SASOL is tops

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
Dowe Koos
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Buschwagen 2.7 4x4

SASOL is tops

Post by Dowe Koos »

Hallo almal. Ek het al voorheen genoem dat ek beter brandstofverbruik kry met Sasol. Vir die afgelope klompie maande het ek weer net met ander "brands" gery. Defnitief weer om en by 6 kilometer per liter gekry en die bakkie het nie krag gehad nie, kon nie 'n lang opdraende in 5de rat uitry nie. Het nou weer begin om SASOL in te gooi - kry so 1.5 klios meer uit op 'n liter en die bakkie ry lang opdraende lag-lag uit in 5de rat uit. Sasol is nie volop soos die ander "brands" nie maar ek het besluit om moeite te doen en sal ry na Sasol garage wat uit my pad is, net om Sasol te kan ingooi.
Ecc 1:9 Wat gewees het, dit sal daar weer wees; en wat gebeur het, dit sal weer gebeur, en daar is glad niks nuuts onder die son nie.
rigardt
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Alberton
Vehicle: 2012 DC Hilux D4D
Club VHF Licence: HC348

Re: SASOL is tops

Post by rigardt »

sjoe dis n groot verskil. jou bakkie is petrol ? gooi jy 93 of 95 in ?
Dowe Koos

Post by Dowe Koos »

Ecc 1:9 Wat gewees het, dit sal daar weer wees; en wat gebeur het, dit sal weer gebeur, en daar is glad niks nuuts onder die son nie.
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

I use Sasol 50ppm diesel only! But that's cause I get 5% back in cash with ABSA rewards!
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Wonder if we really get SASOL in Cape Town ....

I KNOW all other brands get their fuel from the only and only refinery in the Cape .....
Obelix and Dogmatix
Town: ROODEPOORT
Vehicle: HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix, donated to some clown, HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix II Onca front and rear Amade extreme Suspension and under water breathing apparatus

Post by Obelix and Dogmatix »

All fuel companies share there depots TOTAL and engen work together a lot BP and Sasol also share depots. The only difference in the fuel you buy at different petrol companies is the additives that they add to the trucks before they send them out to tip up the garages. Otherwise the fuel is exactly the same. For us in Guateng the fuel comes from Durban via the petro net pipeline. So Dowe Koos it is the additives that make the difference
Rules are there to make you think before you break them!!!
God made man before
woman so as to give him time
to think of an answer
for her first question
COMMON SENCE IS NOT A GIFT, IT IS A PUNISHMENT!! BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO DEAL WITH EVERYONE WHO DOES NOT HAVE IT!!!
Dowe Koos

Post by Dowe Koos »

Ja Quinten, ek hoor jou. Baie jare terug toe ek nog die 84 SFA gehad het, het ek sonder vrag 7 kilos 'n liter gekry en met vrag 5 kilos. Dit was nog met die ou 18R enjin. Ek kom eendag by 'n spesialis uit wat my carb gemodify het en gesê dat ek net SASOL moet gebruik. Sonder vrag 9.4 kilos 'n liter en met vrag 8.6 kilos. Dit was ook in die jare toe jy by elke garage 'n Sasol pomp kon kry. Sover dit my kennis strek is die petrol by Sasol geniune SASOL petrol. Sal weer bietjie navorsing doen om seker te maak. Chow.
Oupa Stig
Town: Johannesbug
Vehicle: Hilux KZTE 4X2 "Stagger Lee", Hilux IFS 2.7 4x4 "Loretta"

Post by Oupa Stig »

Interessant. Sal bietjie die Sasol 95 probeer op die 2.7.

Wat ek wel ondervind het, en hoekom ek tot dusver Sasol soos pes vermy het is dat die 50ppm diesel vir my baie swakker kilos gee op die KZ om een of ander rede. En dit was nie net op een geleentheid nie. Het dit herhaaldelik beleef oor die jare met die KZ, tot ek Sasol afgeskryf het.
I feel a lot less wise at 45 than I did at 15.
Obelix and Dogmatix
Vehicle: HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix, donated to some clown, HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix II Onca front and rear Amade extreme Suspension and under water breathing apparatus

Hennie ek is besig met n project by een van die BP depots en glo my daai blou Sasol trokke maak almal daar vol.
God made man before
to think of an answer
for her first question
COMMON SENCE IS NOT A GIFT, IT IS A PUNISHMENT!! BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO DEAL WITH EVERYONE WHO DOES NOT HAVE IT!!!
Dowe Koos

Post by Dowe Koos »

Maak hulle vol of LAAI HULLE AF. :lmao: :laugh2:
Obelix and Dogmatix

Maak vol die petrol kom met die pyplyn
God made man before
to think of an answer
for her first question
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Obelix and Dogmatix wrote:Hennie ek is besig met n project by een van die BP depots en glo my daai blou Sasol trokke maak almal daar vol.
het ook n projek of twee gehad by die plaaslike rafinadery .... dan staan AL die "brands" in n lyn om brandstof te kry ...

soos voorheen gesê - slegs die bymiddels wat verskil.

Sekerlik is daar n area langs die mynhope wat regte egte SASOL kry .... twyfel net sterk of ons ooit daai regte SASOL hier by die see sal kry ...
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Many years back when I still did work for the Royal Dutch Shell Company, I was told that the fuel companies had agreements whereby one would refine for all the others in country A while another would refine in country B and so on, so that there was no need for refinery duplication in each different country, thus saving massive expenses. At that time Shell refined for the whole of RSA.

Of course this would logically apply only to international companies, so Sasol would be an exception unless they had an individual agreement with Shell. If not, I would assume that they have their own distribution network.

Maybe someone here knows more about the current set up. :think:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Many moons back we spoke of the Cape Town based refinery as the "Caltex tanks".

Over time it became Chevron.

Read last year that they now want to sell it, as the exchange rate is eating away at their profitability ...
Scott
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: Hilux SFA

Post by Scott »

As far as I know that they all use same fuel and even the tankers carry their own branding so a tanker can fill different brand filling stations.However the Sasol mix has some concern with injector failure as some of the manufacturers have noticed that coastal vehicles injectors last twice as long.? would like to see some clarification.
Obelix and Dogmatix

ChrisF wrote:Many moons back we spoke of the Cape Town based refinery as the "Caltex tanks".

Read last year that they now want to sell it, as the exchange rate is eating away at their profitability ...
Chevron has been trying to sell that refinery for ages but the plant is so out dated that no one wants to buy it ie would be cheaper to build a new one. Chevron actually wants to pull out of Africa but the refinery is what is keeping it here.

Caltex is the africa name for chevron in the bad old days
God made man before
to think of an answer
for her first question
Obelix and Dogmatix

Mud Dog wrote:Many years back when I still did work for the Royal Dutch Shell Company, I was told that the fuel companies had agreements whereby one would refine for all the others in country A while another would refine in country B and so on, so that there was no need for refinery duplication in each different country, thus saving massive expenses. At that time Shell refined for the whole of RSA.

Of course this would logically apply only to international companies, so Sasol would be an exception unless they had an individual agreement with Shell. If not, I would assume that they have their own distribution network.

Maybe someone here knows more about the current set up. :think:

Andy read higher up. She'll and BP are in bed together.
God made man before
to think of an answer
for her first question
Dowe Koos

Post by Dowe Koos »

Hallo Quinten, het gisteraand vir een van die groot base 'n brief geskryf oor hierdie aangeleentheid. As ek na drie weke niks hoor van hulle nie, dan neem ek aan Sasol is nie wat hy moet wees nie. Andersin kyk ons maar of hulle gaan terug antwoord. Sal julle laat weet.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Obelix and Dogmatix wrote:
ChrisF wrote:Many moons back we spoke of the Cape Town based refinery as the "Caltex tanks".

Chevron has been trying to sell that refinery for ages but the plant is so out dated that no one wants to buy it ie would be cheaper to build a new one. Chevron actually wants to pull out of Africa but the refinery is what is keeping it here.

Caltex is the africa name for chevron in the bad old days
about 20 years back there was a CLEAR distance between "Caltex" and the residential areas ....

no more.

If they did a MHI assesment today the blast radius surely would take out a few nearby buildings ....

not to mention that dreadful smell that always hangs around it. CANT be good for the health of the people living there ....

The refinery should be relocated to Saldanha - wonder if this port can handle the large oil tankers ???

now imagine all the back hands in making such a deal come to life .....
Obelix and Dogmatix

Chris the port of saldanha would be able to handle those tankers as one of south Africa strategic oil reserves is currently located between langebaan and Vredenburg and is currently being extended to increase our oil reserves. But the cost of moving or building a new refinery would be the problem. Does the west coast not have enough pollutants with saldanha steel and namakwa sands as well as the iron ore jetty throwing it's red dust all over the show?
God made man before
to think of an answer
for her first question
Scott
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: Hilux SFA

Post by Scott »

Off Toti they pump the oil and do not come into the harbor.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Is this not the modern era where "we" want the perks of the industrial era, as long as the polutants are the problem of the "other guy" ....

sadly one needs to take a drive through Saldanha to SEE what polutants are !!!

even the living plants are rusting ....

sadly we are trashing the planet ....

sorry, going slightly off topic
Obelix and Dogmatix

I lead you in that direction. And yet I worked on both namakwa one and two.
God made man before
to think of an answer
for her first question
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Quentin and yet the technology DO exist for these industries to emit much less "emissions" .... but the "bottom line" remains the driver ....

Part of my day job is air conditioning .... IRKS me when clients (developers) are driven by the bottom line. Sure, I do understand the mathematics of business. BUT, we are in an era where the extra capital layout today CAN be recovered in energy savings in a reasonable time frame. It IS now possible to have 10 or 15 year budget and still come out ahead while using energy efficient solutions.

BUT, that reasoning falls by the way side when the developer is not the end user .... Developer looks at profit right now, and the end user destroys the planet ....

We have SANS204 - Energy Efficiency Regulations ..... and though the intent is good, it does not address the real problems .....

Stopping a home owner from adding one more sliding door is not the answer. "forcing" developers to embrace systemic solutions, now here we can start saving the planet ...
Dowe Koos

Post by Dowe Koos »

ChrisF wrote:Quentin and yet the technology DO exist for these industries to emit much less "emissions" .... but the "bottom line" remains the driver ....

Part of my day job is air conditioning .... IRKS me when clients (developers) are driven by the bottom line. Sure, I do understand the mathematics of business. BUT, we are in an era where the extra capital layout today CAN be recovered in energy savings in a reasonable time frame. It IS now possible to have 10 or 15 year budget and still come out ahead while using energy efficient solutions.

BUT, that reasoning falls by the way side when the developer is not the end user .... ##### Developer looks at profit right now, and the end user destroys the planet....#####

We have SANS204 - Energy Efficiency Regulations ..... and though the intent is good, it does not address the real problems .....

Stopping a home owner from adding one more sliding door is not the answer. "forcing" developers to embrace systemic solutions, now here we can start saving the planet ...
Chris, jy is n man na my hart. Dit wat jy hier se is wat ek al die jare vir mense se maar weet nie of hulle dit verstaan nie. Bly om te sien daar is iemand wat soos ek voel.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Hennie daar is al meer mense in die industrie met die benadering.

Universiteit Stellenbosch het selfs nou n Meesters Graag in hernubare energie. Daar is al meer briljante mense daar buite met puik idees.

Ek bly steeds hoopvol vir die toekoms. (die alternatief is net te tragies)
Dowe Koos

Post by Dowe Koos »

Nouja Quinten, drie weke later nog niks van Sasol gehoor nie. So jou stelling mag dalk waar wees dat soos ander brands hulle petrol by dieselfde depots kry. Watter additives Sasol ookal ingooi dink ek maak dat ek beter brandstof verbruik kry as met ander brands.
Chow.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Dowe Koos wrote:Nouja Quinten, drie weke later nog niks van Sasol gehoor nie. So jou stelling mag dalk waar wees dat soos ander brands hulle petrol by dieselfde depots kry. Watter additives Sasol ookal ingooi dink ek maak dat ek beter brandstof verbruik kry as met ander brands.
Chow.
as jy REGTIG wil weet of daar n verskil is - laat mamma die tenk volmaak, en sy mag nie sê waar nie .... na so paar tenks mag die resultate baie interessant wees .... :shock2: :crazy: :siffler:

mens se groot toon is maar DIE gelykmaker ....
Dirka
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Doornpoort Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 V6 4X4 Auto DC

Post by Dirka »

Yes...it is true.
All our petrol lays in the same tanks and pipes before it goes to the various distributors and outlets.
This is just before each company adds their own dirty little secret doepas and muties called 'additives'.
The only question is with what and by how much? :blink:
Well..it's almost as with ouma's secret milktart recipe..we don't really know.
There is also a legal industry standard that they have to abide to as by with what and by how much.

And this is maybe the reason (I Think) why Sasol goes the extra mile as reported here by the forum members.

It's because they might be throwing in less additives!! :shock2:

You see...theres one thing and one thing only that gives petrol it's 'bang'..
..and that is the hydrocarbons in it. (A large amount of about 95%)
There's also other (small amounts) of key compounds as to the composition of petrol and they are
(If I can remeber correctly) stuff like hydrogen, nitrogen, oxygen and sulphur.
And then there's a few trace elements and/or metals making up a very small percentage of the petrol composition.

So there we have it. If we now can do the 1+1 thing..
..the more 'additives' they put in...the less carbon stays behind that gives us wooma. :shock2:

And does the 'Techron' in Caltex really clean our engines?
Well..we all know that even water can do that. It's easy to see where that top gasket leaked engine coolant
if we yank off the head. The piston with the leaking water will be all bright and shiny and clean.

And the V-power in Shell?
Nothing, Nada, Zigolo. It's marketing strategy.. :siffler:

So once again I ask the question..
Might it not make viable financial sense if we add cheaper than untreated fuel 'additives' that saves us 3c/litre
on a sale of a billion litres / annum?
Jeez..with that kind of Randelas.. each fuel coy share holder can buy his own Nkandla.. :twisted:
This is where I'm going to call halt on this subject. I think you get the picture. :angel:

93/95 Octane petrol?

Hell..now this is a different story on it's own that can become a very looooooooong post/reply. :surrender:
But in short..
The octane indicator in petrol has got nothing to do with the amount of 'bang'
that you get out of your very expensive juices at the petrol station.

They raise the octane in petrol with (once again I'm posting under correction)..with ethanol.
Reason?
Here goes..

"The amount of octane in petrol is related to the level of spontanious combustion that will occur under a certain amount of pressure."

This is a fenomenum that we are all very well accustomed to called "Ping"

Ping is not good. We don't want that. No no no. :naah:
Having a piston being forced downwards BTDC and the rest of the engine forcing it in the opposite direction..
No. Not good at all. Provides huge amounts of unnecessarily stresses and creating all sorts of problems..

So..
Better bang for your buck with 95?
..Unfortunately not.
Better clean burn with less carbon buildup and and and and and...with 95?
Once again..Unfortunately not so.
If your Lux is happy with 93..then use that and buy your lovely wife a bunch of flowers with the savings. :laugh2:
If the manual says use 95...then use that.
Maybe a weeeeeee little bit better after TDC if the engine is put under load in the lower rev range
prohibiting ping at higher pressures...but we're talking very small amounts here.
(Almost like a R10 at a cafe these days...net 'n hoessie en 'n poep dans dit klaar!) :lmao:

So all in all short end of the story here is: the more carbon you have in your tank.. the further youl'll go.
It's that simple. :cooldude:

Hope this shed some light.
Pse do correct or add or anything.

Regards
Dirk

:thumbup:
I got arrested for driving naked. I guess I shouldn’t have put four wheels, an engine, and a steering wheel on my bathtub.
I’m a do-it-yourself kind of lover.
” ― J. Kintz
Dowe Koos

Post by Dowe Koos »

Hallo almal, dis weer ek met my Sasol. Het die naweek gery met my bike, BMW 800 GS, van Pretoria na Baberton, 335 kilometer - kry toe 21,6 kilos op 'n liter, natuurlik met Sasol. Maak vol by BP in Baberton en toe moes ek weer volmaak by Middelburg Shell, wat kry ek toe - 17 kilos 'n liter. Hier is die bewys nou weer - Sasol is TOPS.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Hennie tyd vir "double blind" toets ..

Twee jerry kanne vol petrol - een met Sasol en een van n ander "brand". Laat iemand anders die twee kanne vol maak - so jy weet NIE wat is in watter kan nie.

Drein die fiets se tenk, maak vol uit een kan, ry leeg
Maak vol uit die ander kan en ry leeg.

Nou weet jy NIE watter trip het watter petrol gehad nie .. so jy kan nie jou ry-styl aanpas om n sekere uitkoms te bereik nie, nie eens onbewustelik nie.

As jy die brandstof verbruik vir alby kanne het, vra dan die persoon watter kan het die sasol in ....
petri oosthuizen
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: bethlehem
Vehicle: 98 Nissan Patrol GRX, 1996 Hilux 2,4 D S/Cab SFA, 2007 Merc CL 500

Post by petri oosthuizen »

Hennie thanks vir die thread, ek het 'n Sasol oppad huis toe, sal bietjie daar gaan volmaak....maar ek moet se, ek weet nie of daai 2700 van my NOG ligter op juice kan wees nie.
Ek gooi 93 in......is dit verkeerd, moet ek maar 95 vat??
" Fear?? Looking over at Joe Louis' Corner, and knowing Joe wants to go home early tonight"...….Max Baer
Dowe Koos

Post by Dowe Koos »

Hallo Chris, my bike was so te sê leeg toe ek Sasol ingegooi het. Ek was so beindruk gewees met die brandstof verbruik dat ek eintlik vergeet het dat ek Sasol ingegooi het. By Baberton gooi ek toe BP in waar die tenk ook so te sê leeg was en op Middelburg toe ek weer volmaak onthou ek eers dat ek Sasol ingegooi het die vorige dag. Ek sal daardie proefneming doen, maar glo vas Sasol sal wen.
Hallo Petri, ek het eers vir lank 93 ingegooi omdat dit goedkoper was maar het altyd gekla oor die hoë brandstof verbruik. Op 'n dag besluit ek dat ek 95 moet ingooi en kon dadelik sien ek kom bietjie verder met 95 as met 93. In 2015 besluit ek toe maar om Sasol 95 te probeer en toe van daaraf gebruik ek net Sasol. verskil van 93 na ander brads se 95 na Sasol 95 is soos gevolg - 6 kilos 'n liter na 6.4 kilos na 7.2 kilos. 95 is duurder maar jy kom verder daarmee as 93. Probeer jouself en laat weet wat kry jy.
petri oosthuizen
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Hennie, ek was gou Hennenman toe en terug. Het die Hilux volgemaak op 1117 km op die tenk (so te se leeg), 8,79 km per liter op daai Sasol 95 gekry. Ek het nou weer (moes) met Shell 95 volmaak op Senekal.

So.........Sasol is definitief sover die ligste, ek het op een lang trip 8,4 gekry, toe 6,6 (BAIE swaar sleep), toe het Ma 8,6 gekry, en nou ek weer 8,8. :shock2:

Weet ook nie of ek my verbeel nadat ek jou comments gelees het nie, maar dis asof die Lux beter teen opdraandes trek.

Ek sal beslis weer Sasol 95 gooi waar moontlik.
" Fear?? Looking over at Joe Louis' Corner, and knowing Joe wants to go home early tonight"...….Max Baer
Dowe Koos

Post by Dowe Koos »

Ja Petri, brandstof verbruik baie beter as enige ander maak en is baie sterker teen opdraende. Sien joune doen beter as myne.
Ou vale1
Town: Heidelberg
Vehicle: Hilux 2.5 D4D

Post by Ou vale1 »

Die rafinaderye verwerk ru-olie na 'hydrocarbons", Sasol doen dieselfde uit steenkool. Natref, Sapref en Engen pomp die produkte na Secunda waar dit geblend word met ander produkte om petrol te lewer. Almal laai by Sasol on voeg hul eie bietjie doepa by, maar ek weet wragtag nie of daai liter op 'n petrol tenker enige verskil kan maak nie.
Dowe Koos

Post by Dowe Koos »

Ja Koos, almal praat van selfde depots, selfde petrol maar dat elke brand sy bymiddel insit. Maar die feit van die saak is dat ek defnitief beter brandstof verbruik kry met Sasol en Petri het dit vandag weer bevestig. Nog beter as myne.
petri oosthuizen
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Sal interessant wees as mens fisies kon toets, bv hoe ver ry jy met presies 10 liter brandstof teen presies selfde spoed, selfde kar, selfde drywer, ens ens.

??
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

Hennie, sien die 2 nuwe Sasol garages daar by Rainbow Junction is oop (Onderstepoort pad)

Return to “Open Discussion”