touchscreen entertain unit, dynoteck chip 188kw

Post by Tenk »

Ons het my vrou se audi by toyota gekoop, sy het 7 weke vir haar plate/lisensie gewag elke keer net verskonings gemaak. Hulle doen ook hulle "eie checks" ens, maar ek dink ek moet motor ook by AA laat nasien net ingeval...
Kykdaar
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Vehicle: Hilux V6

Post by Kykdaar »

Nasien by die AA gaan nie veel help nie. Net n mors van geld in my opinie.

Ek het die vol tegniese toets laat doen toe ek my bakkie gekoop het en hulle kon nie eers optel dat die uitlaat pyp los in die knaldemper boks gesit het nie, ten spyte van die ooglopende tekens.

Ek moes dit uitwys.
Baasvark
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Virginia
Vehicle: '97 D/C with all the trimmings & 2011 Troopy

Post by Baasvark »

Ek het 'n cruiser gekoop wat deur die AA nagegaan is. Hulle kon nie eers optel dat die regter voor lig nie gewerk het nie. Hy het nie eers 'n gloeilampie ingehad nie! Laat mens wonder...
Aint it ironic that "Common Sense" aint so common after all...
Tenk
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Hilux Country
Vehicle: 07 hilux dc 4L v6 manuel, alu canopy, rock/s, full ome sport, Hoppy s/s custom exhaust, 33 grabber muds, compressor, exstra 80L f/t, dual battery,body lift,redpepper bumper,custom sound with sub,afternarket touchscreen entertain unit, dynoteck chip 188kw

Post by Tenk »

Dit lyk my ook alles het in verval gegaan, alles gaan oor geld en wins te jaag, diens staan laaste in die ry. Die enkele instansies, wat hulle sout werd is, is entrepeneurs wat op eie houtjie n bestaan moet maak teen die stroom.
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Kyalami
Vehicle: Hilux 2006 3.0D4D 2x4 DC

Post by Mikie »

Cant you use consumer protection act to hep you there and force Automark to take the car back?
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Get a report from the AA
I relied on a AA report once in my live and nether again.
It is as useless as anything else.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Hangover
Town: Deneysville
Vehicle: '76 FJ45 , '13 3.0 D4D Hilux

Post by Hangover »

FFS mens kry darem skelm mense...
Hangover(A.K.A die speelding)
1976 FJ45 4x4
1UZ-FE 4.0vvti
2" OME Suspension lift
1.5" Shackle lift
35" Geo MT's
Custom Bullbar
Lockright Locked rear
York OBA
20" LED bar
Nighthawk 100W spots

Dakar
2013 3.0D-4D 4x4 Hilux Dakar
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

Die enigste verskil tussen Automark en die res is dat jy net baie meer by Automark betaal.
Die beste is om hom by iemand wat in daardie voertuie spesialiseer te laat nagaan.
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
Opsmedic
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2001 Hilux KZ TE 4x4 D/C and Suzuki SJ413
Club VHF Licence: HC 308

Post by Opsmedic »

I bought my bakkie through Automark as well and when i got it, it was using a pint of oil a week. After a bit of forward and backward stories I found out it had broken rings and a hole burnt in one piston. They ended up overhauling it at their cost after I threatened to go to court about it because of their claim that every vehicle goes through the Automark checklist. If they did that they would have picked up the problem before selling the car to me.
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

Janee met die aanvraag vir Toyota's is daar natuurlik geld te maak.....
Jy moet hom maar nuut koop as j die geld het....smaak my ek gaat my LTD nog laaaaank ry :lol:
Kykdaar
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Vehicle: Hilux V6

Post by Kykdaar »

Many years ago a prominent auto group tried to flog me a bakkie that has been repaired after a serious accident also involving a roll.

They never expected me to stop at a panelbeater during the test drive for a quick inspection that i arranged beforehand. The look on the salesman's face was priceless as all the accident damages and (bad) fixes was pointed out - basically a code 3 car being disguised. Being a Toyota they normally find it easy to flog.

Trust an auto dealer or the AA at your own peril.
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Soos 'n kar wat 'n padvaardigheid sertifikaat gekry het sonder om ooit vir die toets te gaan!
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
KOBUSL
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: WOLSELEY
Vehicle: '96 HILUX 2.8 HILUX DC 3i BMW 540 RANCHERO UTE 4 Li

Post by KOBUSL »

Mikie wrote:Cant you use consumer protection act to hep you there and force Automark to take the car back?
Ek dink dis die pad om te gaan.
Word te vinnig oud en te stadig wys.
Maverick131
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D4D

Post by Maverick131 »

WayneSchalk wrote:So the purpose of this post is to warn anyone that is in the market to buy a 2nd hand car. Go through everything before taking delivery! Get a report from the AA, or take someone who knows what to look for or even take the VIN number and check with insurance companies what is the history on the car.
How do you go about checking the VIN number with insurance companies? Is there a general data base that they have access to where a vehicle's history is stored?
Life can be a tough journey - So drive a Hilux!
WayneSchalk
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by WayneSchalk »

Maverick131 wrote:
WayneSchalk wrote:So the purpose of this post is to warn anyone that is in the market to buy a 2nd hand car. Go through everything before taking delivery! Get a report from the AA, or take someone who knows what to look for or even take the VIN number and check with insurance companies what is the history on the car.
How do you go about checking the VIN number with insurance companies? Is there a general data base that they have access to where a vehicle's history is stored?
If it was claimed through the insurance it becomes their responsibility to change the natis papers from code 1 or 2 to 3 and take the car off your name as they buy the salvage. So if said salvage finds it way back on to a showroom floor then the natis system should show it as a code 3.

You basically want to see that natis document. BUT I have it on good authority that this does not always happen. The salvage is sold on without the code of the vehicle showing it is now a code 3 (which means it is now a rebuild).

So there is ways around that. The best is like someone else mentioned is have a car checked mechanically and by a panel beater if possible. :crazy:
Maverick131
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D4D

Post by Maverick131 »

Thanks Wayne. So basically hook them up to a lie detector test... :tongue:
Life can be a tough journey - So drive a Hilux!
WayneSchalk
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by WayneSchalk »

HAHAHAH, just about...

Return to “Open Discussion”