CFL/FLUORECENT TUBES

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
hentey
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: worcester
Vehicle: 2700i 4x4

CFL/FLUORECENT TUBES

Post by hentey »

I want to make a serious post tonight.This is not something to joke about so please read carefully.
As an electrical contractor we work will literally thousands of electrical fluorecent tubes and cfl's and all the faulty stuff needs to be dumped on a weekly basis.This week however I was asked to produce some sort of letter stating that the faulty stuff (toxic) is disposed in a responsable manner.I was stunned to be honest,and did not know how to handle this one.I was briefly educated about the mercury getting into our underground water and the consequences.So my appeal to you tonight is please do not dump your old fluoresent tubes and cfl;s in the normal way but find a way to please the green people.Ask yourself the question,WHAT IS THE QUALITY OF THE WATER THAT I WANT TO LEAVE TO MY CHILDREN AND MY GRAND CHILDREN???? WE DO HAVE A WATER CRISIS AT HAND ALREADY. YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE.
Let us put pressure on the local authorities to provide the necessary infra structure.

Please feel free to comment or add to this post.
Dadz Toy BFI

Re: CFL/FLUORECENT TUBES

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

I'm with you on this one Hentey :!:

It's becoming a serious issue and as I find it shocking that given the Government worked so hard with their CFL's for incandescent globe exchange problem, they've made no effort to provode safe waste disposal facilities. :shock: :o: :x
hentey
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: worcester
Vehicle: 2700i 4x4

Post by hentey »

I'm so glad to report that Woolies WILLOWBRIDGE has a bin specialy for CFL's that has done their duty and to be disposed responsably.This is a gaint leap forward.Thanks to management.You guys rock. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
2.8 d/cab SFA
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: Yamaha R1

Post by 2.8 d/cab SFA »

:thumbup: great idea, thanks for informing me, will definitly use the woollies bin
John
Real Trucks Don't Have Sparkplugs!
ImageImage
dalkill
Town: Cape TOwn
Vehicle: 2.4 GD6 SR D/C 4x4

Post by dalkill »

Thanks for the post.
I ussually just chuck it in the bin... now to find a CFL bin near CT CBD.
Anyone know of one. Maybe woolies.
2016 2.4GD6 SR D/C 4x4 (Oct 2022 - current) (Buraaq VI)
2007 d4d 3.0 D/C 4x4 (Mar 2016 - July 2022) (Buraaq V)
2003 Isuzu KB300 D/C 4x4 (May 2015 - Feb 2016) aka Buraaq IV
2000 hilux DC 2.7 4x4 (Jul 2011 - Sep 2012) aka Buraaq III
1999 RXI 20v (Nov 2009 - Jul 2011) aka Quicksilver
1990 hilux DC 2.2 4x4 (Jun 2008 - Jul 2011) aka Buraaq II
1997 corolla 160i GLE (Feb 2007 - Sep 2009) aka Green Goblin
1990 GLI twincam (still my fav rolla) (Oct 2005 - Mar 2007) aka Wit Blitz
Golf GTI 2.0 (temp insanity for 2months) (Jun 2005 - Aug 2005) aka A mistake
1993 hilux SC 2.2 4x4 (April 2003 - Sept 2005) aka Buraaq

TOYOTA IS MY LEWE
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Where is the mercury in the CFL globes.

I have had one or two broken and did not see anything running out. The other question, if broken does it still help to take it to a disposal site or can you then simply dump it with your regular waste?
King Rat
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by King Rat »

Ek het ook nie geweet dis n probleem nie, toe wiki ek gou:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluorescen ... _recycling
'The disposal of phosphor and particularly the toxic mercury in the tubes is an environmental issue. Governmental regulations in many areas require special disposal of fluorescent lamps separate from general and household wastes. For large commercial or industrial users of fluorescent lights, recycling services are available in many nations, and may be required by regulation. In some areas, recycling is also available to consumers. The need for a recycling infrastructure is an issue with instituting proposed bans of incandescent bulbs'

En ek het hier by die Woolies ouens gevra en elke Woolies winkel behoort so n bin te he om die bulbs in weg te gooi.
Datsun GX Coupe 1200
99 Subaru Legacy GT
07 Alfa Romeo GT 3.2 V6

Lampropeltis getula californiae, Orthriophis taeniura friesi, Morelia spilota, Python brongersmai, Epicrates chenchria maurus, Python regius

Return to “Open Discussion”