Exploring Bushman's Hoek Mountain rough & tough

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
SYRON CONVERSIONS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Exploring Bushman's Hoek Mountain rough & tough

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

Please be warned, if your vehicle does not have a high ground clearence, never even think you can attempt to drive up this mountain, there is no trail, you basically have to make your own, even though you have to drive up and over huge rocks sticking out of the mountain side, this climb is not for sissies. P/s your vehicle has to have twin lockers :thumbup:

Just a brief history about this area, in 1899 to 1902 The British forces had their tented camp below this mountain, they were protecting The Bushman's Pass against The Boers as well as the railway line that runs through this area, this pass was very important to the Boer War, from this area there are only three passes that had to be protected, these passes were the only way to get into The Eastern Cape from The Free State and this was one of them, anyway when The British were protecting this area, they had in fact made a track leading up to the top of this mountian by hand, packing rocks into place to place to make a track, so that they could get their wagons to the top, however after all this time, the original track had washed away and a fence has been put up across it as well, deviding the farm next door.

However I have been looking at this mountain climb now for a few months and looking at the original photo's from this area when The British were here and thus today I attempted to climb all the way up to the top with My Toyota Hilux 4x4 bakkie.
Higher up the mountain track, I was able to moce a few rocks from the edge of the track with the help of my wife, this gave us an entry point to use that put us back onto the original truck, but to get to this point, we basically had to climb straight up the mountain from the lower slopes below, now if my Hilux did not have the high ground clearence, twin ARB Lockers, Marlin Crawler as well as The Bridgestone 33" x 12.5 x 15" mud tyres fitted, I would never have made this attempt, Oh I nearly forgot, the balls hanging from the rear also helped :oops: :oops:
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
SYRON CONVERSIONS
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Re: Exploring Bushman's Hoek Mountain rough & tough

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Ottosdal
Vehicle: Rocky's

Re: Exploring Bushman's Hoek Mountain rough & tough

Post by ToyX4 »

agge nee wat, ek ry daai bergie met my 4x2 Ford op :lol: :lol: gaan nie eers die diff lock hoef te gebruik nie :lol:
ImageImage

Return to “Open Discussion”