Random Water Reticulation Question

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
drew3
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Tuli Block
Vehicle: '01 Toyota Hilux 4x4 Raider 2.7i DC

Random Water Reticulation Question

Post by drew3 »

Hi there,

Looking for some input on a water pipeline I have on the reserve I am working on. Very simply, the line runs from the pump to a header tank, but along that line there are one or two taps that pumps to small pans. Actually, I have several setups like this on the reserve. Currently, I have to wait for the header tanks to overflow (float switch not an option) before I use the taps to switch over to the pans, which need to be pumped daily.

I want to install a float valve on the header tank to stop water flowing in once it is full, but then what I would like is that the water continue pumping to the pans automatically once the float valve has closed off.

There is no option of installing an electronic pressure switch.

I considered replacing each of the taps that run to the pans with a non-return valve, but very little pressure is require to push these open, meaning I am basically creating expensive holes in my pipeline.

Is there some form of non-electronic pressure switch/valve that anyone knows of, or does anybody have any other ideas that would work.

Thanks in advance.
2001 Hilux 4x4 Raider 2.7i DC
Dowe Koos
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Buschwagen 2.7 4x4

Re: Random Water Reticulation Question

Post by Dowe Koos »

Hello Drew, hope this help.
forum.png
What is the other guys said on this one.
Ecc 1:9 Wat gewees het, dit sal daar weer wees; en wat gebeur het, dit sal weer gebeur, en daar is glad niks nuuts onder die son nie.
Rigger
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: George
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 S/C 4x4

Post by Rigger »

As drew said, the non return only needs a little amount of pressure to open. The restriction through a ball valve might be more than that to open a non return causing all the water running to the pan.

I would personally as in the drawing above install ball valves in the pans as well as the tank
Dowe Koos

Post by Dowe Koos »

By the why, Drew if the pump is still running after the tank and the pan is full, somewhere pressure is started to build up which mean you must switch of the pump. If you don't want this, see the attached picture of what you can do. By this method you don't need to switched of the pump every time when the tank and the pan is full.
forum2.png
forum2.png (11.06 KiB) Viewed 3091 times
Ecc 1:9 Wat gewees het, dit sal daar weer wees; en wat gebeur het, dit sal weer gebeur, en daar is glad niks nuuts onder die son nie.
Dowe Koos

Post by Dowe Koos »

Well Martiens, I have done this many time and had never had a problem with a little pressure on the non-return valve. You can get non-return valves with different pressure setting.
Rigger
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: George
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 S/C 4x4

Post by Rigger »

Ok Hennie did not know about the different pressures. What you said then should work
drew3
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Re: RE: Re: Random Water Reticulation Question

Post by drew3 »

Dowe Koos wrote:Hello Drew, hope this help.
forum.png
Hi Dowe thanks for this. This is exactly what I had in mind but did not know you could get NR valves with greater pressure ratings. I will have to look around for them.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk
drew3
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by drew3 »

forum.png
Hi Dowe thanks for this. This is exactly what I had in mind but did not know you could get NR valves with greater pressure ratings. I will have to look around for them.

drew3
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by drew3 »

forum.png

drew3
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by drew3 »

Dowe Koos wrote:By the why, Drew if the pump is still running after the tank and the pan is full, somewhere pressure is started to build up which mean you must switch of the pump. If you don't want this, see the attached picture of what you can do. By this method you don't need to switched of the pump every time when the tank and the pan is full.
forum2.png
Thanks again Dowe. The pans can't really over flow and the header tank is drained regularly enough that water will divert back there as soon as the float valve drops. If I can find a non return valve with a higher setting I will try that method first.

Dowe Koos

Post by Dowe Koos »

Hi Drew, will check for you tomorrow what is there in the market and try to get for you some spec.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

I had posted earlier, but I see the post is not there .... maybe I didn't hit the 'submit' button. :crazy: :D:

Anyway, What might help is a larger, low-pressure ball valve at the header tank, but again a lot will depend on the head between the header tank and the pans.

What rate of flow and what kind of pressures are we talking about here?

Instead of N-R valves at the pans, you could use gate valves to create a restriction and shut these down so that you have a light flow at the header, but some flow at the pans as well. That way the header will fill slowly and once the ball valve shuts off the pans will still be getting water. This is what I would try first.

Another option, although perhaps pricey and impractical but that would work, is to eliminate the ball valve and run an overflow pipe from the header back to the pans. This would mean that you would always have to fill the header first before the pans got any water, so perhaps not ideal.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
FIRSTGEER
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Post by FIRSTGEER »

I have installed the controls to a few of these systems for farmers over the years.The system is actually very simple.
The pump feeds a header tank or resevoir with tee pieces feeding water to the various water troughs along its route.
Each trough and the resevoir or header tank has a decent high pressure ball valve installed to the inlet.

I then install a current monitor relay to the pump control.When the pump is switched on,the water is pumped up the pipe,filling each of the troughs along the way,to eventually fill the header tank after each of the troughs has been filled and all the ball valves have shut off.

When the header tank eventually fills up , the ball valve shuts,this causes a change in the amperage draw on the pump.The current monitor relay senses this amperage change and switches off the pump.The setting up of the monitor is very simple but may take a few times of filling and draining some of the water to fine tune the system.

A pump motor protector relay,which basically does the same thing as the current monitor relay can also be used.
PM me and I will give the relevant info on the relays.
FIRSTGEER
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Post by FIRSTGEER »

I have failed to mention that this can only be utilised if an eletrical pump is used.I am not certain if you are using a engine powered pump.
Dowe Koos

Post by Dowe Koos »

Hallo Drew.
I want to make some corrections, there are different type of non-return valve whereby some will call it check valve. The NRV I refer to is spring loaded non-return valve, this the one I had used for what you want.

The adjustable NRV or check valve I'm talking about, see the links;
http://valve.co.za/brands/gate-globe-ch ... -pn160-640" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://valve.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2 ... 40-Ass.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://valve.co.za/brands/gate-globe-ch ... -pn160-640" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://valve.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2 ... 60-640.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://valve.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2 ... 40-Ass.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://valve.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2 ... 60-640.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope this help.

By the way I had go to three place (normal pipe and valve suppliers for the public) and none of these had this in stock. Only people that can help you is those who specialized for industries.
Mountain Man
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: South Africa
Vehicle: Land Cruiser 79 Series 4.5 EFi

Post by Mountain Man »

drew3 wrote:Hi there,

Looking for some input on a water pipeline I have on the reserve I am working on. Very simply, the line runs from the pump to a header tank, but along that line there are one or two taps that pumps to small pans. Actually, I have several setups like this on the reserve. Currently, I have to wait for the header tanks to overflow (float switch not an option) before I use the taps to switch over to the pans, which need to be pumped daily.

I want to install a float valve on the header tank to stop water flowing in once it is full, but then what I would like is that the water continue pumping to the pans automatically once the float valve has closed off.

I considered replacing each of the taps that run to the pans with a non-return valve, but very little pressure is require to push these open, meaning I am basically creating expensive holes in my pipeline.

Is there some form of non-electronic pressure switch/valve that anyone knows of, or does anybody have any other ideas that would work.

Thanks in advance.
Hi Drew,

What is the size of the mainline to the header tank?
What is the head from the pump to:
1. Pan No 1?
2. Pan No 2?
3. The header tank?
What pressure is the pump able to deliver?

You may be able to use a pressure relief valve at each pan but it depends on the head (height difference) between the pans and the header tank etc, hence the questions above. If this works you will need the following:

1 x Float Valve (Ball Valve, like in a toilet cistern, although you get bigger ones for this application)
2 x Pressure Relief Valves (plus the fittings to connect to the mainline)

The way this will work is that once the header tank is full, the pressure relief valves will open and dump water into the pans. Should the header tank level drop the pressure relief valves will close and the water will divert to the header tank until it is full. The pressure relief valves are adjustable which you will have to set up once installed. This is a simple procedure requiring a spanner and a bit of time. This is not an electronic system. Once setup, you will only have to control the pump operation, all the rest will happen automatically. This all depends on the Pressure/head variants.
Just because it says "4WD" doesn't make it an off-road vehicle.
drew3
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by drew3 »

Mountain Man wrote:
drew3 wrote:Hi there,

Thanks in advance.
Hi Drew,

What is the size of the mainline to the header tank?
What is the head from the pump to:
1. Pan No 1?
2. Pan No 2?
3. The header tank?
What pressure is the pump able to deliver?

You may be able to use a pressure relief valve at each pan but it depends on the head (height difference) between the pans and the header tank etc, hence the questions above. If this works you will need the following:

1 x Float Valve (Ball Valve, like in a toilet cistern, although you get bigger ones for this application)
2 x Pressure Relief Valves (plus the fittings to connect to the mainline)

The way this will work is that once the header tank is full, the pressure relief valves will open and dump water into the pans. Should the header tank level drop the pressure relief valves will close and the water will divert to the header tank until it is full. The pressure relief valves are adjustable which you will have to set up once installed. This is a simple procedure requiring a spanner and a bit of time. This is not an electronic system. Once setup, you will only have to control the pump operation, all the rest will happen automatically. This all depends on the Pressure/head variants.
Hi Mountain Man.

Thanks for that. This does seem like the way I should go, but unfortunately I have no clue how to determine the head at the pan and at the header tank. Bit of a novice apparently. Any advice?

Tonto
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Paarl
Vehicle: 96 Hilux 2.4 efi DC SFA, Gomad canopy,

Post by Tonto »

I think you need pressure sustaining valves and a level control valve. the success will depend on the volume pumped, pump character and topography.
you can plot the pipe line on Google earth and send to me.
Try to get details on the pump as well.

Regards

Andre

Return to “Open Discussion”