Win 10 Update warning

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Win 10 Update warning

Post by pietpetoors »

If you are using Win 8 you would have received a notification that you can update to win 10.
As usual Microsoft managed to go one step backwards with win 10.

If you are using win 7, that is still the best, stick to it until one day new devices do not have drivers for win 7 no more.

The WARNING is that the win 10 upgrade will chew up your data.
A friend of ours was on a mobile network and his upgrade cost him more than R1200 in data .

This is what happens:
I the right bottom of ye screen you will see this windows sign. If you click it and you have not reserved your win 10 upgrade it will tell you to reserve the upgrade..
If you already reserved it, it will tell you to either start the process or if it started the process it will show you how far it is.

The upgrade file is only 2.7 Gig small.

What happened to me is that it started to download the upgrade file. After 97% my internet connection started to give problems. I reset my modem a couple of times but it did not work. Microsoft was clever enough that if you drop your connection and get a connection back later it will just continue where it stopped, but not if you switch your computer off.

After while I got gatvol, switched my computer off and went to bed. Next morning decided to tackle the upgrade again, just to find that it started downloading the 2.7 Gig file again from Zero %.

This means that if you have a slow connection and you switch off your computer every day after using it, Microsoft will try to download the file each time you switch on your computer.

So I realised that, whatever I do, I must not switch off my computer until the update was finished.

Later that evening it happened, file was updated and my laptop was downgraded to win 10.

This was not the end.
After the first start MS bragged about it been faster and better and they have a new browser, etc.
Started my laptop and found that it was in fact slower than win 8.
Now Microsoft was updating all the stupid apps it installed with win 10 for which I did not ask for, even more data usage.

When I started using my computer I found that Microsoft removed all the file association I had. They decided that their browser and email program will now be the default programs I use.
They decided that their photo viewer program will now be what I use to view photos.

So I had to redo all file associations, even for pdf files.

Next shock, remember when you were in explorer and wanted to look at a pic you right click and choose "preview"well, bad news, that is gone in win 19 because you are forced to use them stupid photo viewer. Now for somebody who 99% of the time work with photos and not look at photos this is a frustration because I want my default program to open photos to be my photo editor.

Another shock, started my laptop this morning and decided to see what resources it use. I did not open any programs . Just started it, left it for 5 minutes to settle and then checked. With only win 10 running it uses 1.7 Gig of memory. This means that if you have an computer or laptop with only 2 Gig of memory, your computer will be extremely slow as it is using 1.7 Gig of that only to power win 10. Many of these cell network deals sells people laptops with only 2 gig of memory.

There are many of Microsoft apps you cannot remove. I do not use the stupid apps and I do not want them, but I am stuck with them.

My advice to you; unless you really need win 10, think 3 times before upgrading. If you do upgrade make sure you do not restart your pc until it finished downloading the 2.7 gig upgrade file.
If you all of the sudden experienced high data usage and do not know why, go click that windows sign at the bottom right and see if maybe win 10 upgrade is the cause.

All the software are becoming more and more resource hungry. I long back to the days of simple, fast effective software. Maybe it is time to switch to Linux.
Windows 10 warning
Windows 10 warning
win10-warning.jpg (27.92 KiB) Viewed 6185 times
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
4x4BEES
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0V6

Re: Win 10 Update warning

Post by 4x4BEES »

Thanks for the warning.

I was about to "upgrade" as I already reserved it for download.
I will now not do it even though that little window is there and ready for me to do so.
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 99 IFS DC 4x4

Post by niclemaitre »

It's not that bad. I quite like it in fact, especially the Search Function that has been so dramatically improved, instead of digging through settings to find the one I want, simply search for it.

During the setup process, you are asked if you'd like to change your file associations, and only if you agree are they changed.

2gb of RAM is a very small amount of RAM and most PCs/laptops these days come out with at least 4gb (with the exception of Chrome Books). If your PC/Laptop is that old, I'd say rather upgrade to a new one than install any version of Windows later than XP...
Happy trails
Nic

SFA '97 DC - affirmatively shopped
SFA '87 DC "Rooies" - sold
IFS '99 DC "Benny"
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

During the setup process, you are asked if you'd like to change your file associations, and only if you agree are they changed.
Did you use the Express option when installing or custom as I never received that option.

Did you managed to find the right click / preview function to view photos?

I am also glad the search function is back, that was one of the best features in win 7 which they stuffed up in win 8
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Boertjie
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Midrand
Vehicle: Hilux D-4D DC
Club VHF Licence: W61

Post by Boertjie »

With the upgrade option you could also find that your current drivers do not work and your pc goes into a constant loop of start crash restart.
Make sure if you do upgrade make a backup before you do.
If you want win 10 . Rather do a fresh install with proper win 10 drivers. I had to fix a few already where it keeps crashing due to drivers.
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Since Win 3.1 I have not done update to new versions until such time as the first service packs get released. Only after this would I consider updates.

I'm currently on Win8.1 and must say I find it not too shabby. The search function is available (windows key + s). It took a while to set it up as I like it.
To God be the glory
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

What do you guys use to play MP3 files?
Windows media player is no more there and the new Groove Music uses 141 Mb of memory to play a simple 5Mb MP3 file.
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by niclemaitre »

Winamp
Happy trails
Nic

IFS '99 DC "Benny"
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

To God be the glory
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by niclemaitre »

pietpetoors wrote:Did you use the Express option when installing or custom as I never received that option.
Custom
pietpetoors wrote:Did you managed to find the right click / preview function to view photos?
No but that just opened them using MS's crappy Picture Viewer anyway. Do yourself a favour and get IrfanView.

http://www.irfanview.com/
Happy trails
Nic

IFS '99 DC "Benny"
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Still chugging along happily without any blue screens using the old XP Pro. Dunno how long I'll be able to keep it up but I have a lot of programs that wont run on any OS after XP.
Running FireFox 29.0.1 as default browser
Use Winamp for sound media, VLC for video and ACDCee for pictures (I use Ixla Artist for pic manipulation).
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

I can't stand Winamp... I've been using VLC for movie files and standard audio files and foobar2000 for any exotic audio file formats like flac, ogg and mka.
Boertjie
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Midrand
Vehicle: Hilux D-4D DC
Club VHF Licence: W61

Post by Boertjie »

I just use the Groove player ... have 16 GB memory in my Laptop with a Solid state drive .. running 64bit win10.
Windows XP is still a good operating system but if you reload a pc that had XP on it you cannot activate it online or by phone. So you would need to upgrade.
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

My laptop has 8 Gig of RAM so the RAM is not really an issue I just dislike ineffective software.

Thanx Cassie & Kie I downloaded VLC.

So to play the same MP3 file:
Groove uses 141 Mb of memory
Win Media Player = 24 Mb
VLC 16 Mb to do the same job.
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

VLC is a very powerful and functionality filled app.

The only drawback is that sometimes it looses some rendering quality but not necessarily noticeable
To God be the glory
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

You can look at MediaMonkey as well, quite a good all-rounder.

More importantly, you should check this link out as well:

Windows 10 is stealing your bandwidth

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Thanx Eric, that explains why we suddenly uses a month's data in 2 days.
Turned it off on my machine now.
RodS
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Somerset West
Vehicle: Hilux D4D
Club VHF Licence: X282

Post by RodS »

I just checked with a right click on an MP4 file in Explorer, and Windows media Player is alive and well after my upgrade
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

I found mine as well, just had to change the file associations as it selected Groove as the default.
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

What the experience of Windows 10 now? Worth it?
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Louis I installed it on my laptop about 1 month after the release. For the most part it ran fine, until my wireless network started going nuts and stopped working(permanently). I rolled back to Windows 7, and waited for the first service pack release, which happened about 3 weeks ago. Then heard this service pack introduced some nasty bugs... so I'm staying with Win7 for now!
Rebel 4x4
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2020 Toyota Fortuner GD-6 4x4 Auto

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

Bly by 7!
Sent from my iPhone
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

If you are running Win8.1 and want to get rid of the Win10 offer popping up, just unintall hotfix (KB3035583)
To God be the glory
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

If you have win 7 stay with it, if you have win 8, upgrade to ten.

My 10 is running not too bad, but I by far prefer the Win 7 I have on my old PC.

When you update, just make sure when you start the update you leave the computer on until it finished and make sure you have 3Gig of data available.

Also read the article referred to further up of win 10 stealing your bandwidth, make sure you follow those steps in that article.
Dowe Koos
Vehicle: Toyota Buschwagen 2.7 4x4

Post by Dowe Koos »

Hallo almal.
Sover ek weet is dit gratis net vir 'n jaar en dan gaan Win 10 uitsny as jy dit nie koop nie. Hierdie is net 'n trick van MS om jou in te trek en gewoon te maak aan 10. MS het nog nooit iets verniet vir altyd weggegee nie. Een of ander tyd gaan ons suckers maar net moet hoes.
Ecc 1:9 Wat gewees het, dit sal daar weer wees; en wat gebeur het, dit sal weer gebeur, en daar is glad niks nuuts onder die son nie.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Ons het n paar IT manne by die werk .... daai tipe wat n 20 pc netwerk by huis het .....

Hulle toets altyd die nuutste goed op een van die ekstra rekenaars.

ALS by die werk bly op Win 7.

NIKS wat die nuwe pakette bied kan enigsins bydra tot wat ons gebruik by die werk nie
jacques kotze
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 2,8 4x4 Auto Fortuner. 2,8 4x4 Hilux singlecab.

Post by jacques kotze »

ChrisF wrote:Ons het n paar IT manne by die werk .... daai tipe wat n 20 pc netwerk by huis het .....

NIKS wat die nuwe pakette bied kan enigsins bydra tot wat ons gebruik by die werk nie
Waar kan mens nog Windows 7 kry ? Moet n mens n Laptop koop met Windows 8,1 en dan Windows 7 oplaai, kan n mens nog Windows 7 koop ?
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Not sure that you will still be able to get Ver. 7 unless you can pick up a 2nd hand copy privately. :think:

Notice how they skipped "Ver. 9" ..... that's because Windows 7 8 9 :twisted:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

jacques kotze wrote:
ChrisF wrote:Ons het n paar IT manne by die werk .... daai tipe wat n 20 pc netwerk by huis het .....

Waar kan mens nog Windows 7 kry ? Moet n mens n Laptop koop met Windows 8,1 en dan Windows 7 oplaai, kan n mens nog Windows 7 koop ?
Exactly what I did in 2013.

Bought a 64 bit kick ass laptop for my photography.

Came with Win 8 pre loaded ....

Took it back and insisted they install Win 7

Ended up with a choise at bootup - win 7 or Win 8

One Hard drive runs on 8

The other hard drive boots up on Win 7

and then the solid state drive for a bit of speed :thumbup:

When working with Photoshop files of 700Meg, some over 1Gig, then you need a "nice" machine :twisted:

PS - helped a friend last week that got a new laptop with the latest Win 8 - MUCH better than the first release ... or am I just getting used to it ... :silent:
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

I personally like Win8.1 and now prefer it above Win7. It takes a while to get used to. But there is no way I will be going to Windows10
To God be the glory
4x4BEES
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0V6

Post by 4x4BEES »

I have gone to windows 10 a couple of weeks ago on the advice of a friend of mine. And.
My internet signal gets lost and shows limited and I can hardly use my laptop for searching or posting.
Only a couple of minutes at a time and then i loose signal.

How do i go back to 8.1?
dalkill
Town: Cape TOwn
Vehicle: 2.4 GD6 SR D/C 4x4

Post by dalkill »

if you really think about it, how much has windows really changed since Windows 95?... for the average person on the street....
2016 2.4GD6 SR D/C 4x4 (Oct 2022 - current) (Buraaq VI)
2007 d4d 3.0 D/C 4x4 (Mar 2016 - July 2022) (Buraaq V)
2003 Isuzu KB300 D/C 4x4 (May 2015 - Feb 2016) aka Buraaq IV
2000 hilux DC 2.7 4x4 (Jul 2011 - Sep 2012) aka Buraaq III
1999 RXI 20v (Nov 2009 - Jul 2011) aka Quicksilver
1990 hilux DC 2.2 4x4 (Jun 2008 - Jul 2011) aka Buraaq II
1997 corolla 160i GLE (Feb 2007 - Sep 2009) aka Green Goblin
1990 GLI twincam (still my fav rolla) (Oct 2005 - Mar 2007) aka Wit Blitz
Golf GTI 2.0 (temp insanity for 2months) (Jun 2005 - Aug 2005) aka A mistake
1993 hilux SC 2.2 4x4 (April 2003 - Sept 2005) aka Buraaq

TOYOTA IS MY LEWE
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Agree, many users just want to use MS word, email and browse.
95 and 98 were less reliable than win 7. To me win 7 is the ultimate.

The problem with 8 and 10 is windows were too lazy, or stingy, to develop separate software for mobile devices and just sommer tried to do both in one package.

Win 7's interface work on a PC and win8 and win 10's interface work on a tablet.
Derren
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: 2001 Hilux KZ-TE D/C

Post by Derren »

I have a home "server" running Windows 10, and a personal laptop on Windows 10. My work laptop is Windows 7. I will take Windows 10 over 7 any day... I am itching to get my work laptop onto Windows 10.
Toyota Hilux D/C KZ-TE 2001
TJM Bumper, TJM XGS Suspension (with Bilstein shocks), Gomad Alu-Canopy, Snorkel, Chip & Intercooler, Dual Battery
Hyundai ix35 2.0 2011

Four Wheel Drive Club - Western Cape
Hilux4x4.co.za Club
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

dalkill wrote:if you really think about it, how much has windows really changed since Windows 95?... for the average person on the street....
Going down this line of thought one gets to the conclusion that either Windows is doing us a favour or "working over" the small programmers ....

Who remembers the days of the 8-digit limit to file names ? Then you could buy a package " Long file names". It was hardly distributed or it became a standard function the next windows .... tough for the person that actually dreamed up the concept and did the programming of this little function.

Windows WAS nothing more than a "menu" to access your programmes .. but over the years it has steadily included more and "extras" into the "menu" .....

Okay, it is good in that you dont need to buy multiple small programmes.

But ruthless to the people that actually own the intelectual property .....

If you want REALLY see what a scoundrel BG is, then watch "Pirates of Silocon Valley".

Back to the latest windows - for MY needs, I need a menu to get to specific programmes. I DONT need a pc screen that resembles some teenage flip-flop social access portal .... and franckly, that does NOT add to productivity at work .... nou goed GATVOL vir die jong klomp wat nie hul werk klaar kry nie !!
Dirka
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Doornpoort Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 V6 4X4 Auto DC

Post by Dirka »

Guys..Having a resource intensive OS on a pc is like having a load on a Lux..the lesser the load - the faster it goes.
We stick to W7. My 2c.
I got arrested for driving naked. I guess I shouldn’t have put four wheels, an engine, and a steering wheel on my bathtub.
I’m a do-it-yourself kind of lover.
” ― J. Kintz
Derren
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Derren »

You know you're getting old when you want the "good ol days/software" :taunt: :surrender:
TJM Bumper, TJM XGS Suspension (with Bilstein shocks), Gomad Alu-Canopy, Snorkel, Chip & Intercooler, Dual Battery
Hyundai ix35 2.0 2011

Hilux4x4.co.za Club
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

So many things worked better in the old days that I won't mind getting old.

When do you know you getting old?.....
When you don't worry where your wife goes as long as you don't have to go along. :mocking:
Derren
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Derren »

:lmao: :lmao:
Hyundai ix35 2.0 2011

Hilux4x4.co.za Club
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

:lmao: :lmao: Good one.

I am getting used now on 8.1. But my Win 7 was great. Maybe later Win 10 get sorted out.
Hunter26
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Isuzu

Post by Hunter26 »

I have that windows 10 at the bottom of my screen. I haven't downgraded to Windows 10 ;-) and would like to know, how do I get rid of it off my computer. I'm using windows 7 vista.

Sent from my D2403 using Tapatalk
Isuzu 250D 4x2 with diffy lock
1 x Humorous Driver
GPS,Dashcam,tyre levers
I don't live in Africa, Africa lives in me - Kyle my son.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Derren wrote:You know you're getting old when you want the "good ol days/software" :taunt: :surrender:
You (me) ARE damn old when you still remember the basic DOS commands ... :siffler: :surrender: :shh:
Derren
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Derren »

ChrisF wrote:
Derren wrote:You know you're getting old when you want the "good ol days/software" :taunt: :surrender:
You (me) ARE damn old when you still remember the basic DOS commands ... :siffler: :surrender: :shh:
Ah DOS, the command prompt... sometimes things are best done from the command prompt. It is becoming a lost art :shock2:
Hyundai ix35 2.0 2011

Hilux4x4.co.za Club
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Derren wrote:
ChrisF wrote:
Ah DOS, the command prompt... sometimes things are best done from the command prompt. It is becoming a lost art :shock2:
I use the Unix equivalent of the DOS prompt daily in my job, BASH via SSH. Certainly isn't a lost art in my line of work!

:thumbup:
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

DOS ? ...... is that something you do after Sunday lunch? :D:

I never even properly got to grips with DOS, but before that I was writing some of my own stuff with Basic and Q-Basic.

Who remembers those?

ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Long long ago I actually used Q-Basic to draw our school emblem onto pc .....

actually banked a few classes to get it done ....
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

How does Win 7 compare with Win 7 Pro?

Dirka
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Doornpoort Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 V6 4X4 Auto DC

Post by Dirka »

Mud Dog wrote:How does Win 7 compare with Win 7 Pro?
W7 Pro more network orientated.

U can do Dynamic Disk = Support for RAID, Encryption, GPs, Domain, Offline files + folders and the like.
But the one I like is Windows XP Mode (or Legacy) – Allows you to run Windows XP SP3 inside Windows 7.
Used for compatibility with older programs such as the 32bit apps (Ex talking to the ECM in the Lux)

So its like choosing on a new girlfriend...you pick the one with the bigger boobs! :laugh2:
I got arrested for driving naked. I guess I shouldn’t have put four wheels, an engine, and a steering wheel on my bathtub.
I’m a do-it-yourself kind of lover.
” ― J. Kintz

Return to “Open Discussion”