Toyota kzte diff or brake-unit problem

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
Herms
Town: walvisbay
Vehicle: toyota hilux kzte

Toyota kzte diff or brake-unit problem

Post by Herms »

Good day

I'm looking for help regarding my toyota hilux. Recently i started hearing a sound like something is scrating as the rear wheels turned and quickly turned into a clapping sound. The abs light came on remaining on and there is a smell of warm oil or almost the same smell as a clutch burn. The left rear wheeldrum was also very hot and when driving a squelling sound together with that clapping sound.

Can anybody give me an indication? is it the dift or shafts or just a loose part of the braking system?

Thanks
Herman
lukestoyzx
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Griffith
Vehicle: 07 Hilux SR5

Re: Toyota kzte diff or brake-unit problem

Post by lukestoyzx »

Sounds like a collapsed wheel bearing for all that to happen at once.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Agree, sounds like wheel bearing. Don't drive it like that, you will damage other components besides the ABS that's undoubtedly already done for on that wheel.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Herms

Post by Herms »

Thanks. Any ideas round the cost on installing new bearings and if the abs is damaged, which I probably think is. Will the inner parts of the diff and shafts also be damage to an extend?

Thanks for the help.
lukestoyzx
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Griffith
Vehicle: 07 Hilux SR5

Post by lukestoyzx »

How long is a piece of string? Too many factors come into play. If it's collapsed bad enough to bust the brakes ya may have damaged the shaft but ya wont know till ya pull it down. Depends how long ya drove it after it happened! As for the abs it's probably just damaged the sensor.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
mcw
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: krugersdorp
Vehicle: Prado 90 V6 3.4 Auto
Club VHF Licence: X100

Post by mcw »

Hi Herman

did my Prado 90 series in December this last , did not do any brake parts ,only oils seal ,bearing retainers ,abs ring ,wheel bearing and oil , cost me around R3000.00 for parts ,did work myself .I built a homemade tool to remove wheel bearing from housing .and needed a press to remove it ,would not budge using FBH method

actual time took about 5 hrs and 4 beers

Martin
Herms

Post by Herms »

Thanks martin. Came to the conclusion it is both wheel bearings and luckily no damage to other parts as I took it apart it seems. So the parts for a complete wheel bearing set is around R 3000. Is there a recommended kit or make, as to toyota genuine parts are inaine with pricing.

Thanks for all the advice and help.
Herman
mcw
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: krugersdorp
Vehicle: Prado 90 V6 3.4 Auto
Club VHF Licence: X100

Post by mcw »

Hi Herman

been my experience on Toyota that pirate oils seals do not work rather fit
toyota and buy bearing from decent bearing manufacturers ,i do not like the bearing kits supplied by spares shops ,questionable quality ,could not get a toyota bearing for mine ,eventually got a known brand from BMG

Martin
Skilpad4X4
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Middelburg
Vehicle: 2004 Toyota kzte

Post by Skilpad4X4 »

Hi Herman
Kyk of jy n timken rear brg kit 176 kan kry dit is n volledige kit met alles in ,maak net seker die brg no op jou ou stel is dieselfde Hoop jy kom reg
Dawie

Return to “Open Discussion”