Hypothetical question?

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
WayneSchalk
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Krugersdorp
Vehicle: 2019 Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD-6 4X4 DC Auto
Club VHF Licence: X117

Hypothetical question?

Post by WayneSchalk »

Help me out please :think:

If I go and look at a boat (for the purpose of this example) at a dealership. They are built on order, I like it and submit my order subject to finance.

Finance is approved as the dealership is registered as a vendor/dealer of this particular bank.

So I sign a job card for my order and work begins. So at this stage there is nothing to do but wait.

A week or so later I get an email (within the estimated time period for fabrication) that the boat is ready, transport is offered at a per-negotiated amount as the factory and my location is in different provinces. I confirm that the boat will be loaded on a carrier and not towed and that the courier company will be liable for the goods up to such time where I sign the delivery note, (note; at this stage the contract is in place). So all is going along smoothly and I pay the courier fees.

But now things start to change.

1. I get an email straight after I send the POP for the courier informing me that the boat will be delivered 50km away from my specified address. And it will be towed not loaded on a carrier.

2. I get a call from the dealer stating that I can go to view the boat at this location and sign the delivery note. But I cannot take delivery until the bank has transferred the money into their account.

So here is my problems with the two points above,

1. The agreed amount for courier fees was for a different service (I can only imagine it will cost more to load it on a carrier than to tow it) and it was for the specified address.

2. I am liable for the goods as soon as I sign the delivery note and therefore do not accept that it will be stored at an unknown location out of my control until the dealer is happy to hand it over. Besides no insurance will cover that.

Now my question to you is; A) am I within my rights to cancel this deal should the dealer not comply, B) will the dealer have any recourse, and keep in mind I did not sign a OTP, and he refuses to comply with the standard operating procedures of the banks.

:think:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Hypothetical question?

Post by Mud Dog »

If the terms negotiated in the contract specify your home address, then that is where delivery and acceptance of the goods must take place, without any additional costs.

May I ask why you didn't want it towed? To my mind, if it was properly secured on a suitable boat trailer, then there should be no damage from towing. If they come to the party and deliver to your address as specified, it's a bit late to fight over the method of transport and I would accept subject to a full inspection for any possible damage. Perhaps you may be entitled to a small refund IRO the cost difference between towing and a carrier, but how much are we talking about here? Is it worth going into battle for?

When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
WayneSchalk
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by WayneSchalk »

Mud Dog wrote:If the terms negotiated in the contract specify your home address, then that is where delivery and acceptance of the goods must take place, without any additional costs.

May I ask why you didn't want it towed? To my mind, if it was properly secured on a suitable boat trailer, then there should be no damage from towing. If they come to the party and deliver to your address as specified, it's a bit late to fight over the method of transport and I would accept subject to a full inspection for any possible damage. Perhaps you may be entitled to a small refund IRO the cost difference between towing and a carrier, but how much are we talking about here? Is it worth going into battle for?

I hear you Andy, but there is 1000km to be covered. And the fact is there is a real risk of damage ie. stone chip. That is the reason I specifically asked for a carrier service.

Beyond that, the fact that he does not want to hand over the goods as soon as the delivery note is signed is the BIG issue here. Who knows how long it takes the bank to transfer the funds as soon as the delivery note is signed? Besides that there is no way I can stop the deal from paying as soon as all the documents is submitted. From the banks side everything is in place, all that is outstanding is the delivery note.

I can not accept liability for it if it is out of my control. How do I know where and how it will be stored? I'm someones yard? Under shade or not?
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Maybe get the bank to issue a guarantee that payment will be made if the goods are accepted in good order.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

AFAIK even if you take delivery (or sign delivery), the CPA allows you to reverse the deal within a specified period of time (not sure how long) if you are not entirely happy with your purchase
To God be the glory
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Cassie,
Take your concerns to the financier(Bank) and have them negotiate on your behalf. They will know your/their rights IRO payment and the boat builder will see that they will get their money, as they will be dealing directly with the Bank/financier...
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
Aquanaut
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Durban
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0D4D

Post by Aquanaut »

As long as the bank is financing the boat, the boat, in fact, remains their property until they have received the final payment. I would, as Edge has stated above, go to them and make it their problem. They will soon sort out the boat builder.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

mode of delivery - loaded or towed - was this clarified in writing ??

You paid for a specific service - delivery to your door.

as for the payment - speak to the bank about your options. POSSIBLY - Specifiy delivery for a week day before 12:00. inspect, get bank to do transfer immediately, and goods released then and there ....
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

If you gave your own address as delivery address I will tell the dealer that he must give you and the bank the assurance that the insurance will be in place until it was delivered to the address you stated and not the address they want to deliver it to.

The bank wants the business so me to will call the bank and explain the issue with signing the delivery note with them and tell them if they cannot sort this out you would like to cancel the deal.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
MOFASA
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1998 JEEP XJ 4.0............ 4 inch lift.... more mods to follow............ Old vehicle was MOFASA
Club VHF Licence: X119

Post by MOFASA »

New consumer act states you have SIX MONTHS to return ANY goods that you are not happy with...
So if it is stored somewhere else and it gets damaged then just tell the boat builder you not happy and want it replaced or your money back (bank deal cancelled) I did it with a vehicle i purchased and was not happy with it. :thumbup:
Live Life in the FAST lane....
Forget the past, Embrace the FUTURE!!!!
To 4x4 or not to 4x4 thats the question....
IT'S A JEEP :yahoo: ..... You wouldn't understand....
ImageImageImage[rimg=206x128]
WayneSchalk
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by WayneSchalk »

ChrisF wrote:mode of delivery - loaded or towed - was this clarified in writing ??

You paid for a specific service - delivery to your door.

as for the payment - speak to the bank about your options. POSSIBLY - Specifiy delivery for a week day before 12:00. inspect, get bank to do transfer immediately, and goods released then and there ....
Yes, I have the conversation recorded where the sales person states it will be loaded and not towed. And on writing.
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

He with the gold rules.

Here your signature is the gold. It's a 'My way or the highway' situation.

Wat is die duurste, die boot of courier? Laat die verkoper maar sy besluit om geld op die courier te bespaar opweeg teen die verlis van 'n transaksie.
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.

Return to “Open Discussion”