Wifi 4 home. Please help!!!

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
grobbepj
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Alberton
Vehicle: Hilux legend 35 4x4 3.0kzte D/C

Post by grobbepj »

Hi all,

I am now wondering way out of my field and knows very little to nothing about the whole wifi thing etc. But we moved into a new premise and now want to sort out a proper internet supply for the home to curb the data cost on the cell phones.

Basically what we want is the following:
Need to connect at least 6 devices
Uses for tablets software updates etc (read kids youtube)
Showmax and netflix (thinking of cancelling dstv). So i started looking at this mine field and was told telkom uncapped lte is he best... But we dont fall in the coverage areas.

Telkom the propsed a 100GB capped package for R999 a month including a wifi router (need permanent power supply). Is 100GB sufficient? We will only get 3G coverage (smaal chance for lte)

Then we came over another "independent" supplier in our area (with at least good reputation) that can give us the following:

Uncapped unshaped and no max usage limit package at followong speed and price:
2mb/s R499pm
6mb/s R899pm
8mb/s R1199pm
10mb/s R1499
This also requires a once off R2500 installation for a dish on the roof receiver and wifi router. And they garantee proper reception at promised rates. Totally fixed to home use.

Now a few questions:
Which should you prefer and why?
What Mb/s speed is fine for showmax etc (out needs)
How does 3g/ lte compare to these speeds.

Sorry for all the questions but its a lot of money either way and dont want a lemon or loads of frustration at the end. And Injust dont know enough to make a call. Any help/inputs will be appreciated.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Re: Wifi 4 home. Please help!!!

Post by ChrisF »

subscribed ....

something else to consider - which provider for the movies and sport ... Read an article which basically concluded that you will end with 2 or 3 providers to get the range of movies, series and sports ....

Then the concept of streaming vs downloads - streaming you need to watch while it downloads, thus the potential for hickups if the system gets slow. Compared to those where you can download and watch later - now a thinner pipe can work, but it becomes a task to schedule downloads and manage your data to watch it later .....

It seems the total cost then still exceeds Dstv and it will add a schlep factor that I dont want at this stage ... I said "seems" .... will follow this thread to learn from those that have figured out this minefield.
grobbepj

Post by grobbepj »

I posted the same on the community forum with some replies. Maybe something there will also help you Chris.

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/sho ... p?t=253115" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Dankie

seems we are still very much in the infancy of this technology ...

I prefer not to be on the cutting edge of technology ... been cut before ...

still will be VERY interesting to see this landscape in 5 years time ..... doubt if dstv will still have the same monopoly ....
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

That Cell C deal with the 20Gb doesn't look too bad, but got bitten with their data before where I suspect their IT bufs were stealing my data,...

Heard a few people that don't have dstv anymore and stream everything as a lot of the shows on tv could be downloaded. Not sure what shows are available....but with all the repeats it is tempting to go the streaming route
Mr H
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Vehicle: 3 d4d Fortuner

Post by Mr H »

Subscribed...
Henk_B
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0L V6 4x4 Auto

Post by Henk_B »

I have done what you have described a couple of years ago.

I work from home, thus got a Telkom 4Mb line and an Mweb uncapped bundle (I Pay Mweb line rental, they pay telkom). Service is great. Included is a wifi router.

You have to pay the installation costs for Telkom to put the line in your house from the pole. This is normally reflected on your first invoice. Cost was R460 for uncapped internet and line rental with Mweb, and then R150 for telephone line rental with Telkom. Thus about R600.

Internet works great, I have 2 laptop, 3 tablets and 3 cellphones running at any given time from the router, no issues.

Then start of this year, I cancelled DSTV and got netflix. After about 20 days, my account got throttled. Phoned Mweb, account is over the 110Gb "soft cap" and that is being throttled. Note that I use about 30G on my work and the rest is TV (not that we do watch a lot of TV).

However, I upgraded to Mweb Premium, where they charge me now R770 (inclusive of line rental) and then Telkom 150 telephone line rental. My soft cap is only now at 400Gb.

With work and TV we do about 180-250Gb per month. In the end, it works out much better than DSTV, cause for me the shows on Netflix etc is so much better than RepeatTV (even though the amount I pay is the same).

I have also gotten an apple box 3rd Gen for cheap, and that connects wirelessly to my router. I have checked how much it can take. I have been connected on 2 skype video conferences and the kids was watching netflix, and no issue on lagging or buffering.

Do not get sucked into the whole MB speed rental, especially with Telkom. Find out what your box to where you connects are enabled. If the max speed is 4MB/s, then it is no use to buy 10Mb/s, as you are just paying for something that you will not get.

I hope this helps.
dalkill
Town: Cape TOwn
Vehicle: 2.4 GD6 SR D/C 4x4

Post by dalkill »

Rant ON

i cancelled my DSTV many years ago. Could not bear to pay for the same repeated stuff over and over. New repeat channel - Channel 901 playing everything andhour later, for you convenience. BULL... just another excuse to add to their "impressive" tally of channels. A year after i cancelled my DSTV i saw my kids watching the same cartoon at moms place as when we had dstv. So glad i got rid of that crap.

Rant OFF

Back to your question. I have done the 3G route. Telkom product R199 for 10gb per month. And note the fine print. that is 10gb anytime data. Not the crap cell c and other advertise these days. 60gb for Rxxx then it split 30gb anytime and 30gb at ungodly hours of the morning when nobody awake.
It could be of use if you a person that downloads alot. I generally don't till i got the PS4. Now i download alot of game updates - but i start it and pause it while i play and when i put it off it starts to download - sometimes at night or during the day. SO for most people you paying for something you will never use.

AS for 3G perfomance. It was good for most things. NOT for gaming. You will be tempted to throw the controller at the screen. THe lag on 3G is painful. With 7mbps dongle i regurlarly got 5mbps DL and 2mbps upload. Streaming was smooth, not that i did alot of that with only 10gb.

Not that ADSL is any better. I now have an uncapped 2mb line from telkom. R579 per month. Was on one of their specials. included installation, WIFI ADSL router, 3g dongle with 12 x 200mb data, free weekend landline to landline calls.
Now i only get about max 1.5mbps DL, but here is the killer.. max on a good day 0.5mbps UL. For first person shooter competing online, you dead before you even register it on your screen.
Streaming OK if I am on youtube alone. As soon as 2 or more people on internet, with one streaming, be prepared to wait for page loads. And my kids live on youtube now that we got uncapped - they spend more time watching youtube vids on minecraft than playing the game itself. I had to confiscate their devices for the exams now else their would have been no studying done. I'm not sure how much data we use a month but never been throttled.

So for you wanting to cancel DSTV, which if you not a sport addict, then i would say do it, get netflix (don't bother with Showmax - just as useless). But then you need at least +4mbps line. AS Henk_B mentioned, make sure you exchange is capable of the speed you going for.

That no max usage dish option (is that sattelite data / 3g dongle fitted on dish to enhance connectivity?) sound like a good one. BUT depends if you need the faster response of adsl over wireless. there is always going to be more lag with wireless just by the nature of the beast. But if you not gaming online, then i would say it's fine. I worked from home on 3g dongle and it works well.

Please let us know if you do go for that wireless dish option. Really intrigued by it. Looks like good alternative to telkom adsl or expensive mobile data charges. I just hate paying for somehitng i don't use. With ADSL you get voice line rental forced on you. Last month i used none of my free landline to landline calls. We have cellphones. Why we need landline.
2016 2.4GD6 SR D/C 4x4 (Oct 2022 - current) (Buraaq VI)
2007 d4d 3.0 D/C 4x4 (Mar 2016 - July 2022) (Buraaq V)
2003 Isuzu KB300 D/C 4x4 (May 2015 - Feb 2016) aka Buraaq IV
2000 hilux DC 2.7 4x4 (Jul 2011 - Sep 2012) aka Buraaq III
1999 RXI 20v (Nov 2009 - Jul 2011) aka Quicksilver
1990 hilux DC 2.2 4x4 (Jun 2008 - Jul 2011) aka Buraaq II
1997 corolla 160i GLE (Feb 2007 - Sep 2009) aka Green Goblin
1990 GLI twincam (still my fav rolla) (Oct 2005 - Mar 2007) aka Wit Blitz
Golf GTI 2.0 (temp insanity for 2months) (Jun 2005 - Aug 2005) aka A mistake
1993 hilux SC 2.2 4x4 (April 2003 - Sept 2005) aka Buraaq

TOYOTA IS MY LEWE
Bosfebok
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Roodekrans
Vehicle: 1995 Hilux Raider 2.2
Club VHF Licence: X248

Post by Bosfebok »

Get Telkom ADSL, but do not use them as your ISP. Other ISP's can even manage your Telkom ADSL for you.
Then get something like this on Uncapped:
https://www.cybersmart.co.za/uncapped/ Very good pricing at 4MB linespeed.

I stream at home to 2 streaming devices using 4MB line and subscription. No isues at all.Have 3 tablets and 2 laptops...no probs.

I then bought my own D-Link wifi router. Note that streaming to a Smart TV or TV BOX os much faster if you use cable and not WiFi for streaming.

For phones and tables and laptiops, Wifi is fine.

Hope you come right.
Otto X248
1995 Hilux Raider 2.2 EFI Turbo DC
Alucab Canopy with Kitchen and Recovery sections
National Luna Split Charge system and Dual Battery
80W solar panel and MPPT controller
20.5" LED BAR
5ton tow bar with recovery points
Nudge-M front bumper
80l Long Range Fuel Tank
90l Water Tank
Slide Drawer System
Safari Snorkel
Double Lockers - Toyota Electric selectable
Diff breathers
The worst anti hi-jack alarm system ever, SANJI!!

A bad day out is still better than a good day in!!
grobbepj

Post by grobbepj »

Henk_B wrote:I have done what you have described a couple of years ago.

I work from home, thus got a Telkom 4Mb line and an Mweb uncapped bundle (I Pay Mweb line rental, they pay telkom). Service is great. Included is a wifi router.

You have to pay the installation costs for Telkom to put the line in your house from the pole. This is normally reflected on your first invoice. Cost was R460 for uncapped internet and line rental with Mweb, and then R150 for telephone line rental with Telkom. Thus about R600.

Internet works great, I have 2 laptop, 3 tablets and 3 cellphones running at any given time from the router, no issues.

Then start of this year, I cancelled DSTV and got netflix. After about 20 days, my account got throttled. Phoned Mweb, account is over the 110Gb "soft cap" and that is being throttled. Note that I use about 30G on my work and the rest is TV (not that we do watch a lot of TV).

However, I upgraded to Mweb Premium, where they charge me now R770 (inclusive of line rental) and then Telkom 150 telephone line rental. My soft cap is only now at 400Gb.

With work and TV we do about 180-250Gb per month. In the end, it works out much better than DSTV, cause for me the shows on Netflix etc is so much better than RepeatTV (even though the amount I pay is the same).

I have also gotten an apple box 3rd Gen for cheap, and that connects wirelessly to my router. I have checked how much it can take. I have been connected on 2 skype video conferences and the kids was watching netflix, and no issue on lagging or buffering.

Do not get sucked into the whole MB speed rental, especially with Telkom. Find out what your box to where you connects are enabled. If the max speed is 4MB/s, then it is no use to buy 10Mb/s, as you are just paying for something that you will not get.

I hope this helps.
Thanks Henk, this does help a lot tonhave some figures ito usage. So if I understand you correct a 4mb/s line is working great for netflix? Not too slow with constant buffering?

Good enough for skype as well? Wife would love having better conmection to the telatives abroad...
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Kyalami
Vehicle: Hilux 2006 3.0D4D 2x4 DC

Post by Mikie »

I posted a long reply yesterday but for some reason it didnt save

This is my personal opinion, stay away from the wifi, they cant guarantee speeds or even the longevity of their connection, wifi signals are susceptible to interference, if something starts causing interference in your area, poof there goes yout signal, or at least degrades it
Check for fibre in your area, that would be first prize.
Telkom LTE, uncapped would be great, else check their capped packages, Their coverage is generally pretty good and most areas are covered, although I see Meyerton is pretty limited
http://www.telkom.co.za/coverage/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have Telkom Uncapped LTE, I dont know how I ever did without it, its awesome, I stream with no issues at all

Failing all of the above, ADSL.
Henk_B
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Henk_B »

Unfortunately there is no fibre in my neighbourhood yet, and I will pay a small fortune for LTE..

4Mb line is plenty to watch netflix and skype etc. I run a lot of webex video conferences while the kids look at netflix, and no issues. And this is with wifi, laptop on wifi and the apple box on wifi also.
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mikie »

Henk_B wrote:Unfortunately there is no fibre in my neighbourhood yet, and I will pay a small fortune for LTE..

4Mb line is plenty to watch netflix and skype etc. I run a lot of webex video conferences while the kids look at netflix, and no issues. And this is with wifi, laptop on wifi and the apple box on wifi also.

Uncapped I assume??

LTE isnt that bad https://secure.telkom.co.za/today/shop/ ... variation/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I pay R699 for Uncapped
StuckInTheMudd
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D-4D Xtracab 4x4

Post by StuckInTheMudd »

Instead of NetFlix or that rubbish DSTV, get Kodi.

It's an application that runs on your PC and/or smartphone that serves as a media center. All your downloaded movies/series/music are managed through there. But the biggest joy is the collection of streams you can play. I watched Archer last night :)

So you can connect your laptop running Kodi to your TV. And if you have HDMI, you can use it's CEC protocol to control Kodi using your TV's remote. each vendor has their own name for CEC though.

And if you want to go full out, get a Raspberry Pi and install OSMC. It's a Linux distro with Kodi pre-installed that is designed to run on low-end systems (such as a Raspberry Pi). And you can control it via CEC.
grobbepj

Post by grobbepj »

StuckInTheMudd wrote:Instead of NetFlix or that rubbish DSTV, get Kodi.

It's an application that runs on your PC and/or smartphone that serves as a media center. All your downloaded movies/series/music are managed through there. But the biggest joy is the collection of streams you can play. I watched Archer last night :)

So you can connect your laptop running Kodi to your TV. And if you have HDMI, you can use it's CEC protocol to control Kodi using your TV's remote. each vendor has their own name for CEC though.

And if you want to go full out, get a Raspberry Pi and install OSMC. It's a Linux distro with Kodi pre-installed that is designed to run on low-end systems (such as a Raspberry Pi). And you can control it via CEC.
Wow this sounds high tech... Will need to do a lot more reading to understand this post. But thanks. Ive seen the Kodi name on some apple tvs so will investigate. Tx.

I need some seriuos education in these matters.
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mikie »

Youre still going to need a connection out to the internet to be able to download the movies as per the post above
ronnie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: Totota Fortuner 2006 4.0 V6 4x4; Long Range fuel tank; AmadaXtreme suspension; C-Tek D250S dual battery system
Club VHF Licence: HC 141

Post by ronnie »

grobbepj wrote:Hi all,

Basically what we want is the following:
Need to connect at least 6 devices
Uses for tablets software updates etc (read kids youtube)
Showmax and netflix (thinking of cancelling dstv). So i started looking at this mine field and was told telkom uncapped lte is he best... But we dont fall in the coverage areas.

Telkom the propsed a 100GB capped package for R999 a month including a wifi router (need permanent power supply). Is 100GB sufficient? We will only get 3G coverage (smaal chance for lte)

Then we came over another "independent" supplier in our area (with at least good reputation) that can give us the following:

Uncapped unshaped and no max usage limit package at followong speed and price:
2mb/s R499pm
6mb/s R899pm
8mb/s R1199pm
10mb/s R1499
This also requires a once off R2500 installation for a dish on the roof receiver and wifi router. And they garantee proper reception at promised rates. Totally fixed to home use.

Now a few questions:
Which should you prefer and why?
What Mb/s speed is fine for showmax etc (out needs)
How does 3g/ lte compare to these speeds.

Sorry for all the questions but its a lot of money either way and dont want a lemon or loads of frustration at the end. And Injust dont know enough to make a call. Any help/inputs will be appreciated.
A few things from my side since I have been off DSTV for three years now:

4 Mbps is good enough to stream Netflix but 10 Mbps is obviously better. Telkom is far from cheapest as an ISP and I went with Afrihost - 10 Mbps line and 200Gb per month for R758

Do not ever believe them when they use the words uncapped and unshaped in the same sentence, or even page. If you are on uncapped they will shape the hell out of your connection. Go with capped as you have unshaped and much better contention ratio. I have used a wireless service in the past and unless you can get a fibre connection, ADSL is still your best bet.

FYI - we get by with under 200Gb per month which is streaming Netflix and Amazon as well as my son gaming online
StuckInTheMudd
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by StuckInTheMudd »

grobbepj wrote:
Wow this sounds high tech... Will need to do a lot more reading to understand this post. But thanks. Ive seen the Kodi name on some apple tvs so will investigate. Tx.

now you know how i feel when you guys talk cars :mocking:

I personally think that fibre with Kodi (or perhaps NetFlix if you're not technically inclined) is better than spending money on DSTV. Plus then you have a super net connection for whatever else as well.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

StuckInTheMudd wrote:
grobbepj wrote:

I personally think that fibre with Kodi (or perhaps NetFlix if you're not technically inclined) is better than spending money on DSTV. Plus then you have a super net connection for whatever else as well.
how about a trade ...

I cable your bakkie ...

you cable my tv/internet setup ...

no smart ass comments from the peanut gallery ! :siffler:

jokes aside, nope, just watching this from a distance for now ....

ironically the thing that may well push us in this direction - the lack of suitable kids programs on dstv. And when there is something almost okay for a 5 year old the adds at age restricted ... :aggresive: :banned:
grobbepj

Post by grobbepj »

ChrisF wrote:
StuckInTheMudd wrote:
grobbepj wrote:

how about a trade ...

I cable your bakkie ...

ironically the thing that may well push us in this direction - the lack of suitable kids programs on dstv. And when there is something almost okay for a 5 year old the adds at age restricted ... :aggresive: :banned:

Must agree rewiring a car seems much simpler!!!

And yes our drive is also for the kids shows. Especially in out case to find some suitable (even if old school) afrikaans series to watch. They still enjoy Liewe Heksie and swart kat... And buying the dvds seem way more expensive and fragile with a 3 year old handling them. But now Pa needa to get his head around this bloody minefield.

Just a question can you set an age restriction on like netflix??...
StuckInTheMudd
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by StuckInTheMudd »

grobbepj wrote:can you set an age restriction on like netflix??...
I'm assuming you mean with Kodi? Yes, you can.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Pieter ek VERSTAAN wat jy sê.

Ons spandeer n klein fortuin dat sy speelgoed ordentlik en opvoedkundig is. Ons MAAK tyd om hom te help ontwikkel, ek sal 4:00 ingaan werk toe sodat ek laat middag by die huis kan wees en tyd spandeer met hom.

en die drek wat op dstv is het absoluut geen positiewe waarde vir hom nie.
etiennel22
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 2003 Hilux 3.0 KZ-TE D/C Raider 4x4

Re: RE: Wifi 4 home. Please help!!!

Post by etiennel22 »

grobbepj wrote:
ChrisF wrote:
StuckInTheMudd wrote:
grobbepj wrote:

how about a trade ...

I cable your bakkie ...

And yes our drive is also for the kids shows. Especially in out case to find some suitable (even if old school) afrikaans series to watch. They still enjoy Liewe Heksie and swart kat... And buying the dvds seem way more expensive and fragile with a 3 year old handling them. But now Pa needa to get his head around this bloody minefield.

Yes, you can set an age limit with a pin. My wife and I watch netflix in our room and our daughter watches her kids shows on the xbox in the TV room. I'm Also running 4mbps ADSL and it works fantastic.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
:thumbup: :yahoo: :celebrate: :dance1: :cooldude:
dalkill

Post by dalkill »

I tried the kodi thing as well.
I mainly had dstv for the kids. I realy don't care much for sports . Rather take my fishing rod and go sit by the beach.

BUt kodi did not have good variety for the kids. YOu could get the nickelodeon channel if you really looked but then it was very choppy and unstable.
Even looked into getting Raspberry Pie and setting it up as media center with Kodi running on it, but on PC was just too much PR to really go any further. Maybe it was my 2mb line, but i tested with no family on devices and it was still very unstable.

It's a bit more setup required than Netflix - I have never tried netflix, but assume it will be much more plug and play.

TOYOTA IS MY LEWE
grobbepj

Post by grobbepj »

ChrisF wrote:Pieter ek VERSTAAN wat jy sê.

Ons spandeer n klein fortuin dat sy speelgoed ordentlik en opvoedkundig is. Ons MAAK tyd om hom te help ontwikkel, ek sal 4:00 ingaan werk toe sodat ek laat middag by die huis kan wees en tyd spandeer met hom.

en die drek wat op dstv is het absoluut geen positiewe waarde vir hom nie.
Bly om te hoor ons sukkel nie alleen nie!! En helemal van die punt af maar ek stem helemal saam. Ek kan enigtyd gevra word om vroeer te gaan werk maar sit krap my kwaai om as mense verwag ek moet later bly en my paar uur n dag voor slaaptyd met hul korter te maak!! En in my opinie cater dstv glad nie v kinders wat nog kinders wil/moet wees nie... (Nie te praat van iets opvoedkundigs). Okay rant off...
grobbepj

Post by grobbepj »

etiennel22 wrote:
grobbepj wrote:
ChrisF wrote:
StuckInTheMudd wrote:
grobbepj wrote:

how about a trade ...

I cable your bakkie ...

Yes, you can set an age limit with a pin. My wife and I watch netflix in our room and our daughter watches her kids shows on the xbox in the TV room. I'm Also running 4mbps ADSL and it works fantastic.

Thanks! Great to know
louis fourie
Vehicle: 2003 Hilux Raider Facelift D/C 3.0 KZTE
Club VHF Licence: X101

Post by louis fourie »

My need is a little different and I will try to explain.

The closets Spar is 30km from me :o: . The closest that I have to any data is a Vodacom tower that is 6km away. I can see it from my house. I don't want to do more business with them, because......

What are my options for a uncapped/unshaped data connection?
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mikie »

Limited..... Unless Telkom shares that tower
dalkill

Post by dalkill »

Louis, if you have to use vodacom againstr you will, and you have line of sight to that tower, you can built some sort of home made signal booster. There many examples on the web involving coffee / pringles cans to rice strainers and satellite dishes.
Some guys got signal to travel over 11 km. but that has to be line of sight.

TOYOTA IS MY LEWE
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Have wondered why DSTV have so many adds showing a "two year price freeze" ?

HERE is the answer - http://www.fin24.com/Tech/Companies/nas ... s-20160626" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Naspers CEO looks at internet business as PayTV declines
2016-06-26 10:50 - Loni Prinsloo

Johannesburg - Naspers [JSE:NPN] is seeking to further boost its international internet business as it grapples with falling PayTV subscription numbers in sub Saharan Africa.

The company, which usually spends half a billion dollars a year on acquisitions, is “on the lookout” for more deals, Chief Executive Officer Bob Van Dijk said in a phone interview on Saturday, without giving further information on potential targets.

Naspers, Africa’s biggest company by market value, said on Friday that adjusted net income - its main measure of profit - rose 21% to $1.2bn in the 12 months through March. The company has transformed itself from a South African newspaper publisher into a continent-wide multi-media provider and backer of emerging-market internet businesses. It now counts on internet businesses for about 70% of revenue.

Naspers has benefited from an early investment in Tencent Holdings, in which it owns a 34% stake. It also owns Africa’s biggest pay-TV network, DStv. The pay-TV business has been struggling, with subscription numbers falling by 288 000 in 2016.

“We have also lost a lot of subscribers in the last year in sub Saharan Africa, people have just not been able to afford it,” Van Dijk said. “We bill in local currencies, but our costs are in dollars. It is quite painful when the currencies are running in the wrong direction.”

The company has frozen prices and says it expects a difficult few years in sub Saharan Africa.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

And the rocket scientists running ICASA wants to find out why no other pay tv supplier is growing in SA .....

How much would they pay me to explain the concept of DSTV bought up all the sport .....

http://www.fin24.com/Tech/News/icasa-to ... t-20160624" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Icasa to probe SA pay-TV market
2016-06-24 16:43 - Gareth van Zyl, Fin24

Johannesburg - The Independent Communications Authority of South Africa (Icasa) is launching a competition inquiry into the country’s television subscription market.

The regulator made the announcement on Friday and said it has established a committee to look into South Africa’s pay television market.

Katharina Pillay will chair the committee while she will be assisted by deputy chairpersons Nomvuyiso Batyi and Botlenyana Mokhele.

South Africa currently has two main pay-TV providers: MultiChoice and Chinese backed StarSat (formerly known as TopTV).

China’s StarTimes snapped up TopTV in 2015. This came after TopTV entered business rescue to avoid bankruptcy.

“This inquiry is intended to address concerns raised by industry stakeholders as well as for the authority to determine why despite multiple attempts to introduce competition in the subscription broadcasting market, only two licensees have been able to launch services and the two entrants have been plagued with sustainability challenges and the others yet not begun operations,” said Icasa in a media statement.

“It is important for the authority to understand the challenges faced by new market entrants so that it can address the regulatory impediments where required, and create an enabling environment for the introduction of competition,” said Icasa.

Icasa further said in its statement the the impending switch to digital terrestrial television will “create new opportunities for market entry”.

But Icasa said these “opportunities can only be exploited in a market that enables competition”.

South Africa has faced several delays with its digital migration project as it missed a key International Telecommunications Union (ITU) deadline in June last year.

Court battles have also ensued over whether set-top boxes - the devices used to decode digital signals for analogue televisions - should be encrypted or not.

Nevertheless, government has started to distribute subsidised set-top boxes for up to 5 million poorer households.

Meanwhile, Icasa said its probe into the competitiveness of the pay TV sector in South Africa is expected to begin next week and be completed within the financial year.
grobbepj

Post by grobbepj »

Guess it was a matter of time (and very due) before streaming had a real impact on dstv subscribers. Showmax etc will force a relook on dstv side...

If it wasnt for the sport we would have shur down a long time ago.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

In my case I only watch F1 and MotoGP - both I can stream ....

Movies and series ... easy enough to get.

But mommie is "tegnologies gestremd" (okay me too). May opt for the base DSTv option shortly, basic movie channels for mommy, and a serious internet for streaming .... for now the maths dont add up just yet.

but I am watching this story very closely ....
WayneSchalk
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Krugersdorp
Vehicle: 2019 Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD-6 4X4 DC Auto
Club VHF Licence: X117

Post by WayneSchalk »

Something to ask your ISP about is the contention ratio, I know Telkom does not even advertise their contention ratio. The lower number the better service and vice versa, but the price you pay comes with it.

As an example, most companies that supplies fibre now will contend the service anywhere from 10:1 right down to 1:1. 1:1 being great, but expensive.

Then you have to ask about international versus local bandwidth. If you want to run Netflix or Showmax you need decent international bandwidth.

With all that in mind, on a contended service that is shaped, even though your contract states 100mb you will probably only be able to utilize 20% of that bandwidth.

Keep en mind all ISP's in SA has to purchase international bandwidth themselves charged in US $ :shock2: so the way to keep their profit margin high is to contend their service.

I have a Neotel 4mb LTE, uncapped, unshaped (True story). It does however have a fair usage policy. I can use 400GB in a month, once I hit that my bandwidth is reduced to 2mb until the new month. It is contended 25:1 but I think the high site I connect to is under utilized, for now. Also the LTE is not symmetrical, so my upload speed is 50% that of the download speed.

That works well for me, I stream TV and do whatever else I need to no problem.

I like Neotel as they have access to 5 submarine cables. SAT-3 and WACS going up the Atlantic Ocean, and EASSy, SEACOM and Safe going up the Indian Ocean.

So when you hear on the news "the SEACOM cable is down" most ISP's will be effected but not Neotel.

I have not read each and every post so forgive me if what I said was already shared.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Thanks Wayne, some valuable and new info in your post.
grobbepj

Post by grobbepj »

ChrisF wrote:Thanks Wayne, some valuable and new info in your post.
+1.

Thanks
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

taking a big chance - anybody know what the internet options are in Melkbos ? Friend just retired and no longer have his work internet available ... Streaming not the main decider for now, but he is interested. Which leads me to the next big question - who in that area can assist with setting up a streaming setup ....
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

To revive this thread -

Who is using MWeb as their service provider ?

I am being told they "take over" your Telkom line and you only pay MWeb for the line rental and internet. You only pay Telkom for your calls.

Can this be correct ??????????

MWeb does all the arrangements to change me from a standard line to an ADSL line, WiFi etc.

And all this for 25% less than the same package at Telkom ..... kan dit reg wees ?
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Being doing just that with Afrihost for quite a few years now - no pain, no sweat!

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Family_Dog wrote:Being doing just that with Afrihost for quite a few years now - no pain, no sweat!

-F_D
so do I then only pay Telkom for the calls ?

line rental and internet paid to MWeb ?

Speaking to the "client advisors" at Telkom they reckon I still need to pay them for the line rental as well ... though they did not even understand my question the first couple of times .... :naah:
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Aaaaaa .... should have gone straight to the fine print :

From Mweb's website :
ADSL Terms & Conditions
T’s & C’s apply: Pricing includes VAT. Data only pricing excludes all line rentals. Data + ADSL Line pricing includes ADSL line rental but excludes landline rental. Line speeds quoted are best effort and represent "up to" speeds. MWEB reserves the right to enforce its Acceptable Use Policy. Free Uncapped WiFi for qualifying ADSL products when you purchase and activate a Fon enabled router. Default billing plan is set to Booster based billing, once you've reached your data cap your internet will be paused and you will need to purchase a data booster to continue using the internet. If you have selected out of bundle based billing, you will be charged 5c per MB once you reach your cap and continue using the internet.

Thus still more expensive than Telkom : https://secure.telkom.co.za/today/shop/ ... ic-v-plan/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

IF I understand this correct this package gives me the same 20+20Gb than the MWeb package I was looking at.
Both include the ADSL line.
Telkom includes the "land line" in this package. Because of this the internet plus landline costs R400 at Telkom, where it would be R300 at Mweb for the internet + R190 at Telkom for the landline.

PLEASE HELP :beg:

Been doing the 3G internet thing for the last decade, so this ADSL vs landline thing is clear as mud to me at the moment .... dont even know what else I am not seeing at the moment ....

Maybe explain my needs - For the last decade I used 3G as it meant I had my email access with me when we travelled (the curse of a sideline business). With the modern phones, and our current travel regime, I no longer need 3G, and can consider landline.

I have also contacted DSTV to stop my subscription at the end of this month. So I may well want to stream some stuff, though I do have alternate access and wont have to stream too much.

So my current 1 to 2 Gb per month may go up to 5 or 10Gb per month .... or in due course may increase substantially. Also not sure of what speed I actually need. For the emails obviously a 2Meg line should do, seems the fun starts when you want watch something while downloading (believe this is called streaming). I would obviously experiment with the new technology, so cant say with any certainty what I would want to do in 6 months time .... pretty sure I would rather go for a cheaper option now with the option to upgrade if needed, as apposed to signing into an expensive deal now and not using it ....

o-well .... :crazy: :crazy:
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Chris, I swapped 'ownership' of my ADSL line to Afrihost and all I pay Telkom for are the calls. Afrihost line rental & ADSL package work out cheaper since doing this. And if I have any ADSL problems, just one call or email to Afrihost is required, they apparently have more swing with Telkom than I do ;)

-F_D

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Thanks Eric

Will follow up with a friend who also gave ownership of his line to MWeb. His reasoning and experience is also that it is just so much easier dealing with MWeb than Telkom ....

just that "landline rental excluded" in the MWeb website has me confused now ....
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Got confirmation from MWeb - their costs could include ADSL line rental (if you choose a package that includes this), but either way their packages dont include ordinary landline (phone) rental.
Scooter
Town: JHB
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

Post by Scooter »

I did the same thing when I looked for a service provider. I use Axxess and they have control of the ADSL line and have no issues. They are pretty good at sorting out any issues you may have pretty quickly. Axxess have a 24hr service line if the trouble hits when insomnia does.

They also recently doubled my data gratis, free, for niks. I used to have 30gb and now have 60gb.

My only issue is still with telkom as in my area we can currently only have 4mb line speed which is usually more like 2mb. It makes streaming and downloading rather painful.

I don't have experience with other SPs but axxess is also month to month and upgrading or downgrading your service is very easy.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Axxess are also very good, part of Afrihost. Afrihost also do the cap-doubling thingie at no additional charge.

-F_D

Houkswyn
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Parow
Vehicle: Fortuner 4.0 V6 4X4

Post by Houkswyn »

Chris, none of the ISPs other than Telkom will include landline rental with DSL.

If you are going to stick with 1 ISP, then include the DSL line rental in the package. It is just easier to resolve issues this way.

If you are going to want to be able to jump around between all the ISPs then leave DSL line rental with Telkom.

I'm with afrihost too, and I'd say they are a better bet than mweb...
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Dankie Etienne

Thus far it seems Telkom still has the bests costs for the smaller packages - primarily because they throw in the landline rental. Which means this will only be slightly more expensive than my current landline and 3G costs.

On larger usage the others appears to have better offerings. I cant justify this, not at this stage .. (gee tyd, sal gou n paar verskonings uitdink)

Just dont get caught like a friend - went the Telkom route, using this for his business email ... now he is locked in. Granted this is very different to the normal house usage. But may still become an issue for many users at some stage.
Henk_B
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Henk_B »

I prefer an independent ISP like Mweb. Month to month contract, and my ADSL line rental included. Never had downtime, but if there were, they sorted it out with Hellkom asap. The less I have to deal with Hellkom, the better.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Henk_B wrote:I prefer an independent ISP like Mweb. Month to month contract, and my ADSL line rental included. Never had downtime, but if there were, they sorted it out with Hellkom asap. The less I have to deal with Hellkom, the better.
KNOW what you mean ! Actually a matter very close to my heart. Worked for them for 9 years, on the support services side - which was first to be moved "aside". Each year I hear of former collegues coming into the line and being retrenched ... while da-big-boss just wrote himself a R12M salary check.

And with Afrihost there are some VERY nice options !!
etiennel22
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by etiennel22 »

I'm a reseller of adsl products and services. And can assist if anyone has any questions. Maybe we can do a special deal for Hilux4x4 members ;-)

grobbepj

Post by grobbepj »

I finally bit the bullet and signed a deal with a local wireless wifi supplier. Decided on a 8Mb/s uncapped unshaped package for R599... They are installing on monday. Installation cost is pricey (R2800 once off but then you own the router and equipment). Was so far the best deal i vould find over a 24month period.

Am waiting in anticipation to see if it work and suite our needs...
grobbepj

Post by grobbepj »

Now I nees to figure out how to get the streaming thing going and to get it on the telly... The next minefield it seems.
etiennel22
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Re: RE: Re: Wifi 4 home. Please help!!!

Post by etiennel22 »

grobbepj wrote:Now I nees to figure out how to get the streaming thing going and to get it on the telly... The next minefield it seems. Image
If you have a Smart TV, old laptop or Xbox. Else you can go buy a streaming device like a Roku or Chromecast.

ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

grobbepj wrote:I finally bit the bullet and signed a deal with a local wireless wifi supplier. Decided on a 8Mb/s uncapped unshaped package for R599... They are installing on monday. Installation cost is pricey (R2800 once off but then you own the router and equipment). Was so far the best deal i vould find over a 24month period.

klink na n baie goeie deal.

wie is die ISP ?
grobbepj

Post by grobbepj »

ChrisF wrote:
grobbepj wrote:I finally bit the bullet and signed a deal with a local wireless wifi supplier. Decided on a 8Mb/s uncapped unshaped package for R599... They are installing on monday. Installation cost is pricey (R2800 once off but then you own the router and equipment). Was so far the best deal i vould find over a 24month period.

klink na n baie goeie deal.

wie is die ISP ?
Hi Chris. Dis n local ou hier in alberton. Blykbaar doen hul vaal driehoek en sover soos joburg. Skyfi.

Baie vriendelike en goeie diens... Sover...
grobbepj

Post by grobbepj »

etiennel22 wrote:
grobbepj wrote:Now I nees to figure out how to get the streaming thing going and to get it on the telly... The next minefield it seems. Image
If you have a Smart TV, old laptop or Xbox. Else you can go buy a streaming device like a Roku or Chromecast.

Thanks. I actually got all three. So will hook them up tomorrow and see what happens...

Never thought of the xbox. Can actually use that for the kids in the playroom to stream their movies... Mmmm... Thanks again
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 99 IFS DC 4x4

Post by niclemaitre »

grobbepj wrote:then you own the router and equipment
The bundled routers are usually beyond terrible, slow and poor range. You're far better off investing in one yourself.
Happy trails
Nic

SFA '97 DC - affirmatively shopped
SFA '87 DC "Rooies" - sold
IFS '99 DC "Benny"
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Did some cost comparisons over the weekend.

Seems Afrihost and Axxess are the best for the larger and faster packages - which you seem to need if you want to go the streaming route.

Telkom has an excellent package for the person that is happy with 10GB day + 10GB night at 2mb/s, including both the ADSL and normal line rental for R399.

That is only marginally more than a typical 3G package + normal land line rental.

BUT, I doubt that line would do the job if you want to stream, for instance MotoGP ... And locked into a 24 month contract.

Maybe it is time to just go big and get done with it, uncapped 4mb/s line - then split the data with a neighbour .... any thoughts on this ??
Henk_B
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Henk_B »

ChrisF, that sounds like a plan.

2MB is slow, get 4MB, and look into it that you do not get throttled at 100Gb, otherwise your speed goes down to 512kb/s

My throttle only starts at 400Gb.

I like your idea to split costs with the neighbour.

I got the supersport app on my iphone, and my parent's login details. Weekends when I want to watch some sport, I stream from supersport app (via wifi) to my applebox to my TV. no issue, speed is good.

Return to “Open Discussion”