Confession Time

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Confession Time

Post by JohanM »

For those that knows the History of my beloved Hilux "Brakkenjan" that I rolled on a Sunday drive out to the farm will know that it was my first ever owned 4x4. It was my Baby for 12 years. That was the benchmark of my reference and yes it had a lot of short comings but I loved it to bits.

Last week the new owner managed to track me down and rang me up. We had a discussion and ill be soon on my way next weekend to PTA north where it is being fixed up in a back yard. Still need to remove the tracker unit from it and see what it looks like. One thing that struck me was that I will always have a place for a SFA Hilux and yes maybe in some time in the near Future I will buy one again and make it look good again.

Will it replace my Prado???? No it just cannot come close for what I use it for. Long distance and overland travel. However the two vehicles have a character difference as big as the sun and the earth. I love them both and would love to own both.

Have I gone soft?? Maybe but also I value my comfort and the ability to drive 1200 km in one day and feel still fresh on the other side. I have to say that the stability of the Prado on dirt roads is something to enjoy. I drop the tyres to approx 1.8 and lock the centre diff and cruise at 80 in refrigerated comfort on the roads. Yes the dual aircon in mine really cools down to the point of becoming too cold on a long drive if kept on all the time running.

This I tested when I left cape town in late December where I picked it up and the drive up to Kleinzee, then onto Upington and Home including other day trips the aircon stayed on all the time with the fan set at speed 2. By the time @ 18h00 in Kleinzee I climbed out of the fridge and stepped into the west coast. The wind was cold, but since i just got out my fridge it was really just a breeze. Yes it was around 35 in the heat of the day, yet the vehicle didn't really notice it was that hot outside.

I have done a few solo long distance trips in my SFA. I survived it and it was part of the stories. It wasnt that comfortable even with the aircon modded for 2-5 Degree airvent temp depending on outside temperatures above 35.

Since I replaced the Hilux with the Prado I have racked up 5000 km in 3 months. Part of it was driving it home which was most fun as I learned to love my new vehicle. Having learned to stay at 120/125 on the open road with the SFA, I have adopted the same laid back driving style with the Auto V6. Fuel consumption is way better than expected driving it relaxed and enjoying the scenery rather than the keeping up with other SUV's and 4x4's speeding by @ 140 +. So far my average on openroad driving @ 120/130 is approx 12.5L/100 or about 8km/litre which i rarerly could achieve in my Special modded 4Y Hilux.

Somehow I still manage to get a lot of bypassers looking at my vehicle when they overtake or when I park it somewhere.

So would I buy this vehicle again if I had to??? Yes its a Toyota afterall and the V6 Auto is highly capable in most situations.

Yes I do miss my SFA and the rugged character of point and drive attitude when offroad.

One day I will own one again and still have my white appliance (Overland Prado).
Johan Marais
4x4BEES
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0V6

Re: Confession Time

Post by 4x4BEES »

Really glad you love your new Toyota.

Who knows, maybe one day you will be lucky enough to own both :thumbup: :thumbup:
ThysdJ
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

So val die grotes. :)
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Johan, you have said it all! The Prado 90-series is a great vehicle, it is built very solidly, and of course its comfort second to none.

Happy days for your old SFA, from what you say it seems it will be on the road again one of these days? Please encourage the new owner to join the forum and post pics and reports of his progress.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

the BuTch3R
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: '89 Hilux SFA - SOLD; '95 Hilux - STOLEN; '67 Series 2A Land Rover; 3.5 V6 Pajero; 120 Prado VX 4.0

Post by the BuTch3R »

Johan. I too can relate. My SFA was stolen a few years ago and I was absolutely devastated at the time..... so much so that I couldn't even bring myself to log in to this forum. :silent:

I bought a v6 pajero shortly afterwards (was the nicest 4x4 I could afford at the time :oops: ) and got my first taste of the "luxury 4x4" class. This was an interim purchase and was never gonna be a keeper in my mind. Yet, the drive was very comfortable and still very capable. I also loved that fact that we could pile 2 families into the van and hit the long road. The power of the 3.5 liter motor was amazing compared to the 2.4 Hilux, yet fuel consumption was less. This was the beginning of me going soft....

I've just recently managed to save up enough cash for a suitable upgrade and so began the internal debate - Hilux or Fortuner or Prado? After weeks of deliberation I eventually opted for a 120 Prado and found a very neat one-owner van on Gumtree........ WOW! what a vehicle!!! The comfort of this van is unbelievable. The 4.0L, Auto box combo is such a pleasure to drive. 180+kw of power and even lighter than the Pajero on fuel! On tar it feels like I'm gliding on ice and offroad it's a beast. I seriously don't see myself going back to Hilux anytime soon (read never).

Having said that, it comes down to application. What is your primary use of the vehicle. Of course it would be awesome to own both the SFA and the Prado. In fact if my Hilux hadn't been stolen I'd still be charging obstacles and making fun of the "softroaders" trying their best not to scratch the paintwork or damage the tupperware. But now that I've been bitten, if I had to chose just one vehicle..... Prado wins hands down. :yahoo:
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Yip, fiend of mine "upgraded" from Prado 90 to Prado 120 and he regrets it.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
dalkill
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Cape TOwn
Vehicle: 2.4 GD6 SR D/C 4x4

Post by dalkill »

since we all confessing... i've been looking at +-2000 colt 2.8 4x4. :oops:
it's half the price of KZTE, and performance numbers not too far off, lighter on fuel.
Yes, the colt notorious for blowing head, but KZTE not immune to this. Alot depends on owner.

whoa is me... i want a hilux, but purchase price is just not justifiable. Nostalgia does not fill that hole in the wallet.
2016 2.4GD6 SR D/C 4x4 (Oct 2022 - current) (Buraaq VI)
2007 d4d 3.0 D/C 4x4 (Mar 2016 - July 2022) (Buraaq V)
2003 Isuzu KB300 D/C 4x4 (May 2015 - Feb 2016) aka Buraaq IV
2000 hilux DC 2.7 4x4 (Jul 2011 - Sep 2012) aka Buraaq III
1999 RXI 20v (Nov 2009 - Jul 2011) aka Quicksilver
1990 hilux DC 2.2 4x4 (Jun 2008 - Jul 2011) aka Buraaq II
1997 corolla 160i GLE (Feb 2007 - Sep 2009) aka Green Goblin
1990 GLI twincam (still my fav rolla) (Oct 2005 - Mar 2007) aka Wit Blitz
Golf GTI 2.0 (temp insanity for 2months) (Jun 2005 - Aug 2005) aka A mistake
1993 hilux SC 2.2 4x4 (April 2003 - Sept 2005) aka Buraaq

TOYOTA IS MY LEWE
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

I have a confession too.... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: I love my Jeep... more than I ever loved any SFA Hilux I had.... :silent: :silent: :silent:
Thys de Jager

4x4BEES
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0V6

Post by 4x4BEES »

ThysdJ wrote:I have a confession too.... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: I love my Jeep... more than I ever loved any SFA Hilux I had.... :silent: :silent: :silent:
It's not a confession if the whole world already knows this :twisted: :twisted:

But have to admit, daai Jeep van oom is darem maar mooi :blushing:
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Kevin as jy weet hoe erg ek oor my SFA Hiluxe was, dan is daai een moerse confession!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Purgatory!!

You know what happens to guys who fib like this - they burn their toes.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

FIRSTGEER
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Johan I can really identify with you.I sold my OLD FAITHFULL 2,8d dc sfa last year with a very sore heart to "upgrade to a 2,5 d4d s/ cab 4x4 to enable me to build a camper for overlanding.My new d4d has much more comfort and power etc for the long haul on open roads to "get there" but on the rough terrain,the sfa still takes the cake.The main thing is that it is still a Toyota. :yahoo:
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

pietpetoors wrote:Yip, fiend of mine "upgraded" from Prado 90 to Prado 120 and he regrets it.
Pieter, die een ding wat baie opmerkbaar is in die nuwer generasie voertuie is dat hulle almal word laer en ronder buffers wat meer op pad en grondpad gebruik gemik is as werklike ernstige 4x4 alhoewel hulle steeds dit kan doen.

Die 3 generasies se "offroad" angles is soos volg.

Approach angle - 95 Series (36) 120 reeks (34) en die 150 reeks is (32).
Departure Angle - 95 Series (30) 120 reeks (28) en die 150 reeks is (24).
Break over angle - 95 Series (28) 120 reeks (20) en die 150 reeks is (22).

Iets wat ek self opgelet het is dat die nuwes raak baie groot en kan nogal n pyn wees om te parkeer en te ry op nou 4x4 roetes. EK sal graag wil weet hoekom hy spyt is. Ek self het die 120 reeks oorweeg maar was net te styf vir die begroting.

Thys ek moet se dat daai 3 deur jeeps is baie lekker speel voertuie en hulle is soveel pret daar by julle in die kaap met die see en sand so ek verstaan dat jy hom so geniet. Ek self sal so voertuig kan geniet en baie ook. Maar ek dink n Suzuki Samurai wat mooi gemaak is kan netsoveel pret wees.

Shaun, yes they win the race if you look for the best allround capable vehicle that can still be used daily and do the long haul in rough country on safari without trouble.
Johan Marais
the BuTch3R
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: '89 Hilux SFA - SOLD; '95 Hilux - STOLEN; '67 Series 2A Land Rover; 3.5 V6 Pajero; 120 Prado VX 4.0

Post by the BuTch3R »

JohanM wrote:...die een ding wat baie opmerkbaar is in die nuwer generasie voertuie is dat hulle almal word laer en ronder buffers wat meer op pad en grondpad gebruik gemik is as werklike ernstige 4x4 alhoewel hulle steeds dit kan doen.
Agreed. As standard, the 120 is pretty low. Although, nothing a suspension upgrade doesn't remedy. Was the first thing I ticked off when I purchased mine. Mine is fitted with Old Man Emu and results in about a 50mm - 55mm lift all-round. Massive difference to the clearance and angles... and no longer looks like a "Moms Taxi".
Next I plan to fit an ARB front bumper which should "raise" the nose even more.

I too am not a big fan of the 150. But if I was gifted one, I'd drive the cr@p out of it :thumbup:

Return to “Open Discussion”