Aluminium canopies purpose

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
StuckInTheMudd
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D-4D Xtracab 4x4

Aluminium canopies purpose

Post by StuckInTheMudd »

I might as well make my first post the n00biest one I can think of :D:

What is the purpose of those aluminum canopies? Are they more secure?
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Re: Aluminium canopies purpose

Post by ChrisF »

security ... maybe

IF properly manufactured - better suited for mounting a roof top tent.

Provides the basic structure for all kinds of gadgets added by 4x4 enthusiasts ....

side entry doors certainly are a MAJOR benefit - though you can now also get this in glass fibre canopies ...

hey, get with the program :tease: :twisted:

Gadgets look COOL. And cool stuff dont need to be explained .... :surrender: :surrender:
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 99 IFS DC 4x4

Post by niclemaitre »

The full length side doors are fantastic, the stronger roof is great to have and security.
Happy trails
Nic

SFA '97 DC - affirmatively shopped
SFA '87 DC "Rooies" - sold
IFS '99 DC "Benny"
Oupa Stig
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Johannesbug
Vehicle: Hilux KZTE 4X2 "Stagger Lee", Hilux IFS 2.7 4x4 "Loretta"

Post by Oupa Stig »

Put it this way: go take a close first-hand look at a few alucabs that have been modified by the more serious outdoors/offroad/camper/fisherman what-have-you type of guy (and odd gall).
You'll see how much easier it is to customise an alucab for your own unique needs than it is to do so with a fibreglass canopy.
Sure, for many it's just about the looks, but the serious dudes use them for serious stuff. :cooldude:
I feel a lot less wise at 45 than I did at 15.
Oupa Stig

Post by Oupa Stig »

Btw, welcome.
Rusti
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: capetown
Vehicle: 97 Hilux Raider 2.4

Post by Rusti »

Hi.

I had a fibreglass canopy on my bakkie and replaced it with aluminium. What a difference it makes to camping.. The side doors are fantastic as mentioned above.. The reason is that you can now reach every single thing in the back without having to climb in each time and reach over other things you don't need to remove.

Aluminium is also lighter so when you have an old SFA like mine any weight I can keep off of it helps keep good up hill speeds when weighed down by a billion other camping items.

Then the modifications mentioned above are so easy to build in a kitchen unit, fitting work lights at the back, mounting a roof top tent etc.. Everything is easier to install because the aluminium is easy to drill into but also strong enough to carry some serious weight. With fibreglass you need to put in other support bars to spread the weight of the RTT.
StuckInTheMudd
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by StuckInTheMudd »

The Go-Go-Gadgets! Of course!

I see how the side doors are useful, I keep having to do this drunken crapwalk kinda manoeuvre to fetch something that's rolled to the end.

Possibly spawning a new thread: how much effort is it to remove or mount a canopy? (either kind).

I'm still trying to decide whether to get a top or not. A canopy is useful sure, but I kinda like having an open bak too. Especially when moving a fridge or bed. Which happens about once every 2 years, maybe.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Removal of canopies :

glasfibre - classic bolt down brackets. Takes a few minutes to undo the bolts. Very simple rig - 4 rods hanging from the roof trusses, then hang the canopy on this. Friend actually attached four "hooks" to his canopy. One man job to remove the canopy and to refit it later.

alu-canopy - most are attached in the same manner, and could thus be removed with similar ease - IF you can reach those bolt down brackets !!!! Remember you now want to add doors and brackets and and and inside that canopy ... very soon you cant even see those brackets, never mind reach it.

all things being equal - alu-canopy without a doubt !

but please do your homework and try to look into the crystal ball ... try to predict your future use so that you may choose the correct Alu-canopy for your future needs ...

just to give you an idea of where this could lead - viewtopic.php?f=41&t=37810&p=452306&hil ... er#p452306" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Worth noting that rig stands 2,2m tall .. .thus HIGHER than a standard garage door, and higher than most undercover parking .... next step was a Friedlin-hoist, now the tent gets removed between trips. Leaving Paul with a standard bakkie with just another canopy between trips ....
Oupa Stig

Post by Oupa Stig »

Our double-cab's fibreglass canopy is on and off all the time. I like it on, my wife doesn't, so when she will be driving it for a while I have to take it of, and I put it back on again for myself.
I have not rigged something to make it easier to do this, as my only available roofspace is taken up by the roofrack (4meter long work, not play roofrack :D: ) which also goes on and off as I need it. That roofrack is for the singlecab, which has an ugly but probably the strongest alu-clad mildsteelframed canopy in the southern hemisphere on :laugh2: . This diy canopy can open on all sides. Practical - you want your heavy tools towards the front of the vehicle, not on the tail, amd with only rear access the temptation is there to simply dump the heavier toolboxes at the back. But with the sides opening I can put them at the front. The canopy has numerous tie-down loops inside so I can secure whatever I am transporting. It was built to WORK, and work it does.

The fibreglass canopy, on and off all the time... I don't like it, the canopy wears in unexpected places, and I'm not only talking about scratches, but stress fractures from being pushed and pulled and twisted and flexed as you maneuvre it off the vehicle and onto the ground.

It certainly is something I have to look into in the near future, how and where to store the thing when not in use without damaging it...
dalkill
Town: Cape TOwn
Vehicle: 2.4 GD6 SR D/C 4x4

Post by dalkill »

recently giving up on converting the frame on the canvas canopy to full alu canopy because of costs really.
seems such a waste to let a strong alu frame just sit in the garage but with design did not really make for neat looking alu canopy.

Alu welding is EXPENSIVE... i got a quote of R2400 to weld just the frame together. No cutting.

So i ended up goin fiberglass.

But if alu is roughly the same weight as midlsteel, why not more using it? it's cheaper, easier to work with (welding).
Besides rust factor, which galvanising can solve (not sure cost of this) ???
2016 2.4GD6 SR D/C 4x4 (Oct 2022 - current) (Buraaq VI)
2007 d4d 3.0 D/C 4x4 (Mar 2016 - July 2022) (Buraaq V)
2003 Isuzu KB300 D/C 4x4 (May 2015 - Feb 2016) aka Buraaq IV
2000 hilux DC 2.7 4x4 (Jul 2011 - Sep 2012) aka Buraaq III
1999 RXI 20v (Nov 2009 - Jul 2011) aka Quicksilver
1990 hilux DC 2.2 4x4 (Jun 2008 - Jul 2011) aka Buraaq II
1997 corolla 160i GLE (Feb 2007 - Sep 2009) aka Green Goblin
1990 GLI twincam (still my fav rolla) (Oct 2005 - Mar 2007) aka Wit Blitz
Golf GTI 2.0 (temp insanity for 2months) (Jun 2005 - Aug 2005) aka A mistake
1993 hilux SC 2.2 4x4 (April 2003 - Sept 2005) aka Buraaq

TOYOTA IS MY LEWE
Ou vale1
Town: Heidelberg
Vehicle: Hilux 2.5 D4D

Post by Ou vale1 »

I think this is why .........
Attachments
DSC_0037.jpg
DSC_0023.jpg
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by niclemaitre »

I built both of mine out of mild steel for only a small weight penalty. The steel can also be fixed by any one with a welder, in any dorpie in Africa. Alu - not so much
Happy trails
Nic

IFS '99 DC "Benny"
StuckInTheMudd
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by StuckInTheMudd »

So the alucabs are good for glamping? :laugh2: Looks very nice though

I like to take my dogs for drives too (sheepdogs enjoy driving in the bakkie more than I do). So I don't think shoving them into a sealed aluminium box would be very nice :/

Regarding the glassfiber canopies: When I had my canopy installed on my previous bakkie I had to go back after 6 weeks so they can retighten the bolts. The rubber seal had to settle or something. So will removing a canopy not mess with the rubber lining?

I've also considered getting an aluminium slider. So I can have an open bak but I can also "secure" luggage easily by sliding it closed.

PS. I put "secure" in quotes because T.I.A.
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

This is why I have an aluminium canopy...

The versatility of a fibreglass canopy cannot be compared to that of an aluminium canopy. The access if so much better, it is stronger, and with little or no trouble tracks can be fitted that will allow you to attach a wide variety of stuff to the outside. Roofrack, jerry cans, equipment and much more. Security is also much improved.

A fibreglass canopy is okay if you are driving about town most of the time and you want to keep the contents on the back of your bakkie dry or prevent long fingers from liberating it. It is also more streamlines, and will probably improve gas milage. It has windows so the doggies can look out to bark at the post man. But without proper reinforcement a fibreglass canopy will not be able to withstand the kind of abuse an aluminium canopy can over the long run.

Aluminium canopies are lighter than both steel AND fibreglass canopies. As a matter of fact, steel is about 2.5 times more dense than aluminium, thus much heavier.

Yes you get people who equip their canopies with all sorts of little cupboards and cabinets... but life would just be too boring without them... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by niclemaitre »

ThysdJ wrote:As a matter of fact, steel is about 2.5 times more dense than aluminium, thus much heavier
This is true, but not the entire story. Aluminium tubing is not as rigid as steel, so they have to use comparatively thicker section than you would to achieve the same strength with steel. So in the end it works out pretty close. I did the sums for my canopy and the aluminium frame was only 8-10kg lighter than the steel. The saving would be even less on a canopy like yours (with a conventional horizontal half door at the rear) as you don't have all the framing and bracing that allows me to mount the spare on the door at the rear.
Happy trails
Nic

IFS '99 DC "Benny"
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

niclemaitre wrote:
ThysdJ wrote:As a matter of fact, steel is about 2.5 times more dense than aluminium, thus much heavier
This is true, but not the entire story. Aluminium tubing is not as rigid as steel, so they have to use comparatively thicker section than you would to achieve the same strength with steel. So in the end it works out pretty close. I did the sums for my canopy and the aluminium frame was only 8-10kg lighter than the steel. The saving would be even less on a canopy like yours (with a conventional horizontal half door at the rear) as you don't have all the framing and bracing that allows me to mount the spare on the door at the rear.
now start working with thin wall steel tubing. and gussets to strengthen the corners ....

The final steel product dont have to weigh a lot more !

BUT, and this is a BIG but for the guys at the coast - RUST .... you better make SURE of your rust treatment before you have nice brown stains down your bakkies paintwork ... :shock2: :naah:
StuckInTheMudd
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by StuckInTheMudd »

Inciteful info, thanks guys.

How hot do alucabs get inside?

Do alucabs have varieties with side windows similar to the fiberglass counterpart? Don't really want to put my dogs in the back of a policevan :naah:

How much effort is it to erect and to make flaccid rooftop tents? How do they stand up against wind?

I'm currently at that crossroad in a man's life where he tries to decide between single cab or double cab...
Dowe Koos
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Buschwagen 2.7 4x4

Post by Dowe Koos »

Hi Ed, if you had a family for the next ten to fifteen years, go for a DC. If your kids is already out of the house, go for a SC. I have a SC and had more than enough space for all my needs. No trailer or caravan. I had made my canopy frame out of steel and the rest like doors and cladding is aluminium. I trust steel more than aluminium for its sturdiness. Its true to make sure when you paint or powdercoat, do a proper job to prevent rust. Funny thing about how hot it is inside the canopy, sofar my experience it is cool. Think the aluminium is reflecting most of the sun' s ray away and that is why it is cool inside.
Ecc 1:9 Wat gewees het, dit sal daar weer wees; en wat gebeur het, dit sal weer gebeur, en daar is glad niks nuuts onder die son nie.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

With our LARGE Aluminium canopy on Elders I was VERY surprized that it hardly ever got hot. And once you open it, it would cool down in a few minutes - much quicker than the previous glass fibre canopy.

Side windows, number off, placement, size etc etc are all part and parcel of the package for "custom design" :)

If I had to design my perfect canopy today:
- Aluminium
- One large and one small door per side.
- The small door clossest to the cab, to give access into the bakkie.
- The large door with a "cpboard" for packing stuff ...
- slider at the back ... with packing space above the slider.
- then a devider for that section nearest the cab, braai wood etc ... or in your case for the dogs. Maybe get a removable door, with a vented replacement for when they go along ....

We are now in that in between phase .... 90% of the time just the two of us. But all too often the aunt that goes with. And not often enough, the godson that joins us. I would opt for a clubcab - seating for when you need it. Space for the fridge when you dont need the seating, and still maximum space in the back. Double cab provides the seating, but so often you see them towing a trailer as the double cab actually has limited packing space ... But the "right package" certainly is different for each family, and changes for that family as the kids grows ...
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Granted Nick, tubing is slightly larger/thicker than steel. The big point on the alu canopy on the Vigo is that it weighs considerably less than the fibreglass unit it replaced.

Alu deflects heat, but there are lightweight solutions to insulate it quite s bit.

Fact is, it has a purpose, and its purpose is not just foor looks... It is able to work hard as well.
Thys de Jager

StuckInTheMudd
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by StuckInTheMudd »

How much would a custom aluminium job cost for a S/C? I'm thinking something similar to a fiberglass; side-windows, read & cab-window.
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Talk to Ciske at Gomad4x4 in Brackenfell. gomad@gomad4x4.co.za.. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager

ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Jip, GOMAD het lekker produkte !!

En met GOMAD kan jy begin met n basiese canopy, en soos jou behoeftes en beursie toelaat sal hulle later weer werk aan dit en dit verder customise vir jou.

Soos Thys gesê het - daar is nie n perfekte canopy uitleg nie ... soos jou behoeftes verander GAAN jy wil "tweak" aan daai uitleg. :)
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Remember that the more windows you have to let light in the hotter the inside of the canopy will be.
Less windows less heat.
Read camping/overlanding tips in members articles.
Look at ChrisF 's idea of having removeable doors for your pets comfort and no windows.
My 2c worth.
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

lets not forget - TIA

windows = they see = you loose ...

hou maar die vensters tot n absolute minimum
StuckInTheMudd
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by StuckInTheMudd »

I'm also considering that I like to have vision behind me. Hence the windows.

If the windows are the factor contributing to heat then my reasoning is that it wouldn't get any hotter than a fiberglass. The vented door replacement is actually not a bad idea...

I hear you about inviting theft though. I want to put Smash & Grab tinting on them anyway. Perhaps that would help?

My counterargument to completely restricting view inside is that it is conspicuous and shows that I have things I'm trying to hide. That's why I usually leave my canopy and tailgate unlocked (if i'm not transporting belongings). If the A-hole wants to see whats inside he WILL look, either by trying if it's unlocked or unlocking it himself with a crowbar. Thoughts?
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

view to the back is an interesting debate on its own ....

Obviously you want clear view for reversing.

When driving, I find it calming NOT seeing the sods trying to park in my boot ....

Reverse camera, with an optional over ride switch to see something when you want worked fine in Elders. :)
StuckInTheMudd
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by StuckInTheMudd »

When those idiots try to save fuel by slipstreaming me I take great satisfaction in seeing their furious facial expressions as I slow down to 40km/h. :taunt:

But seriously though, I prefer seeing what's going on behind me. I like to make sure the woman driving behind me while she's texting is actually going to stop.
Oupa Stig

Post by Oupa Stig »

Never got around to fitting a rear window in mine. The side mirrors are large, gives me ample rear vision. Have done more than 150 000kms without issues.

As to the"hiding" stuff..... Never lock mine if it's empty. In fact, hardly ever lock it at all, except when having to park in the street with tools inside. When driving it's unlocked. Again, never had an issue, and I live in Joburg and have worked in some shady areas.... Ironicaly the only canopy theft (or should I say ATTEMPTED) was with the other bakkie with the fibreglass canopy on. Stopped at red light, guy ran up, ripped open the door that was in fact locked, breaking the mechanism, and tried to grab my son's suitcase, which was all that was in the back, and it was tied down. Long story short, I tried to reverse over him, missed, sadly, and he got nothing.

My one and only issue with the alu canopy on my singlecab is vision over your left shoulder. In a doublecab this is not much of a problem, you can look through the left rear window. But not in singlecab. You don't realise how often that is a handicap.... Managed to overcome that to a degree by sticking one of those blidspot mirrors on the left-hand mirror. But still it often is a problem. And I have issues with trusting passengers to tell me if there is traffic coming, how far and fast.....
StuckInTheMudd
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by StuckInTheMudd »

"issue with the alu canopy on my singlecab is vision over your left shoulder'
That's exactly what i'm concerned about.

Now if you had a reverse camera (with crosshairs) you would've nailed that f$#%er :lol:

Perhaps I should get a narrow trommel to fit behind the cab, secured to the rollbars. I can throw the loose small items in there where it's not as obvious. I'll paint it camo so that it cannot be seen.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Mickey YES, a side junction where are at 45 degrees was theeee worst with the alu canopy on the single cab !!

My wife had to check for oncoming vehicles. When alone I had to turn the wrong way to get a better angle ....
StuckInTheMudd
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by StuckInTheMudd »

Perhaps windows with burglar bars welded over....

Return to “Open Discussion”