Atlantis - first visit

Need some information for an upcoming trip or have questions about a camping site, etc, ask it here.
adrianpunt
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D4D 4x4

Atlantis - first visit

Post by adrianpunt »

Hi there,

Sorry if this has been mentioned before. I'm planning a trip to Atlantis dunes on Sunday. Some friends and I will be sand boarding, but I'm more keen on the 4x4'ing involved. We have never been there before and not sure what expect.

A permit is needed right? Could I get one there at the gate? And where exactly is a 'gate' on a Sunday? :)

As mentioned, not sure what to expect inline of path and route markings etc.

Would be very thankful if someone could help with some into!

Cheers,
Adrian
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Strand WC
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4, 2.41t Raider 1998 DC - front & rear difflock, 140lt fuel tank, 31" BFG a/t, snorkel, drawer system, alucab canopy, driver with attitude.
Club VHF Licence: X112

Re: Atlantis - first visit

Post by GI Jane »

Don't think that you will be able to get a permit at the gate. When I have been, permits have normally been arranged during the week by someone in or going to town.... also don't know whether you are going to get much response now from those in the know, because a lot of people are away or in the process of going away.. Sorry I could'nt be more helpful.

In the event of your being able to get in on Sunday... this is a copy of some co-ordinates on another post on Atlantis dunes... don't know is this will help

Big Dune - S33.58505 E18.44272
Landy Gat - S33.59587 E18.42810
Horse Shoe - S33.58424 E18.42892
Braaigat - S33.57686 E18.44351
Breakaway - S33.57660 E18.43334
Dogleg - S33.58976 E18.42962
Half Moon - S33.59758 E18.43291
Main Gate - S33.59840 E18.44881
Main Exit - S33.59855 E18.44585
Second Gate - S33.58844 E18.45857
Second Exit - S33.58195 E18.44646
Trees - S33.58118 E18.45124
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

jip, NO permits at the gate.

Each time I went somebody else in the group arranged the permits ahead of time ... so I cant even tell you where to go to.

permits are normally bought during the week, but can (could) be bought on some Saturdays as well.

PS - take NOTE of where you enter !! Many have gotton lost and struggled to find the gate on the way out. :)

PPS - PM Thys and ask for more detail
adrianpunt

Post by adrianpunt »

Thanks for your help! Anyone know where to get permits on a sat?
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

One can get other permits at the GPO ..... might be worth a try if no one else has a definite answer. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Gideonvanzyl
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: Hilux 2.7 D/C 4x4

Post by Gideonvanzyl »

adrianpunt wrote:Hi there,

Sorry if this has been mentioned before. I'm planning a trip to Atlantis dunes on Sunday. Some friends and I will be sand boarding, but I'm more keen on the 4x4'ing involved. We have never been there before and not sure what expect.

A permit is needed right? Could I get one there at the gate? And where exactly is a 'gate' on a Sunday? :)

As mentioned, not sure what to expect inline of path and route markings etc.

Would be very thankful if someone could help with some into!

Cheers,
Adrian

Hi Adrian, I was there today and witnessed a fortuner connecting a brand new Amarok with 129km on the clock, headon on a dune. The Fortuner was in my group and we were 1st at the obstacle. However, the Amarok was in another group and they were doing dougnuts next to us when the Amarok decided the to the dune from the other side. My message is, always know what is behind the dune you are going to drive up, get someone as a lookout on the dune to be your eyes. Anyway, the Fortuner had minor damage at the bottom of the bumper, but the Amarok took a terrible hit (now called the Amacrok). The bonnet could not close and had dents in it, trimmings fell of around the spotlights, even the badge fell off. The bumper is destroyed and inside the engine bay many things was bend and the bumper pushed back passed the fenders. I recon the damage is not less than R80 000.
Be carefull when you go to the dunes, I would rather go with someone that have been there before and that can show you around. Anyway, enjoy if you go tomorrow, we had a great time today.
Toyota Hilux 2.7 Legend 35 (Bullnose) 2003 d/cab 4x4 with Cooper Discoverer AT 3's on with unichip and Powerflow exhaust. Name: Blouwillebees
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Adrian, You can only get permits at the municipal offices next to the police station in Atlantis on Saturday mornings. No permits are available at the gate.

Otherwise during the week you get permits from City of CT (Bulk Water) in Wale St. There are threads with contact details and pointing out where to go on the forum if you want to search for them.

Yes I was there with Gideon today when this little Amarok/Fortuner mishap occurred. I even have pictures, which I will post soon. Please be careful when doing the 4x4 thing in the dunes, especially on Sundays, when there is usually lots of vehicles in the dunes.

'nother thing... the Ford is brilliant in the sand... :clap: :clap: :clap:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Gideonvanzyl
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: Hilux 2.7 D/C 4x4

Post by Gideonvanzyl »

'nother thing... the Ford is brilliant in the sand... :clap: :clap: :clap:[/quote]

Ja Thys, hy skop gat. Jy gaan nog 'n paar Toyota manne lelik pak gee. Hy het my impress :thumbup:
Toyota Hilux 2.7 Legend 35 (Bullnose) 2003 d/cab 4x4 with Cooper Discoverer AT 3's on with unichip and Powerflow exhaust. Name: Blouwillebees
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Gideon wrote:I was there today and witnessed a fortuner connecting a brand new Amarok with 129km on the clock, headon on a dune.
:wth: :eh:
DJ Thys wrote:Yes I was there with Gideon today when this little Amarok/Fortuner mishap occurred. I even have pictures, which I will post soon.
GOOI! :laugh2:
Thys-Bud wrote:.... 'nother thing... the Ford is brilliant in the sand...
Ja, ja, ja .... :tongue:

:D:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
adrianpunt

Post by adrianpunt »

Thanks all. Yes we will have a couple of vehicles with radios and what not and will be careful. I take it they check for permits at the gate and won't let you in without one right..

Is it very technical? Very loose and soft?

Cheers!
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Crooza VX 80 EFI
Club VHF Licence: HC 127

Post by zepplin »

adrianpunt wrote:Very loose and soft?
Sand always is. Lower tyre pressures & remember - momentum is king!
Crooza VX 80 efi - fully locked.
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

adrianpunt wrote:Thanks all. Yes we will have a couple of vehicles with radios and what not and will be careful. I take it they check for permits at the gate and won't let you in without one right..

Is it very technical? Very loose and soft?

Cheers!
You wont get in without a permit Adrian. The sand was surprisingly soft after the rain we had last week, especially closer to the top of the dunes. As Steve says, lower tyre pressures to increase traction. You can deflate progressively as you carry on, to see where the "sweet spot" is. :thumbup:
Ja, ja, ja .... :tongue:
Nee regtig Andy, I was impressed... seriously impressed.. :thumbup: :thumbup: Remember I am used to 33" MTR's and 140kW.. 30" road tyres and 80kW is "virgin" territory for me.. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...

Return to “Route Planning questions/discussions”