Jo'Burg to Cape Town via Lesotho and Eastern Cape

Need some information for an upcoming trip or have questions about a camping site, etc, ask it here.
4x4 Junkie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D-4D 4x4 DC A/T

Jo'Burg to Cape Town via Lesotho and Eastern Cape

Post by 4x4 Junkie »

Both my wife and I don't enjoy the hoity-toity type of holidays, the simpler the better. All I need is an electric pump for the mattress and a shower. The rest is luxury.

With this in mind; in 2007 my wife and I did a road trip from Cape Town all the way through the Southern Cape to Hogsback via Addo Elephant Park. The original plan was to then still drive from Hogsback to Coffeebay just before turning the Lux's nose south again towards the fairest Cape, crossing the infamous Kei River. But unfortunately the fuel prices took a turn for the worst in that year and we had to make our rendezvous at Hogsback.

Now four years later it is time to stretch Wit Blitz' legs and explore the beautiful country we live in. This is a plan of our route:

We will leave Cape Town on the 19th of December and push right through to Thabazimbi to arrive there that evening – a hectic stretch, but I’ll be okay. Thabazimbi offers some of the most beautiful scenery in the bushveld and there are lots to see within an hour’s drive. The plan is to pay a visit to Marakele National Park, Waterberge, Krans Berg and whatever else gets recommended. We will leave Thabazimbi on the 27th and head to Jo'burg - a quick two day stopover to say howzit to some family and friends.

On the 30th it will be time for us to head out of the city and head for tranquilty - Lesotho hear we come. Because this will be our first time visiting Lesotho, we'll be trying to stick to the main roads as far as possible and only venture onto the "bridal paths" when we have confirmed the safety aspect with some of the locals.

We will enter Lesotho in the North at Fouriesburg and head for Katse dam via Butha-Buthe. Accomodation close to Katse seems to be a bit of a headache at the moment and I hope I'll be able to confirm a campsite not too far, before we depart Cape Town.

On the morning of the 31st we're hoping to tag along for a tour of the dam wall, heard this is an experience to be remembered. Around lunch time we'll be heading for the Roma Trading Post via Thaba-Tseka. This will also be our greeting place to bid 2011 farewell and great 2012 - hopefully with some bubbly to celebrate the occasion.

On the 1st of January we head for Malealea for a two day stop over and explore the gorges and trails in the area. I hear there are some awesome rivers for flyfishing in this area. Here fishy,fishy,fishy ...The plan is then to leave Lesotho on the 3rd at Tele Bridge. I'm really hoping there will be enough time to pay a quick visit to the Tele Falls before exiting the border post.

From here we will head down to Coffee Bay (we couldn't make it this far in 2007, remember) for a two day stop over ...apparently there is some story of a guy who kicked a hole in some wall or something, we'll go see what that was about and hopefully get some more fishing in.

This will in theory mark the end of our road trip. From here Wit Blitz will start going into autopilot heading back to the Cape. We make a quick overnight stop in Harkerville to pay our respects to the mystical Garden of Eden. On the afternoon of the 6th of January 2012 we should have the seventh natural wonder of the world in sight.

Depending on connectivity I'll update this thread as regularly as possible.

This is what I have done as far as planning goes.:

1. The Lux is serviced and ready for the long hual.
2. Passports ready.
3. The bank know about my plans to cross an international border, I now just wait for the necessary documentation.
4. Route is decided upon, with accommodation and overnight stops confirmed – except for Katse. If there is anyone with some contact details for anything besides the Katse Dam Lodge, please let me know.
5. Did an estimate of fuel usage. (Availability of fuel on route through Lesotho. I am guessing if I fill up in Fouriesburg, this will get me to Roma. Here I will fill a few extra Jerry cans before heading for Malealea. Any advice here will be welcomed)

Lesotho is really one of those dream destinations and both the wifie and I are super stoked to be granted this opportunity.

We’ll keep you posted.

Keep ‘em rollin’ rollin’ rollin’
If you still have blank pages in your passport, it's probably time for a road trip.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Re: Jo'Burg to Cape Town via Lesotho and Eastern Cape

Post by OOOOMS »

Nice looooong trip Julian, around Roma there are quite few fuel stations, at least x4 :thumbup:
Bulletjie-3
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: Hilux Raider SFA met 7M-GE engine

Post by Bulletjie-3 »

Hi Julian, If you want a serious 4x4 trail near Fouriesburg go for Ventersberg (not alone). When you enter Lesotho from Fouriesburg right ontop of the mountain (3000+m) you will get a new built lodge on the left (close to the road). There is a viewpoint worth to visit. On the left there's a waterfall and follow the river to the right in the distance you will see a brigde - what a place to camp and catch forell.
4x4 Junkie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by 4x4 Junkie »

Everdt, klink vir my ek sal trippie 'n mis moet gee. Dis net ek en Swambo, as ek vas val op die eerste dag van ons trip sal ek nie die einde daarvan hoor nie.

Is dit genuine so hectic dat mens twee voertuie moet wees?
If you still have blank pages in your passport, it's probably time for a road trip.
Bulletjie-3
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Bulletjie-3 »

Net daardie 4x4 roete naby Fouriesburg as jy hom wil doen. Andersins Lesotho, Katse dam ens kan jy alleen ry hoor. Die locals is vriendelik en hulle help graag. Ek sal definitief weer terug wil gaan.
4x4 Junkie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by 4x4 Junkie »

Great! Ek dink ek gaan hierdie trippie maar rustig vat. Baie dankie vir die tip. Kan nou nie meer wag nie.

Miskien moet jy saamkom :cool:
Bulletjie-3
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Bulletjie-3 »

Julian gaan en geniet dit, dis mooi wereld. Ons het fotos geneem waar ons wil selfs by Katse dam en en .... Niks om voor bang te wees nie rerig.
4x4 Junkie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by 4x4 Junkie »

Lovely. Dankie Everdt :thumbup:

OOOOMS, jammer ek het jou boodskap gemis. Ja nee, dis min of meer 'n 5000km round trip. Die diesel maak meer as 80% van die totale koste uit :tease: :blackeye: Maar dis 'n trippie wat nie sommer gou weer gaan gebeur nie so gaan die beste daarvan maak.

Dankie vir die heads up oor diesel in Roma :thumbup:
2.8 d/cab SFA
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: Yamaha R1

Post by 2.8 d/cab SFA »

Camping at Katse dam i didnt book as i could not get hold of anyone. It was R20, you pay at the visitors centre, and there is ablutions; toilet and hot water showers, no electrical points just open camping.
Just remember even though there is tar roads to Katse, it is slow driving, give yourself time, serious hairpin bends. I nealry missed the tour. :shifty:
John
Real Trucks Don't Have Sparkplugs!
ImageImage
Bulletjie-3
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Bulletjie-3 »

Should you drive from Bethlehem to Clarens direction on the righthandside there is a turnoff Auston or Astin station (wateraffairs). How big are the pipping they used for the waterfeed to SA ? See for yourself.
4x4 Junkie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by 4x4 Junkie »

Bad news! Semongkong is fully booked and we had no choice but to make some adjustments to the trip. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: We'll be stopping over at Ramabanta rather and do a day trip up to Semongkong. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Return to “Route Planning questions/discussions”