Canopy Modification

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
Scooter
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: JHB
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

Canopy Modification

Post by Scooter »

As I am not going to be in the market for a nice new "camping canopy" any time in the near future, I have been thinking about modifying my existing fibreglass one.

What I am thinking of doing is to remove the two side sliding windows.
Then I would make a frame of sorts to fasten some aluminium plate to, thereby creating a door.
Then I would use door rubber or such as the seal, using the same ledge as the window rubbers used.
Some nice hinges to attach and a lock of sorts to finish it off.

I reckon it would work and not ake away from the structural (or lack there of) integrity of the canopy.
But it would allow me easier access to the rear of the loadbin, even if it is not the biggest door.

Any thoughts, or ideas?
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vanderbijlpark
Vehicle: 98 LTD Hilux 4x4 SFA, 2JZ GE L6 VVT-i 3.0i, Bilstein shox, OME and a Land Cruiser 79 series

Re: Canopy Modification

Post by Spartan »

My brother inlaw told me in Joburg there is a place doing exacly that, havent got more detail but it is being done. :think:
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Two things I can think of.

Firstly the door will not be recessed so the seal will have to be tight so as not to allow water and dust in.

And secondly because it doesnt sit recessed, it will be easy to stick screwdriver in and pry the door open. This can be overcome by placing 2 locks on the bottom and by making the frame as close a fit to the hole as possible, thereby giving it rigidity.
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: 98 LTD Hilux 4x4 SFA, 2JZ GE L6 VVT-i 3.0i, Bilstein shox, OME and a Land Cruiser 79 series

Post by Spartan »

Like the idea :thumbup:
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
SuidWes
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: Prado 120 VX
Club VHF Licence: B35

Post by SuidWes »

Hey Scooter, let me know if you want to buy ali checker plate, got half a sheet that I will not be using.... :thumbup:
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away - George Carlin
Bosvark
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Hilux 2200 D/C AUS specs

Post by Bosvark »

Watter grootte is die plaat,stel meskien belang
SuidWes wrote:Hey Scooter, let me know if you want to buy ali checker plate, got half a sheet that I will not be using.... :thumbup:
n vark bly maar n vark
ThysdJ
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Scott I know of a few people who did this modification with varying degrees of success. The more successful guys built a frame that attached to the canopy to which the door is attached. This makes up for lost rigidity from the now removed window frame and glass. :D

Are you planning on carrying a load on top of the canopy? :)
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

SuidWes wrote:Hey Scooter, let me know if you want to buy ali checker plate, got half a sheet that I will not be using.... :thumbup:
Sounds as Jaco, what size is the plate? Im sure it is enough to cover up two windows. PM me with a price.
Kaspaas wrote:Scott I know of a few people who did this modification with varying degrees of success. The more successful guys built a frame that attached to the canopy to which the door is attached. This makes up for lost rigidity from the now removed window frame and glass. :D

Are you planning on carrying a load on top of the canopy? :)
Thys, I probably wont be carrying a load on it, bar a table or something. But perhaps designing for a load wouldn't be such a bad thing.
hentey
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: worcester
Vehicle: 2700i 4x4

Post by hentey »

Scott,I was onto the same thing a while ago,and then I saw that BEEKMAN canopy's make side panels that fit into the frame rubbers and it looks really nice.Phoned them and the quate was just over R1000 a piece which isn't that bad.
Your canopy stays original and you can easily convert it back if you want to. Problem solved........... :thumbup:
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Hentey, is that just a panel to replace the glass or is it a door?

And of course, is it not then Beekman canopy specific?
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

It would be "canopy specific" if it's produced by Beekman, I think. But reading through this post right from the begining I thought that you would loose rigidity by remeving the glass and I was going to suggest a frame with a lip, but Thuys beat me to it :D . If the frame is lipped and the hatch fits inside the lip, it would be very difficult to pry it open, provided the clearance gap is small (between frame and door). The only downfall is the method of attaching the frame IRO security. Perhaps if you used something like 6mm ss bolts with allen key head and nyloc nuts inside, it would make it less possible to remove the whole frame from outside. :think:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
hentey
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by hentey »

Scooter wrote:Hentey, is that just a panel to replace the glass or is it a door?

And of course, is it not then Beekman canopy specific?
It is a door,but it is for Beekman canopy's as far as I know.Visit beekman's website and you will see.
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

I saw what you are talking about Hentey, and even that is not too difficult to make. Build a fairly rigid frame with a lip that is the same shape as the window and will fit in the window-rubber, and then build a door that is attached to that frame. The 2 locks will make it pretty secure. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

ok so I did a quick sketch this morning. Have a look and let's throw some ideas around.

Thanks so far guys :thumbup:

One Idea........... quite complex but should work.
DOOR.jpg
DOOR.jpg (14.43 KiB) Viewed 3329 times
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

That is a good start Scott! It should work brilliantly. :thumbup:
Thys de Jager

Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Scott I fooled with you sketch a little. I would have the door completely recessed so that there is no external lip under which one could get a screwdriver in to pry the door. The hinges I would mount to the internal edges so that the buggers can't get to the screws (let in on the door so that the upper gap is not too big). Otherwise the idea should be 100's.
Just my opinion for what it's worth. :wink:

DOOR2.JPG
DOOR2.JPG (11.13 KiB) Viewed 3281 times

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
hentey
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by hentey »

Just an idea........If you make it so that one tilts down(to serve as a table) and one that tilts up(for easier access) :idea: :idea: Whadya tink?
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Excellent idea, Hentey ... you shoulda been twins! ... not like me, I have the brains of two people ... Laurel & Hardy! :mrgreen:

ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

hentey wrote:Just an idea........If you make it so that one tilts down(to serve as a table) and one that tilts up(for easier access) :idea: :idea: Whadya tink?
A lot of people building alu-cabs do it that way. I know Niel's canopy has a "table" door. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

Kaspaas wrote:I know Niel's canopy has a "table" door.
2 plate gas stove is attached and works well for putting the beer down :thumbup: :thumbup:
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

2 plate gas stove is attached and works well for putting the beer down
Niel, is yours an alu canopy? A gas stove so close to the canopy could pose a problem (IRO glassfibre / resin). The beer of course would be no problem and would look good anywhere :mrgreen:

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Mud Dog wrote:Scott I fooled with you sketch a little.
No worries Andy, I have people foling with my drawings all day, so nothing new. :thumbup:

I see your point about the screws and have had a few ideas that Im still pondering over. One of the main problems is fitting the new frame to the existing window rubber so that it is snug. I havent removed one fo the windows yet so I haven't had a good look.

The main reason for doing this is to gain access to the rear of the canopy without having to climb inside, as i would like to build a drawer system that allows me to leave the fridge on the lower level, to allow SWAMBO easy access. Of course this means that the space behind the fridge is kinda wasted unless you can get to it from the side,mhence the door idea.

The other side of the canopy, well a 'table' door is a good idea, as that side will have a slide and I wont need easy access.

Keep the ideas rolling guys :thumbup:
Niel

Post by Niel »

for what this is worth , the "table door" should be on the left hand side of the canopy...If you stop then the table is not on the road side
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Scott, just make sure the "table door" is not so high that you need to stand on a steppie to use it. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Niel wrote:I you stop then the table is not on the road side
Jou slim wetter :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

Niel

Post by Niel »

Mud Dog wrote:Niel, is yours an alu canopy? A gas stove so close to the canopy could pose a problem (IRO glassfibre / resin).
Yes, alu.
Mud Dog wrote:The beer of course would be no problem and would look good anywhere
still looks the best in my hand :lol:
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Niel wrote:for what this is worth , the "table door" should be on the left hand side of the canopy...If you stop then the table is not on the road side
It just so happens thats the side it will be :thumbup: , only because the fridge is on the right though :wink:

I will need to check the height, I might be the only one who could use it and that's no good. :twisted:

Of course all this talk about modifying the windows and all the design in it, I should probably just look at building a new canopy.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

You could fit parliment hinges or off-set hinges and then it would drop a lot lower when open. But a complete new alu canopy is a good idea too :D: .... then you can build according to your requirements :thumbup:

OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

I did this last year and with the left door folding down, hinged another door on the inside. this worked perfect for me and the kids.

Also Big Country are doing the same for customers, have a look at theis site otherwise pm me and I can email a pic.
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Spartan »

OOOOMS wrote: have a look at theis site
Where is the site :?: :?: :?: :?:
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider