Alternative Energy: "Sub-economical" lighting

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
chopper

Alternative Energy: "Sub-economical" lighting

Post by chopper »

We are looking at options ito providing access to economical lighting for domestic purposes (in the "platteland") as the majority of farm workers still do not have access to electricity (not that that is an advantage nowadays?!)
I know that there are a number of options ito LED strip lighting, small solar power systems, the Consol solar sun jar etc but we would like to arrive at the most economical, sustainable system as workers do not really have the finances for such "luxuries" - it would be left to farm owners to assist ito providing such systems. Possibly as a community development initiative?
Your advice, comments and opinions will be highly appreciated
Thank you
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Re: Alternative Energy: "Sub-economical" lighting

Post by ChrisF »

Tinus any idea on the number of rooms per home ?

Lets say 1 off 6W per room, total of 5 rooms (kitchen, lounge, batroom, 2x bedrooms) - that is 30W total, or about 2,5A total.

Immediately I am doubtful of using a 7A.h battery. I believe it will be drained totally each night and last a few weeks at best.

Maybe a 60 or 70A.h deep cycle battery .....

Mathematically a 50W solar panel may do the job, but I would use nothing less than an 80W panel, and preferable a 100W .....

for the lights. The 6W 12V bulb certainly is the best technical answer .... at more than R100 per bulb it may turn into a very expensive maintenance item ..... 30cm to 50cm LED strips will certainly do the trick.

Keep it simple with a single box serving for the charger, fuses, distribution and switching of all the lights.

Costs:
Panel - 80W - R 1 000
LED strips - 2,5m at R 115/m - R 300
Battery - R 1750
Charger/regulator - R 750 (there are cheaper models, but make SURE it can charge up to 14,5V !!)
By the time you have added mounting brackets for the panels, switches, wires, fuses, ..... this project will cost between R 5000 and R 6000 in materials.

IF the homes are attached a single larger panel, and a larger battery, can be used to serve two homes. This could drastically drop the capital costs ...

In the back of my mind I have a picture of a farmer workers house .... in the shade of old trees ..... shade and PV are NOT friends !!!!!! I have seen a number of solar hot water systems installed in the shade for these applications .... nice show of wanting to help, but totally worthless waste of money !!
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

on second thought .... the title was "sub-economical" ....

so what could one realistically do with a 7A.h battery ?????????

Let's say 0,5A for 7 hours. Winter time the lights go on by 17:00 and 7 hours usage is very realistic.

0,5A is only 6W.

This is only 2 downlighters or hardly 450mm of LED strip.

YES, it will be more light than a candle, but certainly wont ever live up to the expectations of a "electric lights".....

Wish there was a 30 or 40A.h deep cycle battery ......
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Ek het die antwoord.

Hou vas dat ek gesond raak dan kan ek die hele storie mooi skryf.
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
chopper

Post by chopper »

Chris
Thank you very much for your inputs :thumbup: If I remember correctly I spotted such (deep-cycle?) batteries at Deltec Rustenburg?
I'm starting off with a Consol solar light jar from Trappers tomorrow - to experiment with at home as Eskom provides ample opportunity for that :!:
A number of years ago we used a system consisting of a 7Ah battery, a small solar panel and 3 to 5 small LEDs to light up a lapa area in Mozambique; it worked well but it was too costly for general use
I'll patiently wait for Thabo to get better as well :D:
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Thinus the conundrum is that it IS possible to provide ample light with a cheap installation and a 7Ah battery .... BUT, if the end user over use the system then you will end up with a serious bill replacing batteries ....
chopper

Post by chopper »

Chris
Thank you. Yes, that is the challenge we face :?:
Its an education process as well :D:
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

chopper wrote:Chris
Thank you. Yes, that is the challenge we face :?:
Its an education process as well :D:
Jip, SKOOLGELD ... :slap: :tease: :lmao:
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

right now 99% of my neighbours are having to use their "sub-economical" candles ......

your workers may soon be the new privaledged group ....
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Thinus, here is a possible easy solution for you ( http://4ever-on.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ). I would however take what they claim with more than a pinch of salt, but certainly it will be enough to power some lights and TV. It might not be the cheapest option, but other than building your own system it's a hassle free option. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
chopper

Post by chopper »

Andy
Yup, pricey but worth considering :thumbup:
Thank you very much
chopper

Post by chopper »

Vikela, the road demarcation people, manufacture a 360deg solar road stud
Its available in various colours including white and it might be an option if it could be made available in a steady instead of flashing mode
We've been using similar products (eg flashing green solar studs) of theirs for rural safety purposes and they've been performing very well

Return to “Open Discussion”