Some opinions about trailers please from my smart Hilux friends

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Strand WC
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4, 2.41t Raider 1998 DC - front & rear difflock, 140lt fuel tank, 31" BFG a/t, snorkel, drawer system, alucab canopy, driver with attitude.
Club VHF Licence: X112

Some opinions about trailers please from my smart Hilux friends

Post by GI Jane »

Okay so I sold my Bushwakka trailer, because had it seriously (over)rigged and eventually found it too heavy to pull, expensive to pull petrol wise, and a bit of overkill for our needs, and a friend had better need for it. Thought I would do okay without a trailer, but with a recent trip to Kruger found the bakkie so loaded... like everything neat and tidy, and for me it was mayhem. So I'm back to looking at trailers. Not looking for extreme offroad like my previous one, not planning on getting a rooftop tent again. Basically one wired to run off 220v, and battery, and solar, for those non electrified areas, to carry a Engel 80L fridge freezer, battery box, a couple of ammo boxes, gas cooker and bottles, and a roof rack with a bit of packing space. Must be offroad... been looking at Jurgens XT120. Think the XT140 is too big, its about the size of my previous trailer...
I would appreciate some opinions about suitable trailers, and any experience with XT120

Thanks, in anticipation...
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4, 2.41t Raider 1998 DC - front & rear difflock, 140lt fuel tank, 31" BFG a/t, snorkel, drawer system, alucab canopy, driver with attitude.

Re: Some opinions about trailers please from my smart Hilux friends

Post by GI Jane »

My tow vehicle for the moment is still my 2.4 Hilux SFA, but am planning on trading in my platkar for a Fortuner, or Hilux 3.0 diesel in the next year or so... Probably better for towing, but still don't want to go overkill on the trailer again....
Hilux 1
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2011 Raider 4x4 Double cab 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC137

Post by Hilux 1 »

why not aluminium??
http://www.gumtree.co.za/a-caravans-tra ... 0170274309" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hilux 1
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hilux 1 »

or the alu-star

http://www.alustar.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Jane I have been considering trailer options ....

Bantam has a nice range of small trailers. But by the time you want access to the fridge you are back to a large trailer .... if you keep your fridge in the bakkie/fortuner then you can go for a much smaller trailer. My main gripe with the commercially available small trailers is the lack of access into the trailer, especially if you put in a TTT, or a roofrack for braai wood. The small trailers dont seem to have the same side doors of a large 4x4 trailer. :naah:

Few weeks back I towed my EMPTY glass fibre Dolfin trailer - WOW, you see the fuel gauge dropping !! :o: Could not notice any difference between the empty trip, or the fully loaded trip back (okay it was a reasonably short trip).

I am convinced the bulk of fuel consumption is due to the wind-drag of the shape of the trailer. All the more reason to go for a small trailer with a proper nose cone.

Looking at what I want, and what I can buy .... I would either buy a very old trailer just for a chassis number and start building from scratch. Or rather (and more legal) I would buy a quad trailer, then build a removable box with slides and side entry and and and ... Keep it the height of a large ammo box, thus VERY low and minimal drag. Next step would be a clamshell tent to fit ontop of this box .... Still with the battery and fridge in the vehicle, to keep the trailer height as low as possible. Sounds like a nice project for your boet ... hint hint ... :siffler: :siffler:
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

Chris I already have a 40l Engel, 2nd battery and solar panel fitted on my vehicle, (my boet fitted that) and that's great if I go away alone or with others for a short period, but have found that on a long trip in the bush need an additional fridge/freezer for meat and veggies. A battle to keep meat and veggies, when its shared with drinks in hot temp. Phoned alucab, very expensive.. Had a look on gumtree for second hand trailers, most of them have RTT and back to the overkill I had before..
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

I'm with Chris on this one, access and also the temptation to kit it out to have everything tidy...and you're back to a big 4x4 trailer.

XT120 is a good option for what you need I think, not much smaller than the XT140 though. You could go for the earlier ones as well, like the XT75. There is also the Campmaster range but I have my doubts about durability, and again, access.

Personally I would get an old trailer (750Kg's) for the papers and basically build a drawer system on wheels, big bottom drawer that pulls out to the rear and another layer of smaller drawers on top of that pulling out to the sides,

OR if you could get hold of this:

http://dinoot.com/models/m-series.html
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

Hi Val, I ended up with the same scenario when I replaced my Hilux with the Prado. I needed more space to load the camping gear and also was shopping around for a trailer. Nearly bought the XT120 but then decided it was to heavy empty and kept looking around. Did not need 700kg load capacity as I was only loading 500kg in total between the Prado and trailer.
Trailer03.jpg
Trailer02.jpg

Ended up buying the Alustar trailer and modified it to suit my requirements. Still with all the mods done and the spare wheel inside I can lift it onto a axle stand. Keep it simple, light and small.
Last edited by JohanM on Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johan Marais
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Stef »

on a side note: I tow a Conqueror courage with the 2.4 and got 7km/l on a round trip of 560km which included a mountain pass as well as some rough dirt roads in 2nd/3rd gear
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Val if all else fails .... get a small trailer, and Allan can build you a custom nosecone to fit the Engel. Thus allowing you to still keep the trailer small and low.

Please keep us posted.

For now we are doing the B&B thing .... but you know me ... always looking for the next project. The body of my Dolfin trailer can be transfered to a flatbed ... who knows - one chassis for two applications ....
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

Val I have a 2.3 m stainless steel City wolf campa trailor with 1.8 ton axle, shocks roof rack and brakes.The whole trailor is made out of stainless accept the axle.The trailor empty weight 374 kg

If you order one from desert wolf with 15 inc tyres a door or two on each side will do the thing for you.
Attachments
DSC03455 (Small).JPG
DSC03454 (Custom).JPG
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

Wow.. that's light and looks neat and compact. Have you used it offroad... Need something that can handle some tough roads and has good ground clearance. It needs to go where my bakkie goes...
Last edited by GI Jane on Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

Just looked at the Desert Wolf website and I remember looking at their trailers when I bought the Bushwakka many years ago.
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

GI Jane wrote:Wow.. that's light and looks neat and compact. Have you used it offroad... Need something that can handle some tough roads and has good ground clearance. It needs to go where my bakkie goes...

Val not sure if you refer to my trailer.I use mine as a luggage trailor but forsure it will handle any off road conditions.It use the same chassis like the other Desert Wolf off road trailors. With 15 " tyres on it you will have more than enough grond clearance
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
Bliksempie
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Pretoria Montana
Vehicle: 2.4 SFA
Club VHF Licence: HC115

Post by Bliksempie »

Val,

I've got the XT120, and I am more than happy at this stage. Mine is fully kitted with Deluxe RTT, drawer systems etc. I also tow with my 2.4, and runs quite well. All round clearance and ample storage are quite impressive. Just bear in mind, that if in future you decide to go with a RTT, the extra weight won't be an issue.
When Life knocks you down, make sure you fall on your back. If you can look up, you can get up

GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

I don't plan on getting a RTT. Have had one for many years, but am over the ladder and cramped condition for dressing etc. Definitely want to stick to my dome tent. Also heavy weight on top of the trailer for towing. The x120 is sort of the setup I like, fridge slider in the front hatch and 2 rows of ammo box sliders in the rear, and roof rack on the top. Place for gas bottles. Problem is it does not come already geared the possibility for wiring like the xt140, battery boxes etc. that's all additional and has to be cut into the trailer. Also not too sure of its durability over rough roads. ie. axle, and shocks...
That's why I need the advice of those on the forum with experience of the different trailers. Have emailed desert wolf to find out the cost of the smaller fox 4x4 trailer, basic with wiring fitted and will see if that will work. Think they are flippin expensive though, so it may break the bank..
Have looked at used options, but most of them are being sold with all the paraphanalia that I had before and don't want again.
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

Stef my bakkies consumption is 7km per litre without a tow vehicle, pulling my previous trailer, I think it almost doubled the petrol consumption. I was too afraid to work it out, just closed my eyes and paid for the petrol. Also maneuvering it around to hitch and park was an issue with the weight.. So something lighter, but strong enough to handle offroad conditions...
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

We're off to Nam and Bots the middle of Sept, and need to get trailer sorted before then. My son will be towing this trip with his 3.0l fortuner, but down the line my Hilux will need to tow it..
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

wow... that was fast service, already received a reply from desert wolf, 10 min.... eish.. they aint cheap... but will check out the list and see... yes, it will definitely break the bank.... not an option unfortunately..
Hilux 1
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hilux 1 »

YES, they k.a.k expensive(but then again you pay for quality and STAINLESS steel)
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

Yes Tertius, but its a trailer, not a permanent house. To be used a couple of times a year and when my husband retires about 3 months of the year... so for now the xt120 is ahead in the stakes, but with some reservations... xt140 was apparently used on a trip up van zyl's pass, but don't know the after effects on the trailer after the trip... I know Jurgens did a thing with the explorer in Richtersveld, years ago, and that didn't go too well, if I remember correctly... think they did some serious mods to that afterwards... xt140 is too big... I have found the bigger the load box the more rubbish you pack because you can...(or maybe because I can)
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Val have you looke dat the Metallion Mini ? The name "mini" was replaced with anther name recently ...

German quality down to the last painstaking detail.
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

Thanks Chris will look at that... have also spoken to my boet and he knows a guy, who knows a guy, who knows a guy... know what I mean and we will come up with something... this I know...
Yes just checked the website, have seen them advertised will phone and find out what they do... they look robust.. thanks Chris.
Fanusl
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Vehicle: Hilux Revo DC Auto 4x4

Post by Fanusl »

Val you can also look at jaguartrailers. I got one and not that pricy. A bit industrial look but I can live with it. He add as you order.
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

Thanks Fanus. Checked out the website. They look good, don't mind the industrial look, they need to do an industrial job. Phoned him and think Allan and I will go and look at his trailers the end of the week. Still waiting for Metallian to get back to me after 2 phone calls... They either too busy and don't need the work, or they just don't need the work..
Dowe Koos
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Vehicle: Toyota Buschwagen 2.7 4x4

Post by Dowe Koos »

Hallo Jane en ander ouens wat hier lees. Ek wil nie klink na 'n pretbederwer nie maar vir 'n feit, stainless steel hou nie van vibrasies nie en hulle neig om te skeur langs die sweis lyn. Ek het al 'n paar van hulle gesien, letterik- nie gehoor van 'n vriend van 'n vriend ens nie. Ek is maar vol nonsens as dit kom by wat hulle gebruik om sleepwaens te bou, Die hoofraam moet verkieslik 'n dubbel U-vorm wat inmekaar gaan en aanmekaar gesweis is. Groete tot dan.
Ecc 1:9 Wat gewees het, dit sal daar weer wees; en wat gebeur het, dit sal weer gebeur, en daar is glad niks nuuts onder die son nie.
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

HI Val,

The XT 120 trailer features a 1800kg axle that is built and designed for use on rough roads. The Xplorer that failed the Richtersveld trip was a serious design flaw from Jurgens themselves that used a underrated axle for the xplorer and thus it failed.

The new xplorers are all running a 2000kg axle and very few have suffered from a bent stub axle or any issues with the axle.

The main killer of the axles is being overloaded which restrict travel and overheating of bearings which leads to failures.

If you like the XT120, buy it. Some of the things you might not be aware of, is that the axle track width on the XT 120 is very close to that of the Fortuner/Prado thus it will track very tight in sand and difficult conditions. You should be able to fit the same size tyre/rim as that of your Hilux/Fortuner without any mods as the wheel arches are nice and big.

The rear mounted spare is a bonus for keeping the nose weigh well balanced. It has space underneath behind the axle to fit a watertank which I think you should consider doing when fitting a big heavy Engel in the front to keep the nose weight at no more than 100kg when loaded.

You can also pay a visit to Bantam trailers. They build a sportster off road trailer as they call it, but can customize it to your needs and they start at 22K for one and with your requirements met i'm expecting it to be close on 33K which is a lot of value for money if you look at the designs and attention to detail.

This was my option before I stumbled upon the Alustar which is now my off roader.
Johan Marais
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Val check your inbox for a PM :thumbup:
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

Thanks Chris...
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

Thanks Johan, yes I know Jurgens sorted out the problems they had with the explorer in Richtersveld, and that's why their offroad caravans do so well... and its great from that experience that they have a great idea with their offroad trailers... experience a good learning curve. And overloading is easy when you have to much box packing space... don't want to go that route... Keeping it simple this time around.. also learnt some good lessons..
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

Dowe Koos wrote:Hallo Jane en ander ouens wat hier lees. Ek wil nie klink na 'n pretbederwer nie maar vir 'n feit, stainless steel hou nie van vibrasies nie en hulle neig om te skeur langs die sweis lyn. Ek het al 'n paar van hulle gesien, letterik- nie gehoor van 'n vriend van 'n vriend ens nie. Ek is maar vol nonsens as dit kom by wat hulle gebruik om sleepwaens te bou, Die hoofraam moet verkieslik 'n dubbel U-vorm wat inmekaar gaan en aanmekaar gesweis is. Groete tot dan.
Dankie Hennie, ek hoor wat jy se, en dit maak sin vir my.. sal jou opinie in ag neem... dankie..
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Stef »

GI Jane wrote:Stef my bakkies consumption is 7km per litre without a tow vehicle, pulling my previous trailer, I think it almost doubled the petrol consumption. I was too afraid to work it out, just closed my eyes and paid for the petrol. Also maneuvering it around to hitch and park was an issue with the weight.. So something lighter, but strong enough to handle offroad conditions...

OK I'm officially going to stop moaning about my bakkie's fuel consumption :shh: :D:

Ja the Courage & XT140 is not what you need and for a trip in Sept building one is also out of the question. Even the XT140 comes without wiring, friends of mine recently purchased one, so did the Courage, it was another R6k extra and in hindsight my advice would be to do your own thing.

I would suggest buying a batt, Benton charger, Ctek D250S and a solar panel and wire that all in to suit your needs ito outlets, lights etc
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

I agree Stef. I already have a 180w solar panel and 10A controller and wiring for the solar panel to battery from my trailer. Its irritating though that the xt120 doesn't already come out like the 140 prepped for wiring... Problem with cutting into the body is keeping it rust free etc. anyway, my son has a onroad trailer that we can use if I don't get the right offroad trailer before we leave. Its just going to take a beating on the trip.....
My bakkie is heavy on fuel because of all the extra stuff I've got fitted on and in it... heavy weight, heavy fuel..
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Stef »

Don't let the rust rust issue deter you, do your cuts (assuming you're talking about the 220V inlet), and cut slightly bigger than you need so the bare metal could be treated with a anti rust primer without scraping it off when you install the fitting etc. You could also seal around the cut with Sikaflex or Soudaflex...just stay away from any kind of sealer that smells like vinegar, in other words acid based like your ordinary silicone/bathroom sealant, it will promote rust.

I actually prefer it un-prepped, it's a blank canvas.
Shimano
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Strand Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 V6 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC125

Post by Shimano »

Hi Val,
I saw this this one on Gumtree - have a look
http://www.gumtree.co.za/a-camping-gear ... 0348947209" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Attachments
$_22.jpg
$_21.jpg
Toyota Hilux 4.0 V6 4x4
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

Thanks Wynand, I did see that advert, its a dealer, and tried to find a website for their products. They called Kammatech, and found nothing... they may be a start up operation, and also got no reply on my phonecall... Anyway Allan and I have an appointment with a guy that builds trailers this afternoon, and will see where we go from there. It may be a watch this space for progress on my new build...
There is an xt120 second hand that a guy in somerset west is selling second hand, but price is high for a 2010, even with all the extras it already has. Still a bit nervous about potential rust that I've heard are problems on the Jurgens and that rubber torsion axle (thingie) Heard of people having problems with that. Also the starting weight is a bit higher than the aluminium trailers...
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

Thanks to all of you for the input I have received about a trailer. Have decided to go with a new build.
Jaguar 4x4 trailer. If you look on his website Jaguar4x4trailers, I have ordered the Jag 3. Jacques is an amazing person, and his trailers look great. Will post some photo's when I pick mine up.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

CONGRATS Val.

It really looks GOOD !!! And for your boet to sign off on it, it must be decent quality.

http://www.jaguartrailers.co.za/jag3.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

Yip it looks good, and Jacques is such a nice guy. Is a camper himself and has lots of experience building trailers and off road caravans. His work looks good, very professional, and also service and response time to queries is excellent...
Fanusl
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Fanusl »

Val jy sal daardie sleepwa geniet. Ek geniet myne baie en het al 'n hele paar duisend km met myne gesleep. Swaar gelaai en baie slegte paaie en ook 'n paar lekker 4x4 paaie en ook dik sand. Nie die luukste nie maar prakties en bekostigbaar.
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

Dankie Fanus, ek is seker dit sal goed werk.... Kan nie wag tot hy klaar is en ons kan hom in Nam en Bots toets...
andrevt
Town: sasolburg
Vehicle: raider d4d

Post by andrevt »

_MG_3855 (Small).JPG
just a pic of our trailers this was at flamingo lodge in angola
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

Nee man Andre, those aren't trailers.... those are serious offroad caravans.... but looks good... Is that a hilux keeping up with the cruiser?
andrevt
Town: sasolburg
Vehicle: raider d4d

Post by andrevt »

eish Val how can you think like that
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

So Jacques said he will send photo's of the build as and when he can.. so got this one as a starter....
IMG-20160804-WA000.jpg
Phew... adding photo format changed... hope this is a photo,,
Yay it worked...
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Malmesbury ?
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

okay so things are moving along with my trailer. Just a few weeks to go before the we on the road again... So excited. Two years since I was last in Etosha Pans and the Okavango panhandle.. trailer update
IMG-20160820-WA001.jpg
IMG-20160820-WA000.jpg
Hilux 1
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hilux 1 »

thought you wnated to go smaller??
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

mmm... I know, but I think lighter was more what I had in mind. The trailer is a lot lighter than my other one, and I ma not going to fit anything extra on it. The nice thing about it is that if I'm in unfenced Bots parks, I can throw my Malamoo on the top of the trailer and sleep up there if there are big cats or hyena etc around...
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

Yay... some more updates from Jacques... Thanks Jacques you're a superstar..
IMG-20160824-WA002.jpg
IMG-20160824-WA003.jpg
IMG-20160824-WA001.jpg
IMG-20160820-WA002.jpg
my home on go everywhere wheels...
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

........ and then,....... there were doors....
IMG-20160824-WA004.jpg
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

ag LEKKER !!
Fanusl
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Fanusl »

Ai Val dit is darem lekker om te sien hoe kom alles bymekaar. Ek het my wa ook so gevolg daar by Jaques en nou geniet ek hom baie. Ek soek maar net altyd 'n plekkie om te sleep en verder is daar maar altyd nog iets wat ek by sit of beplan om by te sit. Jy gaan hom geniet.
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

Dankie Fanus... ek weet ek sal. Sien uit na ons eerste wegkom kansie met die familie...

Return to “Open Discussion”